Atheism

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism

In my opinion, of all the numerous faiths, from Christianity to Buddhism to animism to atheism, the most basic and unlikely is Atheism. Religion, unlike science, is the attempt to answer the question why (science attempts to answer how). Animism a  slightly less ridiculous faith, answers the question why with the answer of "everything". Atheism denies the existence of the question, because it denies the existence of an answer. Without an answer there is no question. However, since I can ask the question it is obvious that it exists, so there must be an answer. 

Besides lets be totally honest and say that its really unlikely that thinking beings such as humans just popped into existence out of nowhere. 

We must learn to control our thoughts, or we will remain slaves to our feelings.
-SR

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Shitrock

BMcD wrote:

Shitrock wrote:

second, what determines which morality is negative and which one positive?  the good of society isnt enough.  because whats good for society is not always the same as whats good for me.  its good for society for everyone to be a contributing member.  say im a wealthy man but i dont want to contribute.  say i want to horde all of my posessions, money and abilities and not share at all.  that would be demontsrably bad for everyone around me because i am withholding things that could advance society as a whole.  is it morally right for the society to force me to contribute?   under your "social contract" it would be.

It's actually against your self-interest to do so in the long run, though. You see, you cannot know what the future will bring. Thus, if all are allowed to hoard all of the fruits of their labors, then when future misfortune strikes, you are left destitute and without any safety net. If, on the other hand, some portion is taken and allocated to the use of society in general, then should misfortune wipe out your own savings, then the contributions of others provide the safety net that your contributions provided to others.

But more, if you are not contributing your abilities to society then what are you doing? Are you off on an isolated farm by yourself? You're certainly not holding a job within society, because that job is, guess what! contributing your abilities to society. If you ARE off someplace by yourself, and completely self-sufficient... well, you're not reproducing... family? Yeah, that's the smallest unit of 'society' and the social contract. Now, you could be a criminal, but someone else is still benefitting from your efforts (to whom are you selling the goods you steal? from whom are you buying your food?) in some manner. So then how exactly do you propose to hoard (btw, 'horde' refers to groups of people, like the Mongol horde)  all of your possessions, money, and abilities?

Back to the question, though, yes, it would be moral for society to force you to contribute in some way, if you are receiving any of the benefits of society, ie: food, shelter, money, companionship, anything at all not provided directly by your own labor in isolation. Because if you are not contributing, then you have no claim on those benefits. If the benefits are provided by labors not conducted in isolation... then you're contributing.

Quote:
third, the beavers building that dam use materials that already exist the way they are.  they pick up sticks, etc. and pile them up to create a simple dwelling.

As has been pointed out, no, beavers do in fact alter their building materials to fit their needs.

So morality is based entirely on self-interest? Then morality is completely fluid. Thats an even less sensible idea than the "bigger means right" mentality.

We must learn to control our thoughts, or we will remain slaves to our feelings.
-SR

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jack, glad to see you're

Jack, glad to see you're having fun.  However I don't detect a message regarding your unique god faith of your "own" summation. Do you do anything individually unique, practicing your self attained "faith" or belief? 

Any views on "pantheism"? 

Summarizing, is the Pope a positive or negative role model?

( I rank the Pope negative, Carl Sagan positive. )

Favorite role models of yours?

What isn't 100% god?  

Should the churches be taxed? 

Christian televangelists dominate the FCC regulated media. Is that okay? Is that positive for society?

What would your Jesus say about Christianity?

LOL Jack  ..... welcome to the awe, "gawed" !  Don't hurry, take forever, pondering my simple questions .... I have so many more, just as you .... 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I cant find my other

Quote:

I cant find my other thread so ill post this question here:

You're lying. I deliberately bounce that thread whenever you're online to test that assertion.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH wrote:So

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH wrote:

So morality is based entirely on self-interest? Then morality is completely fluid. Thats an even less sensible idea than the "bigger means right" mentality.

Morality can be thought of as the self-interest of society. Cooperation with those around us will always yield better results for us as individuals than selfishness, in the long-term. Selfishness on our part leads to others treating us that way, which is detrimental to our well-being. The actions of an individual, in isolation, can be neither moral nor immoral, but only amoral, as they effect no-one else. Once you are interacting with others, then morality comes into play, and morality is determined by society, as the rules by which one remains an accepted part of that society.

If you want to look at that as morality being based on self-interest, go for it. I defy you to find me a rational act that isn't. Even the most altruistic of deeds yields a reward, if only the positive feeling and opinion of oneself that the actor takes away from the act.

Everything is self-interest, or impulse. And impulse is simply short-term self-interest, the 'I want' urge.

Everything. Faith in God? Self-interest. You don't want to just end. You don't want to be ultimately just another meaningless speck, with no more purpose and significance than a roadkill raccoon on the highway.

And yet... in the end, there's no evidence that we are each anything more than that: just one more lump of meat waiting for the worms.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Moral actions require

Moral actions require motivations which require self-interests; removing those abolishes morality.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Best response for IAMJACK: 

Best response for IAMJACK:

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Hey asshole. I'm not fucking

Hey asshole. I'm not fucking lying. That thread is in the response bag or whatever, for some reason all i see when i hit forums is all the sapient ones and root hawkins and a few others.

-SR

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Use the recent post

Use the recent post function, or go to "My account" and then "track", to see all the threads to which you have contributed.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
The pope?  I don't know I

The pope?  I don't know I haven't been to church in a long time, but I was raised catholic, so: positive.

Favorite role model? Howard Roark, my brothers, Christ, Tyler Durden.

We are not 100% god. Everything else is gods thought, at least this universe is.

No, they shouldn't be taxed. Their businesses, and I don't like the taxation of business too much.

Who fucking cares who dominates the FCC, its fucking tv.

I don't know I never met the man.

-SR

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
We basically agree on what

We basically agree on what is right and what is wrong. The problem is, you shouldn't believe in any sort of right and wrong. If every thought is merely a synaptic response to a physical occurrence, then there is no such thing as choice. Every action is totally guided by your genes, physical surroundings, and brain structure.

Your right. 100% right. I don't want to just end. I find that thought depressing and a bit emo. What is 80 years? I seek a purpose because without one then I see no reason to strive for good. You ignore the evidence, the very fact that you, who claims to believe in no soul, still has a belief in right and wrong. A universal truth whose existence points to the existence of a deity.

Animals do not have morality, they have instincts. A bunch of monkeys will beat one who hoards food because they need food. They have no sense whatsoever that the food may be the property of the one monkey. Their is no such thing as property in the animal world. Only humans have this idea. That is just one of the differences that I am talking about.

-SR

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jack, me thinks you are

Jack, me thinks you are dangerously going to fast. Concerned, me, old "gramps".

Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick,
Jack jump over the candlestick.
Jack jumped high,
Jack jumped low,
Jack jumped over and burned his toe.       OUCH

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jack, from your quick reply,

Jack, from your quick reply, I'd say you are pantheistic. I have no pressing beefs with that non-dogmatic philosophy.

I hope you will think more on the mega rich mans FCC and their mind fucking evil TV, of mass brainwash and propaganda. One of my top 10 enemies, the FCC.   

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH wrote:We

We basically agree on what is right and what is wrong. The problem is, you shouldn't believe in any sort of right and wrong. If every thought is merely a synaptic response to a physical occurrence, then there is no such thing as choice. Every action is totally guided by your genes, physical surroundings, and brain structure.

Quite possibly. However, as I said in the multiple threads slightly farther down about free will: We must question whether or not we have free will, as we must question everything. In the end, we may never be able to truly answer the question. We must, however, choose to act as though we have free will, for pragmatism's sake. If we have free will, then we are derelict in our responsibilities to ourselves and one another if we abdicate the exercise of it. If we do not, then we never had the choice anyway.

Quote:
Your right. 100% right. I don't want to just end. I find that thought depressing and a bit emo. What is 80 years? I seek a purpose because without one then I see no reason to strive for good. You ignore the evidence, the very fact that you, who claims to believe in no soul, still has a belief in right and wrong. A universal truth whose existence points to the existence of a deity.

No, no universal truth. I said I believe in 'right' and 'wrong' as a nice idea. I've also said they can never be absolutes. They're not objective. They never have been, they never will be. They're a reflection of aggregate self-interest, my own included. There's no evidence for anything beyond that, and ample evidence that morality stems from the social behavior of animals. Including your own example below.

Quote:
Animals do not have morality, they have instincts. A bunch of monkeys will beat one who hoards food because they need food. They have no sense whatsoever that the food may be the property of the one monkey. Their is no such thing as property in the animal world. Only humans have this idea. That is just one of the differences that I am talking about.

A number of studies have shown that monkeys, like most primates, have a sense of fairness and justice. Yes, they will beat one who hoards food that they need. No, there is no sense of 'property'. I will also point out to you that in many hunter-gatherer human societies, such as the North American plains cultures, there was very little sense of 'property'. Your immediate belongings; the travois you carried them on... and that was about it.

Property, by and large, is not about morality. It is about control. It is about being able to deny something to someone. And ultimately, in most societies... it's a lie.

Consider our current society: What property do you actually own? The things in your home? A car? The house itself? The land?

Not really.

If you are a homeowner, you continue to pay yearly property tax on your land. If you cannot pay, your property will be ceased and sold off to pay the government. In fact, this 'property tax' is nothing more than the rents paid by a freeman to his local knight or baron in the middle ages. Rent, nothing more. A temporary tenant of land the government ultimately claims belongs to it.

Your car? The same. You pay a fee every so often to keep it registered. If it's not registered, it can't be used. If you fall behind on your car payments, it'll be repossessed. If you're lucky enough to have finished paying off your car, then you're still paying for using it. Once you can't use it, you need someplace to store it. For which, you are paying rent. Ultimately, you continue to pay to possess your car. If you have to keep paying to possess it, you don't really own it, because you don't control it. The government can deny you the use of the car unless you pay them. They can deny you the use of it. That's control. That's the true measure of ownership.

In fact, in the US at least, the government claims to own you. The same's true of most civilized countries, and has been since the medieval nobles got tired of serfs killing themselves to get into Heaven. They prevailed upon the Pope, who made suicide a mortal sin, and a one-way ticket to hell. That, you see, is why attempting suicide's illegal in most western countries. Success isn't, but only for pragmatic reasons: Hard to put a corpse on trial.

Attempted suicide's illegal. Why? Because by attempting to kill yourself, you are attempting to deprive society of your productiveness, and more, the fruits of that productiveness. In other words, taxes.

And that's where 'all the stuff in your home' comes in. Income gets taxed. Gifts over a certain amount get taxed. Why over a certain amount? Not because the State doesn't think it's entitled... just because they don't want to have to deal with all the extra paperwork. When you die, everything you own gets totaled up, and if the amount is large enough to be worth the IRS' time... THAT gets taxed. All the stuff you own gets converted into 'this chunk belongs to the government now'. You don't actually control it. You can refuse to pay your taxes, but that'll get you fined and tossed in jail.

Because the State claims it is entitled to your taxes. Because Society believes it is entitled to your contributions to it in exchange for roads, for schools, for running water and electrical infrastructure, and the level of internal security and peace that allows all of that to continue to function. Because governments have divvied up the planet entire, and as much as you or I might like to think it, no man is truly born free anymore. We were once omnivorous pack predators... we are remaking ourselves into herd animals.

The Cake Is A Lie.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH wrote:We

We basically agree on what is right and what is wrong. The problem is, you shouldn't believe in any sort of right and wrong.  If every thought is merely a synaptic response to a physical occurrence, then there is no such thing as choice. Every action is totally guided by your genes, physical surroundings, and brain structure.

Ah the free will argument. Lets see

Memories.... Nope that is physical.  Memories are stored in the brain and can be damage or destroyed when the brain is damaged.

What about emotions.  Nope also physical.   Depression medication works.

The senses. Probably the most obvious to be physical.  Without eyes I don't have the ability to interpret photons.

What is left in decision making that cannot be chucked up these factors?

So you are saying you would rape children just because god doesn't exist?  You personally have that feeling inside you... I mean you must since you say there is no reason to strive for good.

I don't claim to believe in no soul.  I simply say there is no evidence for a soul, so I lack belief in it.  We have already demonstrated that right and wrong can comes from other sources, you have yet to refute them. 

If animals don't have a sense of morality, why don't they just kill there children?

Property in the animal world,  have you ever heard of spraying. You know where a Tiger will pee on a tree making its property.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

3t7
3t7's picture
User is offlineOffline
My first peek at this

My first peek at this thread. It seems like everyone has gone way off the original topic? Ethics now?

I have to admit, ethics is probably the area where theists have the easiest time.

Q: Why should I behave a certain way? A: Because God says so. Q: Why should I do what God says? A: Because he is God. Q: Why should I obey God just because he is God? A: Because he'll mess you up for all eternity if you don't.

It is all very simple and cut and dried, and, provided the person believes, provides all the whats and whys for both justifying and mandating the behavioral norms that most people agree upon.

Of course it has its problems (e.g. Euthyphro dilemma), but, practically speaking, the theist can just run that gauntlet  unapologetically upholding the absolute sovereignty of God and accept the "what is good is good because God says so" horn of the dilemma.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
RRS is seeing philosophy

RRS is seeing philosophy digested.  Way cool BMcD - Magus

Had to Google , "The cake is a lie".    DOOMED SOUL stumped me with that.

umm, it needs to be retro,  here's mine,

Crumbs of enticement from the mega rich/gov/church secret HUGE bag of cookies .... "so get hard to working for your rewards, you my beloved"  (fooled slaves because their controlling big bag in never big enough)  "and remember, heaven awaits the god fearing hard working obedient. I love you and will protect you." (hee hee $$$$$) 

I must write a better one .....  

Next, the "Euthyphro dilemma" !  Cool, Thanks ya all .... 

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH wrote:In

In a society that desperately needs wheat, one mans hordes all the wheat and sells it only to the richest, starving the poor. Is he wrong? Why?

That same thing happens in our society all the time. People are dying from various diseases all the time, and the drug companies sell the drugs at extravagant prices. Are they wrong?

Morality is much more fluid than you seem to believe. What is correct behavior in one situation may not be correct in another. In general, killing another human is not moral in our society -- but what if that person is threatening you or one who relies on you for protection? Killing in the name of self-defence is considered morally acceptable.

We have high standards of behavior in our society, but that is because we have comfortable society that provides a high standard of living for the majority of the population. If we were to lose that high standard of living, we might descend into a bit of chaos. If the majority of the population is willing and able to kill without legal retribution, do you imagine it is moral to kill in self-defence?

Quote:

Apes don't lie. They nowhere near the level of even a small child.

Yes, they lie. Please read up on Koko, for instance.

Humans are not nearly as special as you seem to believe. The difference in our cognative ability is quantitative, not qualitative. There is nothing to indicate that we are substantially different from other apes. The only evidence of our specialized skill (thinking) is that we have crossed the rubicon somewhere along the way, and figured out how to convey abstract ideas through language. After that, our complex communication provided selective pressure, and our branch of evolution specialized in communication and abstract thinking.

Quote:

Beavers haven't figured out that there are better materials to use besides wood. There is a much larger difference then merely being a more complex animal.

I'm not denying that. I mentioned beavers to refute your assertion that no other animal changes their environment to suit their needs. I could've used termites just as easily, but the word "beaver" is funnier than "termite."

You have made many assertions that are just plain wrong. That was on of them, and one of the most plainly wrong, and probably the least important of them all.

Incidentally, what makes humans a "more complex animal?" What is your rubric for determinic "complexity?"

Quote:

Why would we and no other animal develop abstract thought as a survival method?

You might as well ask why no other animal has developed a huge body like the blue whale, or no other animal has developed the ability to run at 100kph like a cheetah, or no other animal has such a humorously long neck like a girrafe.

Specialization is part of evolution. We specialized in communication as a survival mechanism. The fact that this also allowed us to build houses and roads and nachos and those little dunking birds that sit on the edge of a water glass is incidental. Ironically, our specialization has made us generalists. We are not particularly well suited to anything but thinking now.

Other animals think abstractly -- our brothers in the ape family are excellent examples. Our singular ability is communication, which allows us to exchange and preserve abstract thoughts. That is, we not only think abstractly, but we are able to teach others our thoughts. We are not only standing on the shoulders of giants; we are standing on the history of humanity, our entire heritage from the first grunted words, through oral history, up to the first scribbled pictograms, and so on.

We have moved away from the animal world, but we are yet animals ourselves. We have insulated ourselves from the rest of the world, but that doesn't mean we are different.

What you see as uniqueness, I see as self-exile.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH

Their [sic] is no such thing as property in the animal world. Only humans have this idea. That is just one of the differences that I am talking about.

And again, you are wrong.

I have two dogs. They each have their toys. If one tries to play with a toy that belongs to the other, a tussle breaks out. Sometimes one will steal the other's toy, simply to start a tussle, because they like to tussle. But, it only happens with "their" toy. When they sleep, they sleep only with their toy.

Then, bears are territorial. They will defend their territory against intruders. It is their "property." If you don't believe so, you're welcome to try to drive one off their land.

And again, some apes will hold on to useless items that they like, and defend them against theft.

Humans are not separate from animals. We are animals. There is no substantial difference, other than our specialized ability to communicate abstract thought.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Use the

deludedgod wrote:

Use the recent post function, or go to "My account" and then "track", to see all the threads to which you have contributed.

It's possible that the function to keep trolls and theists in the proper area is finally working.  I've been working on it, but didn't think I had it working right,  Seems maybe theists are in the proper area, but trolls can still roam.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:first,

Shitrock wrote:

first, american society as a whole is far more rational than african bushmen(no, not because theyre african).  plain and simple.

I agree with you.  Too bad that's not what this bit of our disagreement is about.

You put words in my mouth about the relative rationality between the US and South Africa (well, Africa generally; I narrowed it to SA).  I mentioned beliefs about HIV/AIDS specifically, which you conflated to the societies in general.  That was your mistake.

Please admit it, then move on.

Quote:
also, i dont believe in prayer.   second,  why doesnt communism work? because its immoral to force people against their will.

I disagree.  Communism doesn't work because it ignores the fact that people are almost never rational actors when it comes to economics; they act in self-interest in a way they perceive to be the best for them.  Communism was an attempt to change the way people acted economically without addressing their underlying motivations.  IMO, that's why it failed.

Quote:

third, if language gave us no competative advantage then why do we have it?   animals can hunt and cooperate just fine without a complex language. 

Yes, animals can hunt just fine without language, even cooperatively.  We have language because our ancestors developed it as a consequence of having larger brains than other proto-hominids.  It gave US a way to out-compete other species, but there are many other animals that did not have the requisite brain mass because they never evolved it.  They never evolved it because they could compete sufficiently well without it; there was no selective pressure for a group with more brain over a group with less.

Quote:
fourth, you assume that naturalistic explanations make a difference.  it doesnt matter why we are different. only that we are.  finally, you are assuming that the soul is dependent on naturalistic explanations when by definition it does not. 

I don't even know what you're getting at here.  Of course naturalistic explanations make a difference, as they have a direct relationship to reality.  The soul must be dependent on naturalistic explanations, or it simply does not exist, period.  Go read Todangst's essays on the topic of stealing from naturalism; he does a much better job of explaining this point than I can.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH

Obviously you missed my point, animals do not create new substances, build roads, have herds, build complex buildings that are completely unnecessary for survival. They do not make art, they do nothing but eat and procreate and survive. Whales and gorillas can communicate, but it is not a complex language even close to the level that humans have.

So what?  Do you think the language of humans as recently as 10,000 years ago was as complex as languages now?  Why or why not?

Quote:

A gorilla can learn to sign, but will never name a thing. It memorizes motions, and puts shapes and colors to those motions. Thats it.

This is simply wrong.  Koko named her first cat Lipstick.  And before you get all "but that's just assigning the learned name for one thing to another", this is exactly what human children do when naming pets.  What's more, when asked why she chose Lipstick, she explained that it was because the cat was the same colour as, you guessed it, the lipstick worn by one of her favourite caregivers.  She noted an abstract similarity, and used it as a reason to make a decision.

Quote:

I can teach my dog to sit when i say "Sit". But if I say "Pop a squat." the dog will just look at me, no matter how many times I said it.

And what would you do if someone told you to do something in a completely unknown colloquialism in a non-native language you understood only slightly?  Would you ask them to explain?  That's what your dog did.

--

shikko
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH

C'mon shikko, show me the difference.  Tell me the difference between:

I do not believe in a god.

I believe that there is no god.

Wheres the difference?

The difference is between describing the world ("I believe the sun goes around the earth" ) and not accepting a description of the world ("I do not believe the sun goes around the earth" ).  The first is an active assertion of how reality operates, the second is rejecting an idea about reality.  Making a claim versus rejecting a claim without putting forth your own.

I don't know how to make it more clear than this.  If you still don't understand, think of some alternate phrases you can form this way until you do.  If you still don't, come back in a few months and see if it's any different.

Quote:

Don't try an evade the question, you claimed that your beliefs are not based on observation but are simply influenced by them. So what else is there? C'mon if you got the answer give it.

I'll admit to some confusion here: what are you claiming I said?  Point me to a post number for a direct quote, or cut and paste or something, because I'm not sure what your objection is anymore.

--