Annoyance and God-parents

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Annoyance and God-parents

So i was talking to my sister the other day and she was telling me that she wanted me to be her sons god-father, I said sure. (she knows that i am an atheists and doesn't care, she's pretty cool about it...) Well yesterday she calls me and says that her (catholic) pastor says i am not allowed because i was never indoctrinated into the faith... I said WTF? she tried to argue with him and he said no, that she needs to pick someone who would be willing to raise their child in the faith. So My brother is going to be the god-father and he won't be able to be there, so i get to be the proxy and laugh at the preacher...;p  I hope the roof collapses after the cerimony ends and the guest are all out...
Just figured i would ask your opinions on this.

this is only a title in name, whoever gets one of her kids if someing should happen gets the other as well, still annoys me tho.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since when does the church

Since when does the church have a say in who is the god-parent? Did I miss something Smiling

Is it a binding contract, one between a parent and a god-parent? Is the priest denying a christening / blessing / baptism if you your sister pushes the issue?

Just curious...I was asked to be a god-parent and I said sure to a friend of mine. She isn't catholic...didn't know it was so formal.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
You have GOT to be shitting

You have GOT to be shitting me! That is fucking outragious! How dare he!?! That is your sister's choice, not his! I've been the God-parent of my sisters child, and if the church ever felt like they had any say in that, I would go fucking bat-shit!

Sorry for all the cuss-words, but I mean COME ON!

Still, that would never be an issue in a Danish State Church. I mean we actually had a priest who came out as an Atheist a couple of years ago, so the State Church here is more like a Ceremony/tradition-institution. I can readily imagine Muslim God-parents are accepted here, though, I don't actually know if there has been such a thing yet.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

curlytoes79
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
If you want a kid baptized

If you want a kid baptized in the Catholic church, most priests will set certain restrictions...they won't recognize a godparent who's not part of the faith or who won't help raise the child within the faith. It's unfair, but Catholicism is a cult after all, and is fairly strict about this stuff.

That doesn't mean you can't call yourself the child's godfather, or that the mother can't recognize you as such. There's no legal aspect to it, as far as I know. Who cares what that priest thinks? My husband was raised Catholic but he and I were married at a B&B by a Unitarian minister....so his church doesn't "recognize" our marriage and technically consider us to be fornicators. Needless to say, this doesn't affect our lives one bit.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you pretty much have

I think you pretty much have to be Catholic to set foot in a Catholic church...not really, but I do believe that in order to take part in any kind of ceremony you have to be.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?