Will the Dumb-ness never end?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Will the Dumb-ness never end?

We're at war.  The economy is in the shitter.  We're on the verge of an energy crisis.  The presidential election is coming up.  We are the bane of most of the world's existence.  And people are worried about this shit...

Most people either love or hate the iPhone's touch screen, and based on a report on the LA Times, women with long fingernails are among the haters. Why? Well, since the iPhone's touchscreen only responds to electrical charges emitted by your bare fingertips, women with long nails are left out in the cold. A woman interviewed for the article went so far as to suggest Apple was being misogynistic because it did not include a stylus for women and didn't consider womens' fingers and nails when designing the phone.

Honestly, though, this same argument has come up against keyboards, touch screen monitors, and anything else that involves the use of your fingers, so should every gadget maker change the design of its products to accommodate users with long nails, or should people with long nails learn to work around this problem like they have in the past? I'd love to hear what Apple has to say about all this, but I doubt they'll ever address this particular design flaw.

Personally, I'd rather have them focus on the real issues of the iPhone, like the lack of a video camera, extra storage, and better camera, but that's just me. Besides, there are styli out there that work with the iPhone just fine and are pretty affordable.

This all reminded me of an iPhone reviewer who had a hard time using the iPhone due to her long nails, and in her frustration she said, "I guess people who use Apple products are too cool for fingernails." But are we? What do you think?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/29052

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry Hamby... it's human

Sorry Hamby... it's human nature... so unless we can find a way to change human nature for the better, we're stuck with it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was doing fine until I

I was doing fine until I read the part about Apple being misogynistic.  Yeah... right.  A bunch of guys got together and thought it would be a great idea to take their aggression out on women by making phones they can't use.  That kind of thing is always great for profit... you know, intentionally excluding half the fucking population.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
1) I bite my nails2) I could

1) I bite my nails

2) I could never afford one

3) GEE IT MUST SUCK TO LIVE IN AMERICA AND NOT GET TECHNOLOGY 2 YEARS LATE

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have short finger nails

I have short finger nails and have had no trouble typing on mine.  Wouldn't you think maybe these people would try it before making it their phone?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
[/whiny girl voice ON]But...

[/whiny girl voice ON]

But... but... everything is suppose to revolve around MEEEEEEEE!!!!

[/whiny girl voice OFF]

Books about atheism

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
If she's so equal

If she's so equal, cut the stupid nails. 

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think people who routinely choose form over function are useless. I can't stand long nails, high heels, Escalades, excessively baggy clothes, jewelry, etc.

If an item or person is better at looking good, than it is at doing what it does, it belongs on the trash heap.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I was

Hambydammit wrote:

I was doing fine until I read the part about Apple being misogynistic.  Yeah... right.  A bunch of guys got together and thought it would be a great idea to take their aggression out on women by making phones they can't use.  That kind of thing is always great for profit... you know, intentionally excluding half the fucking population.

Revenge of the Nerds IV.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Most people either

Quote:

Most people either love or hate the iPhone's touch screen, and based on a report on the LA Times, women with long fingernails are among the haters. Why? Well, since the iPhone's touchscreen only responds to electrical charges emitted by your bare fingertips, women with long nails are left out in the cold. A woman interviewed for the article went so far as to suggest Apple was being misogynistic because it did not include a stylus for women and didn't consider womens' fingers and nails when designing the phone.

WAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't use my Iphone because of my $50 manicure.  WAAAAAAHHHHH I broke a nail answering a call from my multi millionaire husband.  WAAAAHHHHHHHH life is horrible.

/Artie Lange

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:We're at

Hambydammit wrote:

We're at war.  The economy is in the shitter.  We're on the verge of an energy crisis.  The presidential election is coming up.  We are the bane of most of the world's existence.  And people are worried about this shit...

Honestly, though, this same argument has come up against keyboards, touch screen monitors, and anything else that involves the use of your fingers, so should every gadget maker change the design of its products to accommodate users with long nails, or should people with long nails learn to work around this problem like they have in the past? I'd love to hear what Apple has to say about all this, but I doubt they'll ever address this particular design flaw.

Personally, I'd rather have them focus on the real issues of the iPhone, like the lack of a video camera, extra storage, and better camera, but that's just me. Besides, there are styli out there that work with the iPhone just fine and are pretty affordable.

This all reminded me of an iPhone reviewer who had a hard time using the iPhone due to her long nails, and in her frustration she said, "I guess people who use Apple products are too cool for fingernails." But are we? What do you think?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/29052

Yeah, I saw that article on yahoo first thing this morning.  It was pretty much on par with the insipid nonsense that yahoo pushes as news.