Nightmares About the Future

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nightmares About the Future

...I have the mot vivid and terrible visions of the world circa 2015-2018 in my sleep, sometimes. I think that's what actually spurs me on to be active in speaking-up about certain issues, sometimes.

I see Edmonton as a 'former glory' broken heap of what was once a city. People walk around smiling, pretending like everything's alirght and 'toomorrow'll be a new day', leaning on whatever crutches of comfort they can while civilization unravels. Commodity and housing prices escalated to the point where they simply broke the system - people started to simply defiantly take food from grocers to feed their families and/or barricaded themselves in their homes. With the police over-extended dealing with the disorder, organized criminal bodies stepped-in to seize control, violently cutting-up the city into different zones of protection, religious and ethnic fervor adding to the momentum of an already out-of-control death spiral.

Pretty soon almost everyone is trying to make it by in makeshift shelters or fortified homes / overtaken businesses. Where the military has tried stepping-in, civil war is raging hot and heavy. Then winter is setting in, and people are still smiling stupidly, even as temperatures drop below forty degrees and they begin freezing to death en masse...

Maybe I've read too much Vonnegut and naysaying from economists. Frankly, though... informed positive outlooks are hard to find.

Anyone else have these kind of bad dreams? Care to share them?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
i have dreams that were

i have dreams that were slightly more intense than that. 

basically people struggling to make their homes self-sufficient with no outside resources and a toxic outdoor environment. everything has been cut off - even the radio broadcast and you figure most people are dead but you can't leave so who knows...

i've also had dreams where i'm in the hospital while humanity is coming to an end - cutting up bedsheets for bandages and sterilizing needles and what not because the outside supplies just no longer exist. 

i was actually writing a book about all this but my ex thought it was stupid so i kinda abandoned the project.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 First of all, Kevin, the

First of all, Kevin, the army can't step in if the economy dives from an oil shortage. It's impossible to transport troops without oil, and it's even more impossible to get them to go places without feeding them.

Second, emergency brings people together. If there's a severe depression because of a panic lack of liquidity (which is almost guaranteed without the means for mass transportation) communities will have to band together, not start fighting. A grocery store empties in two days, and then there are no more groceries. Prepared foods might give this population one winter. Then we have to work together.

So ... no motivation/resources for war, and tons of motivation to band together means that yes, things will be slower. On the other hand, have you ever been in a house with a wood-burning iron stove? It's so warm you have to open the windows every once and a while. Yes, even in serious winters. And there are enough trees.

How is "no more mechanized war" a negative outlook? You can't produce bullets and transport them without oil. We (developed nations) have managed to create an economy that self-centralizes, and depends entirely on oil. We can't over-fish, over-forest or over-farm without oil.

We're on the edge of having the greatest civilization the world has ever seen, because we can reap the benefits of medical science without the harm of industry lasting forever. The tar sands are frankly not going to produce oil once the light crude runs out, it's just too expensive to get.

The greatest period in the history of the world is about to begin, right after the most insane. I'm practically giddy.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: First of

HisWillness wrote:

First of all, Kevin, the army can't step in if the economy dives from an oil shortage. It's impossible to transport troops without oil, and it's even more impossible to get them to go places without feeding them.

Second, emergency brings people together. If there's a severe depression because of a panic lack of liquidity (which is almost guaranteed without the means for mass transportation) communities will have to band together, not start fighting. A grocery store empties in two days, and then there are no more groceries. Prepared foods might give this population one winter. Then we have to work together.

So ... no motivation/resources for war, and tons of motivation to band together means that yes, things will be slower. On the other hand, have you ever been in a house with a wood-burning iron stove? It's so warm you have to open the windows every once and a while. Yes, even in serious winters. And there are enough trees.

How is "no more mechanized war" a negative outlook? You can't produce bullets and transport them without oil. We (developed nations) have managed to create an economy that self-centralizes, and depends entirely on oil. We can't over-fish, over-forest or over-farm without oil.

We're on the edge of having the greatest civilization the world has ever seen, because we can reap the benefits of medical science without the harm of industry lasting forever. The tar sands are frankly not going to produce oil once the light crude runs out, it's just too expensive to get.

The greatest period in the history of the world is about to begin, right after the most insane. I'm practically giddy.

Problems: A lot of drugs are synthesized from petroleum based reactions. Same thing with plastics, which means a short term shortage of computer technology while we figure out what to use to produce circuit boards. System-on-chip would be a good idea, or perhaps we'll have optical computing down by that time. Very expensive, either way.

Of course, we do have other means of moving things via coal power, no shortage of that as far as I know. As long as there are power plants, I know how to build an electric motor (and the batteries for it, if need be).

I'm not worried.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What about synthetic oil

What about synthetic oil like the Germans produced during WWII? Or using vegetable oil for plastics, etc?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard

inspectormustard wrote:
Problems: A lot of drugs are synthesized from petroleum based reactions.

But the painkillers and antibiotics can be produced using plants. Painkillers and antibiotics being the greatest things ever. Anyone who's ever been really sick or severely injured will second that.

inspectormustard wrote:
Same thing with plastics, which means a short term shortage of computer technology while we figure out what to use to produce circuit boards. System-on-chip would be a good idea, or perhaps we'll have optical computing down by that time. Very expensive, either way.

No, you can kiss your electronics goodbye. I have a 70 year-old typewriter that works great. A hard drive lasts an average of 5 years. We can't maintain that life cycle.

inspectormustard wrote:
Of course, we do have other means of moving things via coal power, no shortage of that as far as I know.

Ah, but what does a digging machine run on? How about a transport truck? And what's a "shortage"? We know at some point that we'll have to slow down.

inspectormustard wrote:
As long as there are power plants, I know how to build an electric motor (and the batteries for it, if need be).

Yes, we already have electric motors, and if you can build a basic battery, wonderful. Can you farm with it? Who's going to maintain the power lines without vehicles?

inspectormustard wrote:
I'm not worried.

It's not like it would be the end of the world or anything. It would be a lot more like 1910, though.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:It's not

HisWillness wrote:

It's not like it would be the end of the world or anything. It would be a lot more like 1910, though.

Well, In either case I'm fucking dead. Insulin wasn't available until the late 1920s or early 1930s. And who would want to live like that after living modern life anyway?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I absolutely love these

Oh, I absolutely love these dreams, I've been having them since I was ten. They are so exciting and cinematic. Finally writing a novel about it that kind of thematic, end of the world setting.

The dreams are either similar to what the OP described, or in a different vein, involve natural catastrophes like massive flooding or earthquakes. Again, the idea of the familiar becoming run-down and worn out, as people board up their homes for the flood or fortify their front porch against attacks by drug dealers in flying ghetto cars.

At 11, I had a very specific cyberpunkish dream where I was trapped in a 25 year old body, though I knew that I was 11 in the dream. It was my own body in the future, and my home town (Lower Merion, on the mainline) had degenerated into a Blade Runner-type dystopia. There were flying cars, and lots and lots of black cat suits. The government was sort of Orwellian but totally incompetent and the streets were overrun by criminals. Coolest dream ever about Lower Merion.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
am I the only one?

I had really only one vivid dream of the future (I still remember it 20 years later). I am about 50ish (so I figure I got 20 more years to go) and using a mecha, in a war against another nation, we are basically just surviving, cities have been reduced to rubble, most of humanity lives in small ragged towns, only military installations and government locations are relatively safe (big ass mechas protect these installations). However I love the motorcycles (ok anyone watch Robotech, well those veritech cyclone bikes are it) but then again we aren't using oil to run these mechas (I remember using a fuel cell type of fuel). But the nightmare part is trying to save a child in a battle and never quite making it, i just remember how vivid it was, woke up all freaked out about it, hell had to look outside to make sure i was in the present.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Well, In

MattShizzle wrote:

Well, In either case I'm fucking dead. Insulin wasn't available until the late 1920s or early 1930s.

But my point is that we already know where and how to get insulin (pigs!). We can also make morphine, antibiotics, and a host of other plant-based medicines. If people at the beginning of the 20th century knew what we known now, they'd be much better equipped to deal with the road ahead. Sure, there are going to be problems, but I see more awesome in my future.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
The worst nightmares I've

The worst nightmares I've ever had have been about holocaust-like situations. In one (which I had when I was about ten or eleven) my family and I were members of a minority near-human-looking telepathic aliens living as immigrants on Earth (I come from a German-Jewish background). My family and all the other "Zaxons" were herded into refugee camps that became converted into death camps and the reptilian second skin underneath our human-like skin was to made into leather. It's really weird to dream about experiencing telepathy, and much harder to describe. This dream took place in an oppressive near-future.

Another nightmare I had that seemed somewhat near-future-like was much more recent: I was locked in a closet-like space with no food in between being experimented on by a mad scientist who behaved like the abusive uncle in The Who's "Tommy."

Again, when I was eleven, I had a very, very Orwellian dream about a far future society after a great collapse where alien lords had arrived and taken control of the remnants of humanity through loyal human henchmen called Aides... who all happened to be the hall monitors from my elementary school (we called them Student Aides). The alien was a short, green-skinned "Napoleon" type who we eventually killed by dropping off a mile high tower in the People's Revolution, during which some of the Aides switched sides.

Another dream that I plainly remember was being at some sort of ground-based Space Port facility that had these silo-like towers with rotating grid-like metal domes that could invert without warning. I don't know why, but I was clinging to one of these metal domes, trying to reach a spaceship, as the dome began to invert, threatening to throw me from the tower.

I also remember several similar dreams about being in a war fought with paintball guns in a post-apocalyptic landscape with Mad Max/Road Warrior-style vehicles. In these dreams, I would be asked to scout an area and I would discover the ruins of cities and suburbs.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard

inspectormustard wrote:

Problems: A lot of drugs are synthesized from petroleum based reactions. Same thing with plastics, which means a short term shortage of computer technology while we figure out what to use to produce circuit boards. System-on-chip would be a good idea, or perhaps we'll have optical computing down by that time. Very expensive, either way.

Of course, we do have other means of moving things via coal power, no shortage of that as far as I know. As long as there are power plants, I know how to build an electric motor (and the batteries for it, if need be).

I'm not worried.

It's not like we won't have oil.

The oil-driven economy will collapse long before all the oil is depleted. Once the price of a gallon of gasoline goes over some threshold, nobody will be able to afford to use it for anything but the most emergent situations. The price of petroleum-based products (such as plastics and drugs) will go up substantially, but will still be available.

My guess is there will be lots of oil left over once we stop using it to run to the store twice a day. Here, "plenty" doesn't mean a whole lot, but it should still be sufficient to create and transport vital supplies, like specific drugs and whatnot.

I'm kinda with Will on this one. It'll be different, but it'll be pretty freakin' cool to see the human race get a wake-up call from our nightmare of frenetic oil consumption. I think it will bring about a new age of science, like we had back in the '50s. I also think it will help spread ignorance and superstition, as universal communication breaks down.

As an aside: my nightmare is that an invisible Bigfoot is chasing me, and I'm trying to escape on a flying carpet, but I keep getting caught up in the high-tension wires. Anybody else have that dream?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Here,

nigelTheBold wrote:
Here, "plenty" doesn't mean a whole lot, but it should still be sufficient to create and transport vital supplies, like specific drugs and whatnot.

When was the last time you read about a resource being used intelligently or cautiously, and not in a last minute panic by the people who could afford it?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Passport

Not to deter off topic Kevin, but have you ever thought that maybe a week in Mexico around February, March, vacation time.  Leave that frozen tundra for just a week.  Does wonders for the mind, not to mention empties out the wallet, phew, what a relief.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:When was

HisWillness wrote:

When was the last time you read about a resource being used intelligently or cautiously, and not in a last minute panic by the people who could afford it?

Point taken.

I retract my optimism.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Point taken.

I retract my optimism.

Don't do that! It's going to be so much fun for the clever people like us who know it's coming! If it gets really bad (which I don't think it will), we should designate a meeting place for smart people. There, we shall build a fort and write a constitution. Smart people always stand a better chance at surviving (okay, smart people who work instead of whining - the whining ones will have to be thrown to the bears). But think about it: those of us who learn quickly would be awesome at a lifestyle change. Farming isn't that bad. It's hard work, but you don't go hungry. Plenty of time for hanging out in a community centre, smoking weed and talking shit. How would that be bad?

Also, we'd have people who could make radios, weapons, bridges ... I see only fun coming from this.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Imagine, that the head of

Imagine, that the head of your family is a gambler. Everyone in your family knows that, but some decided to overlook it, or just live with it. Most of the family income goes on regular gambling. The head of the family takes the money intended for all and goes to a casino. With a good intention, of course, he says, we can win and we will have more money. He points at those who ever won, and hopes to be one of them. Some family members even shares this idea, and encourages themselves in this gambling.
By time, the circumstances at home changes, less money certainly shows the effect. When someone's ill, there's not enough of medicine, and not everyone can eat as much as they want. Even worse, certain important parts of furniture disappears. Some rooms suddenly gets forbidden to the family, and rented or sold to someone else. A house decoration gets more and more accustomed to tastes of the renters, so they will like it here more and pay more, the head of family says. The renters gets always a bigger heap of food at the common table, and doesn't have to perform so much chores. At these times, some family members showed a disagreement with the state of things, but became separated, or thrown out of the house, because a few others participated on the gambling and won themselves enough for better clothes and new cell phones, so now they fully support the head of the family.
Others certainly suffer, but they became dependent on the state of things, seeing a visions of anarchy and disorder if the current circumstances in the family would change.  They see no other reasonable alternative, than having a strong rule upon everyone, the benefits will outweight the negatives, they think. So the regime continues.
Now, let's call the casino what it really is, the stock market system.

Perhaps it sounds a bit morbidly, but I really anticipate the world stock market crash. I count the fractions of dollar, which gets down every week. Not so long ago it was 40 CZK per 1 dollar, now it's 15. (and even before CZK started to strengthten) Don't get me wrong, money are good, it's another side of life which must be mastered, but the worship of money is bad, it's a sign of failure in the fight for domination, between money and humanity. Money are energy which should be distributed, like any other kind of energy. Just think, what would you do with a huge capacitor with a gigaFarads of electricity within? You could do really nice, big flashes and lightning. While whole countries are without electricity in their wires, necessary for lights, engines and even medical devices. Such an electric distribution network isn't quite OK, is it?

I mean, you shouldn't have nightmares about future. You should have nightmares about presence.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
I've always thought along

I've always thought along the lines of Mad Max and such for the future...then the thoughts like what HisWillness is saying...sort of Little House on the Prairie (with or without pot).

I actually live on a farm...though I am not a good farmer.  I've wondered how practical it would be to get a horse, but there are not many hitching posts in town.  Maybe later, huh?

Shelley, I'd like to address this statement, too.  Continue to write this book.  Your ex is stupid.

shelleymtjoy wrote:

i was actually writing a book about all this but my ex thought it was stupid so i kinda abandoned the project.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Point taken.

I retract my optimism.

Don't do that! It's going to be so much fun for the clever people like us who know it's coming! If it gets really bad (which I don't think it will), we should designate a meeting place for smart people. There, we shall build a fort and write a constitution. Smart people always stand a better chance at surviving (okay, smart people who work instead of whining - the whining ones will have to be thrown to the bears). But think about it: those of us who learn quickly would be awesome at a lifestyle change. Farming isn't that bad. It's hard work, but you don't go hungry. Plenty of time for hanging out in a community centre, smoking weed and talking shit. How would that be bad?

Also, we'd have people who could make radios, weapons, bridges ... I see only fun coming from this.

That's a damned good plan. But once we repopulate the Earth, we need to make sure it never happens again.

New Athens needs women.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Or can we call it John

Or can we call it John Galt's Gulch?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent wrote:Or

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Or can we call it John Galt's Gulch?

It should be called New Satanville. Just to keep the Christians away.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Ration for the military (we did it before)

HisWillness wrote:

Ration the civilian oil, use what is needed for the military.  America does have some domestic oil supplies.  Not a whole lot.  Hopefully, people would object to the military using too much oil, but if the right kind of fear were created, they might let it happen.

HisWillness wrote:
Second, emergency brings people together.

True, but there are sometimes unintended consequences...
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/posters1.htm

Let me translate one poster:

1927 wrote:
"Who is John Doe?  The man from the people, for the people! The American soldier who risked his life in two wars for America!
What does John Doe want?  Freedom and food for every decent working American! The death sentence for profiteers, black marketeers and exploiters, regardless of religious faith or race!
Why is John Doe not allowed to speak?  Because he is ruthless in uncovering the rulers of the American economy, the international bank and their lackeys, the Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Scientologists, and Atheists! Because he wants to free the workers from the domination of big money! Working Americans! Demand the lifting of the illegal ban on his speaking!

HisWillness wrote:

Humans tend to be the most productive when they have to struggle.  A long period of easy living is very likely to cause government and its society to regress in some ways because the wisdom gained during prior struggles becomes lost with each passing generation.  I do hope that we emerge from this with a better civilization, but the short term pain will be very annoying, to say the least.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I have read if there ever is

I have read if there ever is a collapse of civilization we could never get back to where we are - as all the ores that can be mined near the surface have already been mined. To get the ones that are available requires modern technology. There really is no way late 19th/early 20th century technology could support a planet of 6 billion people. There would be massive war/rioting for resources that are available - probably mass starvation - it would be very ugly and civilization may never recover from such a thing.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote: It's not

nigelTheBold wrote:

It's not like we won't have oil.

The oil-driven economy will collapse long before all the oil is depleted. Once the price of a gallon of gasoline goes over some threshold, nobody will be able to afford to use it for anything but the most emergent situations. The price of petroleum-based products (such as plastics and drugs) will go up substantially, but will still be available.

My guess is there will be lots of oil left over once we stop using it to run to the store twice a day. Here, "plenty" doesn't mean a whole lot, but it should still be sufficient to create and transport vital supplies, like specific drugs and whatnot.

Word. Imagine how much farther we could stretch this resource if instead of burning it we used for lubricants and plastics.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: There

MattShizzle wrote:

There really is no way late 19th/early 20th century technology could support a planet of 6 billion people.

What about Tesla's inventions? No more unbelievable thing than a sailboat or a water mill, it's using an energy present around, just like we use a water or wind force. You would be surprised to see, how is our current understanding of electricity primitive. (I guess in case deludedgod shows up around in righteous rage of physical laws violation alert, I'd have to start to translate and post here lengthty articles on this topic from independent press ) Tesla understood it right, and I'm sure if things would go really tough, someone influential would quickly sweep a dust off his patents. and make an increased effort to get them to practice. If ordinary people would have an access to benefits of this technology, that's a different question.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:What about

Luminon wrote:

What about Tesla's inventions? No more unbelievable thing than a sailboat or a water mill, it's using an energy present around, just like we use a water or wind force. You would be surprised to see, how is our current understanding of electricity primitive. (I guess in case deludedgod shows up around in righteous rage, I'd have to start to translate and post here lengthty articles on this topic from independent press ) Tesla understood it right, and I'm sure if things would go really tough, someone influential would quickly sweep a dust off his patents. and make an increased effort to get them to practice. If ordinary people would have an access to benefits of this technology, that's a different question.

The thing is we do use almost all of Tesla's inventions, just that other engineers have improved on them. People have a habit of misinterpreting his work though, especially where he grew ever more extravagant in his descriptions of what they would do.

Anyway, a lot of the natural science discoveries still left to be made require computers. The amount of information that has to be handled is just too vast and too easy to miscalculate. I can think of various ways to produce a lot of the components necessary to build a transistor computer without the need for plastic. A quantum computer may end up being easier to build under the circumstances, but that really depends on the model we settle on.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote:The

inspectormustard wrote:

The thing is we do use almost all of Tesla's inventions, just that other engineers have improved on them. People have a habit of misinterpreting his work though, especially where he grew ever more extravagant in his descriptions of what they would do.

Almost all, that's quite an underestimation. We here have great results with Tesla's tablets, which gives access to some kind of energy, Tesla called "radiant energy". It heals, relieves pain, makes a fruit last longer, reduces electrosmog, does many other things, and it basically is a thick aluminium dishmetal, covered by metallic-like Al2O3 modified surface.
We distribute them locally and we have very positive references from all customers, some of them (mainly older or injured people) says that they can't be without them anymore. These references are far beyond any possible placebo effect, in all cases. We use them at home all the time. These tablets are being produced and sold for more than 30 years.
It's one of many Tesla's inventions based on use of the radiant energy, which are (surprisingly) not scientifically recognized, and thus not very widespread in our society, though they're probably his best. This everyday experience with a sample of Tesla's genius convinced me, that our science has yet a lot to learn from this man.
Scientific institutions will start to regain my respect and confidence, when they will finally discover things like radiant energy or etheric matter, which belongs to a common routine of my days. Science is great when it's done, but before it's all a bit slow.

In USA there is a certain Wagner who produces similar products inspired by Tesla's patent, but they lose their healing properties quickly, are not effective on both sides (if it's a tablet), and are about 3x more expensive than these of Swiss origin we distribute here. Shortly said, it's ripping people off, and that hellspawn even dares to take his American prices to Europe.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Scientific

Quote:

Scientific institutions will start to regain my respect and confidence, when they will finally discover things like radiant energy or etheric matter

See my quote box (the first one, obviously). I'll tell you what would happen if I jumped in here. It would be redundant since this has been done to death already. But I imagine something similar would happen as in the previous thread. I would demand a rigorously formulated mathematical explanation about your assertions. You would post a pdf. I would waste time refuting it. We can only discover that which is coherently defined. This is the simplest way to trip up pseudo-physics. No math, no game.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:See my

deludedgod wrote:

See my quote box (the first one, obviously). I'll tell you what would happen if I jumped in here. It would be redundant since this has been done to death already. But I imagine something similar would happen as in the previous thread. I would demand a rigorously formulated mathematical explanation about your assertions. You would post a pdf. I would waste time refuting it. We can only discover that which is coherently defined. This is the simplest way to trip up pseudo-physics. No math, no game.

So what should I do, if I'm one of many who perceive edge phenomena, which, if understood with typical scientific ingeniosity, would push our technology beyond a level shown in some sci-fi serials? And I can't do much maths? If a right person would read the right books, it could trigger an inspiration... I've read them, I'm all inspired that it pours out of my ears, but the math is missing.
Sailors in the ages of Galileo Galilei were in similar situation, they saw spheric Earth quite commonly, but landlubbers probably considered it as some kind of seawolf folklore.
It's diffcult to describe in mere words, and without usage of a sanskrit jargon, which sounds terribly in sceptic's ears. When  If I'd be a billionaire, I'd be a patron of biophoton,  consciousness and superstring research, (where are the keys as I think) but as a barely employed guy I can only suggest stuff on an internet forum. It's like a proverbial Muhammad and the mountain, I'm the one who went to the mountain and saw a bit of what is to be seen there, but experts demands the mountain to move to them first. Yeah, patience with the system  

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:And I can't do

Quote:

And I can't do much maths?

Study math. The only people who truly understand anything about physics are those who would bleed mathematics if cut. If you can't do much math, your ability to comment on anything physics will be entirely restricted to virtually nil. Let me make it perfectly clear that if you think you can talk physics but do not have the patience or competence to study mathematics, which is absolutely necessary to have any meaningful knowledge of  underlying mechanism of physical phenomenon, then I have no symapthy for you, or your position, whatsoever.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
A Few Suggestions

1. Bio-fuels produced from Algae could be used to run diesel motors. You'd just need to keep the algae tanks/bags/whatever uncontaminated, but you could use the most otherwise useless land imaginable for this: deserts.

2. Vertical Farms: after the collapse of the global economy the corporate offices in the skyscrapers of most cities will be abandoned, so glass towers can be converted into huge urban greenhouses for growing food (these vertical farms could also be bio-fuel production facilities). The bio-fuels would come from products grown in the farms and would be used to power trucks within a single city to deliver the food items. Localizing food production within city boundaries would cut down on fuel consumption tremendously.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Location of Satanville

We'll take over the Hoover Dam in the wake of the great collapse. We can fortify it, and keep it running, and we'll have a virtual inexhaustible supply of water and energy.

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:And I

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

And I can't do much maths?

Study math. The only people who truly understand anything about physics are those who would bleed mathematics if cut. If you can't do much math, your ability to comment on anything physics will be entirely restricted to virtually nil. Let me make it perfectly clear that if you think you can talk physics but do not have the patience or competence to study mathematics, which is absolutely necessary to have any meaningful knowledge of  underlying mechanism of physical phenomenon, then I have no symapthy for you, or your position, whatsoever.

I've created a new thread so that we stop derailing this one.

My response is in the new thread: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14475

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:First of all, Kevin,

Quote:

We have a base attached to the city. Even assuming we were 'all out of oil' (I doubt we would reach this stage before panic started to turn the wheels of martial law), simply marching the boys into the city would be no difficult task.

Moreover, I shudder at the notion that no federal intervention would be attempted at all. Nobody to offer assistance against the approaching storm?

That's a terrifying thought.

Quote:

Second, emergency brings people together.

It depends on the times and places, Will. Look at Katrina: did that 'bring people together'? No. The poor (predominantly African American) communities began to wallow in conspiracy stories about how the wealthier middle class+ white folks intentionally had the levies breached. When government assistance did arrive in a timely fashion, people went batshit fucking loco. Stores were looted, people were marking-out territory for themselves and shooting at anyone who approached, friends and families would stick together while leaving anyone else to fend for themselves.

It was ugly.

Take a a look at Iraq. Has the war brought the Iraqis together? No. It's sparked civil war and unrest, without any semblence of law or humanity in some of the worst zones.

Quote:

If there's a severe depression because of a panic lack of liquidity (which is almost guaranteed without the means for mass transportation) communities will have to band together, not start fighting.

The thing is, if people were smart enough to recognize this, we wouldn't be looking at a looming energy crisis (nor would we likely need a place like the RRS, nor would we have wars breaking-out in the Middle East over oil supplies). In Edmonton, there's a tremendous portion of the population that are happily and stupidly living retarded and unsustainable lifestyles paid in full by the oil industry. Swampers in Alberta can find jobs tomorrow at $25/hr. These people are completely unaware of what goes on the world outside their massive houses, trophy wives and mightily lift-kitted Dodge Rams.

They're the kind of people who snap when someone looks at 'their girl' while they're having a night on the town, are sure that Jesus rides shotgun with them and have violent temper tantrums when the kid at McDonalds messes-up their order.

The last thing in the world that I'd trust is the idea that these persons would let their lifestyle go silently into that goodnight.

Quote:

I'll never underestimate the human ability to invent new and better ways to kill each other, even in the absence of oil. Horses make excellent artillery tows and transport vehicles (as has been demonstrated in times of warfare prior to the widespread use of oil). Relatively low-performace aircraft have been constructed and flown using solar-powered props; and yes, while these are hardly impressive compared to modern fighter-bombers, they're also unmanned and comparatively cheap. Strap a JSOW to one, and you've got yourself the equivalent of a high-tech German buzz-bomb.

Quote:

The last part I agree with, the first I don't. science and industry are married - one has always been a part of the other. You're claiming that science will flourish outside the shadow of technology and government? I say that's proposterous. history teaches us that this is very far from the truth.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Farming isn't that

Quote:

Farming isn't that bad. It's hard work, but you don't go hungry. Plenty of time for hanging out in a community centre, smoking weed and talking shit. How would that be bad?

Well, you see Will, some of us are interested in doing things in the day aside from shoveling manure and picking rocks out of a field. It's also tough to have much spare time for toking and discourse when you're busy trying to reap a harvest to feed a large community of people.

I'm also curious: things aren;t going to get bad? Yet we won't have the oil necessary to run farm machinery or make pesticides, or the industry to continue developing new strains of modified crops? How are we supposed to feed everyone, pray tell?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think the plan is that i

i think the plan is that i get to do all the toking and discourse (to myself - it will be some good shitEye-wink ) while i supervise all you able-bodied people in the fields.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Study math.

deludedgod wrote:

[edit: this is what was supposed to follow that quote:]

http://langstroth.net/soni/c-c-2.mp3

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Well,

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Well, you see Will, some of us are interested in doing things in the day aside from shoveling manure and picking rocks out of a field.

You can want whatever you like.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
It's also tough to have much spare time for toking and discourse when you're busy trying to reap a harvest to feed a large community of people.

Not true. Hard work, yes. Anti-social? No. And if the large community is all in it together, the task becomes easier.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
I'm also curious: things aren;t going to get bad? Yet we won't have the oil necessary to run farm machinery or make pesticides, or the industry to continue developing new strains of modified crops? How are we supposed to feed everyone, pray tell?

Oh, not everyone will be fed. For instance, those who aren't interested in shovelling manure and clearing rocks.

Whatever did we do before farm machinery? Hmm ...

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, Will?

Yes, Will?

-Me

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If you don't plan on feeding

If you don't plan on feeding anyone who doesn't do farming, what's to keep those who don't want to from using the remaining supplies to eat while spending all their time training for combat and once the harvest comes raiding and stealing from the farmers?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Day Dreamer

Well I don't remember my dreams when I wake up,but during the day I often think about Global Warming ,Nuclear War and a new world order in north america ,but not in China.I think that they must be Laughing at us,a country with over a Billion people will have a lot of influence in the Future.

Signature ? How ?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I used to have nightmares

I used to have nightmares about nuclear war almost daily in the mid-1980s as a kid. Of course at the time Reagan was president and it certainly seemed he was doing his damndest to start one.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Reagan

I do know that Reagan was a real F<>KTARD,but I do believe that when he was the President ,he started the Nuclear Weapons  Treaty with Gorbachev ,cutting back on our stock pile by over 3,500,still leaving us with about 9,000 Nuclear Weapons,and he did help Gorbachev rid Russia of thousands of these nightmares,but we still have many of these Reaganites in Bush's Administration,pushing this star war weapons,that cost US taxpayers over 75 Billion Dollars a year.

Signature ? How ?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:If you

MattShizzle wrote:

If you don't plan on feeding anyone who doesn't do farming, what's to keep those who don't want to from using the remaining supplies to eat while spending all their time training for combat and once the harvest comes raiding and stealing from the farmers?

Me.

I'm trained in combat, both hand-to-hand, and otherwise. I'm a decent shot, able to fall a deer at 150 yards. I can set up a defensive perimeter, as well as perform stealth operations. (The last I learned from Metal Gear Solid.) And, I'm not bad with a foil, though not very good with a rapier, and I suck with a saber.

But most importantly, we'll set loose the genetically-engineered raptors in the fields at night.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Farming isn't that bad. It's hard work, but you don't go hungry. Plenty of time for hanging out in a community centre, smoking weed and talking shit. How would that be bad?

Well, you see Will, some of us are interested in doing things in the day aside from shoveling manure and picking rocks out of a field. It's also tough to have much spare time for toking and discourse when you're busy trying to reap a harvest to feed a large community of people.

One way or another, people will inevitably start to assimilate the principles of permaculture, a method of (mainly agricultural) living without necessary oil, artificial fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and so on. These things are needed, because we have large areas of the same plants and we need to reap them quickly and transport really far away. The future is in local, very diverse farming. Whole economy will have to be different. Now we all live as the movements of global market tells us. Market wants to produce on large scale and sell a lot, so we have to ravage natural resources, to fulfil these needs. Everyone follows that, because they want to be rich and doesn't want to be poor, and by that, they produce  a few of rich people and a lot of the poor.
If this system will go unchanged, it will inevitably create a great world-wide stock market crash, and the old finance system will be necessary to abandon, everyone will see, that it doesn't work. Let's hope that the Black Thursday (29.October 1929) on NY stock market will be only a joyful day of bungee-jumping compared to that event, and humanity will be shocked enough to change it's ways.

Biofuels are an utter nonsense. Not only it doesn't make greenhouse gasses go away, (or back into biomass) but it also extremely raises prices of food in the world (maybe even for 100%) and causes more poverty. Clean technologies are needed, I mean something like zero point energy (whatever of various inventions using it under various names), and before that, whatever we can. Just not nuclear energy.
Nuclear fission is dangerous, not because reactors may blow up one day, but because they produce radiation on etheric-material level, which no containment can stop, which is one of causes why the degenerative neural diseases and allergies are so widespread today.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Not true.In the

Quote:

Not true.

In the absense of farming machinery? When we're out using plows, horses and pitchforks, have no means of enriching soil or planting higher-yield crops (because they're no longer in development).

Yes, Will. What I said is extremely accurate. Especially up here. Read up on agricultural history. You're looking at 16-ish or so hour days in the field sewing and reaping, every day of the week, both to ensure everybody is fed and to ensure you have enough food to keep everyone fed when the climate harshens. And note that not everyone in the supposed community would be capable of evenly contributing (the elderly? the infants?).

In warmer climates, you might arguably be able to establish orchards and make the task a little easier for yourself, but orchards aren't exactly something you can establish in short order, and you'll likely find yourself running out of space in such climate zones as more people pack their way in.

Quote:

Oh, not everyone will be fed. For instance, those who aren't interested in shovelling manure and clearing rocks.

And such people (and their friends/families) would simply let themselves starve to death?

Quote:

Whatever did we do before farm machinery? Hmm ..

Check the population figures, post green revolution. There were significantly less people to feed at that time.

Also see: Dust Bowls. We did incredible, unsustainable damage in agricultural regions through our farming practices. Yields were so low that we had to farm much larger surface areas, which meant clearing-out a lot of vegetation and trees, which meant destabilizing topsoil...

Without the oil supply to meet agricultural demands, we'll be looking at mass starvation. When that occurs, I'll bet top dollar that status quo and the illusion of cooperation will shatter, and people will be at each other's throats.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:And note

Kevin R Brown wrote:

And note that not everyone in the supposed community would be capable of evenly contributing (the elderly? the infants?).

We're atheists, remember?   We eat infants.  Seriously though, whose going to be smuggling me food?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
The Culture of Make Believe

Go too Google video and check out Derrick Jensen,he makes some very disturbing claims about our Culture and I do believe that he makes some rather good points.Toxic memes is a deep look at ourselves.

Signature ? How ?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'll bring you something

I'll bring you something Shelley when the band of marauders I lead robs the farmers and massacres any who stand up to us!

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
In all seriousness...

...we Rationalists should start making serious plans to rendevouz if/when things do get this bad. We need a safe haven. You all know that if the world really did get much worse, very fast, we would not want to be around for the religious apocalyptic reactionaries using catastrophe as a means of promoting the retro-active interpretation of the prophecies of a tribe of desert nomads.

I think it would be appropriate to organize "survival prep cells" in every city that we can, start storing things we'll need and especially recruit much needed talent from all sectors of society. I don't plan on toking and philosophizing. Hell, I'll work in the field if you'll feed me. Certain genes need to get propagated here... namely those connected to higher intellect.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
O Yeah !

I think that the next group of Humans to go to the gas chambers,will be Atheist/Agnostics ,which is one of the main reason's why we must organize.

Signature ? How ?