I don't get 'sin'. Christians, help me out?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't get 'sin'. Christians, help me out?

...So God basically wrote down a bunch of stuff on Moses's tablets and declared them 'sinful'. You can't break these laws and, if you do, you go to Hell.

Of course, us silly human beings break these laws all the time, so - thankfully for us - Jesus came down and got nailed to a chunk of wood so that we could be forgiven. All we have to do is ask.

This makes zero sense to me as an ethical philosophy. Never mind the scare tactic; how is it ethically reasonable that I can do whatever terrible things I want, but can get the ultimate reward (in the form of Heaven) by simply asking for Jesus's forgiveness? In what way does such a system propose to keep humans 'moral'?

At best, it seems like it's a superficial inconvenience. 'Oh, gee, Jesus - I'm real sorry about kicking-off the Holocaust like that. Can you forgive me?' 'Of course, Adolf. Come on in and pull-up a chair.'

Explain your moral mechanism to me, since I apparently can't figure-out the how and why behind it's operators.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
ME TOO!!!

ME TOO!!!

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
christian answer (?)

i believe the christian answer is that:

1. you could die at any time - perhaps you are planning to apologize tomorrow for screwing that married woman today but a bus is going to flatten you like a pancake on the way home.

2. god knows if you're *really* sorry.

3. is purgatory still around?  if so, yeah... the only thing that would suck worse than worshiping some god for eternity would be being on your hards and knees begging to go there.  at least when you're in heaven you can fly.  i think?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:i believe

shelleymtjoy wrote:

1. you could die at any time - perhaps you are planning to apologize tomorrow for screwing that married woman today but a bus is going to flatten you like a pancake on the way home.

3. is purgatory still around?  if so, yeah... the only thing that would suck worse than worshiping some god for eternity would be being on your hards and knees begging to go there.  at least when you're in heaven you can fly.  i think?

Well, at least we're getting somewhere... I've been beating my head into a brick wall for the last hour trying to at least understand this concept.

Regarding point 1: Well, okay. So I can only ask for forgiveness while I'm still an organic body on Earth? Is there a reason behind this? God doesn't forgive you after you pass away?

Regarding point 2: And what if I *am* genuinely sorry? Surely Ted Bundy was genuinely sorry after he was sat down in the electric chair.

Regarding point 3: I don't understand the concept of purgatory, either. According to everything I've read, you confess, God removes your sins, you go the Heaven. (http://christiananswers.net/q-dml/dml-y027.html - "You understand what guilt is, but I don’t believe you fully grasp the greatness of God’s forgiveness. I want you to understand that when you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, God promised that He would never stop forgiving you, no matter what you do wrong.&quotEye-wink

If you don't confess, you're sullied by your sins, and you go to Hell.

Where does purgatory fit into that?

-

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Where

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Where does purgatory fit into that? -

As an ex-Catholic I can tell you what I know. After you die most souls are sent to purgatory to be purified. Catholics believe that most have committed what are called  venial sins, minor transgressions basically for which there does not exist a way or means for true repentance. You must be purified before you go to heaven as God cannot look upon evil. Afterwords you are pure and can be in the presence of God.

For more detail see here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
First.. let's just, for the

First.. let's just, for the sake of this thread, make the words sinful and moral equivalent to try and make sense of the biblical concept of "sin" with an "ethical philosophy."

The ten commandments were not meant to create morality, they were a codification of what was moral before.

As for the Christian system of forgiveness.. I'm pretty sure it is commonly accepted amongst Christian denominations that some sincere repentance must be involved in the act of "asking" for forgiveness. 

Sincere repentance => change in behavior.

At least that is the thought.  Obviously there are certain bits of human nature that keep us from changing those habits which we might sincerely regret after during in a particular instance.. but the Christian philosophy (in a purely mechanistic manner) merely constructs an "ethical philosophy" which requires an act (e.g., prayer, asking for forgiveness, etc.) meant to solidify "sincere repentance" in order that the immoral act might be avoided in the future.

In the same way that teachers make student 1 write on the board X amount of times that he will not do Y again. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:First..

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

First.. let's just, for the sake of this thread, make the words sinful and moral equivalent to try and make sense of the biblical concept of "sin" with an "ethical philosophy."

The ten commandments were not meant to create morality, they were a codification of what was moral before.

This is a concession, then, that ethics and morality were in existence before any stone tablet was allegedly passed to Moses?

Quote:
As for the Christian system of forgiveness.. I'm pretty sure it is commonly accepted amongst Christian denominations that some sincere repentance must be involved in the act of "asking" for forgiveness. 

Sincere repentance => change in behavior.

At least that is the thought.  Obviously there are certain bits of human nature that keep us from changing those habits which we might sincerely regret after during in a particular instance.. but the Christian philosophy (in a purely mechanistic manner) merely constructs an "ethical philosophy" which requires an act (e.g., prayer, asking for forgiveness, etc.) meant to solidify "sincere repentance" in order that the immoral act might be avoided in the future.

What about behaviors that cannot be 'changed' by normal means? Like lusting after a woman? Unless I take measures to chemically retard my sex drive, I'll always lust after women.

We can't 'repent' in the way you're describing for committing some of the sins the Bible forbids. So is everyone going to Hell?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:This is a

Quote:
This is a concession, then, that ethics and morality were in existence before any stone tablet was allegedly passed to Moses?

Yes. 
Quote:
What about behaviors that cannot be 'changed' by normal means? Like lusting after a woman? Unless I take measures to chemically retard my sex drive, I'll always lust after women.
Depends on how you define lust. 
Quote:
We can't 'repent' in the way you're describing for committing some of the sins the Bible forbids.
Such as? 
Quote:
So is everyone going to Hell?
Well.. if your previous contention is correct, I would guess so. i.e., if it is impossible to repent (in the sense of 'sincere repentance'), then we are all going to hell. Just to clarify, in case it was misunderstood, 'sincere repentance' has nothing to do with the ability to actually stop the thing that you are sincerely repent-ful for... I made sure to state this in my original argument. With that clarified.. I can't imagine it is impossible to be "sincerely repent-ful" for any particular sin I can think of.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline

shelleymtjoy wrote:

This terrified me as a christian.I was convinced that if I should happen to die while I had unrepeneted for sins, I would be getting a one way ticket to hell. However,many christian denominations believe in 'once saved,always saved' This way, no matter what you do,and wether you ever repent, you get to heaven.

In this way you could live a exceptionally 'sinful' life, never repent,and still get the reward.Now how's that for christian morality?

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I always wondered if I was sorry enough or if god knew deeeep down I wasn't really.

shelleymtjoy wrote:

can't help, my upbringing/education didn't believe purgatory.

Another thing I'd like to add to the list is the 'why don't you just always sin and ask forgiveness'? thing. We asked this at school so I'll share their wisdom:

God has limits.If you continue to sin and not truely be repentful, a time will eventually come where his patience with you will run out, and he will not forgive you. So when you sin and repent, you must make a real effort not to do it again. If you do try not to,but mess up and do sin, god will know you were at least trying not to, and forgive you again

Though that was probably just a scare tactic to get the kids to stop sinning.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Beware , GOD forgets nothing

Beware , GOD forgets nothing , and god demands lovingly touching one another or else DIE .... Love or Die is the law, evolution .... literally and "spiritually"    

Kevin basically nailed it. Xainity is an absurd ancient dirt dumb superstitious blood sacrifice cult, of offering superficial forgiveness, to lure people into the "feel special" club,  that even the Jewish religion doesn't by into.

Any wise Jesus with half a brain would say "what a crock of shit stew" this present xain religion of hypocrites is  ..... 

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that the Christian

I think that the Christian concept of sin springs from the realization that there is something intrinsically wrong with humanity.  Few people will deny that history demonstrates that man is capable of heinous evil.  Sin, then consists not only of offenses agianst God, but also of offenses against the dignity of other humans.  That this notion pre-dated Moses id undoubtedly true, but human nature being what it is, these "laws" required codification so that the old "Nobody told me it was wrong" excuse wouldn't operate.

I think that the concept of "once saved, always saved" is quite obviously error.  Repentance must be accompanied by a firm purpose of amendment.  Being sorry for an offense, whether against God, the state, or another human individual does no good in and of itself if the offender keeps exhibiting the same offensive behavior but simply apologizes for each transgression.  Even humans expect offenders to mdify their behavior for an apology to be effective.  Further, where possible, one must try to set things upset by their actions to rights once more.

To clarify a point made in a previous point by pauljohntheskpetic, venial sins are sins which do not turn us totally away from God, while mortal sins are those by which we place our ultimate end in some creature to the extent that we turn from God.  Those sins, the mortal ones, are those which will send us to Hell.  Both types of sin can be forgiven by sacramnetal confession, or by the sinner realizing true contrition for those sins; true contrition being repentance for those sins out of true sorrow for having offended God, rather than out of fear of punishment.  Since most folks have a genuine attchment to certain sins, that is, they are predisposed towards certain acts by nature of their personality, or by habit, true contrition is difficult to achieve.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've grappled with the

I've grappled with the concept of sin for a long time and finally gave up trying to understand it. I compare it to the concept of the trinity (dazzle em with bull shit). In one instance sin is a verb in another it's a noun. Just some idea that ancient man made up to explain the world around them in my opinion. What is the mechanism that sin is passed from one generation to another? If I am sinful because Adam and Eve sinned how is this possible. In order to answer this question one would have to respond with some meta-physical bull shit.

The original sin idea is one that troubles me the most. If man is born sinful then how can there be an age of accountability? Some christians believe that a child that dies is not responsible for their sin therefore receives an automatic ticket to heaven. Only when the child becomes aware of right and wrong does that individual warrant a first class ticket to hell if they die unsaved.

Some prophets were so revered that they were called into heaven as well. I believe Elijah was one and I know there are others. Like I said, the whole concept is hokey.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:The

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

The original sin idea is one that troubles me the most. If man is born sinful then how can there be an age of accountability?

I would like to know this also. The implication here is that sin and all that is attached to its inference is through and through a matter of choice whereas, from Christianity we get some bastard blend of choice/theological determinism to explain sin instead -for example: power to choose sin, no power to choose otherwise. Without power to choose otherwise how can one be accountable? It makes no sense, actually almost no christian dogma makes sense, but this makes probably the least sense.

By and large Christian dogma says sin is thrust upon you by Adam and taken from you by Jesus, but in the end it was your choice. Unless a Christian can properly describe a mechanism by which someone else's choices are ultimately your own, they are up the creek using a dead cat for a paddle and there is no reason to accept anything else that is said.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline

shelleymtjoy wrote:

That really doesn't explain anything, it's just another scare tactic. It doesn't give a mechanism whereby your decision to invoke some magic prayer moments before the bus cleans you up absolves you of having hurt someone over lunch. Or by what mechanism said magic words from a cheats mouth are so preferable to never having cheated at all, which really is the main problem, the implication that you can fix your errors by saying sorry to the invisible man better than you can fix them by resisting the urge to hurt another person by your deeds in the first place is just a mother of all contempt for humanity, and really needs to be addressed directly so it can be thrown out.

Thanks for putting something out there though, Shelley.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:First..

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Don't you mean "sinful and immoral"?

RhadtheGizmo wrote:

I'm sure it is commonly accepted, but that doesn't explain the gaping holes in what's important to God. On the one hand it seems of utmost import to God that you get into heaven, hence the offer of deathbed forgiveness regardless of the sin, but if that's so why earth and why do you need forgiveness for what you've done on earth if earth was of no consequence anyway. One then must say that god cares about what happens on earth and it is of consequence, so then how can you be forgiven for visiting atrocity on it just as easily as anyone who never did?

So where does earth figure in all of god's thinking, really, does he care or not care? If he doesn't care then there should be no need for repentance, and if he does care then there should be no chance of repentance.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Babies & baptism

I was brought up in a strict catholic family, could be the reason I found my Atheism was best.  I was told that babies are born with a sin on their soul and therefore needed to be baptized to remove this bad sin.  Is this supposed to be "the sin of birth"?  I guess I never really understood this one particular sin. 

Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

Greetings and hello to you Kevin,

The people you are mad at are mere "sheeple" with no mindset of their own beyond what their church allows.  They have no free will, no free thought, and anything that conflicts with that is buried under their fear of an irrational retribution.  To put it bluntly, we might as well go in circles now and talk about how their irrationality is irrational.  It just is the way it is. 

Personally, they can go fuck themselves and die in a fire.  Also, I hate how any view of belief in God is automatically aligned with some random fucktard idiot's views.  I'll keep to myself instead of internalizing that God is some idiot in the sky who decided that logic is for the hell-bound.

Anyways, I hope their idiocy strengthens some of your views (like that we evolved from apes, perhaps? lol.) and opens your mind to further become a better individual.  I don't think you're gonna get too much further than "Irrationality is irrational" on this issue, though.

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Don't you mean

Quote:
Don't you mean "sinful and immoral"?

Sure.

Quote:
On the one hand it seems of utmost import to God that you get into heaven,

Okay..

Quote:
hence the offer of deathbed forgiveness regardless of the sin, but if that's so why earth and why do you need forgiveness for what you've done on earth if earth was of no consequence anyway.

Well this is a different subject than the thread.

Let me just suggest one possibility... that earth is humanity's exploration of life that partially contrary to what God wants for us.  "Asking for forgiveness" is just another way of reaffirming one's knowledge of the value of X over Y.

So.. while God's "willingness to forgive" is merely is acknowledgement that the person places X over Y.  Heaven, or salvation, will be for only those people that put X over Y.. if they don't, then, it would be contrary to God's will that to force them to be in a place where X has value over Y.

Salvation, under this understanding, is merely God's respecting the choice of individual--i.e., if they want to live in a place where X is over Y--and forgiveness is merely the method by which a certain moral value is reaffirmed.

Of course.. this is all speculation; and might make more sense if there was no hell and eternal torment--but that's not a necessary aspect to Christianity.. so, I guess it's oaky.

Quote:
One then must say that god cares about what happens on earth and it is of consequence,

I would venture to say he does..

Quote:
so then how can you be forgiven for visiting atrocity on it just as easily as anyone who never did?

What represents love more, the forgiveness of a son who ate a snack when you told him not to and he as apologize (i.e., repented), or the forgiveness of a son who has stolen struck you, yelled at you, stolen your car, yet, come home and apologized (i.e., repented)?

Quote:
So where does earth figure in all of god's thinking, really, does he care or not care? If he doesn't care then there should be no need for repentance, and if he does care then there should be no chance of repentance.

I would just disagree with this statement.

Accepting repentance does not (IMO) negatively affect the state of the world.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadtheGizmo wrote:Quote:

RhadtheGizmo wrote:

Quote:
hence the offer of deathbed forgiveness regardless of the sin, but if that's so why earth and why do you need forgiveness for what you've done on earth if earth was of no consequence anyway.

Well this is a different subject than the thread.

Let me just suggest one possibility... that earth is humanity's exploration of life that partially contrary to what God wants for us. 

this isn't an explanation, it's an excuse. Pardon God for acting in contradiction. It doesn't explain why the responsibility for the capricious folly of our earthly existence falls to us and it doesn't explain how capitulation to some equally fanciful ritualistic behaviour rectifies the contradiction.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

"Asking for forgiveness" is just another way of reaffirming one's knowledge of the value of X over Y.

Okay, so then repentance = the {re}- affirmation of accord with God's values then?

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

So.. while God's "willingness to forgive" is merely is acknowledgement that the person places X over Y.  Heaven, or salvation, will be for only those people that put X over Y.. if they don't, then, it would be contrary to God's will that to force them to be in a place where X has value over Y.

Far be it from God to act contrary again. But anyhow, we're still not getting to any actual dynamic between Man and God with this. I take it to be that sin is Y and salvation is X, but these are both egocentric hedonistic values, there's no difference between them ultimately. If there's no difference then there's no sense to the mechanism, according with God's values changes nothing.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Salvation, under this understanding, is merely God's respecting the choice of individual--i.e., if they want to live in a place where X is over Y--and forgiveness is merely the method by which a certain moral value is reaffirmed.

I suppose that you have added this qualification to avoid my retort above, but your qualification merely confirms it. The Salvation model echoes the Sin model, the accord is with what one desires, not God. In having stated this we can simply remove God, salvation and repentance and insert 'ascertainment' in place of them without changing the meaning. One ascertains their afterlife through the purest choice of what they desire to do with it, God is just a bystander.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Of course.. this is all speculation; and might make more sense if there was no hell and eternal torment--but that's not a necessary aspect to Christianity.. so, I guess it's oaky.

Well hell and torment can still be there, but God doesn't throw anything into it.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:
so then how can you be forgiven for visiting atrocity on it just as easily as anyone who never did?

What represents love more, the forgiveness of a son who ate a snack when you told him not to and he as apologize (i.e., repented), or the forgiveness of a son who has stolen struck you, yelled at you, stolen your car, yet, come home and apologized (i.e., repented)?

This again bypasses the object of giving a mechanism by which calling on Jesus name gets one into heaven.

Just to be clear, I'm not meaning to say that there is no reason to justify forgiveness of sin by God, (though I understand why you might have got that from my last post) I'm not playing the jealous brother here, my question is as to how the son knocking on the door to be let in is to be separated from the once son knocking on the door to be told he is a stranger simply by virtue of the infamous 'in the name of christ' incantation during one's lifetime. We're not talking about just any old generic 'I'm genuinely sorry I did that' here, this is about the special sorry, the 'pour your holy spirit upon me I let jesus into my heart!' sorry. To what end does this incantation make the ultimate difference between the brothers? What are the tangible referents, in terms of earth life, to these ritual sayings.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the catholic faith do

In the catholic faith do unsaved and unbaptized children go to hell? Luckily, my family growing up was not religious, however, my siblings now are pretty pious. My sister is catholic but we rarely discuss religion. I think it keeps our relationship stronger that way. I could ask her but that would dredge up a conversation I don't want to get involved with.

I am not sure I could classify birth as a sin. This is just a consequence of the original sin idea. Some say that blaspemy of the holy spirit is the only unforgivable sin. I challenge that and say that the only unforgiveable sin (according to the bible) is the sin of disbelief. Perhaps you can say the holy ghost is a douche bag and still attain salvation, maybe not. Actually, I could give a crap less. I don't understand how disbelief can be a sin. Again, sin is just some crazy word theists use to dazzle the masses to accepting their lame religions. Most people deny the existence of UFOs, bigfoot and leprechauns but still believe that mankind is sinful because some of our ancestors ate from some magical tree.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:In the

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

In the catholic faith do unsaved and unbaptized children go to hell? Luckily, my family growing up was not religious, however, my siblings now are pretty pious. My sister is catholic but we rarely discuss religion. I think it keeps our relationship stronger that way. I could ask her but that would dredge up a conversation I don't want to get involved with.

I am not sure I could classify birth as a sin. This is just a consequence of the original sin idea. Some say that blaspemy of the holy spirit is the only unforgivable sin. I challenge that and say that the only unforgiveable sin (according to the bible) is the sin of disbelief. Perhaps you can say the holy ghost is a douche bag and still attain salvation, maybe not. Actually, I could give a crap less. I don't understand how disbelief can be a sin. Again, sin is just some crazy word theists use to dazzle the masses to accepting their lame religions. Most people deny the existence of UFOs, bigfoot and leprechauns but still believe that mankind is sinful because some of our ancestors ate from some magical tree.

Since they decided to get rid of Limbo, I'm not sure where they put those kids.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unbaptized babies go to heaven

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Unbaptized babies go to heaven now.

http://www.cathnews.com/news/704/108.php

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Regarding point 1: Well, okay. So I can only ask for forgiveness while I'm still an organic body on Earth? Is there a reason behind this? God doesn't forgive you after you pass away?

nope. life here on earth is the test of your faith.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Regarding point 2: And what if I *am* genuinely sorry? Surely Ted Bundy was genuinely sorry after he was sat down in the electric chair.

apparently god would know this... you know those big words for all powerful and all knowing.  i brought up the part about god knowing the "truth"  though to address your question on why a christian could not just give lip service to the 'i'm sorry' line.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Regarding point 3: I don't understand the concept of purgatory, either. According to everything I've read, you confess, God removes your sins, you go the Heaven. (http://christiananswers.net/q-dml/dml-y027.html - "You understand what guilt is, but I don’t believe you fully grasp the greatness of God’s forgiveness. I want you to understand that when you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, God promised that He would never stop forgiving you, no matter what you do wrong.&quotEye-wink

If you don't confess, you're sullied by your sins, and you go to Hell.

Where does purgatory fit into that?

you've been forgiven but you haven't done your penance yet.  purgatory is a place to do that.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:Unbaptized babies

TomJ wrote:

i wonder if they would also admit that the argument for allowing unbaptized infants and those born before the time of christ into heaven is also an argument for allowing those that never hear of him today in.  in other words, why waste all the time and inevitable disease spreading of missionary work if the good people are already saved.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:I was

Boon Docks wrote:

I was brought up in a strict catholic family, could be the reason I found my Atheism was best.  I was told that babies are born with a sin on their soul and therefore needed to be baptized to remove this bad sin.  Is this supposed to be "the sin of birth"?  I guess I never really understood this one particular sin. 

the original sin was a sin of death that was so great adam passed his action down to his descendants.  while it could be seen as paying a tab for a meal we never received, it could also be argued that this is similar to hereditary conditions. 

i'm way to good at this theist stuff.  it's starting to scare me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:TomJ

shelleymtjoy wrote:

TomJ wrote:

i wonder if they would also admit that the argument for allowing unbaptized infants and those born before the time of christ into heaven is also an argument for allowing those that never hear of him today in.  in other words, why waste all the time and inevitable disease spreading of missionary work if the good people are already saved.

If that's the case isn't missionary work downright evil? Not only are they using the resources, spreading disease and such, but there is no way 100% of the people they spread the word to are going to believe it. This means they are causing people to go to hell who would otherwise go to heaven.

There was someone said something regarding this once - forget who.

Eskimo: "If I never heard of Jesus would I go to hell?"

Missionary: "No."

Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Sin vs. shame

I think it would be a sin or at least a crying shame if someone drank my last beer.

Jiggles Vibe
User is offlineOffline
born to sin

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

We're born to sin. Being born is a sin on itself.

Call to theists, lets worship Lucifer, at least he lets us be ourselves.

"The longer you live the higher you fly,
the smiles you'll give and the tears you'll cry,
all you touch and all you see,
is all your life will ever be."
-Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.

Jiggles Vibe
User is offlineOffline
Jiggles Vibe

Jiggles Vibe wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

We're born to sin. Being born is a sin on itself.

Call to theists, lets worship Lucifer, at least he lets us be ourselves.

I forgot this, SEX, DRUGS, & ROCK'N'ROLL!!

"The longer you live the higher you fly,
the smiles you'll give and the tears you'll cry,
all you touch and all you see,
is all your life will ever be."
-Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
It’s a conflation of

In short the question is :
Are we saved via believe (accepting jesus) or deeds they suck for Christians both because :

A)If you believe in jesus you can sin do wothever you wont and you get to haven congratulation you find Hitler in haven and every single evil person so why not murder steal and believe in god ?

B) You are saved via deeds OK why believe then in god ? If its irrelevant to salvation ?

To purgatory  its more like middle age enlighten  fixing ridicules bronze age rezoning why torture forever what’s the point where the love ? And middle age primitive theologians fixed up the contradiction making a finite purification period (the time depends on your sin point score or something ) before heaven its more like trying to eliminate the eternal hell torture thing with something more logical Laughing out loud. In short the pope is smarter then god and fixes god.

BTW: Babies go to purgatory 

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paraphrase the Hollys (1967)

Dear Eloise, I am writing to say     I  heard that a funny thing happen this thread.     I heard your a theist     But just not today, I read your five post and they     just seam to say,     The post on this thread seam to say "get the theist label off your name and tell it like it is."  Join us non-believers, you mostly have,   and tell everyone.

I believe I have mentioned this before.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote: In short the

carx wrote:

In short the question is :
Are we saved via believe (accepting jesus) or deeds they suck for Christians both because :

A)If you believe in jesus you can sin do wothever you wont and you get to haven congratulation you find Hitler in haven and every single evil person so why not murder steal and believe in god ?

B) You are saved via deeds OK why believe then in god ? If its irrelevant to salvation ?

The Christian is going to say you need both because it's belief in god that provides the path to salvation... and this whole words not deeds thing is an incorrect representation of the true concept of sin.  Theoretically god should know if you are truly sorry and in that case you will at least try not to do it again.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     

Jeffrick wrote:

Dear Eloise, I am writing to say     I  heard that a funny thing happen this thread.     I heard your a theist     But just not today, I read your five post and they     just seam to say,     The post on this thread seam to say "get the theist label off your name and tell it like it is."  Join us non-believers, you mostly have,   and tell everyone.

LOL, yeah you have mentioned it before Jeffrick, I've said from the start that I have far more affinity for the atheist position than I have for popular theism, but I do have a god belief and hence I fit the definition behind the label. You could probably say that I am theist more in a technical than colloquial sense, and, to coin one of the RRS's most clever standard arguments, I am an atheist in respect to many popular conceptions of god.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Jeffrick

Eloise wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

LOL, yeah you have mentioned it before Jeffrick, I've said from the start that I have far more affinity for the atheist position than I have for popular theism, but I do have a god belief and hence I fit the definition behind the label. You could probably say that I am theist more in a technical than colloquial sense, and, to coin one of the RRS's most clever standard arguments, I am an atheist in respect to many popular conceptions of god.

Search your feelings, Eloise! You know the truth!

If only you knew the power of the Dark Side...

Join us!

Quote:

February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
About cool Eloise, I've

About cool Eloise, I've asked these same questions, and said give her the Pantheism  badge she wants.  But it is helpful that all "theists" feel welcome here, and so again thanks for putting up with that tag,  pretty kind smart teacher Eloise.     

( hot for teacher! 

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Self Loathing...

totus_tuus wrote:
I think that the Christian concept of sin springs from the realization that there is something intrinsically wrong with humanity. 

This illustrates the (perhaps justifiable) self loathing of the theistic mindset. It seems to me that unearned and unjustified guilt is the mainstay of christianity, it's reason to exist. I think the 'realization' is a false one, humanity is NOT intrinsically evil, humanity is just that, humanity.

totus_tuus wrote:
Few people will deny that history demonstrates that man is capable of heinous evil.

But will you deny that history is also replete with magnificent accomplishments, selfless atruistic acts of kindness and a tendency to recognize and correct errors as we grow as a people???

totus_tuus wrote:
Sin, then consists not only of offenses agianst God, but also of offenses against the dignity of other humans. 

Sin consists of offending a non-existent god...

totus_tuus wrote:
That this notion pre-dated Moses id undoubtedly true, but human nature being what it is, these "laws" required codification so that the old "Nobody told me it was wrong" excuse wouldn't operate.

We codify laws because we have shifted from small family groups to larger societies. Rule by fiat simply doesn't work beyond the family group. 

totus_tuus wrote:
I think that the concept of "once saved, always saved" is quite obviously error.  Repentance must be accompanied by a firm purpose of amendment.  Being sorry for an offense, whether against God, the state, or another human individual does no good in and of itself if the offender keeps exhibiting the same offensive behavior but simply apologizes for each transgression.  Even humans expect offenders to mdify their behavior for an apology to be effective.  Further, where possible, one must try to set things upset by their actions to rights once more.

To clarify a point made in a previous point by pauljohntheskpetic, venial sins are sins which do not turn us totally away from God, while mortal sins are those by which we place our ultimate end in some creature to the extent that we turn from God.  Those sins, the mortal ones, are those which will send us to Hell.  Both types of sin can be forgiven by sacramnetal confession, or by the sinner realizing true contrition for those sins; true contrition being repentance for those sins out of true sorrow for having offended God, rather than out of fear of punishment.  Since most folks have a genuine attchment to certain sins, that is, they are predisposed towards certain acts by nature of their personality, or by habit, true contrition is difficult to achieve.

There is no need for salvation, as there is no hell. I don't need forgivness from someone that doesn't exist, for crimes that don't matter.

I can't repent, I never pented in the first place.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah wise Louis. I try to

Yeah wise Louis.

I try to turn religious jargon againt religion. I say "salvation" is abandoning all religion of idol worship and separation. What a crime against story Jesus simple message of All is ONE, xainity is. Religion is "sin", meaning wrong. What a sinful thing it is to brainwash children into any of the 3 dogmas of God of Abraham religions.

All of the religious dogma folks indeed need "repent".  Fuck you religious "hypocrites", said boldly, a wise bad ass story Jesus.

Heaven is NOW, religion is HELL ....((( echo's of a "Jesus",  yin yang said another .... 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Wow.. I can't believe I

Wow.. I can't believe I never responded to this.

1000 apologies Eloise

It's been awhile.. so I apologize for any fogginess on my responses..

Quote:
this isn't an explanation, it's an excuse. Pardon God for acting in contradiction. It doesn't explain why the responsibility for the capricious folly of our earthly existence falls to us and it doesn't explain how capitulation to some equally fanciful ritualistic behaviour rectifies the contradiction.

(a) "Responsibility for the capricious folly of our earthly existence falls to us"

You and your fancy words and alluring syntax.

Who else would it fall upon?  I may not understand your contention

(b) "Capitulation to some ..."

I never said that that ritual = salvation.  Merely, instead, that man's "asking for forgiveness" represents something (placing X over Y) and God's "willingness to forgive" represents something about God's character.

It is not a cause and effect relationship.  Not physics.  Each one is a choice.  One's choice to "ask for forgiveness" (in whatever way he may do so, to whomever/whatever he think it may think it is suppose to be made to) and God's "willingness to forgive" (i.e.., understanding the action as a reflection of the individuals true desire and accepting it as sufficient).

I'm trying to make this as inclusive as possible because I believe that if God is truly a God of love, then his system would be as inclusive as possible.

(For anyone that feels the needs to argue issues that "anything is possible" because God is omnipotent.. please don't.  I grow tired of it..)

Quote:
Okay, so then repentance = the {re}- affirmation of accord with God's values then?

Correct.

Quote:
Far be it from God to act contrary again. But anyhow, we're still not getting to any actual dynamic between Man and God with this. I take it to be that sin is Y and salvation is X, but these are both egocentric hedonistic values, there's no difference between them ultimately. If there's no difference then there's no sense to the mechanism, according with God's values changes nothing.

I don't understand.

I never said Y is sin nor that salvation is X.  Y is merely one value, X is another.

Now, we may argue over whether one value has value over another value (and therefore there is a difference between the two), but is this really what was meant to be argued?

Like I said.. I'm not sure I understand your contention.

Quote:
I suppose that you have added this qualification to avoid my retort above, but your qualification merely confirms it. The Salvation model echoes the Sin model, the accord is with what one desires, not God. In having stated this we can simply remove God, salvation and repentance and insert 'ascertainment' in place of them without changing the meaning. One ascertains their afterlife through the purest choice of what they desire to do with it, God is just a bystander.

Once again, I do not understand.

If what God wants that one have what he desires.. and one get what he desires, in part, through the "ascertainment" gained through the human experience (life in general, not an individual one).. what is wrong with that?

Quote:
Well hell and torment can still be there, but God doesn't throw anything into it.

True.

Although.. I would argue that hell and torment are not the opposite of life heaven and salvation.  Therefore, not being the logical opposite, were not a necessary creation to any positive opposite., e.g., "ability to punch requires ability not to punch."

Quote:
This again bypasses the object of giving a mechanism by which calling on Jesus name gets one into heaven.

Just to be clear, I'm not meaning to say that there is no reason to justify forgiveness of sin by God, (though I understand why you might have got that from my last post) I'm not playing the jealous brother here, my question is as to how the son knocking on the door to be let in is to be separated from the once son knocking on the door to be told he is a stranger simply by virtue of the infamous 'in the name of christ' incantation during one's lifetime. We're not talking about just any old generic 'I'm genuinely sorry I did that' here, this is about the special sorry, the 'pour your holy spirit upon me I let jesus into my heart!' sorry. To what end does this incantation make the ultimate difference between the brothers? What are the tangible referents, in terms of earth life, to these ritual sayings.

Argument has merit.

However, I don't believe I have made the argument that "incantation of christ" is necessary to be "let into the house."

I would argue that the "genuineness" of the repentance is the measure of being let in.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Actually, Kevin, most

Actually, Kevin, most Christian denominations stray quite far from the Bible on the matter of sin, hell, etc.

Here's how it boils down:

A)God set down 10 basic guidelines on stone tablets for Moses. These consisted of 3 'Hey! I am your boss!' and 7 'Don't screw with one another' guidelines. The 7, more likely than not, were considered common-sense, but also helped codify the Jewish system of property inheritance.

Often, these Commandments are lazily/sloppily translated.

Examples:

"Thou Shalt Not Kill". No, actually, it's 'You will not murder'. Difference? Well, killing in self-defense is allowed, as is killing in military campaigns, or defending someone else, etc etc. With no distinction for 'manslaughter', this pretty much puts that commandment about on par with our current concept of when killing is or isn't allowed.

"Thou Shalt Not Covet" (wife/goods). THIS DOES NOT MEAN LUST. What does it mean? Do not conspire to take your neighbor's property or his wife; ie: these are prohibitions against actively making plans to do these things. The wife, especially, since children inherit from the father, but the only irrefutable parentage is the mother.

Note: Adultery's a separate one because its intent is 'don't step out on YOUR spouse'.

"Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against They Neighbor" is often interpreted as "Thou Shalt Not Lie". But it's not. It's actually a far, far simpler concept. See, "lies" includes fiction, such as parables, etc. Nobody's gonna tell you 'only say what is literally true. use no fictional examples'. Instead, the prohibition is against leveling false accusations, or lying to support an accusation. False WITNESS. It's bad, mmkay?

B)Hell.

HAH.

There is no "Hell". The Bible never talks of Hell. Hell doesn't exist. For that matter, everyone who's died? IS DEAD. Not kicking it in heaven. The saints can't do squat to help out. Why? THEY'RE JUST DEAD. According to the Bible, even!

See, Revelations tells us that when the world faces the final Judgment, THEN all the dead will arise and be given new bodies. Before that? THEY'RE JUST DEAD. Jesus kept referring to it as 'asleep', not 'chillax'in with the Big Dog'.

Anyway, as far as Hell goes? Same deal: It ain't there. When the Judgment comes, then 'The Beast' (an entity separate from and different than 'the Serpent' and/or 'Satan') gets tossed into Gehenna, "the fire that burns for an age", along with all those Judged unworthy. The Fire lasts 1,000 years, at which time they're annihilated. Seems kinda cruel to me, but there you go. No eternal torment.

Meanwhile, the faithful and those judged worthy, get to live in a perfect world (the 'New Jerusalem', 'a new heaven and a new Earth' thing. Just a reset of Earth to the un-tainted template.) without death, which was, after all, not in the original model.

C)Sin.

HAH more!

Remember the old line 'the wages of sin... is death'? That's it. That's ALL THERE IS TO IT.

You fuck up, you displease God, who is all-powerful and without whom, your ass would still be in Egypt because your ancestors never woulda got out (note: from the perspective of biblical authors), you know what it gets you? DEAD. Somehow, eventually, God decides 'enough', and smites you dead. No hell until Judgment. You's just DEAD, homeslice.

The nature of 'sin'?

Real simple: Obedience and submission before the Will of God is virtuous. All else is sin.

And btw...

Sin and 'The Judgment'? NOT. A. FACTOR.

Check it: in the Gospels, Christ uses the parable of the sheep and the goats to warn people that they'll be judged based no on the beliefs they profess, but on the things they do.

Or, to misquote Batman Begins: It's not who they are inside, but what they do that defines them.

Paul, significantly, directly contradicts this, claiming that by faith alone will folks be saved. But the Gospels explicitly say the very opposite. And more, so does Revelations, where the Goats & the Sheep is repeated with the fate of all those who ever lived: Did you do good for others? Good. If not, light 'em up!

Note that 'martyrs' for the faith are given a free pass, and actually help out with the role of jury here... but that's NOT a matter of 'faith' saving them; again, it's Works: They were willing to die to help others hear the words of the Messiah.

So, in the end, it's not one system, it's two that are often confused and tangled around one another:

First System:

Don't be a deusch, or eventually God will notice and KILL your ass.

Second System:

When the end of the world comes, the folks who did get dead will all get up and get dressed. God will then call everyone to be Judged on how well they put the needs of others ahead of their own. If you showed at least minimal concern for others, everything's fine. If, on the other hand, you have more consistently ignored suffering than tried to help alleviate it... it's 1,000 years of pain and torment, possibly a kind of karmic restitution for the pain and suffering you *could* have prevented during your life, and then BOOM, you're gone again.

But the two sets of behavior, though overlapping in massive broad-strokes principle, aren't equivalent.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"I would argue that the

"I would argue that the "genuineness" of the repentance is the measure of being let in."  ~  RhadTheGizmo

Another might say "Awake" , or "the Christ in me" ,  or "I am GOD" ,

..... or even give it no intense thought at all !

until religion arrives ! as most usually .....

Ever talk to dogs, whistle to birds !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9M_5aTRvE

>   every one AWAKE cries   <

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I think there are

I think there are some misconceptions about sin floating around out there. I dont think I've heard anything in this post that I agree with yet. You dont have to believe that the fall of Adam is real to understand sin.  Sin is best defined as selfishness that causes harm to yourself or others.  If you dont consider it to be a "whammy" that is placed on man from the fall, its easier to believe in.  I think that is the best way they had to describe it back then - "original sin. "

To answer a major misconception about christianity, you dont get to do whatever you want in life and then say your sorry at the end to get a pass into heaven. I admit when you put it all together, it appears that way. In reality, everything you do good or bad counts for all eternity. In short, you go to heaven or hell based on who you trust, but what its like when you get there is based on what youve done in your life.  To add to that, God does not throw people in hell just because they didnt trust him. Nobody trusts him. Its unnatural. All he asks is that people seek to do whats right. If they do, eventually they will come to believe.

So true repentance like true faith is impossible without God. Nobody wants to repent for the right reasons totally. We all are just sorry for getting caught most of the time. Real repentance leads to change in action. The more you choose to do wrong, the more the conscience is seared, and the less likely you will be to "want to want" to repent. The more you choose to do right, the more acute your conscience gets, the more likely you are to want to want to repent. At some point, God completes the act of repentance for you, and you will have faith.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is sin

Simply put a  transgression against god. That's all, what that transgression is, all depends on the INTERPRETATION of the holy book of said religion, and the person making the accusations of sin against said person. Sin is so BROAD and all depends on the era your in, what location in the world your talking about, what religion, what sect of said religion, the hatred or animosity between the accuser and the accussed. It all changes, if you have blood your sinning, you live you have the original sin, if you look at a woman with lust it's a sin, you look at a woman's face with whom you are not married it's a sin, if you are envious it's a sin, if your jealous it's a sin, if you wish ill towards others it is a sin, if you work on the sabbath it's a sin, if you have consensual sex it's a sin, if you have sex at all it's a sin (depending on the person) if you do practically anything that the accuser does not want you to do it's a sin, and God never comes out and tells you it's a sin, it is always someone else, god doesn't say shit...then again beings that never present themselves or cannot speak on their own behalf can't tell ya it's a sin because they are not capable of communicating, how odd an all powerful being capable of creating the universe but cannot communicate directly with humans unless it's in their head......really all powerful being)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I think there are some

Quote:

I think there are some misconceptions about sin floating around out there. I dont think I've heard anything in this post that I agree with yet. You dont have to believe that the fall of Adam is real to understand sin.  Sin is best defined as selfishness that causes harm to yourself or others.

Oh? And where did you come by this 'best' definition, pray tell?

I presume you heard it from a true Scotsman? Sticking out tongue

Quote:

To answer a major misconception about christianity, you dont get to do whatever you want in life and then say your sorry at the end to get a pass into heaven. I admit when you put it all together, it appears that way.

Yeah, it does. Funny about that, eh? I mean, the religion preaches that Jesus will forgive you for anything you do, all you have to do is ask. Right?

So it seems to me that it 'appears' that way, because, well, that's the way it's sold to people. But let's hear out your apologetics anyway...

Quote:

In reality, everything you do good or bad counts for all eternity. In short, you go to heaven or hell based on who you trust, but what its like when you get there is based on what youve done in your life.  To add to that, God does not throw people in hell just because they didnt trust him. Nobody trusts him. Its unnatural. All he asks is that people seek to do whats right. If they do, eventually they will come to believe.

He's makin' a list, he's checkin' it twice...

So I will go to Heaven or Hell 'based on who I trust' (?), but the characteristics of Heaven or Hell change based on what I've done? How bizarre. Heaven and Hell are basically in quantum states then, shifting between 'paradise' and 'eternal pit of damnation and suffering' based on what the last few people to come in did with their lives?

You also allude that every single good person (all the people who seek to do what's right) will eventually become Christian. Are you saying, then, that there's not a single atheist who has sought to do good?

Quote:

So true repentance like true faith is impossible without God.

Aye. And a true Scotsman never puts sugar in their porridge.

Quote:

Nobody wants to repent for the right reasons totally. We all are just sorry for getting caught most of the time. Real repentance leads to change in action. The more you choose to do wrong, the more the conscience is seared, and the less likely you will be to "want to want" to repent. The more you choose to do right, the more acute your conscience gets, the more likely you are to want to want to repent. At some point, God completes the act of repentance for you, and you will have faith.

Are you kidding? People are genuinely sorry all the time! We're programmed to be genuinely sory / guilty when we do bad stuff. 'Your conscience is seared'? Well, you're obviously trying to get away with conflating 'conscience' and 'soul' (not this time. Nice try, though) - and you cannot use elements of your own absurd mythology to support other elements of itself. That's called 'circular reasoning'. I read the last part as saying, 'The more you cave-in to the scare stories of Christianity, the more real they become to you, and eventually you're just all too happy to let the church lead around on a leash.' 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Shitrock
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...So

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...So God basically wrote down a bunch of stuff on Moses's tablets and declared them 'sinful'. You can't break these laws and, if you do, you go to Hell.

Of course, us silly human beings break these laws all the time, so - thankfully for us - Jesus came down and got nailed to a chunk of wood so that we could be forgiven. All we have to do is ask.

This makes zero sense to me as an ethical philosophy. Never mind the scare tactic; how is it ethically reasonable that I can do whatever terrible things I want, but can get the ultimate reward (in the form of Heaven) by simply asking for Jesus's forgiveness? In what way does such a system propose to keep humans 'moral'?

At best, it seems like it's a superficial inconvenience. 'Oh, gee, Jesus - I'm real sorry about kicking-off the Holocaust like that. Can you forgive me?' 'Of course, Adolf. Come on in and pull-up a chair.'

Explain your moral mechanism to me, since I apparently can't figure-out the how and why behind it's operators.

you are arguing on the assumption that all theists believe the bible is literal which is not the case.  also the christian belief is that in order to get to heaven one cannot just ask for forgiveness.  one has to be genuinely remorseful for the things they have done.  therefore adolf doesnt go to heaven just for asking.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:you are arguing on the

Quote:

you are arguing on the assumption that all theists believe the bible is literal which is not the case.

So the Bible isn't literal (and I'm certainly with you on that)... but Heaven is literal, and Hell is literal, and God is a literal being that exists? How odd. And what criteria did you use to seperate the mythical stuff from the factual stuff, pray tell?

Quote:

also the christian belief is that in order to get to heaven one cannot just ask for forgiveness.  one has to be genuinely remorseful for the things they have done.

So, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate with you:

Let's say Adolf actually was, in the end, genuinely sorry for all his misgivings. If the last mortal thing he did before shooting himself was to break down in tears and tell Jesus with all sincerity for all his wrongs, and that he'd undo it all if he could, would that give him a pass into eternal paradise?

Quote:

February 27, 1940