Current human evolution: natural or artificial?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline

The question: is current human evolution natural or artificial?

Or, as my illustrious colleague The Doomed Soul said:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Every time Humans do something that influences their own evolution, its artifical evolution, this does not mean gene-manipulation. When we discovered fire, that was our very first time, that we began to influence.

Environment + Time + Need = Change or Die = Evolution does it not?

Our species never NEEDED fire... but we acquired it any way, thus changing our environment

And since we still have fire and its modern kin, i can assume its stood the test of time, and has influenced our development, can i not? Ever wonder what we would look like today if we had never discovered fire? (physically not technologically) granted we'll never know, but i predict thick fur and more body fat >.> (like every other damn mammal)

There are several possible discussions: the nature of evolution, the evolutionary effect of humanity's ability to affect (I hesitate to say "control&quotEye-wink our environment, the linguistic distinction between "artificial" and "natural," whether or not man is somehow outside of nature, and perhaps even how wonderful a grilling steak smells.

Mmm. Steak.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:If you ask

Hambydammit wrote:

If you ask me, people attempting to separate us from animals are falling prey to the same meme that makes people religious... we're special and different.

Except that we're providing physical and empirical evidence to support our case, like the main battle tank, the air superiority fighter, the harnessing of the atom, genetic engineering, artificial intelligence construction, skyscrapers, assembly lines, literature, astronomy, etc.

Whatever. You've already concede that when man becomes his machines your argument dissolves, so I'll shrug and move on.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: ...

Kevin R Brown wrote:

... like the main battle tank, the air superiority fighter, the harnessing of the atom, genetic engineering, artificial intelligence construction, skyscrapers, assembly lines, literature, astronomy, etc...

These things don't imply anything special about humans, except maybe that we share a species-wide desire to self-destruct and will go to extraordinarily intricate lengths to do it. Even lemmings, it is now accepted, have more sense than that.

Though I personally think the addition of literature and astronomy to your list shows that we have an equally intricate sense of humour about it all, having decided to intricately amuse ourselves and inform ourselves en route to our doom. (Though it's a pity it's not a sense of humour shared by all the other species we seem poised to take with us.)

I can see the tombstone now. "Here lies humanity - pointlessly intricate, and ultimately pointless."

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
The ingredient is TECHNOLOGY

The ingredient is TECHNOLOGY which is obviously magical to lesser beings

((Of course, though the way I see it, Something complex is ultimately just made of a bunch of simple things put together.  Our technology is impressive, but it has it's humble roots.  Again, we should be proud to be human... just not dogmatically arrogant.  And no, I wont say you are being that way))

(i dont care if you mock me, i rather enjoy it, just dont ever allude to me being a creationist -_- )

(I would never insult anyone on this list with that label, but I will poke my fellow atheists a bit if I start to worry they are leaning a bit too far from scientific naturalism.  Poke yes, punish no.  You're a wonderful Puck, Doomed.. and no that's not a typo)

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
 The ingredient is

The ingredient is TECHNOLOGY which is obviously magical to lesser beings

((Of course, though the way I see it, Something complex is ultimately just made of a bunch of simple things put together.  Our technology is impressive, but it has it's humble roots.  Again, we should be proud to be human... just not dogmatically arrogant.  And no, I wont say you are being that way))

(i dont care if you mock me, i rather enjoy it, just dont ever allude to me being a creationist -_- )

(I would never insult anyone on this list with that label, but I will poke my fellow atheists a bit if I start to worry they are leaning a bit too far from scientific naturalism.  Poke yes, punish no.  You're a wonderful Puck, Doomed.. and no that's not a typo)

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Technology is the advanced

Technology is the advanced use of tools.  Tool use happens in lots of animals.  It's a difference of degree.  It's not unique.

Two things that everyone must remember:

1. Evolution has three components:  Variation, heredity, and selection.

Please note that selection doesn't specify what kind of selection.  Only selection.  Humans clearly fit all three of these, and therefore fit the normal description of natural selection.

2. Humans are unique in some ways.  So is absolutely every other organism on the planet.  Our uniqueness makes us exactly the same as everyone else.  Claiming that you've found something unique about human evolution is simply to point out that we are different from other organisms.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As we now have no

Quote:
As we now have no selection pressure we will see a continuing diversification of humanity (obviously the mixing of many genes from across the world will help this too). Even sexual selection will not help as there are many different preferences and subcultures within each society. Just look at some of the freeks with kids next time you go out!

We do still have selection pressure.  We just don't have a lot of predation pressure.  We're constantly fighting against viruses, for instance.  Another overlooked factor is that we do have environmental pressure.  In the recent findings regarding human evolution, one of the most prevalent adaptations was a gene affecting our digestion of lactose.  This makes perfect sense because we've been adding milk to our diet long after our ancestors would have had it.

If you think sexual selection isn't directed, take a day and watch ESPN.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Phoebus18 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
very very sorry

Sorry for hijacking this thread but ive tried several times now to sign up to the site but it hasnt worked, and subsequently i cant start my own thread. But im in quick need of some help so... hence the hijack. ok...

VenomfangX on youtube has recently posted a video claiming he can falsify evolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CNV2A55Ilk

biggusrobbicus replied with an example that debunks his claim, but as he cencors his comments i relayed it to him in in a pm, to see his reply. The message i relayed was

"Pity VFX's new hypothesis basically goes: I
have now redefined all evolutionary mechanisms I can think of as
design. Now prove evolution.

"However, there is an isolated
lizard population that has developed a muscular restriction to develop
a fermenting chamber in its gut within the last 30 years. Its
verifiable ancestors do not posess this trait.

Ref: Herrel et. al. PNAS March 25, 2008 vol. 105 no. 12 4792-4795."

VenomfangX's reply

However, there is an isolated lizard population that has developed a
muscular restriction to develop a fermenting chamber in its gut within
the last 30 years. Its verifiable ancestors do not posess this trait.
-you

I've heard this objection before, and its simply not evolution. There
are a few possible explanations for its sudden appearance;
a) it is simply a duplication of a muscle it already possessed
b) it once possessed the fermenting chamber, and through a new diet it
was naturally selected out, and re-appeared when their diet changed
(remaining dormant). There are dormant genes throughout all creatures
(you possess the full human chromosome, so you also have the eye colors
which you do not have expressed in your eyeballs).
I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. Are you really going to
stand before God and say you didn't believe Him because of a fermenting
chamber appearing in a lizard? Good luck with that.

This is not evolution.

My education includes a large deal of anatomy and some pathology. Unfortunately all the education in genetics i have is informal and so does not equip me to soundly whip his ass. I know he is wrong, and i know the basics of why but i was hopeing that someone here is in the field and ready to fire back with some really high grade stuff.

oh yea, if an admin could move this to its own thread, and/or email me about my account that would be much appreciated.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
PM me with details, and I'll

PM me with details, and I'll look into your account setup and see what I can do.  Once we get you registered, I'll move this or delete it and let you start another thread.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, sweet squeaking Bunny

Oh, sweet squeaking Bunny Jesus. 

I think we've got a real misunderstanding of what is meant by evolution here.  I can't comment at the moment because I've somewhere to be, but in the meantime, if you're posting in this thread, I seriously suggest you read up on genetic drift, gene flow, adaptation, mutation, selection and the E word itself.  To put it quickly, I'll squeeze out a quick one.

Say that cultural tendencies in the USA during the mid to late 1970's led women to favor men with bushy mustaches.  As a consequence, a larger number of male babies born in those years grew up to be men who could grow thick facial hair like their fathers.   Guys who couldn't grow 'staches back in that period had fewer promiscuous couplings with women and fewer total offspring.  As a consequence, there are a ton of douchebags walking around the States these days prominently displaying goatees (all apologies, of course).  Now whether or not you accept the veracity of my little story, what I have described is evolution.  Doesn't matter how minor, if there's a change in allelic frequency from one generation to the next for whatever reason, that's evolution.  Really.  It is.   

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Back on RRS (finally after

Back on RRS (finally after 15 years have a girlfriend and have been trying to get Darwinian)

I think the question isnt whether conventional evolution random mutation of genes whose survival is determined by natural selection (sorry if that isnt exact enough) is happening or not but whether its the dominate factor in future generations of human beings.

I do believe we are in most situations far more likely to our enviroment to suit ourselves rather than enviromental changes determining if our genes are suitable to survive or not.

What clearly is evolving are ideas (memes) our knowledge of the universe , of our own biological nature.

There is no designer of humanity yet, but soon there will be. It wont be all powerful all loving, all knowing but it will be real it will us

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:Our

ronin-dog wrote:

Our evolution is slowing or stopped, especially in the developed countries.

Ronin, I keep seeing you saying things like this.  What are you talking about?  Human evolution is going insanely fast compared to our recent past (50,000-5/7 million years ago).  Chimps have had more evolutionary change happen to their DNA since we diverged from them.  However Homo Sapiens evolutionary change is ramping up so rapidly that if we had always been evolving this quickly the differences between humans and chimps would easily be over a 100 times more different between the two species than it currently is.  The chimp evolution is plodding along where Homo Sapiens evolution is sprinting at a startling rate.

We created an artificial environment with no thought about natural selection.  We are now evolving to fit that artificial environment.  That is being shown time and time again in all the new studies.

The idea that human evolution has been slowed or stopped is not only an antiquated notion but is the exact opposite of what current research is telling us.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Technology

Hambydammit wrote:

Technology is the advanced use of tools.  Tool use happens in lots of animals.  It's a difference of degree.  It's not unique.

It's a difference of MILES of degree. No other animal refines raw ore into composite armor plating, last I checked. Or builds internal combustion engines. The difference in complexity and abstraction between a bird arranging twigs into a nest and humans using an assembly line to produce a vehicle is so staggering that I'd argue one is hardly comparable to the other.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:These things don't

Quote:

These things don't imply anything special about humans, except maybe that we share a species-wide desire to self-destruct and will go to extraordinarily intricate lengths to do it. Even lemmings, it is now accepted, have more sense than that.

Do you even know how/why (say) tanks were developed in the first place?

It was to break-out of the extremely harsh trench-based warfare present throughout the first portion of WWI. We were already killing and maiming ea ch other to begin with - we just needed a tool to solve a particular problem (similarly, the fighter aircraft was developed during WWI, evolving from an initial role strictly based on reconnaisance).

This is just more 'technology is evil' bullshit, and I think you're smearing it around without even being conscious of it.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

There is no evolution in the sense of this question. Evolution has no direction. It is random change followed by rigorous selection. Oddly this was understood clearly at the beginning when eugenics became a political success. As we are not killing people off before they can reproduce there is no selection, natural or otherwise. On the contrary we work to preserve everyone and those who are least able to get along in the world tend to have little else to occupy their time beyond having children whom we also preserve. We are not even selected by our own culture. One might suggest we are eliminating those who can't control cars but we had thousands of years with only animals for labor. People grew up with the knowledge of handling animals as almost second nature. Does anyone here want to claim they were born knowing how to deal with animals? If not then no selection for that talent occurred.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Technology

Hambydammit wrote:

Come on now, Hamby. You can't compare human tool use with the tool use that happens in the animal world. Our creative, self-conscious use of tools sets us apart from every other creature on the planet in important ways.

Hambydammit wrote:

Two things that everyone must remember:

1. Evolution has three components:  Variation, heredity, and selection.

Please note that selection doesn't specify what kind of selection.  Only selection.

Agree with all this.

Hambydammit wrote:

Humans clearly fit all three of these, and therefore fit the normal description of natural selection.

Whoops! You slipped the word "natural" in there. How can variation, heredity and selection that are driven by clearly artificial things like technology and culture be said to be "natural"? If we take them as such, we abuse the meaning of the word artificial and destroy the distinction between the two things.

Hambydammit wrote:

2. Humans are unique in some ways.  So is absolutely every other organism on the planet.  Our uniqueness makes us exactly the same as everyone else.  Claiming that you've found something unique about human evolution is simply to point out that we are different from other organisms.

I would say that humans are unique in a unique way, specifically, in that we have the ability to create artificial things that do not spring from any other source in nature. To the extent that these things are influencing our evolution, and have even become the dominant force in it, you can say that we are no longer evolved through natural selection.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am talking about now, not

I am talking about now, not even about the last few thousand years. I must admit though that I was not aware of any research showing current human evolution, I'd be interested to see it and will refrain from putting forward my antiquated ideas forward until i am more knowledgable Smiling

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
Personally, I dislike the term "artificial" in general. Call it "man-made" if you must, but nothing we make is "artificial" to the extent that it is not natural

ar·ti·fi·cial

-noun

1. made by human skill; produced by humans (opposed to natural): artificial flowers.

(source: Dictionary.com Unabridged, v 1.1)ctionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

'Man-made' and 'artificial' are synonymous. If it can only be created through complex human manufacturing techniques, it's artificial. You dislike the term, apparently, because you don't understand it.

I dislike the term, because I DO understand it. We are talking about NATURAL SELECTION here, which humans are CERTAINLY part and parcel of. Pay attention.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

JanCham wrote:

Humans have leaned a lot of tricks, but all of them are in responsse to the greater stage, the enviroments we live in.

Tell me Jan... what happens when Humans dictate every aspect of their enviroments for several millenia? (more and more so with every century)

We never have and never will have such power. Even if we go cybernetic, it won't change the fact that the sun will swallow the earth in about 4 billion years and make it inhabitable to life as we know it long before that. In that sense, if any semblence of humanity is to survive, this natural fact will influence it. Even if we become totally artificial, the super novae of the universe wait for no man or machine.

No matter what sort of life, it will always be subject to the whims of an indifferent and fickle universe.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

If you ask me, people attempting to separate us from animals are falling prey to the same meme that makes people religious... we're special and different.

Except that we're providing physical and empirical evidence to support our case, like the main battle tank, the air superiority fighter, the harnessing of the atom, genetic engineering, artificial intelligence construction, skyscrapers, assembly lines, literature, astronomy, etc.

Like the exoskeleton, like wings, like the sickle cell, like lactose tolerance, like asexual reproduction, like becoming eukaryotic.......

See where you've gone horribly wrong yet?

Quote:
Whatever. You've already concede that when man becomes his machines your argument dissolves, so I'll shrug and move on.

And if man becomes his machines, how is that NOT evolving? And if a NATURAL organism does that, how could you say it would not be within nature to do it or would not be natural?

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

It's a difference of MILES of degree. No other animal refines raw ore into composite armor plating, last I checked. Or builds internal combustion engines. The difference in complexity and abstraction between a bird arranging twigs into a nest and humans using an assembly line to produce a vehicle is so staggering that I'd argue one is hardly comparable to the other.

Many Amazonian frogs refine the insects they eat into deadly poisons - how is that not basically the same thing?

Your distinction is one of simple degree.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Do you even know how/why (say) tanks were developed in the first place?

Do you even know why exoskeletons evolved in the first place?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:I am talking

ronin-dog wrote:

I am talking about now, not even about the last few thousand years. I must admit though that I was not aware of any research showing current human evolution, I'd be interested to see it and will refrain from putting forward my antiquated ideas forward until i am more knowledgable Smiling

I'm not replying in an aggressive manner, Ronin.  Just in confusion.  If I'm missing something let me know.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/12/071211-human-evolution.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2007-12-10-evolution-speeding-up_N.htm

http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/070326_evolution.htm

world-science.net wrote:

Hu­man ev­o­lu­tion has been speed­ing up tre­mend­ous­ly, a new study con­tends—so much, that the lat­est ev­o­lu­tion­ary changes seem to large­ly ec­lipse ear­l­ier ones that ac­com­pa­nied mod­ern man’s “ori­gin.”

The stu­dy, along­side oth­er recent re­search on which it builds, amounts to a sweep­ing re­ap­prais­al of tra­di­tion­al views, which tended to as­sume that hu­mans have reached an ev­o­lu­tion­ary end­point.

The find­ings sug­gest that not on­ly is our ev­o­lu­tion con­tin­u­ing: in a sense our very “orig­in” can be seen as on­go­ing, a ge­net­i­cist not in­volved in the study said.

Greg­o­ry Coch­ran of the Uni­ver­si­ty of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, a co-author of the stu­dy, said the re­search may force a rad­i­cal re­think­ing of the sto­ry of mod­ern hu­man ev­o­lu­tion. “It turns it up­side-down, pret­ty much,” he said. But skep­tics ques­tion some as­pects of the work.

The tra­di­tion­al pic­ture of hu­mans as a fi­n­ished prod­uct be­gan to erode in re­cent years, sci­en­t­ists said, with a crop of stud­ies sug­gesting our ev­o­lu­tion in­deed goes on. But the new­est in­vest­i­ga­tion goes fur­ther. It claims the pro­cess has ac­tu­al­ly ac­cel­er­at­ed.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Come on now, Hamby.

Quote:
Come on now, Hamby. You can't compare human tool use with the tool use that happens in the animal world. Our creative, self-conscious use of tools sets us apart from every other creature on the planet in important ways.

Sure I can.  It's tool use and it's tool use.  Our self-conscious use sets us apart in degree.  The difference between one degree above absolute zero and the temperature of the sun's corona is a difference in degree.

Quote:
Whoops! You slipped the word "natural" in there.

Um...

Oh, my god... when that guy at the bar asked for a screaming orgasm... I slapped him... I mean... he said, "orgasm."  It's obviously asking for sex...

Seriously, tilberian.  It's called "natural selection."  That's the name. 

Quote:
How can variation, heredity and selection that are driven by clearly artificial things like technology and culture be said to be "natural"? If we take them as such, we abuse the meaning of the word artificial and destroy the distinction between the two things.

Natural:  Occurs in the material world.  Simple enough?

Where do you think our brains came from?

Quote:
I would say that humans are unique in a unique way, specifically, in that we have the ability to create artificial things that do not spring from any other source in nature

LOL... unique in a unique way... isn't that like a double negative?

Seriously.  Think about what you just said.  It's nonsense.

Quote:
To the extent that these things are influencing our evolution, and have even become the dominant force in it, you can say that we are no longer evolved through natural selection.

~sigh~

I'm going to take up digging for diamonds in my backyard.  More hope of success.

Books about atheism

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Sure I

Hambydammit wrote:

Sure I can.  It's tool use and it's tool use.  Our self-conscious use sets us apart in degree.  The difference between one degree above absolute zero and the temperature of the sun's corona is a difference in degree.

Here's the difference: no animal ever looked at a problem, identified its component parts then created a plan to make a tool to solve that problem. Animals have behaviours that they have stumbled across through trial and error, some of which involve manipulating an object. One day a chimpanzee was hanging out at the termite mound and idly stuck a blade of grass in one of the holes. When he pulled it out, he found it was covered in delicious termites. So he did it again. Other chimps saw him and copied what he was doing. Ten thousand years later, they are still doing it and still haven't invented a shovel which would enable them to dig up the entire mound. This process is fundamentally different to how modern humans invent tools.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Whoops! You slipped the word "natural" in there.

Um...

Oh, my god... when that guy at the bar asked for a screaming orgasm... I slapped him... I mean... he said, "orgasm."  It's obviously asking for sex...

Seriously, tilberian.  It's called "natural selection."  That's the name.

And the word under debate. Can the selection process for humans be called "natural" any more?

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
How can variation, heredity and selection that are driven by clearly artificial things like technology and culture be said to be "natural"? If we take them as such, we abuse the meaning of the word artificial and destroy the distinction between the two things.

Yes, quite. Except that that is not the sense of the word that we have been using here. We have been discussing natural versus artificial, not natural versus supernatural. The first sense implies things that are outside human civilization and deliberate human artiface. if you are using the second sense, then we are in perfect agreement: everything about humans and everything on earth is 100% natural.

Hambydammit wrote:

But at some point in our culture we point at things that are the fruit of human intelligence and draw a distinction between those things and "nature." That is where the word artificial comes from.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I would say that humans are unique in a unique way, specifically, in that we have the ability to create artificial things that do not spring from any other source in nature

LOL... unique in a unique way... isn't that like a double negative?

Seriously.  Think about what you just said.  It's nonsense.

Is not. Humans are unique along a different vector of "uniqueness" than any other creature. You can say an octopus is unique because it has eight tentacles. But other creatures have tentacles. A stick insect is unique because it looks just like stick. But other animals use camouflage. But no other animal has anything like our sense of self-consciousness and our ability to model our environment from a perspective outside ourselves.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
To the extent that these things are influencing our evolution, and have even become the dominant force in it, you can say that we are no longer evolved through natural selection.

~sigh~

I'm going to take up digging for diamonds in my backyard.  More hope of success.

My guess is when Darwin used the term "natural" in "natural selection" he was trying to draw a clear distinction between that which happens spontaneously and that which happens because of an intelligent plan. Not between the things of this world and the things of heaven.

- Dr. Joy Brown

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
eye numanite Tilberian 2

eye numanite Tilberian 2 fyght maih werd b@ttles 4 meh form new hon

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:eye

The Doomed Soul wrote:

eye numanite Tilberian 2 fyght maih werd b@ttles 4 meh form new hon

Don't jump the gun. Hamby will be back to pwn my ass all over the boards very soon.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to disappoint, but

Sorry to disappoint, but I've pretty much given up on this.  All I could do would be to rehash the same things I've already said, and clearly, you aren't convinced by them, so it would be pointless.

I'm in an awkward position both here and in Strafio's moderate theist thread.  In both instances, all I can say is, "You haven't given any justification for your position."  There's no counter argument to make because in neither thread has a position been established well enough to argue against it.

Books about atheism

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, Watcher. I know you

Thanks, Watcher. I know you weren't being aggressive or anything. I was just trying to insert some humour into my reply.

Thanks for the links, I shall read them soon (no time just now).

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:Hambydammit

Tilberian wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Here's the difference: no animal ever looked at a problem, identified its component parts then created a plan to make a tool to solve that problem.

Sure they have. Ever seen a chimp fish for termites with a sharpened stick or mash nuts with a rock? Granted it is rudimentary, but it IS recognizing a problem and making a tool or finding something that can be used as a tool. This is very well documented across several species in the wild, and if you include animals raised in captivity it is clear that tool manufacture and problem solving potentials are much greater than those realized in the wild.

Quote:
Animals have behaviours that they have stumbled across through trial and error, some of which involve manipulating an object. One day a chimpanzee was hanging out at the termite mound and idly stuck a blade of grass in one of the holes. When he pulled it out, he found it was covered in delicious termites. So he did it again. Other chimps saw him and copied what he was doing. Ten thousand years later, they are still doing it and still haven't invented a shovel which would enable them to dig up the entire mound. This process is fundamentally different to how modern humans invent tools.

The thing is though, they don't need to invent a shovel. The stick works just fine - not to mention the fact that a shovel would destroy the termite nest and make any future gathering of tasty critters difficult.

Quote:
Can the selection process for humans be called "natural" any more?

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Yes, quite. Except that that is not the sense of the word that we have been using here. We have been discussing natural versus artificial, not natural versus supernatural. The first sense implies things that are outside human civilization and deliberate human artiface. if you are using the second sense, then we are in perfect agreement: everything about humans and everything on earth is 100% natural.

Hambydammit wrote:

But at some point in our culture we point at things that are the fruit of human intelligence and draw a distinction between those things and "nature." That is where the word artificial comes from.

Both distinctions are valid. It makes sense to distinguish things humans have done from the rest of nature, we are an egocentric species and it also helps us better understand how we effect our environment. However, to call what we do unnatural or artificial in the scope of evolution is wrong. We are the product of evolution, we are the cousins of the chimps with sticks you just mentioned, and we share a common ancestor with them - if a chimp with a stick is natural, then so is a human with a spear, a human with a gun, and a human with an A-bomb.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

So from whence do they spring other than the natural? Sure, call things we make man-made if you must, that is certainly accurate, but it isn't accurate to distinguish it in such a way that would be foreign from nature. An A-bomb is NATURAL, it's simply taken billions of years of evolution to produce.

Quote:
Humans are unique along a different vector of "uniqueness" than any other creature. You can say an octopus is unique because it has eight tentacles. But other creatures have tentacles. A stick insect is unique because it looks just like stick. But other animals use camouflage. But no other animal has anything like our sense of self-consciousness and our ability to model our environment from a perspective outside ourselves.

So? Does that mean we are artificial or that what we do is? Certainly not.

Humans certainly have unique abilities amoung the animal kingdom, but so do many animals. It is only anthropormorphising things and egocentrism that make us thing we're special. Can your skin produce an electric charge to ward off attackers? No. Can an electric eel do calculus? No. It is sheer vanity to think that one is more special or more advanced than the other. It depends entirely on circumstance from an evolutionary POV.

Quote:
My guess is when Darwin used the term "natural" in "natural selection" he was trying to draw a clear distinction between that which happens spontaneously and that which happens because of an intelligent plan. Not between the things of this world and the things of heaven.

And you think humans have a collective intelligent plan?

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Tilberian wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Here's the difference: no animal ever looked at a problem, identified its component parts then created a plan to make a tool to solve that problem.

Sure they have. Ever seen a chimp fish for termites with a sharpened stick or mash nuts with a rock? Granted it is rudimentary, but it IS recognizing a problem and making a tool or finding something that can be used as a tool. This is very well documented across several species in the wild, and if you include animals raised in captivity it is clear that tool manufacture and problem solving potentials are much greater than those realized in the wild.

Quote:
Animals have behaviours that they have stumbled across through trial and error, some of which involve manipulating an object. One day a chimpanzee was hanging out at the termite mound and idly stuck a blade of grass in one of the holes. When he pulled it out, he found it was covered in delicious termites. So he did it again. Other chimps saw him and copied what he was doing. Ten thousand years later, they are still doing it and still haven't invented a shovel which would enable them to dig up the entire mound. This process is fundamentally different to how modern humans invent tools.

The thing is though, they don't need to invent a shovel. The stick works just fine - not to mention the fact that a shovel would destroy the termite nest and make any future gathering of tasty critters difficult. Destroying the nest for short term gratification is something more like an intelligent human would do with their artificial tools. That's certainly a good survival strategy until your resources run out, but would you honestly call it intelligent?

Quote:
Can the selection process for humans be called "natural" any more?

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Both distinctions are valid. It makes sense to distinguish things humans have done from the rest of nature, we are an egocentric species and it also helps us better understand how we effect our environment. However, to call what we do unnatural or artificial in the scope of evolution is wrong. We are the product of evolution, we are the cousins of the chimps with sticks you just mentioned, and we share a common ancestor with them - if a chimp with a stick is natural, then so is a human with a spear, a human with a gun, and a human with an A-bomb.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

So from whence do they spring other than the natural? Sure, call things we make man-made if you must, that is certainly accurate, but it isn't accurate to distinguish it in such a way that would be foreign from nature. An A-bomb is NATURAL, it's simply taken billions of years of evolution to produce.

Quote:
Humans are unique along a different vector of "uniqueness" than any other creature. You can say an octopus is unique because it has eight tentacles. But other creatures have tentacles. A stick insect is unique because it looks just like stick. But other animals use camouflage. But no other animal has anything like our sense of self-consciousness and our ability to model our environment from a perspective outside ourselves.

Humans certainly have unique abilities amoung the animal kingdom, but so do many animals. It is only anthropormorphising things and egocentrism that make us thing we're special. Can your skin produce an electric charge to ward off attackers? No. Can an electric eel do calculus? No. It is sheer vanity to think that one is more special or more advanced than the other. It depends entirely on circumstance from an evolutionary POV.

Quote:

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

I don't think the chimp ever recognized the problem in the sense that we would recognize the problem. A human would see a termite go into a hole and say "Hm, how can I get that out of there." He'd then model the hole and the termite and the known characteristics of all these things in his mind and start to creatively cast about for potential solutions. He'd mentally compare the size and characteristics of the blade of grass to the size and shape of the hole and the job it is meant to do. He might even realize that termites will bite and hold on to anything invading their nest.

Nothing I have ever read or seen suggests that chimps are capable of such complex mental tasks. My guess is that one chimp found out about the trick by accident and the trick was learned by the others then passed down culturally.

Also, if I am not mistaken, it is only one population of chimps that has been observed to do this in the wild. If chimps were capable of reasoning this problem out, we would expect most or all of them to have arrived at the same solution in the similar way that separate human populations all over the world arrived at the idea of writing.

The thing is though, they don't need to invent a shovel. The stick works just fine - not to mention the fact that a shovel would destroy the termite nest and make any future gathering of tasty critters difficult.

This would make the chimps smarter than most human populations. Come on, do you really think the chimps would refrain from using a technology that would gain them far more termites because they could forecast a future supply problem? They don't use shovels to dig up the hill because they haven't invented them, Yellow. And they haven't invented them because they are not capable of invention, as we use the term.

I think we are down to a rather boring semantic point here. I am simply pointing to the fact that the main factors affecting human evolution now are of human design rather than coming from sources external to human civilization. I like to call that "artificial" and you like call it "natural." Let's flip a coin. But I think your way is confusing because it makes it sound like human selection is still happening the same way it happened when we were in the trees, and it is not.

You are really beating up the language, here, Yellow. If we are going to call an A-bomb "natural" then we better rip the word "artificial" out of the dictionary.

Yes it does! That is the meaning of artificial: created by humans.

Settle down, settle down, I am not trying to establish some theistic hierarchy in which our adaptations are "better" or "higher" than any other animal's. But they are different in a way in which no other creature is different. There are several creatures that channel electric current through their skin but only one that thinks.

Not ever all the humans all together. But hundreds of millions of us at a time can. Look at China and the one child policy. They are radically effecting the evolution of the species via a collective plan.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: But they are

Quote:
But they are different in a way in which no other creature is different.

And the creature with the most potent neurotoxin on the planet is unique in a way that no other creature is unique.  The blue whale is unique in a way that no other creature is unique.  It's got the largest mass.

Intelligence, like mass or venom potency, is a quality possessed by many creatures.   Your distinction of being uniquely unique is useless, as it begs the question of why intelligence is not included in evolutionary adaptations when all the other qualities are.

Sure, it allows us to recognize our own existence in what is probably a unique way, but so what?  Creatures with incredibly strong venom can kill their prey in unique ways.  No other creature gets to nick their prey slightly and then follow it at a distance until it dies.

Books about atheism

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian

Tilberian wrote:

I don't think the chimp ever recognized the problem in the sense that we would recognize the problem. A human would see a termite go into a hole and say "Hm, how can I get that out of there." He'd then model the hole and the termite and the known characteristics of all these things in his mind and start to creatively cast about for potential solutions. He'd mentally compare the size and characteristics of the blade of grass to the size and shape of the hole and the job it is meant to do. He might even realize that termites will bite and hold on to anything invading their nest.

Chimps do the exact same thing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yrPb41hzYdw&feature=related

Honestly, is that the solution you'd come up with? How long would it have taken you?

I'll gladly dig out the journal articles on that experiment if you'd like.

Quote:
Nothing I have ever read or seen suggests that chimps are capable of such complex mental tasks. My guess is that one chimp found out about the trick by accident and the trick was learned by the others then passed down culturally.

Also, if I am not mistaken, it is only one population of chimps that has been observed to do this in the wild. If chimps were capable of reasoning this problem out, we would expect most or all of them to have arrived at the same solution in the similar way that separate human populations all over the world arrived at the idea of writing.

Why, exactly, should we expect that. Please explain.

The fact of the matter is SOME chimp populations exhibit this behavior, because it is in part a CULTURAL phenomena - IOW a library of knowledge being passed between generations and occasionally populations. Sound familiar?

Yes, chimps clearly do learn behaviors very well, but as the experiment I just showed you suggests, they are certainly also capable of solving problems and abstract thinking to some degree.

Quote:

This would make the chimps smarter than most human populations. Come on, do you really think the chimps would refrain from using a technology that would gain them far more termites because they could forecast a future supply problem? They don't use shovels to dig up the hill because they haven't invented them, Yellow. And they haven't invented them because they are not capable of invention, as we use the term.

No, I'm sure the chimps would mine that termite hole to oblivion, just as we do our own natural resources. Why shouldn't they, they are quite nearly the same creature.

Studies on captive primates also support this. They will eat and drink as much as they can to their own detriment.

Quote:

I think we are down to a rather boring semantic point here. I am simply pointing to the fact that the main factors affecting human evolution now are of human design rather than coming from sources external to human civilization. I like to call that "artificial" and you like call it "natural." Let's flip a coin. But I think your way is confusing because it makes it sound like human selection is still happening the same way it happened when we were in the trees, and it is not.

I'm sorry if you think that's the way it sounds, I think I was as clear as I could possibly be.

Clearly, I am not wrong, from a scientific and biological POV. That is what I care about. I've already said, we should track the impact humans have, but to call human influence unnatural is to confuse things.

Quote:

You are really beating up the language, here, Yellow. If we are going to call an A-bomb "natural" then we better rip the word "artificial" out of the dictionary.

So you'd call fission or fusion artificial or unnatural? Have you heard of a thing called a star?

Quote:

Yes it does! That is the meaning of artificial: created by humans.

Well, that is a piss poor word for it. Man-made is much  better. For nothing man makes is not natural.

Quote:

Settle down, settle down, I am not trying to establish some theistic hierarchy in which our adaptations are "better" or "higher" than any other animal's. But they are different in a way in which no other creature is different. There are several creatures that channel electric current through their skin but only one that thinks.

Are you sure about that? I'm not so sure we're the only species that thinks. Cetaceans and many primates and even pigs and dogs can easily match up with human children in many instances, and in many instances, primates and cetaceans have  been shown to have real problem solving skills. It may well be a different kind of thinking or intelligence, but it is certainly there.

Quote:

Not ever all the humans all together. But hundreds of millions of us at a time can. Look at China and the one child policy. They are radically effecting the evolution of the species via a collective plan.

Right, because there are certainly no trips to the herbalist for things to make a male child, there are certainly never any female children cast away, there are certianly never any children hidden from the state, there are certainly never any people who leave the country for reproductive freedom.

This is a horrible example, because it is a edict that is largely agiainst natural instinct and political will. You may as well have said that India's caste system is a logical and possible way to create two distinct races.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a silly argument. If

What a silly argument.

If intelligence is the defining item that places humans top of some biological league table then this thread is threatening to send it into the relegation zone.

I think I'll be clever like my dog and stay well clear of it and practice scratching myself behind my ear with my foot while licking my privates - now there's a trick even the ant-eating chimp would strugge with!

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote: But

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
But they are different in a way in which no other creature is different.

And the creature with the most potent neurotoxin on the planet is unique in a way that no other creature is unique.

It is not unique at all. Many other creatures are poisonous.

Hambydammit wrote:

The blue whale is unique in a way that no other creature is unique.  It's got the largest mass.

This is a difference of degree. Fin whales are almost as big. There is nothing unique about it. Humans, on the other hand, are the only self-conscious animals on the planet. Nothing else is even similar.

Hambydammit wrote:

Intelligence, like mass or venom potency, is a quality possessed by many creatures. 

No it is not. We have mental tools that no other creature possesses, tools that enable us to do things that are completely different from anything done by any other animal. Being able to understand that another creature can perceive you is something that only a very few higher mammals can even achieve. Understanding that the other creature also knows that you perceive it is something that some trained chimps have shown a limited ability to grasp. But humans routinely have fourth and fifth-order self-consciousness...by the time they are five. And that is the least of our tricks. Our consciousness and ability to project ahead and back in time mentally is a completely unique ability like nothing that any other creature possesses.

Hambydammit wrote:

Your distinction of being uniquely unique is useless, as it begs the question of why intelligence is not included in evolutionary adaptations when all the other qualities are.

Who said anything about intelligence not being included in evolutionary adaptations. Clearly, it is just such an adaptation. But it is an adaptation that gives the species so adapted the ability to create a new vector of selection called "artificial."

Hambydammit wrote:

Sure, it allows us to recognize our own existence in what is probably a unique way, but so what?  Creatures with incredibly strong venom can kill their prey in unique ways.  No other creature gets to nick their prey slightly and then follow it at a distance until it dies.

Technology is so what. Our intelligence allows us to do and invent things that impact our own selection. We can even, if we choose, make deliberate changes in what the next generation is like (for instance, education). Whether or not an individual mates and has offspring is now a matter of culture and choice...two things that animals do not even have. It seems to me to be fundamentally different from the way every other species on the planet is selected.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Chimps do the exact same thing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yrPb41hzYdw&feature=related

Honestly, is that the solution you'd come up with? How long would it have taken you?

I'll gladly dig out the journal articles on that experiment if you'd like.

OK, I'll concede that maybe chimps have some of the same capability. But something is preventing them from using it to make greater strides in keeping themselves alive. The forces acting on wild chimp evolution are exactly the same ones as acted on it a million years ago.

Quote:

Why, exactly, should we expect that. Please explain.

There is a limited set of solutions to any problem, and usually only one or two solutions that make the best use of resources. Given time, ordered processes tend to converge on these solutions. Just look at convergent evolution.

The fact of the matter is SOME chimp populations exhibit this behavior, because it is in part a CULTURAL phenomena - IOW a library of knowledge being passed between generations and occasionally populations. Sound familiar?

I've already mentioned that chimps pass the knowledge on culturally. That fact supports the idea that chimps are not reasoning but rather just aping an individual that found the problem by accident.

Yes, chimps clearly do learn behaviors very well, but as the experiment I just showed you suggests, they are certainly also capable of solving problems and abstract thinking to some degree.

Yes, I admit that your experiment seems to show that. But I'm leery of getting too excited about the unnatural capabilities of a captive chimp. Remember Koko the gorilla?

No, I'm sure the chimps would mine that termite hole to oblivion, just as we do our own natural resources. Why shouldn't they, they are quite nearly the same creature.

Studies on captive primates also support this. They will eat and drink as much as they can to their own detriment.

Raising the question, why haven't they invented better ways to exploit their environment given that they obviously want to?

I'm sorry if you think that's the way it sounds, I think I was as clear as I could possibly be.

Clearly, I am not wrong, from a scientific and biological POV. That is what I care about. I've already said, we should track the impact humans have, but to call human influence unnatural is to confuse things.

Of course you have your science and biology right. But I guess we disagree on what is confusing. I think that taking a phenomenon that is different from all other phenomena and calling it the same thing is more confusing. It is doubly useful to call artificial evolutionary forces what they are, because those are the forces that we might have some ability to control for our own benefit.

So you'd call fission or fusion artificial or unnatural? Have you heard of a thing called a star?

When they occur in a nuclear bomb, of course they are artificial. Yellow, you can try to pretend all you like that our culture and language does not draw a distinction between things made by men and things that are not, but it is not going to go away. We have a word called artificial and it has a definition.

Well, that is a piss poor word for it. Man-made is much  better. For nothing man makes is not natural.

Now we have veered into pure semantics. Man-made is a synonym for artificial...why do you prefer one over the other so vehemently?

Are you sure about that? I'm not so sure we're the only species that thinks. Cetaceans and many primates and even pigs and dogs can easily match up with human children in many instances, and in many instances, primates and cetaceans have  been shown to have real problem solving skills. It may well be a different kind of thinking or intelligence, but it is certainly there.

You are putting the speculative cart waaaaaaaaay ahead of the evidentiary horse.

Right, because there are certainly no trips to the herbalist for things to make a male child, there are certainly never any female children cast away, there are certianly never any children hidden from the state, there are certainly never any people who leave the country for reproductive freedom.

This is a horrible example, because it is a edict that is largely agiainst natural instinct and political will. You may as well have said that India's caste system is a logical and possible way to create two distinct races.

Now you are assigning a moral judgment that I did not make or imply. Where did I say that I thought China's one child policy was a good thing? All I did was point out that it exists and that it affects evolution.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
tilberian wrote:It is not

tilberian wrote:

tilberian wrote:
OK, I'll concede that maybe chimps have some of the same capability.

Is this about me?  Because if it is, I'll just stop responding to you, but in your response to me, you denied the point, and then conceded it to Yellow.  If you've just got a hate on for me, it's fine, but you're contradicting yourself.

Quote:
I've already mentioned that chimps pass the knowledge on culturally. That fact supports the idea that chimps are not reasoning but rather just aping an individual that found the problem by accident.

I'm not trying to be mean, or insulting, or condescending.  You need to read more about the current state of things in evolutionary psychology and maybe biology in general.  Your assessment of the other primates is outdated.  I'm not going to try to explain the whole thing here.  I'd like it if you trusted me enough to do some reading, though.

Quote:
Raising the question, why haven't they invented better ways to exploit their environment given that they obviously want to?

Are you familiar with the concept of runaway selection and how it relates to female selection?  In our earliest jumps in brain size (it happened in fits and starts, not gradually) it doesn't appear that we gained an awful lot of survival benefit.  It's much more likely that it was a more or less random choice by females.  For lots more on sexual selection and runaway, please read:

How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature  

The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature by Geoffrey Miller (Paperback - April 17, 2001)

Quote:
You are putting the speculative cart waaaaaaaaay ahead of the evidentiary horse.

Actually, no.  He's not.  In some primates, they have a complex society that involves reciprocal altruism in a relatively advanced form.  Humans have evolved past Tit-for-Tat to a modified Commitment Model, but these games are on a linear scale.  In short, some primates rise to power by forming alliances, and when the alliances are formed, the males who helped the new "king" expect a return for their investment.  If they don't get it, they mount a new coup with new allies.  This involves reputation, planning, and cooperation.

Additionally, we now know that dolphins form not only alliances between individuals, but alliances between groups.  This is a big step up the societal ladder, and involves complex mechanisms for dealing with complex interactions.  Note, also, that some dolphins have passed the "self-aware" test, as have some primates.

Some of this is explained in the book I just mentioned.  More is in this one:

Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation  
The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation by Matt Ridley (Paperback - April 1, 1998)

If you want to have a really good understanding of how biology shapes the human experience, you need to read this one, too:

Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature  

The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridley (Paperback - April 29, 2003)

If you don't want to trust me when I say that you're speaking from ignorance of current science, that's your right, but I think Yellow and any other science geek will pretty much back me up on this.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've stayed away from this

I've stayed away from this thread (doing a lot of that these days) largely on the basis of poorly defined terms--they have an annoying tendency to make debate irrelevant.  I normally try to stick to the scientific side of things, but I'm going to make a grasp at a philosophical or logical point here.  Natural selection is never "done" with an individual until it's dead.  When an individual dies, it's finally out of all reach of further selection (that is to say its reproductive potential is gone).  I'm feeling very dead parrot when I say that it can be finally said to be un-selected.  But wait.  If it had offspring during its lifetime, then natural selection can still be said to be playing on the genes of its descendants.  If we expand this to the species level (and we could expand it further, certainly), we can say that natural selection isn't done with a species until that species is extinct.  And even then, just like in the case of the individual organism, there might be a daughter species that retains the majority of genes from the parent species but is reproductively isolated from it.

My point is (hopefully you've guessed it by now) that unless you can absolutely, 100 percent guarantee that Homo sapiens or any of its potential descendant species will never go extinct, you cannot even begin to talk about natural selection becoming an irrelevant force in human evolution.  Even in a Brave New World situation, in which everybody's parents are picked out for them by the state from chilled stocks of eggs and spooge (supposedly the height of a human artificial selection situation) a completely natural phenomenon like an asteroid strike or a supernova could make all that artificial selection null and void in a matter of minutes.  Now, you may make arguments about degrees of importance between the two for certain geologically insignificant spans of time, but I refer you in that case to a thread about the need for improvement in the luster of copper-zinc alloy banisters and fixtures on an oceangoing vessel of the early 20th century or the precise counting of demigod-like figures of Persian origin (but international provenance) cavorting upon the surface of sewing utensils. 

As a quick point on the word "unique", I'll say that most scientists whom I've met and who study diversity in the ecological sense never use the word "unique".  It's one of the easiest ways for some young smart ass to prove you wrong.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As a quick point on

Quote:
As a quick point on the word "unique", I'll say that most scientists whom I've met and who study diversity in the ecological sense never use the word "unique".  It's one of the easiest ways for some young smart ass to prove you wrong.

That made me smile, and then chuckle, and then laugh heartily.  Thanks.

Books about atheism

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Back again. The articles

Back again. The articles were very interesting and did give me some new insights. However they do not address what is happening right now in "western" society (it would be hard to do that, there hasn't been enough time).

I am certainly not coming at this from the old homocentric pov that man is at an endpoint because he is so great. I definately acknowledge that we have been evolving rapidly (due to moving to different evnvironments, agriculture and just living in this harsh world). And I never stated that we had stopped changing genetically (I totally agree with the number of mutations due to population increase etc).

Genetic drift is certainly still a factor in our evolutionary process, but as we stabilize our environment (I don't mean the global environment, I mean our living/survival conditions) it is unlikely to drift far enough to show much change. Mustache fads won't make a difference as fads come and go.

So my hypothesis (yes, basically educated guess, untested, different from theory) is that as the human race steadies its living conditions and increases its life expectancy its evolution will slow/stop. As far as I am aware this fits with evolutionary theory. From the tone of the articles I am far from the only one with this pov.

I am not dogmatic on this, I am definately willing to discuss and learn. As a scientist of course I will change my pov based on the evidence given to me, but I also don't have to change my pov until I have seen evidence. I think this is reasonable.

Throw info at me people!!!!!!  

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:tilberian

Hambydammit wrote:

tilberian wrote:

tilberian wrote:
OK, I'll concede that maybe chimps have some of the same capability.

Is this about me?  Because if it is, I'll just stop responding to you, but in your response to me, you denied the point, and then conceded it to Yellow.  If you've just got a hate on for me, it's fine, but you're contradicting yourself.

I saw Yellow's post after yours and it is as simple as that. I would want to see that experiment repeated before I make any concessions about the general abilities of chimps. However, the clip, if all is as it seems, appears to prove that some chimps can approach human-like levels of problem solving under some circumstances.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I'm not trying to be mean, or insulting, or condescending.  You need to read more about the current state of things in evolutionary psychology and maybe biology in general.  Your assessment of the other primates is outdated.  I'm not going to try to explain the whole thing here.  I'd like it if you trusted me enough to do some reading, though.

Quote:

Are you familiar with the concept of runaway selection and how it relates to female selection?  In our earliest jumps in brain size (it happened in fits and starts, not gradually) it doesn't appear that we gained an awful lot of survival benefit.  It's much more likely that it was a more or less random choice by females.  For lots more on sexual selection and runaway, please read:

The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature  

The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature by Geoffrey Miller (Paperback - April 17, 2001)

First of all, it is far from well established that human intelligence is the result of runaway selection. You are throwing out fringe theories as if they are fact. In any event, the question of how humans got their intelligence is beside the point. You and Yellow are telling me that chimps ALREADY possess the same capabilities to model problems and invent solutions as we do. Maybe not to the same degree, but, according to you, the basic abilities are there and are no different from ours. My question is why have they not used this ability? If a chimp is smart enough to know that pouring water into a tube will cause a peanut to float to the top, then it is smart enough to know that digging up a termite mound will yield a lot more termites than just poking in a stick. What we see in normal chimp behaviour (and even the termite-stick ability is unusual and confined to one population) does not agree with what we would expect if chimps have the abilities you are ascribing to them.

My explanation of the discrepancy is that while some chimps may have some latent abilities along those lines, they are not a part of normal chimp cognitive development. The fact that the termite trick is widespread in one population is explained by cultural transmission, which is simple copying and not indicative of any human-like mental ability. 

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Actually, no.  He's not.  In some primates, they have a complex society that involves reciprocal altruism in a relatively advanced form.  Humans have evolved past Tit-for-Tat to a modified Commitment Model, but these games are on a linear scale.  In short, some primates rise to power by forming alliances, and when the alliances are formed, the males who helped the new "king" expect a return for their investment.  If they don't get it, they mount a new coup with new allies.  This involves reputation, planning, and cooperation.

Additionally, we now know that dolphins form not only alliances between individuals, but alliances between groups.  This is a big step up the societal ladder, and involves complex mechanisms for dealing with complex interactions.  Note, also, that some dolphins have passed the "self-aware" test, as have some primates.

Some of this is explained in the book I just mentioned.  More is in this one:

The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation  
The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation by Matt Ridley (Paperback - April 1, 1998)

If you want to have a really good understanding of how biology shapes the human experience, you need to read this one, too:

The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature  

The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridley (Paperback - April 29, 2003)

If you don't want to trust me when I say that you're speaking from ignorance of current science, that's your right, but I think Yellow and any other science geek will pretty much back me up on this. 

I'm not speaking from ignorance, I do try to keep up on the science news, though I don't have time for reading whole journals. I'm speaking from a difference of opinion as to the correct interpretation of the phenomena you and your authors are pointing to. The complex social interactions you point to are amazing...but almost certainly occurring with no conscious awareness on the part of the animals as to what they are doing. They just trust this individual or group over that individual without really knowing why. When people point to the human-like behaviour and say it is evidence of human-like mental processes, I have to say that they are speculating.

Here's what Dennet says in Breaking the Spell, page 111:

"There is some (controversial) evidence that a chimpanzee can believe that another agent — a chimpanzee or a human being — knows that the food is in the box rather than in the basket. This is second-order intentionality, involving beliefs about beliefs (or beliefs about desires or desires about beliefs etc), but there is no evidence (yet) that any nonhuman animal can want you to believe that it thinks you are hiding behind the tree on the left not the right (third-order intentionality). But even preschool children delight in playing games in which one child wants another to pretend to know what the first child wants the other to believe (fifth-order intentionality): 'You be the sheriff and ask me which way the robbers went!'"

I'm rather tired of quibbling over whether this ability represents a completely different ability than chimpanzees have or whether it is simply very much greater than the chimpanzee's ability. Because that is not really the point. The point is that, as a consequence of our ability, we are now subject to very different selection criteria than any other creature on the planet is, or ever has been. It is, IMO, an different kind of evolution that needs a different name.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:As a

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

That's because scientists fear language and all its potentially data-warping capabilities. As a writer, I am not afraid to call something unique when it is.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:My point

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

My point is (hopefully you've guessed it by now) that unless you can absolutely, 100 percent guarantee that Homo sapiens or any of its potential descendant species will never go extinct, you cannot even begin to talk about natural selection becoming an irrelevant force in human evolution.  Even in a Brave New World situation, in which everybody's parents are picked out for them by the state from chilled stocks of eggs and spooge (supposedly the height of a human artificial selection situation) a completely natural phenomenon like an asteroid strike or a supernova could make all that artificial selection null and void in a matter of minutes. 

But we could protect ourselves from these kinds of events right now, if we chose. This is the difference, and the whole point I'm trying to make, between our selection processes and those that impact other species. We have already eliminated most of the "natural" selection pressures that we face. Yes, some are left, but they are nearly irrelevant in the face of the much more important artifical pressures that we have imposed ourselves. By the time the next asteroid strike is due, we should have the ability to move off the planet en masse prior to impact.

- Dr. Joy Brown

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:DamnDirtyApe

Tilberian wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

That's because scientists fear language and all its potentially data-warping capabilities. As a writer, I am not afraid to call something unique when it is.

Try it in a refereed journal sometime, Mr. Writer. 

--Bertrand Russell

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You could argue that a

You could argue that a bird's nest, on a very basic scale, is artificial because it's made out of elements and does a single job.

I don't really think anything is truly artificial, with the possible exception of AI. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but everything comes from something "natural", so a natural origin most likely means a "natural" outcome.

I think we're evolving on a more intricate scale: not big, physical changes, but small, intellectual changes. At least I hope so. 

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:But we could

Tilberian wrote:

But we could protect ourselves from these kinds of events right now, if we chose. This is the difference, and the whole point I'm trying to make, between our selection processes and those that impact other species. We have already eliminated most of the "natural" selection pressures that we face. Yes, some are left, but they are nearly irrelevant in the face of the much more important artifical pressures that we have imposed ourselves. By the time the next asteroid strike is due, we should have the ability to move off the planet en masse prior to impact.

We've done this before in the "how religious are you about the future of humanity thread".  You can't pull out speculative technologies to save the human race.  And in any case, I challenge you to dodge the heat death of the universe.  Still a natural event.  If you don't survive it, you ain't naturally selected.

--Bertrand Russell

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: The

HisWillness wrote:

The words are a bit weird, though. We've decided that everything we manipulate is "artificial", and anyhing we leave alone is "natural", so you're left with a kind of fuzzy paradox. Personally, I don't think we can escape "natural", but it seems like we enjoy telling ourselves we're supernatural ... which is, of course, natural.

I agree. I think the issue with the original question is that by defining our creations as artificial, we are assuming a sort of supernatural ability. Which, I don't really buy we have. 

We're evolving, but not in the same way as other species. I don't think species ever really stop changing.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Tilberian

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Try it in a refereed journal sometime, Mr. Writer. 

You mean one of those things that are edited by scientists?

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote: You could

peppermint wrote:

You could argue that a bird's nest, on a very basic scale, is artificial because it's made out of elements and does a single job.

I don't really think anything is truly artificial, with the possible exception of AI. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but everything comes from something "natural", so a natural origin most likely means a "natural" outcome.

I think we're evolving on a more intricate scale: not big, physical changes, but small, intellectual changes. At least I hope so. 

Yep, a bird's nest is artificial.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:We've

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

We've done this before in the "how religious are you about the future of humanity thread".  You can't pull out speculative technologies to save the human race.  And in any case, I challenge you to dodge the heat death of the universe.  Still a natural event.  If you don't survive it, you ain't naturally selected.

I'll dodge the heat death of the universe by saying that it will be the end of all evolution everywhere and any species that makes it that far has ceased to evolve. And I'm not referring to speculative technologies: we could start colonizing space now, if we wanted to.

Besides, it doesn't matter. My point stands that the factors influencing human evolution are far different than those affecting the evolution of other species in that they are mainly created by the species itself. Our individual genetic makeup is an almost insignificant factor in whether we reproduce or not.

- Dr. Joy Brown