George Carlin, dead at 71

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
George Carlin, dead at 71

Just heard about this. So sad. I enjoyed his comedy...one of my favorites. RIP George.

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I first found out about

When I first found out about his death, the first thought that came to mind was "Fuck!", followed by anger. Perhaps because we wouldn't get to hear more of his views on todays western world. Perhaps because I admire him.

My second thought, which came almost immediately, was: "George would really kick my balls over this reaction", which calmed me and gave a reason to have a bittersweet laugh. I guess this is the best compliment I could ever offer to honor his memory, he contributed to my continuous critical analysis of even my most visceral reactions. Here's to you George!

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm really sad about his

I'm really sad about his passing, but I'd never admit it in public.  I have every intention of honoring his memory by cracking an inappropriate joke when it comes up in conversation.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
George was a great comedian

George was a great comedian and blunt about his atheism.  Hilarious sense of humor, he will be greatly missed.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
That sucks.

That sucks. Sad

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I know George wouldn't want

I know George wouldn't want me too but   

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
I came here to post

I came here to post this

"I'm sure he is up in heaven, smiling down on us"

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah , George was "saved"

Yeah , George was "saved" !!!!     I feel better now .... YEAH George ! 

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Gonna miss him

It was an evening of entertainment to see him in 1970 something.  Not in person mind you, but on TV.  We had that back then you know.  His comedy was so raw, off the beaten path, it was refreshing.  It's too bad that type if humor is gone, but not forgotten.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some of my favorite GC quotes....

1. What if there were no hypothetical questions?

2. I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away.

3. Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

4. The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

5. I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me - they're cramming for their final exam.

6. Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

7. I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it.

8. Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

9. If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?

10. "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

Rest In Peace George.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Too bad

He was a great comedian, gonna miss his comedy for sure.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
The greatest commentary on

The greatest commentary on religion: George Carlin religion is bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Hopefully he is with Joe Pesci now.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The greatest

EXC wrote:

The greatest commentary on religion: George Carlin religion is bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen this in a while... Favorite quote,

"He loves you...and he NEEDS MONEY !"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I seen this when I logged

I seen this when I logged onto my homepage. That sucks.

Wikinite
Wikinite's picture
User is offlineOffline
George is dead?  Gee, he

George is dead?  Gee, he was just here a second ago

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
As Kurt Vonnegut would say...

"So it goes."

I remember hearing about Kurt Vonnegut's death just over a year ago.

On an odd note, in a novel I am writing (an earlier partial draft posted here in this forum) I predicted Carlin would die sometime between 2013 and 2018, during a conflict known as the Franco-Turkic War, when his jet was struck by a Turkish missile after leaving France, having gone there for something of an atheist USO show for the atheist American emigres fighting in the French paramilitaries.

Now I have to rewrite the novel.

Well, George Carlin will certainly be missed.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
I saw this this morning and

I saw this this morning and said WHAT!? No F-ing way! then i did a google search and saw it was true. Tis a sad day indeed. He will be missed. I have yet to have another comedian get me laughing like him...

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
How long do you think it

How long do you think it will be before death bed recantation stories emerge?

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote:How long do

stillmatic wrote:

15 seconds before I posted this.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote:How long do

stillmatic wrote:

Ha! I posted something to that effect on another board. I think the spam emails detailing his deathbed conversion will start circulating shortly.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There's already been for

There's already been for years e mails with quotes falsely attributed to him that imply he's Christian or a neocon, despite his saying they're not from him (ie that "bad American" one.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

skywolf
skywolf's picture
User is offlineOffline
the death of the best comiedian ever

goerge was sharp witted funny and a better artist than i'll ever be he was an atheist and a damn good american he called us on our bullshit and i will miss that call to reason so much

no god may bless him as he was the living proof that no god exists

mohammed is mr poopy pants allah is a cootie queen and islam is a lint licker
http://seekerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/_blogger_5932_1957_1600_religion_of_peace_1-1.jpg

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Carlin was not only an

Carlin was not only an unbelievably funny guy, he was a tremendous performer, wickedly intelligent, and a scathing social critic.  He was definitely a top 5 comedian in my book.  No one illuminated the silliness of existence quite like George. 

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
If I was a theist, and I

If I was a theist, and I still had some traces when I first heard him - I would still like George. Damn, if I was the God of the theists he'd be saved - for whatever that's worth.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
George Carlin was among the

George Carlin was among the brightest, caring, observant people to ever exist on planet earth ! PERIOD !  Spend some time with him in Youtube etc. He is a good way to start the day while cooking your breakfast !  Thanks George .....

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:George

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

George Carlin was among the brightest, caring, observant people to ever exist on planet earth ! PERIOD !  Spend some time with him in Youtube etc. He is a good way to start the day while cooking your breakfast !  Thanks George .....

Hey, I've actually done that a few times! 

I AM is right, try not to spill your OJ while listening to his abortion line: "How come when it's us it's 'an abortion,' but when it's a chicken it's an omelet?"

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
:-(

I had the opportunity to see him in Las Vegas when I was out there earlier this month, but the posse and I were lazy and decided against it. I surely wish we had not.

Rest in peace George.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
RIP

If there werea Mount Rushmore for Comedic Genius, George would be on it...

So long buddy... you will be missed.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Crabbybastard
Crabbybastard's picture
User is offlineOffline
George

Rest in peace George. You will be missed.