Fundagelical Christianists?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fundagelical Christianists?

I was reading Pharyngula and he used the term "the fundagelical right" to describe right wing fundamentalist evangelicals. I don't know about everyone else here, but I really like the term Christianist already to describe Christians that like to assert their worldview as a basis to legislate. I think the framing of Right Wing Fundagelical Christianists creates an excellent parallel to the frame of Radical Islamists who are perceived as wanting to export their value system throughout the world through any means necessary.

This is not a perfect analogy, but it definitely creates the mental picture, when spoken, that these people are bent on imposing their beliefs on society at any cost, which is not really dissimilar to the true past of Christianity(ie the inquisition, the reformation, etc). Of course right wing is implied without being spoken when addressing Fundamentalist Evangelical Christians, Fundagelical Christianists relates all these frames in a nice two word soundbyte. Language matters, and I think, at least for me, Fundagelical Christianists is an excellent term to describe the base in American politics that provides the bulk of the  moral rationale for such anti-freedom policies as anti-reproductive freedom, anti-stem cell research, anti-homosexuality, anti-science in the classrooms etc.

Food for thought....Fundagelical Christianist could be a meme worth spreading.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm with you. I like it, and

I'm with you. I like it, and as an avid student of linguistics, I certainly agree with you that language matters.

It doesn't really translate to Danish though ("an evangelical is "en evangelist" in Danish and Christian is "Kristen" so the reference won't work) but then, we don't really have a problem with fundie Christians here.

I'll be sure to use the term when I can in forum debates and similar in the future though.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Well I can't speak to

Well I can't speak to Danish, but, language transcends cultures in importance when it comes to framing political debate, of which religious influence has a n undue deference.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
The beauty is that it calls

The beauty is that it calls out in the open just how silly these people are.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:The beauty is

nutxaq wrote:

Yes, that is one of the points.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

Yes, that is one of the points.

Thanks for pointing that out. Sarcasm isn't my strong suit.

What I was referring to was the juxtaposition of the terms they incorporate into their overblown reactions.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I got you.

I got you.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:I got

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I got you.

Because, you know, sometimes they make up words. Like, islamo-fascist, and it's like....what does that even mean?

Proof, Paul Simon

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I always enjoyed the term

I always enjoyed the term 'Moral Mafia'.  

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sounds too much like

It sounds too much like "fundangelical", which in turn makes them sound like fun loving cute little pixies who loiter over you and look after you tirelessly while struggling bravely with the large christmas trees stuck up their bums.

But while we're introducing memes into the common consciousness could we also therefore chuck in an acronym for FUndamentalist Christian Know-nothings, or "FuCKs". Fox-fucks are something we all know about, but word has it that FuCKs can be found in various varieties, such as Bush-fucks, Telly-fucks, Vatican-fucks, Stupid-fucks and of course that old reliable - Lying-fucks.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:It sounds too

Nordmann wrote:

It sounds too much like "fundangelical", which in turn makes them sound like fun loving cute little pixies who loiter over you and look after you tirelessly while struggling bravely with the large christmas trees stuck up their bums.

But while we're introducing memes into the common consciousness could we also therefore chuck in an acronym for FUndamentalist Christian Know-nothings, or "FuCKs". Fox-fucks are something we all know about, but word has it that FuCKs can be found in various varieties, such as Bush-fucks, Telly-fucks, Vatican-fucks, Stupid-fucks and of course that old reliable - Lying-fucks.

That would make a great bumper sticker, but it's not safe for the public airwaves where it would find it's greatest audience.

Proof, Paul Simon

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's safe for Norwegian

It's safe for Norwegian airwaves. I've just talked someone into doing a promo using it.

I reckon however you mean USA (up somene's ass) airwaves - in which case you can water it down to Fundamentalist Evangelical Christian Know-nothings, or FECKs. Check your dictionary. It makes glorious sense.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:It's safe for

Nordmann wrote:

It's safe for Norwegian airwaves. I've just talked someone into doing a promo using it.

Lucky bastard.

Proof, Paul Simon

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
No - a rich bastard who owns

No - a rich bastard who owns Norway's largest independent broadcasting company (well, manages the bulk of the shares).

Not me - I hasten to add in an edit having just read how the statement stands on is own - but the guy I was talking to in the pub tonight, Alf Hildrum. Dry bastard, but he liked the idea.