"Anthroficial" should be added to the dictionary, your thoughts?

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
"Anthroficial" should be added to the dictionary, your thoughts?

Why do creationists have their pants tied in a knot ever Evolution?  Those devout believers wish to continue thinking that man and the rest of the animal world are somehow magically divided.  Our language reflects this pretty well, marking everything that isn't man-made as natural and everything that is as "artificial".  Speaking as a naturalist, I find this pretty foolish.  Evolution has shown that man and other animals have a common ancestor, biology shows we are made of the same 'stuff' as other species.  We are natural beings, and though we should be rather proud for the level of potential intelligence and civility, we shouldn't loose sight that there is no magical wall that divides man from animal.

I recently made a quip about peacocks mating habits resulting in the males tail feathers as 'peacock-o-ficial" but I am rather serious about the word "Anthroficial", or something like it.  Not a word with the context of "made not of nature but of man" but instead "From nature, or to be more specific, humans".  Ultimately "Artificial" and "Anthroficial" mean the same thing, but the context of "Artificial" is, frankly, unscientific... suggesting that somthing has been taken *out* of nature by alteration from human hands. I know it may sound petty, and maybe it is, but language helps shape our concepts, and our concepts need some help.

Anyway, I mostly look forward to critiques, somthing I love about this place.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
JanCham wrote:Why do

JanCham wrote:

Why do creationists have their pants tied in a knot ever Evolution?  Those devout believers wish to continue thinking that man and the rest of the animal world are somehow magically divided.  Our language reflects this pretty well, marking everything that isn't man-made as natural and everything that is as "artificial".  Speaking as a naturalist, I find this pretty foolish.  Evolution has shown that man and other animals have a common ancestor, biology shows we are made of the same 'stuff' as other species.  We are natural beings, and though we should be rather proud for the level of potential intelligence and civility, we shouldn't loose sight that there is no magical wall that divides man from animal.

I recently made a quip about peacocks mating habits resulting in the males tail feathers as 'peacock-o-ficial" but I am rather serious about the word "Anthroficial", or something like it.  Not a word with the context of "made not of nature but of man" but instead "From nature, or to be more specific, humans".  Ultimately "Artificial" and "Anthroficial" mean the same thing, but the context of "Artificial" is, frankly, unscientific... suggesting that somthing has been taken *out* of nature by alteration from human hands. I know it may sound petty, and maybe it is, but language helps shape our concepts, and our concepts need some help.

Anyway, I mostly look forward to critiques, somthing I love about this place.

Whats ironic is JanCham doesnt realise that this is the exact same thing i did... with different words... that got us to this point in the first place! >.<

*ponders whether or not Doomy should critique Jan is the exact same fashion*

Nah... to lazy

But if i may make a threat

If you thought for 1 second that i was a creationist...you'd better hope that theres an all-powerful, all-loving deity, watching over your ass

just kidding...

>.>

or am i?

*do doooo do doo dooooooo*

What Would Kharn Do?