Einstein's 'God' letter fetches $400,000

adams_antics
User is offlineOffline
Einstein's 'God' letter fetches $400,000

For those people that cling to the idea that Einstein believed in God, this should be the nail in the coffin on that argument:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24668015/

msnbc.com wrote:
In it, the Einstein said that "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

"For me," he added, "the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."

Some theists claim that "God does not play dice" implies Einstein believes in god, which has never made sense to me... I make similar suggestions all the time, such as "God hates me", jokingly, but that does not mean I believe in god.  The phrase "God does not play dice" has nothing to do with a belief in god, but "god" symbolizes ultimate knowledge, and "dice" symbolizes an unknown outcome.  It's symbolic, not a belief.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
In the context where he made

In the context where he made the god/dice statement he was having an argument with another scientist about something - he also happened to be wrong and later admitted so.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
From what I've heard,

From what I've heard, Einstein was a fan of Pantheism/Deism in the style of Newton/Spinoza/Paine.
He also criticised atheism but I think that was under the old "atheism = nihilism or apathy" assumption.
He was certainly not into Christian theism.

Paine's Age of Reason is on my list of things to read.
His arguments vs atheism should be interesting.
I've also get to get onto Spinoza sometime. 

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Einstein was very clever

Einstein was very clever with maths, and later in life showed to be shrewd enough to turn down an offer of the Israeli presidency. His views on other subjects however were not as clear cut as the "soundbites" often thrown up these days suggest.

He was purposefully ambivalent on the question of religion and god - coming down on both sides of the argument and none when questioned, just as he was about US politics, the Second World War, and almost anything else reporters asked him. But he was, despite recent claims to the contrary, rather naive in a media-savvy sense and left behind him a plethora of statements in the public domain that suffer enormously when stripped of their context.

In this he was a victim of his own success, and of the American media tendency to "lionize" people based on an easily transmittable trait. Being the archetypal (and available) "genius" must therefore have made Einstein's life something of a misery, and every time I see his "views" (often spoken off the cuff in response to an impertinent approach) being used to justify any stance on any subject outside of quantum physics I cringe on his behalf.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy