Stray Kittens

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Stray Kittens

I was talking to Shelley about this last night and she suggested I post it here with pictures. We feed stray cats - a black and white female has been coming for months. Friday morning she brought her kittens - 4 black, one black and white. One of the black ones was adopted by someone my mom works with. They are about 4 - 5 weeks old. We brought them in so they don't get hit by a car or eaten by hawks. Tried to get the mother in, but couldn't (in fact she bit me badly on the thumb.) We take them out to nurse every few hours. So here are the kittens (bad picture because they kept trying to come to me while I took it - they are very friendly.)

Momma Cat

Nursing

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
On a related note here's a

On a related note here's a picture I took last night of 2 of my cats - Sam (red) and Sasha (grey) laying together.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
adorable!  thanks for

adorable!  thanks for posting.

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's cool Matt A few years

That's cool Matt Smiling

A few years ago, my buddies and I came across some kittens abandoned by the owners. The owners put them in a cardboard box and dropped it off at the side of the road. Somebody swerved and ran over the box, breaking the tails of two of the kittens. (One of my favorites, with a broken tail, had a white ring around its right eye so well called it Ringo.) We took the kittens to the house of one of my friend's and helped take care of them. They never put them up for adoption, they still hang out over there Smiling

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thats the first constructive

Thats the first constructive thing I have heard you have done. Congrats man!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Now I get the pimp thing! 

Now I get the pimp thing!  It's cats!

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awwwww...

They are too cute! What a great thing you're doing! I am big on animal rescue, I have 3 dogs, and 3 cats (all rescues), I worked with a horse rescue for years up north too.

Keep up the good work!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I have 6 cats (not counting

I have 6 cats (not counting the kittens) - all rescues (1 from Humane Society, all the rest were stray.)

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
How cute, this brings back

How cute, this brings back memories, horrible memories that is

one or two years ago, when I was going to school, I saw two little kittens being crushed by a car.

when I got closer, the only thing that remained where a pool of blood, entrails and white fur. there is still somethink like a mark at the spot.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:

one or two years ago, when I was going to school, I saw two little kittens being crushed by a car.

when I got closer, the only thing that remained where a pool of blood, entrails and white fur. there is still somethink like a mark at the spot.

Was that really necessary to post?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Way to kill everyone's happy

Way to kill everyone's happy kitten buzz, oblivion

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the post Matt...

It reminded me that I've not been out to my local County Animal Shelter in a couple of months. So on my way to run other errands I picked up two large bags of dog food, a medium of puppy food and 4 cat foods plus a couple of toys and dropped them by. Took my Cavalier pup with me and she loved the place. We both hated to say goodbye to all the wonderful animals they had and may have to return to adopt one...  or two.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm surprised the mum isn't

I'm surprised the mum isn't letting you take her inside, I thought she'd want to ensure the safety of the kitties.  They're all gorgous, I love the work you're doing Matt. Smiling

I wish I could have cats where I am, but rental units are generally pet unfriendly. Sad I've had a few cats in the past back when I was living with my parental units, all strays.  I miss having a cat.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Way to kill

Jello wrote:

Way to kill everyone's happy kitten buzz, oblivion

I know, right? Boooooo!  

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Trust me... it totally was...

You people go fuckin loopy around cat pictures -_-

(I would also like it to be known that i held off on a joke about concentrated pussy juice, in lue of this post ;-p )

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay pets! ...I sometimes

Yay pets!

...I sometimes wish I could have a pet. (Like, y'know, a real pet, not just a novelty pet like my snails & mite-eating mites). There are two barriers up here:

1) I always shack-up in an apartment. Apartment building never allow pets. Sad

2) Animal shelters charge what would be an arm and a leg for me to take an animal off their hands.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Double boooooooo!

I will now torture you with pictures of my adorable cats...

K9sByte
User is offlineOffline
Awww!  If we weren't maxxed

Awww!  If we weren't maxxed out with 4 cats and a dog, I'd totally kidnap these kitties!  Hope they all find good homes!

Proper Gander
Proper Gander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rescuing those kittens is

Rescuing those kittens is all fine and dandy, but who's going to save the hawks when they die from starvation?

"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy."

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I recently rescued a kitten

I recently rescued a kitten and my housemates and I looked after it for a few days. I found it in the alley at the back of our student house. It was way too young to be outside. Wish I had a photo to show you. At home (which I've recently moved back to now I've finished uni) I have two cats. Will show you some pictures. Woody is a 6 year old ginger and white male and Poppy is a one year old black and white female.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Black cats are the best.

Black cats are the best. Quite suitable for an atheist. I have a 10-year-old all-black Maine Coon that I found as a stray.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Matt that is awesome! And

Matt that is awesome! And way to go to all that adopt from shelters! (or pick them up off the street! Smiling )

Here are my 2 rescue beagles! To put the size into perspective the little guy (max) is a 15" beagle...that is the biggest AKC recognized size...the other beagle (Buddy) is about 18 "  And 69 pounds. We think he is part harrier or foxhound?

They are our children 

[/URL]" alt="" />

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proper Gander wrote:Rescuing

Proper Gander wrote:

Rescuing those kittens is all fine and dandy, but who's going to save the hawks when they die from starvation?

Sign me up for that shit. Birds are mad cool.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Now they like climbing up my

Now they like climbing up my shirt and sitting on my shoulder.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I worked at a county animal

I worked at a county animal shelter back in my walking days... Matt perhaps you could ask the Humane Society in your area if they have a TNR program.  I would have mentioned this earlier but I've been having too may personal issues to think clearly. 

TNR stands for trap - neuter - release.  The cat is trapped, vaccinated, spayed and then released with a marking - typically on the ear.  It's a way to control the overpopulation of feral cats... if she really doesn't want to come inside with you at least you won't have to be on the look out for litters all the time.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I know what TNR is - I've

I know what TNR is - I've donated to alleycatallies before.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome Matt.  You're

Awesome Matt.  You're really up on the cat stuff!  I'm glad the Mother choose your patio to hang out at as most people don't know what to do.

You know what I was thinking... even if working with animals in a shelter wouldn't work for you perhaps you could find an admin job at the county shelter.  idk - it's worth looking at the job listings to see what's available.

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am I alone?

I am an animal hater! (Well pet hater mostly)

It seems to be pretty uncommon in the atheist community.

I HATE hair, odd smells and being bothered.

These seem to be common with pets.

The Animal I most like are ants.

I do have a 4 year old...does that count as a pet?

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote:I HATE

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

Quote:
I do have a 4 year old

I prefer my furry kids over "real" children by a long shot.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote: I HATE

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

Cats are generally low maintenance. As long as you feed them and change their litterbox once every few days, they don't typically smell or bother. Sure, they shed hair. But vacuuming usually takes care of that.

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

My 3-year-old pees on the floor and doesn't listen to what I tell her. So she's pretty much a dog.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
So if you've received the

So if you've received the ACA newsletter and/or mailings then you probably have read about ferals that come around and interact with people, but it may take years.

It may be a good idea to contact small local rescues, the Humane Society and SPCA in this area are not known for working with ferals. It's a good thing the kittens becomes socialized though so they're adoptable. My concern would be the long term care for adult ferals, since if you ever need to relocate it'd be good to know people locally that may take over caring for them.

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
BTW when I was actively

BTW when I was actively doing rescue stuff my vet gave me an antiseptic called chlorhexadine (sp?) - it's blue and I guess it kills both gram positive and negative bacteria, wounds seem to heal faster too. This wasn't even for ferals, but was an "unadoptable" stray. I doubt most ferals would even try to bite you unless they're cornered or caged.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote:I am an

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

I am an animal hater! (Well pet hater mostly)

It seems to be pretty uncommon in the atheist community.

The Animal I most like are ants.

I must admit, I hate dogs. The stink, they lick and slobber all over you, they bark, and you can never play football in peace when one's around. Cat's though are cool, they clean themselves, and as Geirg said all you have to do is feed them. Plus I love their deluded notion that they're actually the boss of you.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, not a fan of dogs.

Yeah, not a fan of dogs. Right now my legs are all scratched up from the kittens climbing me.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Hear hear

Proper Gander wrote:

Hear hear hear

Just to clarify, I love cats as much as the next girl, but lest we forget, animals are animals, and one should always keep the big picture in mind.

We eat animals, and pigs, cows and chickens are arguably as deserving of our attention (or not) as dogs and cats. So either don't eat animals, or at least admit that you only worry about saving the "cute" ones. (If you are one of the ones who don't eat animals, then fair enough, I can't acuse you of hypocracy on this account, but then we have another argument, but that's for a different thread)

Also, don't forget that every cent you donate to animal rescue is a cent you could have donated to starving children in Africa. I sometimes think it borders on immoral when people donate money to any kind of animal rights groups. I can understand the sentiment, and I can forgive people for forgetting to see the big picture, but I honestly have to say that every dollar you donate out of the goodness of your heart that doesn't go to Amnesty International or something similar, is not just wasted, it's worse: it's missplaced. The goodness of your heart could have been directed at something much more important. Once we human beings are truly equally safe and content, then we can start worrying about the animals.

Sorry in advance, if I've killed your buzz, but it really sadens me when people who are clearly kind, empathic people, misdirect that kindness and empathy.

And having pets is great, both for your own wellbeing, and for theirs, and I commend you for it; indeed I've always planned to have a cat or a dog if ever I move to a bigger place, and, more importantly, if the rumors I've heard about modern allergy-treatments are correct. But I challenge you to the following: every time you see an animal suffer, and feel a sting in your heart, think, for just a moment, that somewhere in Africa, there is RIGHT NOW a small human child suffering at least as much. Starvation, violence, rape. RAPE PEOPLE!

Never forget that...

Sorry, but I really felt I had to.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:  Sorry in

Nikolaj wrote:

Sorry in advance, if I've killed your buzz, but it really sadens me when people who are clearly kind, empathic people, misdirect that kindness and empathy.

No need to apologize, I'm quite familiar with the "Family of Man" mindset.  I've never had four legged animals treat me as shitty as the two-legged kind, though.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sorry in advance, if

Quote:

Personally, I feel like I direct my kindness and empathy to humans as well as animals. I'm an equal opportunity empathizer!

I will say though, that I like most animals more than I like most people...can't help it.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:so, don't

Nikolaj wrote:

so, don't forget that every cent you donate to animal rescue is a cent you could have donated to starving children in Africa. I sometimes think it borders on immoral when people donate money to any kind of animal rights groups. I can understand the sentiment, and I can forgive people for forgetting to see the big picture, but I honestly have to say that every dollar you donate out of the goodness of your heart that doesn't go to Amnesty International or something similar, is not just wasted, it's worse: it's missplaced. The goodness of your heart could have been directed at something much more important. Once we human beings are truly equally safe and content, then we can start worrying about the animals.

OR people could just be more responsible pet owners and not just dump their unwanted animals outside when the novelty of a puppy/kitten/etc. wears off.  people caused the cat overpopulation... we didn't take away food from kids in africa.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:We eat

Nikolaj wrote:

We eat animals, and pigs, cows and chickens are arguably as deserving of our attention (or not) as dogs and cats. So either don't eat animals, or at least admit that you only worry about saving the "cute" ones. (If you are one of the ones who don't eat animals, then fair enough, I can't acuse you of hypocracy on this account, but then we have another argument, but that's for a different thread)

I don't eat animals, including fish. There's no moral reasoning behind this. I just don't want to because I never have, not since I was five years old (admittedly there was some primitive moral reasoning at the time).

Nikolaj wrote:

Also, don't forget that every cent you donate to animal rescue is a cent you could have donated to starving children in Africa. I sometimes think it borders on immoral when people donate money to any kind of animal rights groups. I can understand the sentiment, and I can forgive people for forgetting to see the big picture, but I honestly have to say that every dollar you donate out of the goodness of your heart that doesn't go to Amnesty International or something similar, is not just wasted, it's worse: it's missplaced. The goodness of your heart could have been directed at something much more important. Once we human beings are truly equally safe and content, then we can start worrying about the animals.

I totally agree with you. I think the well-being of human beings should come first. That said, most mammals, and probably most vertebrates have the same capacity to suffer as human beings. There is no rational answer here, where the natural properties of suffering are equal in both a human child or a kitten it simply comes down to which we'd rather help, or whose life is more important, and to human beings we will always see human life as more important than animal life when it comes down to it.  

Nikolaj wrote:

Empathy isn't rational, it's an emotion. If we could rationalise it then yes we could probably see that we're misdirecting it. But it's not a tap that can be turned on at will. To some the image of a cute little kitten with ailment x appeals more to their empathic nature than a scrawny kid with flies on his face. It might not be nice, but emotions aren't rational, as much as we'd like them to be. 

Nikolaj wrote:
And having pets is great, both for your own wellbeing, and for theirs, and I commend you for it; indeed I've always planned to have a cat or a dog if ever I move to a bigger place, and, more importantly, if the rumors I've heard about modern allergy-treatments are correct. But I challenge you to the following: every time you see an animal suffer, and feel a sting in your heart, think, for just a moment, that somewhere in Africa, there is RIGHT NOW a small human child suffering at least as much. Starvation, violence, rape. RAPE PEOPLE!

Never forget that...

Sorry, but I really felt I had to.

Like I said, I totally understand. I'm with you on this.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I personally like cats

I personally like cats better than people.

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:iluvc2h5oh

geirj wrote:

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

Cats are generally low maintenance. As long as you feed them and change their litterbox once every few days, they don't typically smell or bother. Sure, they shed hair. But vacuuming usually takes care of that.

Hmmm....that would still fit into all 3 catagories I mentioned.....

And you cant really like Cats more or less than people they are apples and oranges.....

That is like saying you like movies more than the color blue.

Animals are not really our equal, humans can do more things to piss you off, but they are your equals...they are your competition.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
While this is better thought

While this is better thought out than the typical emotional reaction toward helping cute companion animals, it strikes me as a rather limited view of how that goodness works. By measuring things only in terms of the efforts and work achieved by the individual it is easy to overlook the value of compassion itself, which has the power to inspire others. Of course someone with that kind of power probably wouldn't limit themselves to a preference for animals, but it may just start with that. You never know if that's what might inspire them to do something bigger and in turn eventually inspire others, but if that instinct was suppressed in the first place it may never happen. I say whatever that may possibly encourage that should be supported, because from what I can tell it's not something we have an overabundance of.

Nikolaj wrote:

The goodness of your heart could have been directed at something much more important.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
To be honest I have no way

To be honest I have no way to help starving kids in Africa, but I can bring in/feed stray cats locally. I do like cats better than people. No cat ever treated me bad because I am in poor physical shape or am not so good looking or have no social skills.  I also seem to "connect" to cats much better than I do to people.

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
What I wonder about is

What I wonder about is whether the people who are active in whatever organization or cause realize whether they like someone on a personal level is really irrelevant to the work. It's one thing to send money somewhere, it's quite another to actually work together so you can do more.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
everybody has some degree of

everybody has some degree of personal interest in helping others (even when those others are animals).  matt likes cats and it seems like he's knowledgeable in their care so sure he's helping them but they are giving him companionship.  the hawks aren't going to starve because i assure you there are *way* too many feral cats out there... in addition to whatever else they eat.  i don't think there is anything wrong with that all all.  could he be doing something *more* beneficial to society as a whole?  sure, we all could. 

in the meantime, if this momma kitten is spayed and her kittens are given stable homes it's putting less stress on the local tax system.  hell, statistically he's also least preventing one car accident since one less cat is going to end up as road kill.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:hell,

shelleymtjoy wrote:

hell, statistically he's also least preventing one car accident since one less cat is going to end up as road kill.

You call hitting a gooey speed bump, a car accident? o_O

(Granted, i have witnessed idiots crash some nice friggin cars, because there was a lil furry thing on the road -_- )

What Would Kharn Do?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
uh, a lot of crashes occur

uh, a lot of crashes occur as a result of someone trying to swerve to avoid an animal (i could look up some stats for you but it's 2:30 AM and i need to pee.)  few people actually just say the hell with it and keep the foot on the gas.  (which btw - they teach you to do in racing school).

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: You

The Doomed Soul wrote:

You call hitting a gooey speed bump, a car accident? o_O

(Granted, i have witnessed idiots crash some nice friggin cars, because there was a lil furry thing on the road -_- )

That's so true.  I drive a mint condition 1970 Cadillac Eldorado and I don't even avoid running over school children anymore...seriously, why risk smacking into a curb and ruining an expensive wheel or busting up my suspension ?  Do you know how hard it is to find parts for older cars ?

Also, I was thinking about ordering personalized license plates for my ride but does anyone know how to reduce death machine to fit into the 6 character limits of a license plate ?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Right now we have one cat

Right now we have one cat and one dog.  In the past I've had fish, lizards, snakes, birds, hermit crabs (lay off the crab jokes you dorks), shrimp, turtles, frogs, rats, etc.

Animals kick ass.

My aunt used to have a monkey.  In the winter when she would get up to make breakfast the monkey would set next to the stove, hold it's palms up to the warmth, and then briskly rub his hands together to warm them up just like a human.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:My aunt used

Watcher wrote:

My aunt used to have a monkey.  In the winter when she would get up to make breakfast the monkey would set next to the stove, hold it's palms up to the warmth, and then briskly rub his hands together to warm them up just like a human.

Awesome! I want a chimpanzee. Not so much as a pet, but I'd teach it sign language from an early age (once I'd taught myself sign language). They are surprisingly intelligent when they acquire language as has been proven by several studies. Same goes for Gorillas, but they might get a bit big. There was a Gorilla called Michael used to live in some university in the states that was actually a rather talented impressionist painter. 

I kinda wish that homo sapiens (as in neanderthal - a common error is to mistake the term homo sapiens (neanderthal) for homo sapiens sapiens (human being)) weren't extinct. I suppose it's a good thing that they are though, they'd probably be enslaved.  

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I kinda wish that homo sapiens (as in neanderthal - a common error is to mistake the term homo sapiens (neanderthal) for homo sapiens sapiens (human being)) weren't extinct.

Well...

That depends on who you talk to.

Some experts do place the Neandertals in a sub group of homo sapiens and some don't.

Personally I don't think they should be called Homo sapiens neandertalensis.  But what do I know?  I'm an IT guy.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci