The absurdity of the idea of the soul

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The absurdity of the idea of the soul

I still wonder why theists continue to buy into the ridiculous idea of the soul. I consider "the soul" a primitive explanation of consciousness that by all rights should have died out in the industrialized world by the mid 19th century. We KNOW that there is no way for there to be consciousness without a functioning brain. It makes as much sense as talking about digestion without a stomach or intestines. Without the idea of a soul religion probably would die out. It's just another example of otherwise intelligent people buying into something absurd.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Like to add one of the best

Like to add one of the best things I ever heard about this was that talking about consciousness without a brain is like talking about digestion without a stomach or intestines.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pettman
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I still

MattShizzle wrote:
I still wonder why theists continue to buy into the ridiculous idea of the soul. I consider "the soul" a primitive explanation of consciousness that by all rights should have died out in the industrialized world by the mid 19th century. We

KNOW

that there is no way for there to be consciousness without a functioning brain. It makes as much sense as talking about digestion without a stomach or intestines. Without the idea of a soul religion probably would die out. It's just another example of otherwise intelligent people buying into something absurd.

It probably stems from lack of understanding of how the human neurosystem works and a human desire to be special. The neurosystem is basically just a bunch of neurons passing on impulses to other neurons regulated by a set of rules dictated by the laws of nature. The major difference between a neurosystem and an circuit in a computer is the behaviours of the components used.

To me a soul is about as impossible as a piece of software floating about on its own accord without any media to store it.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
I think It's a misfiring of

I think It's a misfiring of the instinctive fear of death everyone has. So even though it's absurd, when thought about logically, it's still understandable... sort of. There's probably more to it (the belief in souls) than that, but hey. Aaaand then again I might be wrong, it won't be the first/last time.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weird dichotomy.

We humans are odd creatures, on one hand we have an absurdly high instinct for survival, on the other, we are probably the only animal that can draw an abstract concept of our own death. We WANT to live, We KNOW we are gonna die.

I think the concept of the soul is a coping mechanism for this ugly little tug of war between certain knowledge and desire.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
The soul is not such a dumb

The soul is not such a dumb idea BUT ...

You have to read up on the original conception by the Greeks. They held there were four factors which made up a person, body, mind, soul and spirit.

OK, it was a dumb idea but a lot smarter than the gross simplification the Christians imposed on Greek thought. But it was simple enough for the Jews and the Muslims to adopt in toto. Hell it even gave Jews a life after death and a reward some place other than this earth for following their ritual/taboo, genital mutilating, primitive excuse for a religion. You would think they would show some appreciation.

Speaking of Greek ideas, because of Christianity we lost our spirits and are stuck with only body, mind and soul.

I am not for running down our ancestors who were trying to add something. It was only with high velocity small bullets and brain injuries that it was conclusive the brain is running the show. It was only then that people starting surviving in sufficient numbers that the damaged areas could be connected with specific disabilities. Before that a big lead ball mushed everything and a sword or ax did not have many survivors.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:We KNOW

MattShizzle wrote:
We KNOW that there is no way for there to be consciousness without a functioning brain.

How do we know that exactly?

MattShizzle wrote:
Without the idea of a soul religion probably would die out.

Well, religion (edit: HUMAN religion) will die out with or without the idea of a soul.  But, I wouldn't say that for a religion to last for a few millennia, it needs to include the idea of a soul.

MattShizzle wrote:
It's just another example of otherwise intelligent people buying into something absurd.

I imagine that some Christians would say the same thing about people who believe that their god doesn't exist.  You'll have to forgive me if I'm not convinced by this argument.

pettman wrote:
It probably stems from lack of understanding of how the human neurosystem works and a human desire to be special.

Well, we don't know how the human neurosystem works, at least, not entirely... and I would agree with you that when we learn more there might be more of a consensus on whether or not things like souls might be a part of life... but it's worth pointing out that not everyone who thinks that souls are real considers them to be a uniquely human feature.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Lets flip that around a little...

The classic christian teaching is that we will physically die and our soul will go to be with the lord. (But we will not be reunited with our new bodies until jesus comes again and there is the final judgment.) So we will have consciousness but no brain! So what good is the brain for anyway?!?!? (at least mine?)

It sounds crazy but I can picture us having conciousness but no storage or memories after death.  There was a story a while back of a guy who was born without a brain but got a phd in math from harvard. In reality, he just had a very small cerebellum by defect but compensated as the brain does. It was mostly fluid. But he did actually have a brain.

But apparently we will get new bodies eventually which must be necessary so that includes the brain too...

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
JustAnotherBeliever

JustAnotherBeliever wrote:
The classic christian teaching is that we will physically die and our soul will go to be with the lord. (But we will not be reunited with our new bodies until jesus comes again and there is the final judgment.) So we will have consciousness but no brain! So what good is the brain for anyway?!?!? (at least mine?)

I hope that doesn't mean that you're getting your answers from a self-contradicting, nonsensical belief system like Christianity?

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
yes and no

There are some "answers" and there are a lot of imponderables in christianity. Luckily the mind was designed to be able to function with compartmented contradictory beliefs (and I dont mean to start a design argument)

We all have them. We're all working through our irrational beliefs. There are many paradoxes in christianity. A paradox is true even though it "appears" contradictory and impossible. The goal is to better understand what is paradoxical and what is plain not true...or antinomy...its difficult to do

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
JustAnotherBeliever

There are some "answers" and there are a lot of imponderables in christianity. Luckily the mind was designed to be able to function with compartmented contradictory beliefs (and I dont mean to start a design argument)

We all have them. We're all working through our irrational beliefs. There are many paradoxes in christianity. A paradox is true even though it "appears" contradictory and impossible. The goal is to better understand what is paradoxical and what is plain not true...or antinomy...its difficult to do

Just curious (a bit off topic) you say the mind was designed....by whom?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
boy that does sound

like a simple question that I should be able to answer....but it doesnt seem so simple...

well, its clear the brain evolved so that implies natural selection. In the other thread I was wondering if when hominids became human something "extra" was imparted to the mind...now I mean soul/spirit part of the mind....but I'm not sure I can even get a handle on when hominids became human technically...Maybe thats not a question that is answerable. So the brain was designed by natural forces...but if there is a soul/mind/spirit (somewhat overlapping definitions) or mind that it separate from the brain, then the "spirit" part would be a link to God.

There are 3 words for spirit in the old testament: nephesh (some animals have this type of soul -- they are soulish like cats and dogs), neshama (man has this type of soul too - a conscience ) and rouach (this may be the spirit imparted when born again possibly...)

So the mind (to me) is made up of the heart (desires), soul, spirit, and brain...and they overlap in ways that are hard to explain or understand.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just checking....

There was a story a while back of a guy who was born without a brain but got a phd in math from harvard. In reality, he just had a very small cerebellum by defect but compensated as the brain does. It was mostly fluid. But he did actually have a brain.

I REALLY need to see a citation on this one...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I'll try to find it

It was in the 60's I think. I actually did see the paper once. My professor dug it out of his stack, and it was pretty yellow. It might have been in some journal like "brain topography". That was one he used to get. Its hard to find articles that old without subscribing to the journal itself, which I don't.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The National Enquirer does

The National Enquirer does tend to go yellow very quickly, doesn't it. But you don't have to subscribe to it, as far as I know.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher

Louis_Cypher wrote:

There was a story a while back of a guy who was born without a brain but got a phd in math from harvard. In reality, he just had a very small cerebellum by defect but compensated as the brain does. It was mostly fluid. But he did actually have a brain.

I REALLY need to see a citation on this one...

LC >;-}>

I have heard that one too always assumed it was an urban myth through, cant be arsed to google it at the moment

K9sByte
User is offlineOffline
It's silly, but it stuck...

I think one of the major reasons that they have clung to this idea is that it is a comforting thought (to them), that maybe when you die there is something else.  Also, the concept of a "soul" is all over TV, movies, video games, etc.  I don't think we can get away from it very quickly; it is still too widely accepted.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It was in the 60's I

Quote:
It was in the 60's I think. I actually did see the paper once. My professor dug it out of his stack, and it was pretty yellow. It might have been in some journal like "brain topography". That was one he used to get. Its hard to find articles that old without subscribing to the journal itself, which I don't.

Umm... I have access to journals, and I looked.  Nothing in the 60s about a man with no brain and a PhD showed up.  I asked a friend of mine in the neurology department, and his reaction was, "Um... seriously?  You know that if that had happened, it wouldn't be one obscure case in the 60s.  That would have been front page news all over the world, and there would be entire branches of science devoted to figuring out how that could happen."

And for the record, if he did have a cerebellum, that would be what we call... a brain... right?  So that kind of puts a damper on your assertion that someone had consciousness without a brain.  So why are we talking about it?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
justanotherbeliever, this

justanotherbeliever, this section of the forums is for non-theists.  Don't post in here again please.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good catch, watcher.  Damn,

Good catch, watcher.  Damn, I'm bad about looking at what forum things are posted in.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a saying...

MattShizzle wrote:

Like to add one of the best things I ever heard about this was that talking about consciousness without a brain is like talking about digestion without a stomach or intestines.

Dont know if you heard it before but thinking about consciousness without a brain is like talking about digestion without a stomach or intestines.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

angelwire
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Speaking

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
Speaking of Greek ideas, because of Christianity we lost our spirits and are stuck with only body, mind and soul.

Yeah they robbed our Spirit but we can get it back if we repent and obey (i.e. the holy spirit)

Jello
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote:MattShizzle

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Dont know if you heard it before but thinking about consciousness without a brain is like talking about digestion without a stomach or intestines.

refer to the second post of this thread Sticking out tongue

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
pettman wrote:It probably

pettman wrote:
It probably stems from lack of understanding of how the human neurosystem works and a human desire to be special. The neurosystem is basically just a bunch of neurons passing on impulses to other neurons regulated by a set of rules dictated by the laws of nature. The major difference between a neurosystem and an circuit in a computer is the behaviours of the components used.

To me a soul is about as impossible as a piece of software floating about on its own accord without any media to store it.

I don't really feel like retyping old posts, so here you go... don't worry, it's a short thread: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/10469

Gamage90
Gamage90's picture
User is offlineOffline
The soul is an unusual

The soul is an unusual concept in that if souls were to exist what would be the use of having a body? The body would be irrelevant and our time on earth would be unnessecary, why not live in a world of the souls? I think that because theists see that humans dont live on and cant handle the concept of death they use the soul as reassurance, when really the body is all there is.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gamage90 wrote:The soul is

Gamage90 wrote:

The soul is an unusual concept in that if souls were to exist what would be the use of having a body? The body would be irrelevant and our time on earth would be unnessecary, why not live in a world of the souls? I think that because theists see that humans dont live on and cant handle the concept of death they use the soul as reassurance, when really the body is all there is.

Interesting. Hadn't really thought of that. We know that in christianity the soul is the means by which we commune with god, and it lives on after our earthly bodies die. I suppose there could just be a world of souls and skip the mortal stage, but souls are eternal and out time on earth is basically to determine if our souls are going to heaven or hell right..

You might as well ask why god even bothered creating us.He knows who will be naughty or nice, might as well send us to heaven or hell before we're born. You won't get a straight answer from theists though.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gamage90 wrote:The soul is

Gamage90 wrote:

The soul is an unusual concept in that if souls were to exist what would be the use of having a body? The body would be irrelevant and our time on earth would be unnessecary, why not live in a world of the souls?

That's obvious.  Bodies are physical and have interactions with other physical objects and entities in ways that might be more difficult for souls.  Souls wouldn't have physical eyes, ears, etc., so there's no reason to expect them to perceive things in the same way that bodies do (especially when you keep in mind that different species are equipped with different sense organs).  Incarnating in different types of bodies would give them different experiences... and would expose them to different perspectives on reality.  Also, in order for souls to exist and incarnate into bodies, they would have to have some interaction with physical things already, so it might be beneficial in some way for them to build physical constructs of one form or another, which would presumably be easier to do through the use of bodies.

Gamage90
Gamage90's picture
User is offlineOffline
QuasarX I understand what

QuasarX I understand what your saying. I suppose im saying whats the point of the mortal physical world if heaven and hell were to exist? Our souls would go and live in eternal bliss, but not our bodies if religion is to be believed, so why couldn't have God just created a world for souls to spend their lives without bodies before the so called judgement?

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know those idiots. They

I know those idiots. They should know that the finite amount of possible chemical combinations and reactions in the brain could produce an infinite amount of thoughts, reactions, emotions, because thats how magic works. 

Yep. Logic is a bitch huh?

We must learn to control our thoughts, or we will remain slaves to our feelings.
-SR

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually magic is saying an

Actually magic is saying an invisible man who lives in the sky* Just created the entire universe out of thin air - but somehow needed dirt to create man (Did he run out of the original nothing he created the Universe from?) And he somehow took 6 days to do it and was so tired he had to rest a day afterward. Yet he's all powerful. That's not very logical.

* Thanks to the recently departed Goerge Carlin

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thats magic to, but you

Thats magic to, but you have to admit, its a pretty big jump to say that the brain is responsible for all thought. I mean come on...

We must learn to control our thoughts, or we will remain slaves to our feelings.
-SR

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually all the evidence

Actually all the evidence says that the brain is responsible for all thought. By the way if you are not an atheist you aren't supposed to post in this section.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gamage90 wrote:QuasarX I

Gamage90 wrote:

QuasarX I understand what your saying. I suppose im saying whats the point of the mortal physical world if heaven and hell were to exist? Our souls would go and live in eternal bliss, but not our bodies if religion is to be believed, so why couldn't have God just created a world for souls to spend their lives without bodies before the so called judgement?

Well, the Christian idea of souls is pretty ridiculous.  You'll get no argument about that from me.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
the Godfather of Soul

Let's face it...James Brown Had Soul

Jello
User is offlineOffline
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH wrote:

Thats magic to, but you have to admit, its a pretty big jump to say that the brain is responsible for all thought. I mean come on...

It's not a very big jump, it's very small jump. A step, even. No, a wee shuffle forward.

Compared to the jump required to believe with absolute certainty that our thoughts and very identity exist as some vague "energy" or  immaterial substance (oxymoron), that we can't test, analyse or study in any way, (yet we know it exists).... and is immortal. Just to make it that eensy weensy bit less likely.

Sure, it's ...... possible. But come on. Seriously. No, seriously, come on. Geeez. What's up with that shit. Seriously, come on. I mean etc etc.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The brain is responsible for

The brain is responsible for all thought.

Except of course in the case of those who think through their butt.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is marginally off

This is marginally off topic, but a question occurred to me recently... if the brain is responsible for all thought, then shouldn't it be possible to kind of "jump start" a brain through surgically injecting electrical stimuli or chemical neurotransmitters into a patient on life support with no brain activity?  I mean, the body is being kept alive, so the cells should still be functional, right?  I generally don't pay much attention to medical research, but does anyone know if something like this has been tried or of any reason why something like this couldn't work?

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello

Jello wrote:

It's not a very big jump, it's very small jump. A step, even. No, a wee shuffle forward.

Compared to the jump required to believe with absolute certainty that our thoughts and very identity exist as some vague "energy" or  immaterial substance (oxymoron), that we can't test, analyse or study in any way, (yet we know it exists).... and is immortal. Just to make it that eensy weensy bit less likely.

Sure, it's ...... possible. But come on. Seriously. No, seriously, come on. Geeez. What's up with that shit. Seriously, come on. I mean etc etc.

Without lending any credibility to IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH's line of reasoning or style of argumentation, I would like to interject that a serious consideration of the idea of a soul wouldn't suggest that it would consist of "nothing".  Anything that exists must consist of something; even energy and forces most consist of something in order to exert influence on matter or otherwise follow natural laws.  The term "immaterial" could sometimes be used to describe that which exists but is not matter, e.g. energy and forces, but "insubstantial" would refer to not consisting of anything at all, therefore by those definitions "immaterial substance" would not be an oxymoron but "insubstantial substance" would.  Also, anything that we have the potential to learn about would logically have to be able to be tested, analyzed, and studied, although we wouldn't necessarily have to have that ability at any given point in time.  For example, quantum mechanics can be studied, but would we have been in a position to do so 2000 years ago?

Jello
User is offlineOffline
QuasarX wrote:Jello

QuasarX wrote:

Jello wrote:

Without lending any credibility to IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH's line of reasoning or style of argumentation, I would like to interject that a serious consideration of the idea of a soul wouldn't suggest that it would consist of "nothing".  Anything that exists must consist of something; even energy and forces most consist of something in order to exert influence on matter or otherwise follow natural laws.  The term "immaterial" could sometimes be used to describe that which exists but is not matter, e.g. energy and forces, but "insubstantial" would refer to not consisting of anything at all, therefore by those definitions "immaterial substance" would not be an oxymoron but "insubstantial substance" would.  Also, anything that we have the potential to learn about would logically have to be able to be tested, analyzed, and studied, although we wouldn't necessarily have to have that ability at any given point in time.  For example, quantum mechanics can be studied, but would we have been in a position to do so 2000 years ago?

That's why I said "vague energy or immaterial blah blah", because I've heard both definitions, plus more, including different plains of existence and etc. My basic point being, there's this concept, or hypothesis,  that requires the existence of a soul, and there is no way to even define what this "soul" is. And yet people believe with absolute certainty that it exists, even though evidence garnered from the fields of neuroscience and such, removes the need for the soul. Aaaaand etc. 

As for quantum mechanics, it's not comparable to the belief in the soul. That's the same argument Woo Warriors like to use to justify belief in all sorts of crap. I know there are a few crap obsessed atheists here. I know who you are!! You don't scare me!!

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:there is no way

Jello wrote:

there is no way to even define what this "soul" is.

How did you determine that, exactly?

Jello wrote:

And yet people believe with absolute certainty that it exists, even though evidence garnered from the fields of neuroscience and such, removes the need for the soul. Aaaaand etc.

Even without the discoveries of neuroscience, I wouldn't consider believing in souls based on a "need" for them or a gap in understanding for which they would be used to explain, to be a valid reason.  Also, I consider believing just about anything with "absolute certainty" to be inadvisable.  That said, your point is well taken that there are a lot of people with unjustified belief in souls and other such hypothetical phenomena, and I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone who hears such testimony should believe those kinds of claims without first finding some good evidence to support them, but just because people have bad reasons for believing something doesn't necessarily mean that the conclusion they arrive at is wrong... and to assume that it does would be an ad hominem fallacy.

Jello wrote:

As for quantum mechanics, it's not comparable to the belief in the soul. That's the same argument Woo Warriors like to use to justify belief in all sorts of crap.

Well, there are differences, certainly, but also similarities.  For the purposes of my example, I was only trying to illustrate that something could exist and be inherently studiable, but require more advanced technology or understanding than is available to us at a given point in history (or today) to be able to actually do such studying.

Also, the fact that we may not currently be in a position to study a given phenomena is no reason to justify a belief in such a phenomena... in fact, I would argue that it's actually a reason to justify not believing in a phenomena.  However, I also don't consider it to be justification to believe that a phenomena doesn't exist.  Going back to the quantum mechanics example, imagine that we're intellectuals living 2000 years ago... somehow one of us thinks of the idea that matter, energy, and gravity are all just variations on the same fundamental materials, but we have no idea how to go about investigating that idea.  Would we be justified in believing it was true?  No.  Would we be justified in believing it was false?  No.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, there are

Quote:

Well, there are differences, certainly, but also similarities.  For the purposes of my example, I was only trying to illustrate that something could exist and be inherently studiable, but require more advanced technology or understanding than is available to us at a given point in history (or today) to be able to actually do such studying.

Then you've picked a bad example, or don't have a clue what you're talking about. Quantum mechanics deals with concepts that are not only eminently studiable but also demonstrable, and - wait for it - proveable. They're just not observable in the main. The "soul" is none of these things - heck, no two religionists can even be sure they're talking about the same thing when they use the term. It's an outdated concept which originated in an age when knowledge of biology allowed for a distinction between sentient beings and "lower" life forms but hadn't a notion of why or how the distinction arose. At that time they could be forgiven for thinking in their ignorance that divine breath blew us up into people and conscience resided within us somewhere around the heart area. Nowadays it's an affront to intelligence to harp on about it.

Thought is a function of one organ, the brain. When it ceases to function completely so does the life form dependent on it. End of story. No amount of crapology - even crapology which borrows terms and concepts from quantum mechanics to pretend to mean more than it can (zilch) - will demonstrate anything otherwise. If you choose not to accept this fact then you have strayed into the area of wishful thinking where the untold hordes of delusionists are waiting to provide you with reassurance you are right based, like everything else they go on about, on just the same wishful thinking as yours but dressed up in dogma and creed to make it look authorative. It's not. It's bullshit.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Then you've

Nordmann wrote:

Then you've picked a bad example, or don't have a clue what you're talking about. Quantum mechanics deals with concepts that are not only eminently studiable but also demonstrable, and - wait for it - proveable. They're just not observable in the main.

Those were exactly the qualities I was looking for in an example, so it sounds like I chose well.

Nordmann wrote:

The "soul" is none of these things - heck, no two religionists can even be sure they're talking about the same thing when they use the term.

Well, I never advocate looking to religions for answers, and frankly I agree that a lot of what religions have to say about souls doesn't make any sense at all.  However, if we consider just the idea that a soul is a nonthinking entity which subtly influences biochemical bodies, but whose existence does not require biochemical bodies, as per classic reincarnation, it's not obviously implausible.

Nordmann wrote:

It's an outdated concept which originated in an age when knowledge of biology allowed for a distinction between sentient beings and "lower" life forms but hadn't a notion of why or how the distinction arose. At that time they could be forgiven for thinking in their ignorance that divine breath blew us up into people and conscience resided within us somewhere around the heart area.

An idea is just an idea.  Surely you're not suggesting that the fact that an idea is old would be a factor in whether or not that idea is true?  In any case, a lot of people still take it seriously today.  Also, at least some of the classic presentations of reincarnation didn't limit souls to inhabiting human bodies exclusively, and some people (even today) make a point of not killing any insects for this reason.

Nordmann wrote:

Nowadays it's an affront to intelligence to harp on about it.

Oh?  Why is that?  If you're suggesting that someone is not intelligent because they choose to discuss a topic which people commonly make poor arguments for, then your suggestion is fallacious both through ad hominem and through association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy).

Nordmann wrote:

Thought is a function of one organ, the brain.

I accept that the brain is the only organ in which thought occurs.  I don't think there's any cause for disagreement about that issue.  (Well... someone might bring up hypothetical alien biologies, but let's not get sidetracked....)

Nordmann wrote:

When it ceases to function completely so does the life form dependent on it.

Agreed, provisionally... this conclusions depends on the definition of "life form" meaning a physical body and specifically excluding a soul.

Nordmann wrote:

End of story. No amount of crapology - even crapology which borrows terms and concepts from quantum mechanics to pretend to mean more than it can (zilch) - will demonstrate anything otherwise. If you choose not to accept this fact then you have strayed into the area of wishful thinking where the untold hordes of delusionists are waiting to provide you with reassurance you are right based, like everything else they go on about, on just the same wishful thinking as yours but dressed up in dogma and creed to make it look authorative. It's not. It's bullshit.

I wouldn't dream of trying to support a position using "crapology".  As for my usage of quantum mechanics, it was just an example to illustrate a point... I could just as well have used relativity or any other scientific discovery that could only have been made with the help of modern technology and scientific understanding.  If the "fact" you're referring to is that "crapology" is not valid justification for forming beliefs, then I can sleep well knowing that the delusionists have no power over me (unless of course your definition of "crapology" is logic and epistemology, in which case I'm screwed).  In any case, buying into dogma and creed would be fallacious, as would accepting claims solely on the basis of self-proclaimed authority.

Then again... it would be fallacious for me to assume that a similar idea would be false solely on the basis of their poorly justified claims, and I don't like believing things on faith, so until I find a solid reason to believe that souls do not exist in some form, intellectual integrity demands that I keep an open mind.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
So - you assert that the

So - you assert that the "soul" is demonstrable. Ok - demonstrate it.

You seem to think that I claimed an idea that's old is automatically invalid. Put your glasses on and read what I said again. An idea that's founded in ignorance that has long become redundant due to advances in knowledge is potentially invalid. Unless of course it's still demonstrably valid. So I say it again - demonstrate your soul.

Relativity was proven with the help of an agile mind, several pencils, table napkins and other scraps of paper, and the accumulated intelligence of several individuals who set their minds to understanding it. Modern scientific understanding, as you like to phrase it, is not the same as modern technology. Nevertheless one facet they share is that they advance incrementally  - one towards understanding and the other towards increased functionality.

So again - given that you must accept several thousand generations have now devoted time and effort to studying, defining, and demonstrating the existence of the soul - demonstrate it. After all, you claim it's teh same as quantum mechanics and relativity. Show me the scientific theory that supports it.

Your last sentence confirms your stupidity in this matter as far as I am concerned. Your version of what you call committment to "an open mind" means by extension that you will have to hold open the possibility that angels, fairies, easter bunnies and the Great Gilgoolian Pugglewash are also amongst us.

One important function of intelligence is to rationally distinguish between the real, the probable, the possible and the impossible. Even a stupid person can place any particular concept anywhere they like on that spectrum - but they do so subjectively. That is not an open mind. It is a vacant one. If you think you are intelligent, and yu think that the "soul" can be observed intelligently and objectively, then demonstrate the fruits of that intelligence and objectivity now, or shut up.

Otherwise you're just like any other theist making empty assertions for no better reason than it suits their subjective prejudices and bolsters their delusion.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Definitions

The soul, that part of the human being that presumably carries the personality, memories and identity of the person beyond physical death.

These three attributes of the human psyche can be altered, chemically (drugs, both prescribed and self medicated), electrically (shock and certain other neurological therapies), physically (due to surgery or trauma) and of course, by disease processes... 

Thus, the 'soul' presumably too would be altered. This would seem to negate the concept as a liklihood, at least in as much as it is generally thought of by the theistically inclined.

LC >;-}>

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:So - you

Nordmann wrote:

So - you assert that the "soul" is demonstrable. Ok - demonstrate it.

If you think you are intelligent, and yu think that the "soul" can be observed intelligently and objectively, then demonstrate the fruits of that intelligence and objectivity now, or shut up.

Otherwise you're just like any other theist making empty assertions for no better reason than it suits their subjective prejudices and bolsters their delusion.

That's a complete straw man.  You're either missing my point entirely or choosing to ignore it.  I haven't claimed that souls are real, and I haven't claimed that I'm in any position to demonstrate the existence of souls.  What I've said is that if souls are real, and if someone was capable of detecting them, then they must be inherently demonstrable and studiable... I never claimed that souls are real or that I'm someone personally prepared to make any such demonstration or that we have the tools and knowledge to be able to directly observe them now.  To ask me to demonstrate something that I haven't even claimed exists is rather unreasonable.

Nordmann wrote:

You seem to think that I claimed an idea that's old is automatically invalid. Put your glasses on and read what I said again.

I didn't think that, but I did want to get you to clarify what you meant, which you have done (quite well, I might add).

Nordmann wrote:

An idea that's founded in ignorance that has long become redundant due to advances in knowledge is potentially invalid.

Quite right.  If, in fact, the idea of souls and reincarnation originated in all cases as an attempt to explain how we're able to perceive the world around us, understand it, and direct actions within it, then there is not really any reason for us to take an interest in that idea now that we know what nerves do.  Now that I understand your line of reasoning, I have considerably more respect for your position.  It appears to be logically valid, although I can't yet acknowledge it as being logically sound.  As such, it's sufficient to justify lack of interest in the topic in the absence of convincing evidence, although not sufficient to justify a belief that the phenomenon doesn't exist.  Still, at least now I probably won't be as annoyed when I see this claim.  I'll go ahead and address the rest of your post anyway though, since you took the time to write it.

Nordmann wrote:

Relativity was proven with the help of an agile mind, several pencils, table napkins and other scraps of paper, and the accumulated intelligence of several individuals who set their minds to understanding it. Modern scientific understanding, as you like to phrase it, is not the same as modern technology. Nevertheless one facet they share is that they advance incrementally  - one towards understanding and the other towards increased functionality.

Sure, but math and logic are, by their nature, abstract disciplines, so you can't "prove" something in the real world using just imagination, math, and logic.  In order for the conclusions to represent reality, the axioms must also represent reality, and in order to determine whether or not they do, we need epistemological determinations (science) which often require tools.  If we don't have the tools to observe (or induce) hypothetical behaviors, then all we have are ideas that we're not yet in a position to test.  In this way, science and technology are inextricably linked... each depends on the other to be able to progress.

Nordmann wrote:

So again - given that you must accept several thousand generations have now devoted time and effort to studying, defining, and demonstrating the existence of the soul - demonstrate it. After all, you claim it's teh same as quantum mechanics and relativity. Show me the scientific theory that supports it.

The point I was trying to make is that scientific theories, and the observed evidence that supports them, do not exist at all points in history, although the phenomena that they describe do.  Therefore, the fact that a scientific theory doesn't exist yet is not evidence that the phenomena that it describes doesn't exist... it could be that the scientific theory would be drafted at some future point in time.  That was the whole point of the thought experiment in which I mentioned quantum mechanics.  At some previous point in time, quantum mechanics as a scientific theory hadn't been developed, but quantum mechanics as a property of reality of course was just as real then as it is now.

Nordmann wrote:

Your version of what you call committment to "an open mind" means by extension that you will have to hold open the possibility that angels, fairies, easter bunnies and the Great Gilgoolian Pugglewash are also amongst us.

Not really.  As far as I'm aware, angels are inextricably a part of Christianity (excepting of course, works of fiction labeled as such), a religion which has been thoroughly and repeatedly shown to be logically inconsistent and therefore completely implausible.  Easter bunnies are clearly logically inconsistent, and therefore can be quickly determined to be false.  I'm not going to lose any sleep over the 10 seconds of my life I spent enumerating reasons why.  I've never heard of anything called a Great Gilgoolian Pugglewash (and apparently neither has www.google.com), so until someone presents a definition to me, there's nothing to consider.  Fairies, of the ideas that you mentioned, are the least obviously false... but for any definition of faeries which includes them having a physical form, it's quite unlikely due to the proliferation of our species that they would exist today and not have been discovered by biologists, and even if they did exist, the most appropriate course of action would be to ignore them and wait for someone else to discover them.  In a more general sense, however, it appears that the term 'faeries' is sometimes used to describe any type of non-physical entity.  To carelessly preclude the possibility of nonbiological or nonphysical entities which have the basic properties of sensing and reacting to their environment and reproducing seems to be quite a leap in logic.

Nordmann wrote:

One important function of intelligence is to rationally distinguish between the real, the probable, the possible and the impossible.

Sure.  That's where critical thinking and gathering evidence come in.

Nordmann wrote:

Even a stupid person can place any particular concept anywhere they like on that spectrum - but they do so subjectively. That is not an open mind. It is a vacant one.

Well, some subjectivity is unavoidable as no one has a completely unbiased view of reality, and to think that only stupid people miscategorize concepts in a modal logic sense would be a bit of a stretch at the very least.  But, you're right that there are far too many people who are really bad at this.  I blame the fact that critical thinking skills, logical fallacies, and general skepticism are not really emphasized or even introduced in many elementary schools.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're splitting

You're splitting hairs.

What you're saying is that anything is possible in the future. Just because we can't discern the truth in an assertion now with the knowledge and tools we have does not mean that someone in the future, better equipped, cannot do so. You're using the great unknown of the future as a convenient bolt-hole to flee to when faced with the demand to apply objective reason over subjective theory. Theists use a similar bolt-hole called "god".

What I'm saying is that, when it comes to "the soul", and given the time and effort already expended on the assertion of its existence, where do we stand now? Or more importantly, where do you stand? Is there a shred of evidence? If not, why not then work on the assumption that there's a good reason for that?

Let's face it - have you even seen a uniform definition of the bloody thing yet? The term is a relic from an unscientific and ignorant understanding of how our bodies function. It is not an "as yet unproven" but observable phenomenon. It is archaic terminology for something that we now understand and have better words to describe.

Get real.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
The problem with the "Just

The problem with the "Just because it can't be scientifically explained now doesn't mean it can't be scientifically explained in the future" argument, is you could say that for absolutely anything. But what's the likelyhood? All the aspects of the soul that make it necessary are already explained by the brain! Occam's thingabeebob! Use it!!

Unless you're just playing the devil's advocate cos you're bored.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:You're

Nordmann wrote:

You're splitting hairs.

I'm trying to be precise.  Carelessness leads to faulty reasoning.

Nordmann wrote:

What you're saying is that anything is possible in the future.

I'm not saying that at all.  If a phenomenon doesn't exist, it can't be scientifically discovered.  Ideas which are logically inconsistent cannot accurately represent reality.  Therefore, it's not possible for angels and easter bunnies to be scientifically discovered in the future.

Nordmann wrote:

Just because we can't discern the truth in an assertion now with the knowledge and tools we have does not mean that someone in the future, better equipped, cannot do so.

Precisely.

Nordmann wrote:

You're using the great unknown of the future as a convenient bolt-hole to flee to when faced with the demand to apply objective reason over subjective theory. Theists use a similar bolt-hole called "god".

No, I'm trying to only use objective reason.  That precludes me from making subjective leaps in logic, for instance, "I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that supports phenomenon X, so phenomenon X doesn't exist," would be logically invalid.

Theists come in many shapes and sizes so to speak, but most theists I've met start with a logically invalid conclusion... that a god exists... and then use that conclusion to justify itself (circular logic) or use logically invalid arguments to try to justify the conclusion that a god exists.  I don't think I'm committing any such fallacy, but if I am, please point it out to me so I can correct it.

Nordmann wrote:

What I'm saying is that, when it comes to "the soul", and given the time and effort already expended on the assertion of its existence, where do we stand now? Or more importantly, where do you stand?

Where I stand on the issue is simple... if an idea is logically consistent and logically valid and has not been shown to be based on a false premise, then it's illogical to claim that the idea is false.  It is, however, justified to choose not to investigate such ideas as we have a limited amount of time to work with.  Specifically with regards to souls, I find that some ideas which are given that label are clearly logically inconsistent and therefore false, but that doesn't appear to be the case with all of them. With regards to those which are not logically invalid and haven't been epistemologically falsified, my position is not that they're true and not that they're false... it's that I don't know whether they're true or false and I would like to.

Nordmann wrote:

Is there a shred of evidence?

A quick look at wikipedia turned up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Cases_Suggestive_of_Reincarnation.  Of course, wikipedia is hardly an infallible source, so I'll make a point of tracking down the book and the commentary and criticisms of the book.  It's worth noting that there's a major difference between whether or not a shred of evidence exists and whether or not any given person knows of a shred of evidence.

Nordmann wrote:

If not, why not then work on the assumption that there's a good reason for that?

I used to work on those types of assumptions, but I found that some of my assumptions were incorrect, and that operating on those faulty assumptions had significant negative implications on my life.  Furthermore, it's curiosity about the unknown and a commitment to seeking objective verification or refutation of ideas that drives scientific inquiry, and the more we learn about the world we live in, the better equipped we are to decide how to live.

Nordmann wrote:

Let's face it - have you even seen a uniform definition of the bloody thing yet?

Are you claiming that if a word is used to mean more than one thing that none of the meanings are valid?  There are an abundance of counterexamples to that line of reasoning.

Nordmann wrote:

The term is a relic from an unscientific and ignorant understanding of how our bodies function. It is not an "as yet unproven" but observable phenomenon. It is archaic terminology for something that we now understand and have better words to describe.

If you're using the term to mean an explanation for how we're able to think, then yes, I agree with you with respect to that meaning.  That's not how I generally use the term, however.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:The problem with

Jello wrote:

The problem with the "Just because it can't be scientifically explained now doesn't mean it can't be scientifically explained in the future" argument, is you could say that for absolutely anything.

I disagree, as I mentioned in my previous post.

Jello wrote:

But what's the likelyhood? All the aspects of the soul that make it necessary are already explained by the brain! Occam's thingabeebob! Use it!!

Occam's razor can be quite useful as a heuristic maxim, but it's logically invalid in deductive reasoning.  In any case, if a person were to encounter even 1 piece of evidence that didn't fit an explanation, Occam's razor wouldn't advocate sticking with that explanation.

Jello wrote:

Unless you're just playing the devil's advocate cos you're bored.

I used to do that a lot when I was younger and more energetic, but these days I generally don't want to bother arguing a position that I don't consider to be worth arguing.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
QuasarX wrote:Nordmann

QuasarX wrote:

Nordmann wrote:

Let's face it - have you even seen a uniform definition of the bloody thing yet?

Are you claiming that if a word is used to mean more than one thing that none of the meanings are valid?  There are an abundance of counterexamples to that line of reasoning.

Is anyone even talking about the same thing?

What is "soul"?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly, aiia. The OED has

Exactly, aiia.

The OED has a rather long definition (or group of definitions) with a note that the number sequence 1,2,3 etc denoting each definition is not to be taken as an indication of relevance, popularity or even closest definition to the truth since the concept is one largely devised through theology to portray a spritual expression of a person's being which allows for that being to extend beyond the physical limitations of body and lifespan. That to me is about the best comment one can make - it's a semantic device to portray a supposition based on nothing real, not an entity that can be proven to exist, and since theologies differ so much, even within distinct religious codes, this particular word is loaded with so much various and often contradictory guff that it is meaningless.

And despite all from our friend above, the word was always based on a misunderstanding of how the body works. That misunderstanding has long been corrected. It's time the associated claptrap was tidied up.