Lack of meaning of life?

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Lack of meaning of life?

I have been thinking a bit. Would not the abscense of a meaning of life mean we are free to do whatever we want with our lives?

For example, if there was a meaning of life decided upon by some arbitrary entity (for example the Christian God) with the power to impose its will upon us. Would not that mean we were compelled to do whatever it took to fullfill that purpose, wheather we liked and agreed with it or not?

The purpose of all this existensialistic babbeling is some vauge idea about a way to refute claims like »religion is good because it gives meaning to life».

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will repeat something

I will repeat something Hamby once said that was quite profound to me at the time.

If you get up in the morning,your life has purpose.What theists are arguing is a higher purpose.

Everyone's life had purpose,no matter how small. I'd rather have the company of someone who's only meaning in life is working to pay the bills than someone who will do anything to please their god in the next life.

I'm reminded of one of the teachers at my christian school:

"I don't care if you leave this class at the end of the year not knowing how to do a sum,as long as I've given you jesus.'

Not a good purpose for a teacher is it?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Late...

Sorry I didn't get to post on this thread earlier....

I was busy with my son's grad, my adorable grand daughter's Kindergarden Grad, juggling my two jobs, making time for the goddess I sleep with, helping another son with his girlfriend problems, counciling an abused, woman friend of ours, planning a weekend away with some dear friends, visiting with some other grandkids who decided to pop in (giving me a chance to intimidate one of them's new boyfriend), get some work done on a play I'm writing (have been writing forever it seems), persuading the dog to give up HIS spot on the couch and finally making it back to the computor...

Now what was the question?

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
pettman wrote:I have been

pettman wrote:

I have been thinking a bit. Would not the abscense of a meaning of life mean we are free to do whatever we want with our lives?

No, because we can't do whatever we want with our lives. We must go to school - natural artists there must fight with maths, talented sportsmen with grammar, and so on... Then we must earn money for the most of days in year, but not enough to work less, eventually. A work, which would also entertain us, is very rare. Next, we're usually expected to get married and start a family. Our children are expected to go to school....
The great adventure of life was changed into a mere struggle for survival. Not that just God isn't happy with it (if exists) our souls are parts of God, (if they exists) and thus we are unhappy with that state of things too, less or more, sooner or later, but in this society almost always.

pettman wrote:
For example, if there was a meaning of life decided upon by some arbitrary entity (for example the Christian God) with the power to impose its will upon us. Would not that mean we were compelled to do whatever it took to fullfill that purpose, wheather we liked and agreed with it or not?

Yes, exactly, and this is why we say that school sucks, that our jobs sucks, that our respectable wives are a bit demanding, this is why we sometimes get our bones broken, or we get an incurable disease. These and more events are results of incorrect relationships with the world. It can't be exactly said, that they're directly imposed by a heavenly entity, they're  rather caused by our ignorance of inner dynamics of the world. Yeah, rain falls on the rightful and sinful equally, but most of us suffers more than necessary. I'm sure every human has a way to go with the life dynamics and reduce an unnecessary problems on minimum. You can call it "a sense of life", and it would be quite adequate therm. The sense of life is imposed on us by something greater than we are, just as a boat on sea is affected by movement of the waves.
I'm close to people performing a research of finding this sense of life, the results are good, for those who can listen, not just hear whatever they want to hear.

pettman wrote:
The purpose of all this existensialistic babbeling is some vauge idea about a way to refute claims like »religion is good because it gives meaning to life». 

Every life has a purpose, and a life as such has the purpose too. It's transcendental, it involves and exceeds us as individuals. By finding that purpose we know who we are, where we come from and where do we go. When we will finally know that, the correct relationships to other people will become widespread.
Religion, like Christianity, certainly touches that subject, but, for the God's sake, it's old, superstitious, manipulated ideology, with a sticky surface of love. The objective, scientific finding of a sense of life is, what we need today. There are able people, working methods, practically 100% succes rates, and a huge vista of possibilities for further improvement and research. It's just hidden behind a heap of ideologies, finding a correct book among similarly looking woo-woo half-truths is quite a low chance.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
What does a stone falling

What does a stone falling mean? It shows a property we call gravity. It means nothing.

A two headed calf is born. What does it mean? That there was a defect in the reproduction process which is random and has no meaning.

What does Bush mean when he says Iran has a nuclear weapons program? There are a lot of answers but all of them are quite human.

What does life mean? That a certain class of chemical processes are self-sustaining. But what does that mean? Why does one try to find a human meaning in things which are not human?

In the general sense the question of meaning to life is an attempt to anthropomorphize reality, to make the world human.

Although the Greek-like pantheons likely started as humans elevating themselves to god-kings it did serve to almost humanize the world. Unfortunately it was such an incomplete explanation that the gods had to be declared arbitrary and capricious and vain and cruel to humanize their actions.

The jewish god is simply one of the members of a Greek-like pantheon. Such pantheons existed from Persia to Rome to Egypt. The christian god is a vague amalgam of several deities, the product of a committee, a god for all seasons. But the first unambiguous statement of monotheism does not appear until Islam but it was quickly adopted by Christians and later by Jews.

This mono god was originally the christian "true" god but the meaning of true god and false god was as in true and false love or true and false patriotism not real and unreal. This god gave meaning to life as a testing ground for the afterlife. Rather than have the arbitrary and capricious characteristics of the previous pantheon he was always "testing" people. There was always a method to its meanness and sadism and downright savagery.

And THAT is the key to your question. Atheism did not take away the meaning of life. It did get rid of the sadistic meaning of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim god. You can go back to that meaning any time you want but you will have to make all kinds of excuses for that god's behavior and treatment of you. You can go back to a life that has meaning but you have to accept that meaning is ad hoc, irrational, inconsistent, arbitrary and incomprehensible. If you of a theological bent you can go back to a world which has a meaning but a meaning which cannot be known.

Occam says an unknowable meaning for life is an unnecessary hypothesis in place of no meaning at all.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
For New Atheists: Is This

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:What does

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
What does a stone falling mean? It shows a property we call gravity. It means nothing.

A two headed calf is born. What does it mean? That there was a defect in the reproduction process which is random and has no meaning.

What does Bush mean when he says Iran has a nuclear weapons program? There are a lot of answers but all of them are quite human.

What does life mean? That a certain class of chemical processes are self-sustaining. But what does that mean? Why does one try to find a human meaning in things which are not human?

In the general sense the question of meaning to life is an attempt to anthropomorphize reality, to make the world human.

What? No way. This isn't antropomorphism, but a disbelief in coincidence. A coincidence is always in harmony with inner dynamics of the world. Things behaves according to the laws of universe, like a law of energy preservation and a law of resonance. Now, there are influences most of people has no idea about, which sounds very uhm...strangely, but even such an exotic notions always behaves according to the laws of universe. The more we know about universe and it's laws, the less of coincidences we see.

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
And THAT is the key to your question. Atheism did not take away the meaning of life. It did get rid of the sadistic meaning of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim god. You can go back to that meaning any time you want but you will have to make all kinds of excuses for that god's behavior and treatment of you. You can go back to a life that has meaning but you have to accept that meaning is ad hoc, irrational, inconsistent, arbitrary and incomprehensible. If you of a theological bent you can go back to a world which has a meaning but a meaning which cannot be known.

Christianity preferred to satisfy ourselves with a primitive nonsenses about the nature of the world, and forbids it's believers to search and find more.
Atheism rejects these nonsenses, which is surely an improvement, but we're again not quite encouraged to search more of the inner world dynamics - it's stated, that such a higher order doesn't exist. I have seen many times an utter ignorance, or probably a refusal to understand, among academics and scientists. They're very intelligent, they understood the most diffcult areas of science which complexity laics can't even imagine. But when it comes to understanding the higher order of the world, common people around them understands, while they can't comprehend or accept the most basic concepts. This is obvious from my experiences, from experiences of many people known to my family (we're quite publically active) and also whenever a person like a good astrologer is invited to TV and faces so-called "rational sceptics". They're rational only when it fits them.
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
Occam says an unknowable meaning for life is an unnecessary hypothesis in place of no meaning at all.
Logics is not intrinsically intelligent. When you take as an initial statement, that the meaning of life is unknowable, then yeah, of course, you get a logical assumption, that searching for it is a nonsense.
Life doesn't come with a handbook, just as Newton's apple didn't have Newton's laws written on it. So, let's find a meaning in such a seemingly random event, like life is. Newton did it with fallen apple, we should do it with life. It's not unknowable, it's just hidden, ready to be discovered. This requires all intuition, knowledge and serious, scientific approach. Thinking, that if life would have a meaning, we should scientifically discover it by now, is a nonsense. The same thing should claim court alchemists in 16th century about splitting an atom.
We are logical, despite of intelligence.
We should rather be intelligent, despite of logics.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Wise men debating what other

Wise men debating what other wise men consider silly questions .... as there is no why (meaning). Was "WHY" the beginning ?  But what beginning ?

Ever read the first verse of the Tao ? 

I take life seriously , but I never ask why ..... Why should I ?     , igod , all is ONE. 

ummm , better questions , "What is the ONE" ?      ((( we for sure )))

"HOW" do WE, IT, GOD, WORK ?  

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yoiu decide!

Christian and Theist doctrine is that your life has no purpose. Man's only purpose is to serve the purposes of an invisible god. So, if their life has any meaning at all, it's to be the slave of an all powerful imaginary entity.

In Atheist/freethinking, the purpose of life is what you decide it is at every moment. If you choose to decide that life has no meaning, that is YOUR choice. If you choose not to assign a purpose or meaning to life, you still have made a choice. So you're the decider not a religious leader or invisible god.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Not all questions have any

Not all questions have any meaning even if the words can grammatically be put together.

Asking what the meaning of life is a bit like asking 'What is the colour of a fart' . The grammar is correct but the question does not deserve an answer.

There are plenty of reasons why people enjoy being alive but no one single answer, football,sex, debating on this forum even praying but  the 'what is the meaning of life' really deserves one answer 42

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Not all

mrjonno wrote:

Not all questions have any meaning even if the words can grammatically be put together.

Asking what the meaning of life is a bit like asking 'What is the colour of a fart' . The grammar is correct but the question does not deserve an answer.

How do you came to this opinion?
My experiences says something different, that life has a very specific purpose for a function of the universe. Almost everything we live in, can be put to words, just  sometimes with a help of intuition.
It seems you underestimate the human potential, we have a potential to understand it all, even in scientific therms, (when a science will be renewed) and a lot of it is today within our reach. It's not easy, but definitely achievable. We will discover really inexpressible things much later in our history, until then, such an attitude serves just to make us feel good about our ignorance.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
On life

I rather like John Lennons' quote on this subject;   "Life is what happens while your busy doing other things."

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:My experiences

Luminon wrote:

My experiences says something different, that life has a very specific purpose for a function of the universe. Almost everything we live in, can be put to words, just  sometimes with a help of intuition.
It seems you underestimate the human potential, we have a potential to understand it all, even in scientific therms, (when a science will be renewed) and a lot of it is today within our reach. It's not easy, but definitely achievable. We will discover really inexpressible things much later in our history, until then, such an attitude serves just to make us feel good about our ignorance.

What evidence is there to suggest the universe has any purpose never mind life in it. I don't think the 'meaning of life' is a question beyond our knowledge I think its a question that just doesnt make any sense. You might as well ask why do unicorns have a single horn, why does a dragon breathe fire or less fantasy based why can't you smell the colour red?.

The entire planet could be wiped out of existance by a meteorite tomorrow wiping out 20 000 years ? of human civilization and 4 billion years of life. Would it matter to the life on the planet definitely , but to the universe as whole absolutely not we simply are not important on a universal scale. Just human arrogance to assume otherwise

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:What evidence

mrjonno wrote:

What evidence is there to suggest the universe has any purpose never mind life in it. I don't think the 'meaning of life' is a question beyond our knowledge I think its a question that just doesnt make any sense. You might as well ask why do unicorns have a single horn, why does a dragon breathe fire or less fantasy based why can't you smell the colour red?.

If you want evidence, it's quite diffcult. The evidence is not yet widespread, only among individuals and groups in the world. A sufficient evidence can be only provided by a long-termed scientific acceptance of the principles I'll speak about. Time is a bit early for that, wait for, let's say, 30 years, assuming you would do nothing to see for yourself, and wait till it will be popularized in a TV programs of science for children.
If you know nothing, and you think only with what you know, of course the meaning of life doesn't give a sense. But I and people like me in this country, and in this world, were presented with an extensive evidence for the sense of life. The life doesn't exist just as a DNA-based material form, but also in non-material form. Some sources calls it "light", but this is one of not yet discovered or scientifically defined areas of knowledge, a fascinating vista of possibilities, which will shake our view of the world. Well, more yours and theirs, than mine. Did you know, that DNA emits light? (so I had read) Material form and "light" are mutually interchangeable. Material universe is a harsh place, and life there is rare, but in a non-material form, it's full of life.
The non-material part of the universe is so big, that the material one is just a surfacial illusion on it. If you want to find any sense of the universe, you must search in it's non-material part. This needs to develop and popularize means of a scientific work with etheric material level, and then more and more subtle non-material levels.
So, to return to the topic, there are various levels of livingness, as there are various levels of knowledge. Everything living has a potential to evolve it's consciousness, and everything evolving will eventually become a human form, or exactly, an equivalent to a human degree of development. Human form of consciousness development is approximately in the middle of all the consciousness evolution. It's the turning point, where a spirit descended low into matter by a process called involution, and starts to evolve back to it's source, but enriched with countless experiences by the way. It's so-called "fall from grace", just it's not a shame, but a planned involution, and then evolution of spirit, of consciousness, starting to reflect the Source again.
These are only approximate basics, and partially described in rather a metaphorical way, so it can be read more easily.
There are many things which I don't yet understand, but the basics are well set and an evidence for it goes under my hands every day.

mrjonno wrote:
The entire planet could be wiped out of existance by a meteorite tomorrow wiping out 20 000 years ? of human civilization and 4 billion years of life. Would it matter to the life on the planet definitely , but to the universe as whole absolutely not we simply are not important on a universal scale. Just human arrogance to assume otherwise
Most probably not. The planet has it's consciousness as well, and in the interest of this consciousness is that things goes well as long as needed. If someone would try to blow up the whole planet, there would be drawn the line against a human free will. Otherwise yeah, we're free to wipe out ourselves, animals, and plants, but I doubt anybody really wants it, except of a few insane individuals, who has no right to act for the whole humanity.

Yeah, we're not much evolved, and we've lost our awareness so we're quite a barbarians, but our destiny is bound to the non-material majority of existence. We are not forgotten, never were and never will be. Humanity is really tiny part of the universe, no problem with that. But we have nowhere to get lost, the universe has no deficiency, and every atom has it's purpose.

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Argument from emotion

pettman wrote:

Even if you could only get meaning for life if there existed a god, that would not be evidence for the existance of a god. They are using an argument from emotion - a logical falacy. Wanting something to be true because it makes you feel better does not make it true. They're just trying to distract you from the real argument at hand - the validity of their religious claims (existance of god, virgin birth, whatever).

Jello
User is offlineOffline
I think someone's been

I think someone's been drinking from the fountain of woo

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Did you know, that DNA

Quote:

Did you know, that DNA emits light?

Most things you have said are incoherent and thus it is not possible to act on them in a meaningful manner. However, this is both coherent and entirely false. The interaction of photons with fermionic matter boils down to two phenomenon: Emission and absorption. In principle, any fermionic matter will release photons when excited enough. By "excited" I am referring to the energy levels of electrons, which, under the Bohr atom model, jump energy levels given a sufficient increase in temperature. This is normally expressed as the following equation, crucial to the entire discipline of quantum mechanics and physical chemistry:

E=hc/lambda

E being the energy released in SI units, h being Planck's constant in SI units, c being the speed of light in SI units, and lambda being the wavelength, again, in SI units.

So, no, DNA does not emit light. Fermionic matter undergoing excitation will release photons due to the jump of electrons from energy levels and their resulting relaxation. For example, an unexcited piece of copper will not emit light unless inserted into a flame, at which point it will emit photons of a pleasant green color (or blue. As a transition metal, it will have different emission spectra for different oxidation states). This is called a flame test. Very common for quick element Identification, a crude form of spectroscopy.

So, to round this off, here's a nice picture to demonstrate.

The deep red indicates lithium.

And to preemptively answer the question: No. DNA does not do this. I would know. I look at it all the time.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:I think

Jello wrote:

All I can get away with .... at a 186,000 miles per second, give me a break, I AM only light .....

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found my purpose!

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Jello wrote:

All I can get away with .... at a 186,000 miles per second, give me a break, I AM only light .....

This is the meaning of life.

It's absurd, intelligent, and very, very funny. Just like life.

To me, it seems the meaning of life should be just about the only thing on which theists and atheists agree. To an outside observer (I have never believed in God, but I know many who do), it seems that if there is a God, He would want but one thing for His children: for them to be joyous and happy.

The whole "worship" thing never made sense. What kind of people do we most admire? Those of great skill, and are still very humble. Boastful people, and people who demand our attention for their own sense of self-worth, are generally considered... well, assholes. So why should our God be any different? In my estimation, any God worth His salt wouldn't want to be worshipped. He might want some gratitude, but that's hardly worship.

Rather, it seems He'd want us to be happy, and boisterous, and filled with joy and fun. I doubt He would want to be surrounded by parsimonious sycophants, which is what it seems the Christians think of their God.

As someone who doesn't believe in God, I realize that we have only this one life. As such, I want to get as much as I can out of it. I want to have fun, and feel joy, and have good conversations with interesting people (which is why I'm here at RRS). As my joy and happiness depends on the goodwill of other people, often complete strangers who will never know me, I try to practice goodwill to make others' lives better in return. This just makes sense to me, out of fairness -- but it also makes sense that if their life is better, mine will also be better in return. ("A rising tide raises all ships," and whatnot.)

Anyway, that's the way I see it. I think that the "purpose of life" issue should be moot, just from the nature of life, and the imagined nature of a "supreme being," in whose image we are shaped (in the Christian belief, anyway).

But really, as others have said, it's up to you to find your own purpose. Really, what I've defined as a "purpose" is really just a goal -- to be happy. I treat that as my purpose, and most things I do are in service to that end, but truthfully, it's not much of a purpose. It's just the only universal thing I can think of that makes sense.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The boisterous joyous happy

The boisterous joyous happy band, "Nigel The Bold", will be jamming here tonight! 

"Fun is our Creed"

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Busy schedule

WOW!!  I got exhausted just reading that.  Never mind trying to keep up.  Your wife must be very patient.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Me ? I am a family man,

Me ?  I am a family man, which excludes me from being a potential "husband" !     Maybe someday ???   ME: a slave to affection, the sound of music, and simple pleasures. Many call me an ultra liberal, non conformist. I however didn't design myself in anyway.... just going with the flow, a "free spirit" some might say ????

Boon Docks,  I like your "playfulness" , you make me smile ..... have some extra fun, and tease all the boys, and help your sisters get free ..... go girl power, it's like magic, and every girl has it !   

Quite "meaningful" to me ....

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
pettman wrote:I have been

pettman wrote:

Life cannot really have an absence of meaning. Nothing can, if meaning itself means explanation. It can be a difficult explanation, or a disappointingly banal one, but it cannot absent itself. Also I note that you use "life" to mean that of the individual and not the concept in general as it applies to plants etc. Religious people tend to do this too, since even they throw in the towel when it comes to brainwashing lupins, so I'll limit my answer to the same definition if that's ok.

In your example you substitute meaning for purpose, since religion has patently failed ever to explain life but has made repeated stabs at providing its subscribers with a purpose (normally to perpetuate the religion). Since we are talking therefore about the difference between objective explanation and totally subjective purpose then the answer to your question is that subscribers to subjectively imposed values are capable of just about anything except reasoning unpolluted by lies.

Your last statement is that you are seeking a way to refute the assertion "religion is good because it gives meaning to life". The assertion is false and the only refutation required is to phrase it correctly "religion is bad because it provides subjectively defined purpose to an individual's life". It is, in rational terms and in terms of applying rationale, an obstacle to progress. As long as we all accept that "progress" is in itself a positive concept, then religion inhibits this progress at best and reverses it at worst. It is anti-life.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Ender
User is offlineOffline
McMee Meal

I've never understood what was so hot about some exterior purpose.

I mean, what if we were seeded by aliens, who are coming back when we've all eaten enough McDonald's to use us as burger meat.

Ostensibly our purpose would be to become fast food, as set forth by our creators.

Don't know about you, but I wouldn't be lining up to get burgerized because it was my Purpose.

Meaning is something we have to make for our selves. Waiting for something else to give it to us just wastes the time we could be living lives of real self activated purpose.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ender wrote:I've never

Ender wrote:

I've never understood...

Your forum name wouldn't be inspired by a book written by Orson Scott Card would it?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Condawg
User is offlineOffline
How I see it is that

How I see it is that everyone's life has a meaning. We all live for a reason, and we retain that life for that reason. If you have no friends, no family, nobody counting on you, no job, etc... You still have a meaning in life. There's still something that your existence effects that wouldn't be the same without you.

It's just when religion comes into thsi meaning ofl ife that it becomes... weird. Religion forces you to live your life for somebody else, that you will never meet. To go to his home once a week, confess your wrongdoings, and listen to a man preach about him for a while.

Without religion, you live life for yourself. So really, there's more meaning to it. You depend on yourself, and others depend on you, and you know all of what you need to do instead of having your head filled with contradictory statements that just confuse you.

So, in short, you do have a meaning for your life, but without religion, that meaning is for youself, not a god.