Christian Obsession with Sex (Part 398,432,102,486,871, 098)

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline

Last night my mother got upset with me for not being morally outraged over what consenting adults do with their bodies while naked.  She mentioned that my brother's best friend (who now lives in Oklahoma) is having orgies.  Why is this my business?  Why is it hers?

Morality has to do with what causes human suffering.  If the orgies are leading to disease (because someone isn't using protection) or if someone is cheating on a spouse or significant other--in other words, if the orgies are causing suffering--then yes, they are wrong. 

But Christians are so hung up over sex that they ignore other causes of suffering (wars, genocide, poverty) and focus on sex almost exclusively.  I call it "waist-down morality" and it's starting to really get on my nerves.  My mother is viewing me as amoral because I don't share her prejudices.

For reasons I won't go into, I'm not a particularly sexual creature.  I would not choose to go to an orgy.  I can also think of ways an orgy might cause real suffering (not the "faux" suffering that Christians try to stamp on anything that offends their prudish sensibilities),  but the fact of the matter is, it is none of my business what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes.  And it's none of my mother's business, either.

Why can't Christians just mind their own business?

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
sex is sexy

Oh, come on. No one likes war, no one likes genocide. Everyone likes sex, at least, thinking about it. Xians can't stop complaining about it because they like to think about it, and that's the only way they're allowed to think about it - condemning it.

BTW, this mega-church pastor was thinking about it... and then some.

Wrath (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
There are orgies in

There are orgies in Oklahoma? That must be why everything there closes at midnight. That must be when the orgies begin. I need to arrange another fight in Tulsa. I've been missing out.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:My

Iruka Naminori wrote:

My mother is viewing me as amoral because I don't share her prejudices.

Same here. It's really annoying that they think that they moral values are the only true and right.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
They're just jealous.  Why

They're just jealous.  Why can't we all have orgies?

It would sure decrease wars if us humans would just relax and "do" each other more often.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:They're just

Quote:

They're just jealous.  Why can't we all have orgies?

It would sure decrease wars if us humans would just relax and "do" each other more often.

Then again, the Romans had lots of orgies, and they were all about the wars.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Then

Hambydammit wrote:

Then again, the Romans had lots of orgies, and they were all about the wars.  

I've read about that.  But was that just the cultural elite or the common people?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't figure it out. I've

I can't figure it out. I've often wondered why they spend so much energy minding others' business rather than doing something more constructive. The religious nuts will spend an enormous amount of time and energy fighting against gay rights while spending little or no energy fighting for things that are of a more direct concern to them, such as dwindling public school fundings which might actually affect their own children. I guess it's just part of the whole irrational mentality. Apparently making yourself feel superior is more important than addressing practical matters.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Orgies are overrated

Orgies are overrated (believe me) and Roman orgies can't have been any different. Of course it's worth remembering too that the idea of Roman orgies as historical fact is very much courtesy of the Roman church. For some strange reason non-christian Roman sources mention the phenomenon very little or not at all.

Roman morals by the way, predicated as they were on a very strict patriarchal and honour-based code of ethics, were almost stricter in some regards than christian ethics. The code - while allowing licence for men to attend orgies - severely restricted potential female involvement, at least in the manner claimed by christian critics of Roman non-christians at the time and ultimately propagated as undeniable fact by modern commentators (the series "Rome" buying into the christian critical caricature of Roman society unquestioningly, I noticed).

A total aside, I know, from the discussion topic - but just a little historical correction in case others have been hoodwinked by learning their Roman history from the media.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Just a thought to the same

Just a thought to the same topic:

"If god hates sex so much, why didn't he make human reproduce via mitosis?" Laughing out loud

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:Just a thought

Fanas wrote:

"If god hates sex so much, why didn't he make human reproduce via mitosis?" Laughing out loud

Because then there'd be no need for men that supposedly looks like him.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Christianity is mostly a Roman thing. Jesus is little more than a hood ornament for the religion. Its un-Roman characteristics such as frowning on sex appear to have come from it having been a variation on primitive, genital mutilating Judaism, whatever that really was like back then.

I have no special insight into where Judaism came from but having found there is no physical evidence for the indigenous culture it describes and that the oldest mention of it is the Septuagint and Judeans/Jews do not appear in real history until the 2nd c. BC its inventors were clearly locals to Palestine. Palestine was on the crossroads of the trade route to Egypt since the 4th millennium BC. The civilized world had rejected body mutilation for centuries. Genital mutilation was a primitive to them as it is for us. Animal sacrifice was something tolerated in the rabble and beneath the contempt of educated people.

Some how someone was able to invent the Septuagint religion and get into a position to impose it on the people with the liberal use of public executions. If this had not become part of parcel of Christianity -- and the hood ornament was silent on sex save for adultery -- it is unlikely the religion would have attracted people with a psychotic dislike of sex.

So to affix the blame we probably have to look to some tribe from the region of modern Jordan conquering a small territory, inventing and imposing this religion and declaring themselves the priests of it thus explaining the cohenim gene. They would have done some time in the 2nd c. BC when the Asian Greeks had a bigger war to fight some place else.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:Just a thought

Fanas wrote:

Because God's an ass hole.

Why else would he genetically hardwire his creatures, including us, to want sex more than anything, more than food, sleep, or even life (male black widow spider) and then tell us we shouldn't do it, and punish us when our hardwiring overrides our will? How retarded is that?

Imagine how insane the Christians would get about the issue if we were more like our Bonobo relatives than the Common chimp. Imagine if rulers of countries used frot to avoid war. 

"A special form of frot called "rump rubbing" occurs to express reconciliation between two males after a conflict, where they stand back-to-back and rub their scrotal sacs together."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
The crux of the problem is

The crux of the problem is that theists lack a simple cause/effect understanding of morality.  For them, Morality is ll about authority, and the only important qualification of that morality is power... that is if they even think it though at all.  Ultimately it's a crime of ignorance.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.