Einstein the atheist

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Einstein the atheist

A letter of Einstein's is about to go to auction in which he states categorically that he does not believe in God or follow any religion.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/05/13/einstein-religion.html?ref=rss

Of course, the jackass from Oxford tries to say that this doesn't mean Einstein was an atheist. Saying that in light of this letter coupled with the other evidence is tantamount to deliberate dishonesty.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:Of course,

Tilberian wrote:

Of course, the jackass from Oxford tries to say that this doesn't mean Einstein was an atheist. Saying that in light of this letter coupled with the other evidence is tantamount to deliberate dishonesty.

What do you expect? Atheists aren't exactly respected or loved anywhere, even in Canada. To sully the name of a great scientific mind who was an atheist by saying he's an atheist is pretty damn nasty by today's standards, it's close to sacrilege.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Of course, the jackass

Quote:

"Ahem... erm... um..

Well, you see, he wasn't an atheist in the sense of the word that means what I've construed the meaning of the term to mean in this particular instance... he was more non-religious, in the sense that he may not have believed in God, exactly, but he simply didn't accept the popular notion of god... which isn't to say that he didn't think it was possible... just that he didn't.. you know... he wasn't an atheist... he just didn't believe in god..."

In other breaking news, this guy's a douche.

Quote:
Brooke said Einstein believed "there is some kind of intelligence working its way through nature. But it is certainly not a conventional Christian or Judaic religious view."

I'm curious where he got this notion.  Everything I've read of Einstein's points to a metaphorical use of terms like "intelligent" to describe the universe.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fantastic

This definitely made my day. Einstein is a personal hero of mine and it gives me great joy to see that he is thwarting efforts to pervert his genius, even from beyond the grave.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE -- WE HAVE COOKIES

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Can they also auction off a

Can they also auction off a little 'Who gives a fuck'?

Felix (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The so-called expert on

The so-called expert on Einstein works for the Theological department and the Templeton Foundation. Is there anything these people will not ignore when it suits them? Einstein's views and parts of this letter had been publicized widely before, and yet Brooke, the lecturer on the history of science and leading expert, claims he'd not known it.

Remember folks, always double-check on anything anyone says that sounds like anyone had endorsed theism or denounced atheism. They will shamelessly quote-mine the best historians of the world when it suits their agenda, and apparently even people working at Oxford don't think twice about selectively quoting to misrepresent and distort the views of people who can't defend themselves*.

*yes, that includes Jesus. Poor guy.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Can they

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Can they also auction off a little 'Who gives a fuck'?

I can tell you who the highest bidders would be: all the theists who have tried for years to parlay Einstein's non-dice-playing God into a declaration of religious belief.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown