Your Opinion: Media Bias in Democratic Race?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your Opinion: Media Bias in Democratic Race?

Against my better judgment, I watched some CNBC, FAUX, and MSNBC this morning.  All three were covering the Democratic race, and despite what I've been hearing for several weeks, all three seemed to have the same talking points: Hillary is looking really good.  She's got a great chance to win.  She'd be the best Dem candidate.

Check me on this, but this seems to contradict reality on several points:

1) Unless things have drastically changed, isn't it going to be nearly impossible for her to get enough superdelegates to win?

2) If the media wants her to win, isn't that a really good indication that she's not a good dem candidate? 

3) Considering how close her political stances are to McCain's, does anyone besides me smell a rat?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Against my

Hambydammit wrote:

Against my better judgment, I watched some CNBC, FAUX, and MSNBC this morning.  All three were covering the Democratic race, and despite what I've been hearing for several weeks, all three seemed to have the same talking points: Hillary is looking really good.  She's got a great chance to win.  She'd be the best Dem candidate.

1) Unless things have drastically changed, isn't it going to be nearly impossible for her to get enough superdelegates to win?

2) If the media wants her to win, isn't that a really good indication that she's not a good dem candidate? 

3) Considering how close her political stances are to McCain's, does anyone besides me smell a rat?

i swear it was 2 days ago and CNN was saying Clinton had only a 5% chance of actually beating Obama...

...so wtf?

1. Yes

2. I dont know any more

3. Its politic's...

What Would Kharn Do?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

Where are you getting that impression about the "media". That is not what I am getting, they all say, at least what I am hearing, is that she cant win the nomination, just as you said here.

What they are speculating on is what she would have to do in the utopian scenerio to still have a shot. The pundints are saying that she has to not only continue until the convention, but to convince the super Ds she has a better shot of beating McCain and figure out a way to seat FLA and Mich and at the same time hope that Obama has a huge gaff.

At least that is what I am getting from those same stations. I think they are not saying that she will win the nomination. I think they are speculating about the impossible rabbit she would have to pull out of her hat to get the nomination.

I think everyone knows that Obama will get it. I think it would be a disaster for her to get it for the party to win in November.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
My suspicion is that they're

My suspicion is that they're encouraging Hillary to try to create a sense of loss when Obama wins.  If they get behind Hillary and Obama wins, they'll be able to create the impression that the dems got the second best candidate.  That could go a long way in the presidential election.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:My

Hambydammit wrote:

My suspicion is that they're encouraging Hillary to try to create a sense of loss when Obama wins.  If they get behind Hillary and Obama wins, they'll be able to create the impression that the dems got the second best candidate.  That could go a long way in the presidential election.

That could be a PR tactic that the Republican supporters are feeding the media, but that is not mean it is a media tactic. And yes, I have seen those same channels speculate about the "hidden agenda" of the Republicans. Politics is dirty no matter how you slice it.

My speculation independent of the current status is that no matter who wins the Dem nomination, and I hope I am wrong, but I suspect that because Fla Dems will feel disinfranchized either way, because of the loss of seats, half will stay at home if their Democratic hopeful isn't nominated. If Hillary were to pull that rabbit out of her hat, the Obama Supporters would stay home in Fla.

They are still stinging over the 2,000 ellection.

That key state is going to suffer in the general for either Dem and may have already cost them the ellection by moving the primary. I hope not because 4 more years of a Bush clone is not my idea of fun.

I really think Hillary's only chance is to convince the other camp of a VP spot. He gets demographics she cant get and she gets demographics he cant get. I think without each other McCain, who is lukewarm in his own party, has an equal, if slightly better chance of winning because of the flawed process on the democratic side.

Which is scary, because before Super Tuesday both Obama and Clinton were getting each on their own almost a 2 to one vote over McCain. I think the problem is that the process got too personal and people are getting worn out by it. I know I am.

I hope this disaster can be patched up for the general, but either way I think the division could be a problem in the general election no matter who gets the nomination.

I think the Dems are handing McCain an election they had in the bag that was a sure thing last year and blew it with the way they handled the current primaries. Again, the only thing I can think that will put the Dems in now is to continue to hound on the high gas prices and being stuck in an unwinable war instead of focusing on each other. I hope it is not too late, but it may be.

I certainly hope this is not a scorched earth tactic by Hillary so she can try in 4 years again rather than to wait 8 years.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

According to http://superdelegates.org/Main_Page there are 796 DNC superdelegates

Uncommitted: 195
Clinton: 291
Obama: 319

Quote:

It seems to me the media is split. My take is they either don't know who to push for or they are being neutral.

Quote:

I'm always suspicious of guileful activity, but I can't smell any. Maybe they are so sophisticated now as to be undetectable

But I think Clinton will triumph

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, I don't know what

Hamby, I don't know what shows you were watching, but the media has pretty much unequivocally said that she has almost no chance and the math is basically impossible to beat Obama through elected delegates. The super delegates he leads her, and her popular vote claim to have the most if you grant all of FLorida and Michigan without giving Obama any votes for Michigan...none. This is a very dishonest line of reasoning. As for the people on the news saying "she looks good" are her supporters, republican detractors of the democrats, and analysts saying her recent wins were "impressive" which is far different than compelling. She will not win, can not win without some miracle, like Obama dying or male page scandals. I think you have been watching the pundits, because every analyst I have seen says she can't win.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Update

TOTAL DELEGATES 

Barack ObamaPledged:1,648Superdelegates305Total:1,953

Hillary ClintonPledged:1,493Superdelegates277Total:1,770

Election Center »Needed to Win: 2,026

"The one-time long shot for the Democratic nomination has a majority of pledged delegates to the Democratic Convention and is now about 70 delegates shy of the finish line."

"Clinton, who desperately needs to have both the Florida and Michigan delegations seated in accordance with their January primary results, is demanding a resolution. Meanwhile, Obama says he is in favor of seating the disputed delegations, but needless to say does not agree with Clinton's proposed remedy.

The Democratic National Committee will address the delegation disputes when it meets on May 31 in Washington.

But with only two weeks and three contests remaining, Clinton's window of opportunity is quickly closing. Her fate -- as well as Obama's -- now rests with the dwindling pool of uncommitted superdelegates who will ultimately choose the party's nominee."

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or, another way of putting

Quote:
But with only two weeks and three contests remaining, Clinton's window of opportunity is quickly closing. Her fate -- as well as Obama's -- now rests with the dwindling pool of uncommitted superdelegates who will ultimately choose the party's nominee."

Or, another way of putting it...

Your vote really doesn't count.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

1) According to the CBC, it is now mathematically impossible for her to win on straight delegates and something pretty bizarre would have to happen with the superdelegates given that so many of them have been declaring for Obama lately. She needs a perfect storm of crushing wins in the last four states, almost every remaining superdelegate rallying to her and the inclusion of Florida and Michigan in the convention without a revote in those states. Not gonna happen.

2) Here's my theory: the best thing for the Republicans right now is if this battle goes on right to the convention. But it looks like the writing is on the wall for Clinton to the extent that Obama is starting to concentrate on praising her, trying to unify the Dems and attack McCain. If those media are really biased against the Dems, their bizarre comments may be an attempt to encourage Clinton to stay in the race, further weakening the Democrat chances in the election.

3) I wouldn't put anything past the US media any more. They abandoned objective reporting in favour of infotainment a long time ago.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've said it before, the

I've said it before, the Democrats always seem to find some way to sabotage themselves.

The primary has been settled for a while now, it was pretty clear Hillary couldn't make up the lost ground moths ago, now it is sceamingly obvious. But she'll continue on and run the entire party into the ground sooner than quit.

And of course the media will encourage it, because we all stop to watch a fight.

You can hardly blame them for capitalizing on such things, we eat it up.

Personally, I think it is obvious Hillary is sticking it out in hopes of capitulation. She wants things to be as close as possible, even though she knows she cannot win (not even if FL and Mich are seated). She wants the VP spot, or her debts paid, or both, and the longer she stays in the more likely that will happen. I've never liked her, especially since she jumped on the violent video game band wagon a few years ago. She simply comes off as completely disengenuine. But I digress.

In the end, the media isn't the problem for the Dems, the Dems are the problem for the Dems - as has typically been the case.

I find it hillarious that there is a strong possibility that infighting could result in a party that should be gauranteed the POTUS failing yet again (and FL being one of the lynch pins, again). I also find worrisome and sad, but mostly hillarious.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.