Upside down cross!!!

Godless5150
Godless5150's picture
User is offlineOffline
Upside down cross!!!

Hey everyone!! This happens to be my first post on these forums and I hope it goes well. I want to direct everyones attention to the picture of myself I uploaded. If you look closely you'll see I took this picture using the mirror in the Bathroom(thanks myspace).

Anyways to the point. I'm looking for ideas to fill in and around my tattoo. If you can't see it it's an upside down cross. I am just stumped with what I should do with it. Any good ideas guys?  Thanks in advance.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
What made you get an

What made you get an inverted cross in the first place? Better yet why did you get a tattoo?

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote: Better yet

Abu Lahab wrote:

Better yet why did you get a tattoo?

...um, because he wanted to ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Just throwing this out

Just throwing this out there, but how about having your artist fill in the cross with flames and demons, like a window into Hell ? 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Help us out: were you

Help us out: were you making reference to the martyrdom of St. Peter (crucified upside-down in deference to Christ) or was there another symbolism you were going for there?

I'm thinking Prozac's fire-and-brimstone suggestion will win the day, since it has the highest dietary content of awesome.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Abu

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Abu Lahab wrote:

Better yet why did you get a tattoo?

...um, because he wanted to ?

That's the 'best' reason to do something? Explains a lot....

Kids today, eh?

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Godless5150 wrote:Hey

Godless5150 wrote:

Hey everyone!! This happens to be my first post on these forums and I hope it goes well. I want to direct everyones attention to the picture of myself I uploaded. If you look closely you'll see I took this picture using the mirror in the Bathroom(thanks myspace).

Anyways to the point. I'm looking for ideas to fill in and around my tattoo. If you can't see it it's an upside down cross. I am just stumped with what I should do with it. Any good ideas guys?  Thanks in advance.

You should fill the empty space with the word "regret" in Old English lettering. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote: That's

Abu Lahab wrote:

That's the 'best' reason to do something? Explains a lot....

Kids today, eh?

Heck, I'm not a kid and I have one on my back that says   LIFE IS A WAR.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:You should fill

jmm wrote:

You should fill the empty space with the word "regret" in Old English lettering. 

Why "regret" ?   Is it because the Catholoc Church forbids tattoos as well ?

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about this?

Make the edges of the cross appear to be scar tissue and the cross section of your muscles and rib bones.  On the inside could be a schematic of a computer circuit like this:

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:jmm

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

No.  I have tattoos.  His tattoo is just particularly bad. 

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the flames/demons

I like the flames/demons idea. It all depends on what your going for exactly. You could fill it with stars, planets, including the earth to represent what we know is real. You could put some sort of latin inside like..."Veritas vincit" - Truth conquers
"Veritas vos liberabit" - The truth will set you free, with flames in the background. Your options are limitless. Google your heart out.

Welcome to the forum...I'm a newb too.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: No.  I have

jmm wrote:

Curious, what are your tattoos and what makes them "good" ?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

I never said my tattoos were good, his is just particularly bad. 

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tats

Personally I avoid most religious symbols like crosses and saints and crap like that. I have a chinese dragon with smoke coming from the mouth, which turns in to a branch of a cherry blossom tree, which becomes the K in my daughters name, I am planning to add aequitas, Veritas, Vita. Across my chest and finish off the cherry bloosom tree with more branches and part of the truck. There are more coming (family heritage and other stuff that I am in the mist of designing) The only thing that I would recommend is take your time and make sure it is something you will want, don't get it done on impulse either.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:ProzacDeathWish

jmm wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

What makes his "bad" ?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Personally

latincanuck wrote:

Personally I avoid most religious symbols like crosses and saints and crap like that. I have a chinese dragon with smoke coming from the mouth, which turns in to a branch of a cherry blossom tree, which becomes the K in my daughters name, I am planning to add aequitas, Veritas, Vita. Across my chest and finish off the cherry bloosom tree with more branches and part of the truck. There are more coming (family heritage and other stuff that I am in the mist of designing) The only thing that I would recommend is take your time and make sure it is something you will want, don't get it done on impulse either.

Honesty, truth, life? 

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Justice/equality Truth and

Justice/equality Truth and life

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I only go for symbolic

I only go for symbolic animal imagery in my tattoos.  Kind of like a modern version of the cave of Lascaux, only on my body instead.

Of course I've only got two so far.

But I have ideas for more.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

What makes his "bad" ?

It just looks silly, angry, and regrettable.  It's like when the lead singer of Deicide branded an inverted cross into his forehead.  Sure, at the time he planned on committing suicide at age 33, but he's in his 40s now and has garnered mild financial success, so he probably regrets it to a certain extent. 

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:ProzacDeathWish

jmm wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

Um...his tattoo isn't done, that's why he is asking for input.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:jmm

KathieG wrote:

jmm wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

Um...his tattoo isn't done, that's why he is asking for input.

Yes, I realize that.  My point is, the tattoo is going to be lame no matter how he finishes it. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: It just looks

jmm wrote:

It just looks silly, angry, and regrettable. 

It's art ...not science.... and what looks silly, angry or regrettable is purely subjective.  I suppose that since his tattoo is anti-Christian that doesn't influence your opinion a wee bit ?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don;t know if you are

I don;t know if you are famaliar with the anime series Trigun bu there is a presut character who carries a huge as cross from town to town.  When shit happens, the cross, much like the guitar case in Desperado, is revealed to be a small arsenol of weapons as well as a huge as gun itself.  Perhaps you could fill in the empty space with a bunch of pistols, sawed-offs, and then try to mak it clear that the cross is a gun itself.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Personally

latincanuck wrote:

No religious symbolism for me either....phooey !    Unless I change my plans my future tat's will consist of simple black lettering that spells "FEAR" on my left shoulder, "PAIN" on my right shoulder, "MISERY" across my chest.  On my back underneath "LIFE IS A WAR" will be a large black silhouette of an assault rifle ( as a metaphor for war ).  Down my left arm "HOSTIS HUMANI GENERIS"  and down my right arm "DIES IRAE AB IRATO". 

No koi fish or dragons or even actual graphics to speak of, ( it will be quite plain actually  ) .....and admittedly not a very uplifting example of self expression but I can't please everybody.  Besides, It's more for personal catharsis than as artwork for other people to see.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

It just looks silly, angry, and regrettable. 

It's art ...not science.... and what looks silly, angry or regrettable is purely subjective.  I suppose that since his tattoo is anti-Christian that doesn't influence your opinion a wee bit ?

Yes, I know it's art.  Was that ever a question?  For that matter, how can science be silly, angry, or regrettable? 

The fact that I was making an aesthetic judgment presupposes that my opinion is subjective.  I never said that it wasn't. 

And as for my bias, sure, it always plays a part in my opinions.  No observation, statement, claim, etc. is made without bias.  However, I know a bad tattoo when I see one--regardless of my religion.  But the bottom line is, it's his body, and if he thinks the tattoo is cool then that's fine. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Get an upside down Star of

Get an upside down Star of David

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: However, I know

jmm wrote:

However, I know a bad tattoo when I see one--regardless of my religion.

Okay I accept that you know a bad tattoo when you see one, would you care to elaborate as to what exactly makes it a "bad" tattoo in your opinion ?   It's not a trick question or anything, honest.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

jmm wrote:

However, I know a bad tattoo when I see one--regardless of my religion.

Okay I accept that you know a bad tattoo when you see one, would you care to elaborate as to what exactly makes it a "bad" tattoo in your opinion ?   It's not a trick question or anything, honest.

The main thing is that it's in a really tricky spot for what it is.  Something as symmetrical and precise as a cross (inverted or otherwise) on the side is going to look warped from most angles and positions. 

Also, cross tattoos are just lame and cliche--even inverted ones. 

That's not to say that my tattoos aren't lame and cliche either. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: The main thing

jmm wrote:

The main thing is that it's in a really tricky spot for what it is.  Something as symmetrical and precise as a cross (inverted or otherwise) on the side is going to look warped from most angles and positions. 

Also, cross tattoos are just lame and cliche--even inverted ones. 

That's not to say that my tattoos aren't lame and cliche either. 

Thank you.  At last you gave a specific critique and put it in concrete terms.  That helps.   I was simply curious as to what fueled your negative impression of Godless5150's tattoo.

Do you care to reveal what your own tattoo's are ?  They couldn't be that bad, could they ?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
On the subject of tattoos I

On the subject of tattoos I feel that puting a tattoo on attractive woman is like puting dog shit on a good steak.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Yes, I realize

jmm wrote:

Yes, I realize that.  My point is, the tattoo is going to be lame no matter how he finishes it. 

Haha - wow, a nihilistic theist. I'll try to contain my surprise.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Godless5150
Godless5150's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL!! Well guys, thanks for

LOL!! Well guys, thanks for all the great ideas keep 'em coming. This cross was not an act of impulse. I talked about getting it for months! To me it represents mockery and resentment towards Christianity! CHECK THIS OUT: This guys I work with has been raised in a super religious Christian household. Church twice a week all his life, goes to a Christian school. You get the idea. He wanted to see it so I showed him. And to my surprise guess what he asked me. "WHY DID YOU GET THAT!?" I looked at him and with a smile I replied "Because I live in a society where people believe in talking snakes and magic fruit" He replied in a very serious voice "And you don't?" .....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG it made my damn day! It just showed me first hand the kind of mentality Christians have. "And you don't?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I still laugh to this day!!!!

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
you could fill it with a DNA

you could fill it with a DNA strain (sp? I am 5 guinness in and a few shots of tequila here), or the milky way if you like, I would go scientific wise, but that's me....and I am drunk tonight, could do that demon thing, but I figure people would peg u for a satanist (unless of course you are then go for it)

Godless5150
Godless5150's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice point!

I had people instantly think "evil" when I told them about getting this. But I want to keep it away from being something that's evil, and lean more towards something that makes you think.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:jmm

HisWillness wrote:

jmm wrote:

Theism is inherently nihilistic, yes. 

But we're not talking about God--we're talking about bad tattoos. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Godless5150 wrote:I had

Godless5150 wrote:

I had people instantly think "evil" when I told them about getting this. But I want to keep it away from being something that's evil, and lean more towards something that makes you think.

Perhaps you could fill the inside of the cross with an image of a broken window...something like a stained glass church window that is partially shattered ?

...or, a pattern of a brick wall that has been smashed through ?

Either of these could suggest a barrier ( religion ) that has been broken down and made worthless.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:HisWillness

jmm wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

jmm wrote:

Haha - thanks for taking my obvious being an asshole well. I appreciate it.

You think it's bad? What about the window-to-hell idea? I thought that would be fun. Of course, it's still St. Peter's cross, so maybe something involving the pope?

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay DNA!

latincanuck wrote:

you could fill it with a DNA strain (sp? I am 5 guinness in and a few shots of tequila here), or the milky way if you like, I would go scientific wise, but that's me....and I am drunk tonight, could do that demon thing, but I figure people would peg u for a satanist (unless of course you are then go for it)

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:latincanuck

TomJ wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Now just get it to fill up the inside I think that would look great and make people ponder about it, like science upheavals religion or something like that.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:jmm

HisWillness wrote:

jmm wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

jmm wrote:

Haha - thanks for taking my obvious being an asshole well. I appreciate it.

You think it's bad? What about the window-to-hell idea? I thought that would be fun. Of course, it's still St. Peter's cross, so maybe something involving the pope?

Either that or some really happy, fruity imagery for the sake of juxtaposition, like unicorns and rainbows. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How about inside the upside

How about inside the upside down cross placing an image of an angry looking Sponge Bob Square Pants holding a can of gasoline in one hand  and a Bible in the other ?  ....too cerebral ?

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or...another idea, you could

Or...another idea, you could fill it with fossils. I like the DNA idea too.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Problem with the DNA pic is

Problem with the DNA pic is that, even with the best tattoo artist doing the job (and good ones are hard to find), it's going to end up like an elongated crown of thorns logo. See the pic above in the thread if you don't believe me.

If you ever visit the Philippines (or certain parts of Miami for that matter) you then run the real risk of being hailed as a stigmatic freak wonder boy, grabbed by the locals, and paraded upside down with great reverence around the streets every easter, probably before being nailed to a plank of wood.

I recommend a skin graft. Or accepting a life of expensive liquid paper application.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Problem with

Nordmann wrote:

Problem with the DNA pic is that, even with the best tattoo artist doing the job (and good ones are hard to find), it's going to end up like an elongated crown of thorns logo. See the pic above in the thread if you don't believe me.

DNA can be represented graphically in several ways.  That graphic was from the wikipedia entry on DNA.

Here's a DNA graphic I found on a blog website:

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2008/03/20/index.html

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:Nordmann

TomJ wrote:

Nordmann wrote:

DNA can be represented graphically in several ways.  That graphic was from the wikipedia entry on DNA.

Here's a DNA graphic I found on a blog website:

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2008/03/20/index.html

Looks too much like that pic of a type of lectin molecule that eeevery once in awhile, assumes a cross-shaped conformation. Christians love parading that pic around because it shows proof of God in cellular proteins, or something silly like that.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Get an

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Get an upside down Star of David

Almost snarfed.  Well played.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Scratch the upside down

Scratch the upside down cross, get it removed, and replace it with a far side cartoon, or anything, anything other than your average generic angry young man tattoo

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Scratch the

Jello wrote:

Scratch the upside down cross, get it removed, and replace it with a far side cartoon, or anything, anything other than your average generic angry young man tattoo

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree completely. "Mom" is

I agree completely. "Mom" is always a good bet, unless you go to Mongolia, where it means rape.

That's the problem with tattoos. They were designed to capture their wearer for all time within the strict cultural parameters of a tribe. And they still do.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:  That's

Nordmann wrote:

That's the problem with tattoos. They were designed to capture their wearer for all time within the strict cultural parameters of a tribe. And they still do.

Strict cultural parameters ?    Yes, I guess if you are a member of the Yakuza.