Einstein critical of Religion

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Einstein critical of Religion

A little known letter written by Albert Einstein is to be auctioned off this weekend in London.

The letter sheds further light on Einstein's view of religious beliefs.

A few excerpts:

Quote:
  "The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people".

A well written article on the subject published by the Guardian UK here:www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Both Christians and Jews

Both Christians and Jews will falsely accuse us of making this up.

They cant seem to grasp the simple difference between

1. A person

and

2. The separate issue of a specific claim a person might make.

• Einstein in this letter is merely saying although he make like individual Christians and Jews as individual people, he merely doesn't buy the stories of the holy books although he may find some morals in some of the stories.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my opinion there was

In my opinion there was already suffiecent eveidence to put claim of his religon to rest.But nothing will convince theists Hitler wasn't atheist,and Einstein wasn't theist.(or spefically christian)

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
And no amount of repetitions

And no amount of repetitions will convince a theist that it doesn't matter one bit who was or wasn't a theist.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 My favorite Einstein fact

My favorite Einstein fact is that his parents took in a young Rabbinical student named Max Talmud.  Max Talmud, Jewish Avenger.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:And no

Hambydammit wrote:

And no amount of repetitions will convince a theist that it doesn't matter one bit who was or wasn't a theist.

You are wrong about this Hamby, Dinesh constantly brings up people like Newton who were Christian Scientists that could reconcile religion and reason. Its obviously a bad argument, but it is being made by theists as an appeal to authority of specific cherrypicked scientists who believed in God. Dinesh is dishonest, but most apologetics are, so while they might not relent to specific nonreligionist claims of some scientists, they still tweek history to their advantage and won't face the facts that in the current era, almost all serious scientists reject the idea of a personal god.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't clear,

I wasn't clear, apparently.  I was saying that theists won't stop using the appeal to authority, even though it's obviously a bad argument, and this has been pointed out over and over.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism