When I die, my brain is going to be transferred to my spiritual body

Lot2
Theist
User is offlineOffline

My brain and all my five senses will be transferred to a spiritual body and I'll exist the same way I do now, having all my memories, in a spiritual world.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:My brain and all my

Quote:

My brain and all my five senses will be transferred to a spiritual body and I'll exist the same way I do now, having all my memories, in a spiritual world.

This would be unproblematic were it not for the fact that the cerebral neurons undergo tissue necrosis after death. When you die, your brain dies too. Your brain is, after all, you. This will be most especially guaranteed if you die from head trauma, or stroke, or a cerebrovascular disorder, or a neurodegenerative disorder, or a malignant tumor that lodges in the neural clusters. Don't forget as well, in the process of exhumation or autopsy, the Prosecutor or the coroner (that is, the person who actually performs the incision) will use a chainsaw to cut the top of your head off and remove the brain. Then they will bisect it along the frontal axis and cut it up for cross-sectioning. Oh, and also, would you mind explaining to me how an organ like the brain functions without all those important things of the physical body like, you know, a spatiotemporal location, blood supply, encasing, things like that. By what meaningful mechanism do you propose that a physical entity that is completely destroyed at death and is wholly and inexorably bound up in the physical world which it inhabits and is wholly part of a physical system (the body) which is also destroyed at death, is somehow transferred and retained in a non-physical entity? What you are essentially claiming by your OP is that your physical body will live forever, being that the physical body is necessary for the aforementioned things. Then by what are you asserting the need to introduce the concept of a spiritual body and how can you meaningfull reconcile these concepts.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lot2 wrote:My brain and all

Lot2 wrote:
ok sure, good for you, or bad for you, whatever.  Just curious, why not just start off with this spiritual body and skip the whole physical dying and living part?

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

You're afraid of dying.

Admit it.

You need to believe you will continue forever, otherwise your worldview seems absurd, meaingless, and nihilistic because, no doubt, it is based on biblical derangement.

Poor fool

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So you're either a floating

So you're either a floating brain or God works some more magic?

Also, what of Revelation 7:17? It says God will wipe away every tear from their eyes - bad memories can bring tears.

By that verse, you can't have all of your memories because the tear inducing ones will be wiped away.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

Well how exciting. **not sure if you are christian BUT **

To have all five senses transferred to your body....YAY for you if you make it to heaven because you will have eternal bliss. OH NO for you if you are chosen for hell for you shall burn for eternity. With this logic and  belief a person would have to be REALLY sure they have truly recognized Jesus as the only true way to being saved...I can't imagine someone being so acutely aware of this every single day of their life...worrying that they may have pissed jesus off, praying to be forgiven, screwing up again, praying to be forgiven...

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

I only have four senses.  Will I get the missing one when my brain is transferred?  Or will my genetic code that prevents me from having a sense of smell stay the same in spiritual form?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
What about that kid from The

What about that kid from The Sixth Sense--will all six of his senses be transferred?  Will we all be able to see dead people? 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:What about that

jmm wrote:

What about that kid from The Sixth Sense--will all six of his senses be transferred?  Will we all be able to see dead people? 

Oh dear. How awkward. I don't know how to break this to you...

Dude? That kid in the Sixth Sense?

He's a fictional character.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
People with fancy brain

People with fancy brain scanners can show you various portions of your brain required to process speech, language, sensory data and memory.   And of course many many brain disorders prove that without it properly working, you can run into all sorts of strange distortions of your take on reality. 

So...  If you still happen to exist with no brain and are just some sort of floating orb without these faculties that allow you to experience anything.  No thanks!  

Here's a hint.  Focus on improving your life instead of your death.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:jmm

Kevin R Brown wrote:

jmm wrote:

Oh dear. How awkward. I don't know how to break this to you...

Dude? That kid in the Sixth Sense?

He's a fictional character.

WHAT

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

[Upper class English Accent]Well, hopefully it will do you more good there than it does here.[/Upper class English Accent]

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
to be or not to be

Lot2 wrote:
      No you wont. 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Lot2 wrote:My

Jeffrick wrote:

Lot2 wrote:
      No you wont. 

Case closed.

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

Sure you will.

You have no proof that "spiritual bodies" exist.

You have no proof that there is a "spiritual world".

We have no idea what a "spirit" is.

We have never observerd anyone do this.

Sorry, you lose. Smiling

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

mephibosheth?? Is that you??

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evidence for any of these

Evidence for any of these statements?

Oh thats right there is none. THanks for the laugh though.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dead?

jmm wrote:

If he could see dead people before, then would it not logically take that he could see alive people?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

This is just weird, do you comprehend how unlikely this scenario is, Lot2?

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
dear Eloise I am wrting to say.................

Eloise I do believe that thou art becoming,   neh art thou,   an a--------------thiest????????????

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I die, I'm going to

When I die, I'm going to become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Minor Correction...

deludedgod wrote:

Don't forget as well, in the process of exhumation or autopsy, the Prosecutor or the coroner (that is, the person who actually performs the incision) will use a chainsaw to cut the top of your head off and remove the brain.

No I don't... I use a vibrating bone saw... then I stick my osteotome (chisel) into the cut margin, popping off the cap of the skull. I lift the braiin foreward and slice through the optic nerves, then pull it out, slicing through the tough membrane of the dura and trimming a number of smaller nerves until I can see down into the spinal column. I insert my scalpel along the anterior spinal cord and cut it free. I then lift the brain from the skull, weigh it, THEN we...

deludedgod wrote:
... will bisect it along the frontal axis and cut it up for cross-sectioning.

We also remove a number of samples (probably some stuff you might actually need, spirit-body wise) for microscopic examination.

Son... when I get through with your brain (assuming your spirit body can find it, as we toss the pieces of it into a black garbage bag which is returned to the body cavity) I don't think you'll have much use for it... but after reading your fantasy...I doubt you do now...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:When I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

*Cuts down Kevin with his lightsaber and then picks up his empty clothes wondering where his body went...*

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
hazindu wrote:Lot2 wrote:My

hazindu wrote:

Lot2 wrote:

ok sure, good for you, or bad for you, whatever.  Just curious, why not just start off with this spiritual body and skip the whole physical dying and living part?

Seriously.

If we can have all our senses and thoughts and memories without a physical body then why bother with the damn thing in the first place? The physical body is a real pain in the ass to take care of. It's always malfunctioning, aching, getting tired, stinky, has to be fed, and all that shit. What a big waste of time and energy if we don't even need it.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lot2 wrote: When I

Lot2 wrote:

this reminds me a hell of a lot of when I heard a child say "when I grow up I'm going to be a fire engine".

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lot2 wrote:

When I die, the invisible microscopic orangutans living in my armpits will transfer my memories into the body of a supermodel and will then re-create the body of Harrison Ford (about age 35) with a personality that will perfectly complement my own.  Once this is accomplished, the orangutans will cater to our every whim as we fuck our new brains out for all eternity.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ALBERTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Kevin you are spending   FAR   too much time on your computor.     Take a trip to   Guyana;     in June.    It   will   be    far different then Alberta,   and that   computor.