atheists answer this

Shitrock
Theist
User is offlineOffline
atheists answer this

atheists all seem to operate on just as many blind faiths lacking in evidence as the most staunch theists.  the blind faith that humanity knows all there is to know about what is and is not logically possible.  how can anyone claim to know the limits of logical possibility?  

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis

Shitrock
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:i

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
i would never try to say how anyone else should live their life.  but this forum suggests that my faith in god needs to be "fixed".  and quite frankly, im offended.

Why would you be offended?   Did anyone twist your arm to make you come to this forum?  If so, let me know who it was and I'll have them flogged.  If you're so offended, go to a theist forum and have a good time.  We wish you the best.

Would you rather we lie to you and tell you that we think your beliefs are awesome?

i dont bury my head in the sand when something i dont like comes along.   and i would not rather people lie.  i would rather people be as open minded and accepting of other peoples beliefs as they would like others to be of theirs.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis

Shitrock
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:By your

latincanuck wrote:

By your description your god cannot be proven to exist or not to exist, however I personally, when it comes to gods, require some form of evidence, yours is no more proven than the tea pot idea, as such i have no reason to believe that your god is any more real than any other god that is been presented, you have no evidence for such said god, as such I have no requirement to believe in it either.

i would never require it of anyone to believe in a god.

-C.S. Lewis

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:im sorry. i

Shitrock wrote:

im sorry. i didnt realize i had to spell it out for you.  there arent any werewolves on earth.  the question of god is outside science because god is not limited by the same scientific laws that humans are.  if he were he wouldnt be god.

You are going out on a limb with that second sentence, unless you have literally observed every point on the earth simultaneously, or have built a reliable worldwide werewolf detector.  All you can say is "no reports of the phenomenon have ever been found credible".

You can also say "the phenomenon is physically impossible, due to problems with violating basic physical laws such as conservation of matter and energy"; after all, where would the extra mass for the transformation come from?

Now, please note that these two statements apply both to werewolves and any god.

See the parallels?

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:fine. the

Shitrock wrote:

fine.  the god i believe in is a dispassionate, detached creator/observer of the human drama.

That is not an ontology. A list of attributes and functions is meaningless without substance to apply them to. We've already established that it's "not nature". So what is it?

Shitrock wrote:
he has no real influence on our physical lives or on the physical universe.  aside from creating it and getting the evolutionary ball rolling.

These two sentences are in direct conflict with one another.

Shitrock wrote:
anyway, im not trying to provide evidence for god.  im merely saying that believing there is no god/not having a belief in god are faiths just as much as christianity.

And I am showing you why that is a foolish thing to say. Never mind what Christians believe, YOUR OWN definition of "god", as it stands, is ontologically equivalent to "nothing". How much "faith" does is it take to disbelieve that "nothing" created the universe and oversees human affairs?

Shitrock wrote:
and that is because there is no concrete evidence to support either idea.

I'm not asking for evidence. That is a privilege that is earned AFTER coherency is established.

Shitrock wrote:
1. i wont go into why i believe in god.

I didn't ask why you believe. You said this:

"god is outside science"

I asked this:

"How did you figure that out?" (i.e., by what means)

Shitrock wrote:
2. he doesnt

I still don't get this. Earlier you said "god" created the universe - does that constitute an interaction with nature? (HINT: yes)

Or are you saying nowadays he just chooses not to? You still need to answer the question either way: by what mechanism does a supernatural entity interact with nature?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:im sorry. i

Shitrock wrote:

im sorry. i didnt realize i had to spell it out for you.  there arent any werewolves on earth.  the question of god is outside science because god is not limited by the same scientific laws that humans are.  if he were he wouldnt be god.

there isn't concrete evidence that there are no werewolves on earth. the earth hasn't been completely checked for werewolves.  and werewolves are not limited by the same scientific laws that humans are either. it's a man that turns into a wolf for cryin out loud. so why is your disbelief in werewolves more justifiable than my disbelief in god?

don't you think you are being a little arrogant here? not only do you not have silver bullets but you're declaring that werewolves don't exist with a degree of certitude you couldn't possibly have.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:ok.  there

Shitrock wrote:

ok.  there IS concrete evidence that werewolves dont exist.  none have ever been seen scientifically observed.  but the question of god is outside the realm of science.  so bringing science into the debate is flawed.

Special pleading.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
But you are asking me

Shitrock wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

By your description your god cannot be proven to exist or not to exist, however I personally, when it comes to gods, require some form of evidence, yours is no more proven than the tea pot idea, as such i have no reason to believe that your god is any more real than any other god that is been presented, you have no evidence for such said god, as such I have no requirement to believe in it either.

i would never require it of anyone to believe in a god.

Not to disprove your idea of god? Why shouldn't I? Why should I try to disprove claims made by people about things they cannot prove? The concept of this god is more concret or real than the concept presented in the movie the matrix, that this reality is nothing more than a computer generated reality, you cannot prove this anymore than you can prove your god? So why should I believe you and your claims of gods? Why shouldn't I be allowed to disprove the god(s) presented to us by religion? Why shouldn't I be allowed to disprove the dogma presented to us by religion? or other people that believe in god but don't follow religion? It is our right with freedom of speech to express our opinions about this, you don't have to like it, but I am allowed to laugh at your idea of god or disprove in anyway that I can, or disagree with your idea of god. Just as you have the right to express your opinion on atheism.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote: ok.  there

Shitrock wrote:

ok.  there IS concrete evidence that werewolves dont exist.  none have ever been seen scientifically observed.  but the question of god is outside the realm of science.  so bringing science into the debate is flawed.

Actually there is NO concrete evidence that werewolves exist that is why we can deductively assume that werewolves do not exist. Stating that there is evidence to support the non-existence of werewolves is flawed.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:atheists all seem to

Quote:

atheists all seem to operate on just as many blind faiths lacking in evidence as the most staunch theists.  the blind faith that humanity knows all there is to know about what is and is not logically possible.  how can anyone claim to know the limits of logical possibility?

I'm a Power Ranger. I spend my days fighting Putties and evil monsters using awesome kung-fu moves and a robot dinosaur.

Do you believe what I just said?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:i dont bury my head in

Quote:
i dont bury my head in the sand when something i dont like comes along.   and i would not rather people lie.  i would rather people be as open minded and accepting of other peoples beliefs as they would like others to be of theirs.

Aha...  I see where you're coming from.  That being the case, we should definitely abolish all political parties, and we should certainly make sure nobody forms any kind of movement.  You know, like the environmental movement, women's rights, etc.  All kinds of groups out there tell people they should live their lives differently than they do, and you have a point.  It's really, really bad to offend people.  It's so bad, that everyone should always accept everybody else, no matter what.

From now on, I accept your world view, and I'll never tell you when I disagree with you.  I'm also retracting everything bad I've ever said about racists and pedophiles.  After all, they have their own view on the world, and its' not up to me to tell them what they're doing is harmful to themselves and others.  It's better not to offend.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:im sorry. i didnt

Quote:

Sure sounds ridiculous of me to say that you don't know, so you can't say so.  But it's true.  You don't know for certain that there aren't any werewolves.  Maybe they live in a secret bunker deep beneath the ground in a remote forest in Canada.  Nobody would ever notice them.  You simply can't say for sure unless you can see every possible place on the planet at the same time!  (They could move around while you were surveying another place, after all!)

Guess what.  It is kind of silly to say that werewolves might exist.  There's no evidence for them.  None at all.  To say that they exist is foolish.

Now you know why we're atheists.  For the same reason you're an a-werewolfist.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:there is no

Shitrock wrote:

there is no HARD CONCRETE evidence that suggests that there is no god either.

There is no HARD CONCRETE evidence that leprechans, the tooth fairy, and magical unicorns don't exist either. There's a reason for that. I don't have to come up with evidence that something doesn't exist. Holy shitrock.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:ok.  there

Shitrock wrote:

I'm sorry, you'll have to run that by me again. Do you mean to say the only imaginary creature that gets special treatment is whatever god you choose? C'mon. That's just being silly.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:It is impossible

aiia wrote:

It is impossible to have concrete evidence that something does not exist.

If something does not exist there is no evidence.

Shitrock, try the ideas above on for size. Just two sentences, no mincing of words, and no evasion or metaphysical dodging. If something doesn't exist, there probably won't be any evidence of it.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:the specific

Shitrock wrote:

the specific definition of the god in question is entirely irrelevant.  what i am saying is that the belief that god does not exist has no more evidence to support it than the belief that god does exist.  therefore its a blind faith.

Then it is not blind faith to not believe in something that is undefined.  If there is no concept of a god then there is no active rejection of a belief.  A two  day old child that has no knowledge of the entire world does not have blind faith in his lack of knowledge, he just hasn't been exposed to knowledge. 

Your point is to show that Atheists are engaging in an active process of blind faith akin to the believer who has blind faith in a particular concept of what a god is.  Until you present a concept and match it to our supposed blind faith then you don't have a point to make.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Gawed has evidence ? Where ?

Gawed has evidence ? Where ? I want to see. I heard he was amazing , and a dude of course, like me, his favorite kind .... way macho, powerful too.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:atheists all

Shitrock wrote:

atheists all seem to operate on just as many blind faiths lacking in evidence as the most staunch theists.  the blind faith that humanity knows all there is to know about what is and is not logically possible.   

Not me.  But thanks for illustrating YOUR faith on the issue.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:but the

Shitrock wrote:

but the question of god is outside the realm of science.  so bringing science into the debate is flawed.

Or perhaps it's placing God outside the realm of science that's flawed.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah , how dare us for

Yeah , how dare us for thinking , pluck our eyes out , save ourselves, on our knees .... pray ???? Does any one know the prayer !!!?  The dogmists say they do .....

WHY does DOGMA still work ? 

What is Dogma ?

Dogma is all of religious labeling of division, fueled by peoples fear of life and death, offering false cures, spurred by the greed of the sick authoritarians. ~~~

I AM GOD , and no division is possible , the perfection is me, the christ , just as YOU , as all is 100% god .... Fuck dogma. 

dogma ------>       <----- christ YOU / ME / GOD

Story Jesus went to the temple and trashed the place. Why? Ask yourself, no other, YOURSELF. Do your 40 days, ALONE .....

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
well...

This one is easy. Logic is finite. What a person cannot claim is "that they know what is illogically possible".

bodhi

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Answer

Do you think you got an answer ?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Have an answer? Yup,

Have an answer?     Yup, god done it ! .... NO NO NO , not that god .... >"GAWED"< .... shezz, everyone knows that much ! 

Hey, don't lie about god ..... oh shit , there they go again ..... religion LIES LIES LIES, stinky dogma shit .... ain't good for ya, POISON, toxic patriotism.

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
Russell's teapot, enough

Russell's teapot, enough said.

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:how can

Shitrock wrote:
how can anyone claim to know the limits of logical possibility?  

On Completeness and Soundness of formal logical systems

(a more accessible explanation of Godel: by Nagel)

On the current applications and limits of logic

A book on the logic of possibility and necessity *

This is why we know the limits of logic.  These texts are not for beginners, but are fascinating if you can hang through the learning curve.

Please, if your query was an honest one, read the Nagel book.  It's something like a hundred pages and about US$15.  

*I have no idea why that book is so expensive, any introductory text will probably suffice, but this is the only book on the topic I have read.  As Quine states in 'Philosophy of Logic', though: 'There is no use whatsoever for modality in logic.' [paraphrased]

If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear. - JP Sartre

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Next time someone asks me

Next time someone asks me for a list of examples of logical fallacies, I'm pointing them to Shitrock's posts in this thread. I think he's got 'em all covered.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray