Just curious...

Knight
User is offlineOffline
Just curious...

I'm not sure if this actually belongs in the freethinking category, but anyway:

I've been wondering, is anyone currently challenging the "under God" in the pledge or "In God We Trust" on the currency? You'd think that the Supreme Court would seriously reconsider these issues...how many times have these cases reached the Supreme Court? Also, if neither cases are currently being examined, how does one go about appealing the Supreme Court? I honestly don't understand why both of these phrases still exist. We aren't even "fighting" Communism anymore (that is, there's no more Red Scare--or at least no where near to the extent that it used to be). I do believe this is why the "under God" was placed in the Pledge...and now times have changed.

If the Supreme Court has dismissed this case, did they at least give a reason?

joewhyit
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure if there are

I'm not sure if there are any active cases regarding this issue, and I'd be willing to bet it's thanks to a certain level of apathy towards the subject from a sizable portion of the population. The thought that "Oh, it's not hurting anything for it to be there.", or some such. Personally, I'd love to see "E Pluribus Unum" be reinstated as the national motto, and "under God" to be pulled from the pledge, but I just don't see it taking place unless a concerted effort is made to get it done.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
So the story goes that

So the story goes that Michael Newdow's successful challenge at the 9th circuit court (this was for the pledge) was struck down because his personal stake in the matter was deemed insignificant because his daughter (who was the injured party  The money issue's going to be more difficult.  He's trying again, representing an atheist mother and daughter.  The case is easy enough to win, given how blatantly unconstitutional the 1952 addition was.  You just have to get heard.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd just like to point out

I'd just like to point out the majority very rarely makes history. In general they remain pretty apathetic. They typically go along with the changes brought about by the active and determined minorities. I we want something done about this we can't go waiting for the majority of Americans to take a stand, most probably just don't care.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Baby Steps   

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
IMO, Having "under god" in

IMO, Having "under god" in the pledge and "In god we trust" on the currency is very obviously unconstitutional.  I'm not sure how anyone can make a good argument that they should stay.  We all know that they should be removed, and that they never should have been implemented in the first place.

...That being said.  This topic is far from the top of my list of things we should be focusing our attention and resources on.  There are far worse things that religion is doing to our country and our planet that needs to be solved before we go to court over something that doesn't really have a direct effect on us.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Knight
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote:IMO, Having

V1per41 wrote:

IMO, Having "under god" in the pledge and "In god we trust" on the currency is very obviously unconstitutional.  I'm not sure how anyone can make a good argument that they should stay.  We all know that they should be removed, and that they never should have been implemented in the first place.

...That being said.  This topic is far from the top of my list of things we should be focusing our attention and resources on.  There are far worse things that religion is doing to our country and our planet that needs to be solved before we go to court over something that doesn't really have a direct effect on us.

I agree. If anything, such an event might hurt this intellectual movement because of the very easily angered fundamental Americans. Smiling I don't think America is ready for this yet!

As I said in the title of this topic, I was just curious.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Knight wrote:I agree. If

Knight wrote:

I agree. If anything, such an event might hurt this intellectual movement because of the very easily angered fundamental Americans. Smiling I don't think America is ready for this yet!

Strangely, the America of 200 years ago was quite ready for it. It's pretty disheartening that America isn't ready for stuff it was the vanguard for 200 years ago.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence