'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/05/30/brazil.tribes/index.html

How long before they are now contacted by Christian and Mormon missionaries?

What can be done to stop them? Should scientists contact them, before others do?

Should the Brazilian government and UN protect these people from being contacted? I say yes, send in the military to keep them from being contacted by anyone.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think they should just be

I think they should just be left alone.  They've clearly been getting along fine without us, so I see no reason to crash their party. 

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
They are being protected and

They are being protected and it wouldn't be the right of the UN to protect them anyhow.  They live within a sovereign country who has authority and is apparently keeping them isolated.

My only problems are that they cannot be forcibly isolated, that they cannot be permanently isolated and that contact is inevitable in either direction.  They've already been affected by the world and the world will continue to affect them and it will only become more prevalent.  Eventually there won't be a choice but to make contact, hopefully more successfully than contact has been made in the past.  Setting up air bases on their land, communicating nothing to them and letting them create cargo cults is hardly ideal.  Anyhow, when contact final does occur, I hope it can be positive or have more positive outcomes than historically it has.

I would be very interested in recording the languages of these isolated tribes before their languages die (they almost always do after contact).

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Follow the prime directive

Follow the prime directive people..

I don't know,preserving them from outside contact seems like making them exibhits.

Quote:

"These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Cory said in a statement. "The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct."

They're talking like this tribe is a breed of endangered bird.But I guess we aren't going to help much,so might as well leave them alone.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with jmm in that

I agree with jmm in that they've done just fine all these years. Scientists could learn a lot I am sure and missionaries would just want to try to convert them, but any society that has existed independently without any outside interference should be left alone. The only thing we would do is expose them to diseases that they haven't been exposed to and risk killing some. It just isn't worth the risk.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
IIRC, Sting (of The Police

IIRC, Sting (of The Police fame) got his panties in a bunch maybe twenty years ago when a South American government was going to step in and bring modern medicine, etc, to an indigenous tribe.  He thought they ought to be allowed to live in their "natural state."  The counter argument was that their natural state included an awful lot of starvation and slow lingering death from disease.  Given the choice, the government thought they might prefer not to starve.

It's an interesting question.  I'm not sure there's a correct answer.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we should stay away

I think we should stay away from them but continue to fuck with them from a distance for our amusement.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:IIRC,

Hambydammit wrote:

IIRC, Sting (of The Police fame) got his panties in a bunch maybe twenty years ago when a South American government was going to step in and bring modern medicine, etc, to an indigenous tribe.  He thought they ought to be allowed to live in their "natural state."  The counter argument was that their natural state included an awful lot of starvation and slow lingering death from disease.  Given the choice, the government thought they might prefer not to starve.

It's an interesting question.  I'm not sure there's a correct answer.

Yes there is.   Kill Sting.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if that tribe has

I wonder if that tribe has been so isolated that our diseases would wipe them out as soon as contact was made.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Send robots.  

Send robots.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
BrainFromArous wrote:Send

BrainFromArous wrote:

Send robots.

Did you ever see the movie 'The gods must be crazy'?  They might worship the robots as gods. Maybe just drop a coke bottle from an airplane and see what happens first. I think maybe you could send in hidden cameras and audio just to study them. But definitely no people for now.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 They've already seen the

They've already seen the airplane/helicopter that had photographers in it. If that doesn't scare the shit out of them, I don't know what would.

Anyway, the pictures were released because Peru and Brasil are having a border/logging dispute, and they're using these people as a gambit. There's a group from the UK getting involved and is using the same line, that they're "natural" and "pure" and could possibly die of whatever viruses we've already adapted to.

They're probably also assholes like the Yanomamo.

Hehe.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: There's

HisWillness wrote:

There's a group from the UK getting involved and is using the same line, that they're "natural" and "pure" and could possibly die of whatever viruses we've already adapted to.

They're probably also assholes like the Yanomamo.

Hehe.

But they need to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. To the missionaries, this is more important than their lives. Maybe they could just airdrop TV sets with televangelist sermons. So they just get the virus of Faith.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Did you ever see

EXC wrote:

Did you ever see the movie 'The gods must be crazy'?  They might worship the robots as gods. Maybe just drop a coke bottle from an airplane and see what happens first. I think maybe you could send in hidden cameras and audio just to study them. But definitely no people for now.

Saw it indeed!

Or we go the opposite way: Send a large armed force in and take their children to be raised elsewhere, in modern environs. Do what you can for the adults. Some will never adapt; leave them be to die naturally.

Most important thing: Euro-Disco. Lots of it. An operation like this needs a soundtrack.

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
here's a pretty interesting

here's a pretty interesting link on the subject

http://www.survival-international.org/campaigns/uncontactedtribes

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: Maybe they could

EXC wrote:
 Maybe they could just airdrop TV sets with televangelist sermons.

Wow - are they not covered under the Geneva Convention or something? That's just mean.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going there with a gun

I'm going there with a gun and a lighter and a couple of cases of cigarettes. I feel such implements should be sufficient to convince these people that I am their new god, and perhaps I'll finally get the respect and adoration I so obviously deserve.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five wrote:I'm

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
I'm going there with a gun and a lighter and a couple of cases of cigarettes.

Still less cruel than televangelism.

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
I feel such implements should be sufficient to convince these people that I am their new god, and perhaps I'll finally get the respect and adoration I so obviously deserve.

Which you may, until they eat your face to absorb your strength.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:EXC

HisWillness wrote:

EXC wrote:
 Maybe they could just airdrop TV sets with televangelist sermons.

Wow - are they not covered under the Geneva Convention or something? That's just mean.

Hence the Euro-Disco.

Geneva's in Europe, right?

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)