Is Religion Just Weird?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Is Religion Just Weird?

I was thinking of this after the Noon news was replaced by live coverage of the funeral of a Philadelphia cop recently killed in the line of duty. It was a Catholic funeral - apparently Catholic funerals focus on Jesus rather than the person who actually died and include things like puting different cloths over the casket and sprinkling it with holy water. To me this is just as silly as sacraficing goats or puting curses on people. I might not understand never having been particularly religious - but is it just me or is religion just plain fucking weird?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always found funerals

I've always found funerals to be insulting and off-putting.  I think, like so many other things, religion tells us we have a problem, offers us a solution, and then tells us it has a fix for the new (very real) problem we have because we believed we had a problem in the first place.

Funerals, in theory, are for people to say goodbye to someone they cared about, and to connect or reconnect with others in their circle.  Putting a religious spin on it just creates divisions.  It would be a lot better, IMO, if they were secular, and people could have their own private religious moments if they so desired.

Then again, I'm asking people to give up acknowledging the thing they claim is the biggest draw about religion... where you go when you die...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I was just pointing out

I was just pointing out funerals as an example - I would also include all the bizarre riuals every religion practices and beliefs that if they weren't held by many people would get you locked up in the wacky ward if you expressed them.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was just pointing

Quote:
I was just pointing out funerals as an example - I would also include all the bizarre riuals every religion practices and beliefs that if they weren't held by many people would get you locked up in the wacky ward if you expressed them.

Yep.  The more I learn about the human psyche, the more I realize how powerful social convention is.  You're exactly right.  Explain most religious practices in detail to someone who didn't have religion or social ties to that group, and they'll sound pretty crazy.  It just goes to show how strong is our need to be part of the group.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've always found

I've always found Christian funerals to be reflective of John the Baptist's statement regarding the superiority of Jesus to himself--"I must decrease and He must increase" or some such twaddle.  Christians routinely interpret this as a call to sublimate their own desires for the needs of the faith.  I suppose that when you're at room temperature, there really isn't enough of you left to fight against that noble impulse, and the preacher runs with it, giving the dead some kind words, but spending the majority of his time talking about new, perfect bodies and the happiness on the other side of this veil of tears.

My grandfather's funeral was actually a keystone moment in my own development as an aggressive atheist--he was a religious man to be sure, but the insistence that the gathered family sing "Jesus loves me" was over the line.  A bit of doggerel written for three year olds stands in stark juxtaposition with a man who killed hundreds of other humans with the aid of Howitzers and windage calculation books.  That's not to say that he was nothing more than a soldier, but his religion definitely never gave him cause to regret his actions.  I don't regret them either, but one would think Gentle Jesus would.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

kaab
User is offlineOffline
yes, it is just weird

Matt, you would not believe just how weird it can actually be, but then again you problably do. My wifes stepmother is this nut who goes to every funeral baptism wedding etc that she can as long as it is in a Catholic church. I think I have told this story before, but I will repeat it here. she is also the nut that ran after  bill clinton when he was on a jog in houston and screamed at him, " We don't want scum like you in our neighborhood" it was on CNN.

yes, religion is just plaain weird, and it is just plain obnoxious as well.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
kaab wrote:Matt, you would

kaab wrote:

Matt, you would not believe just how weird it can actually be, but then again you problably do. My wifes stepmother is this nut who goes to every funeral baptism wedding etc that she can as long as it is in a Catholic church. I think I have told this story before, but I will repeat it here. she is also the nut that ran after  bill clinton when he was on a jog in houston and screamed at him, " We don't want scum like you in our neighborhood" it was on CNN.

yes, religion is just plaain weird, and it is just plain obnoxious as well.

Wow! Did she get PWNED by the secret service?

kaab
User is offlineOffline
yes

yeah, the secret service ran up beside her and then her husband ran up, his name is Wayman Chunn, and they put Stun guns right up to his neck. I know it might sound like I am name dropping here but you should google this guy, he is a puredee fruitcake.. he actually bragged to ;me that he killed an abortion doctor but they would never be able to prove it. I totally realize that this sounds like some nut talking shit, but look it up. I hate this guy and I don't give a shit what I say about him.

kaab
User is offlineOffline
they also have numbers

they also have numbers written above their frnt door "178 + 347 + 632 JP" an;d to tell you some more shit about these fruits, I tried to be a nice guy and when they came and visited us in Alaska, they stayed at my house for two weeks and I fed them fresh salmom and moose meat and let them meet my friends and everything, I even took these scumbags out on my boat on the Yukon river, and to make a long story short,when I got down to Houston, they told my wife that I wasn't welcome at their house.

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are a lot of human

There are a lot of human behaviors I find bizarre sometimes, religious or not. Dancing, for example, is a pretty strange behavior if you think about it.

But, yeah, religious rituals take the cake. And, oddly, the more showy it is, the less bizarre it seems. Watch some televangelical nutcase hopping around and speaking tongues and, yeah, it's weird but you sort of expect it so you're not surprised. Watch a show like The 700 Club, however, where they are all calm and dead serious and you actually start to get scared. For some unknown reason (probably something akin to the inability to look away from a horrible car crash) I watched a bit of The 700 Club tonight. It was really disturbing to watch these people talk about how this weekend's Global Day of Prayer "will help usher in this end times revival" with huge smiles on their faces. Are these people for real?!

Hours later I'm still trying to shake the creepy feeling.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/372015.aspx

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Let the Bodies Hit the

Religion is the D E V I L     .... on the TV too .... sue the FCC ....

"Let the Bodies Hit the Floor"  ((( Benny Hinn is on the huge TV , go figure    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  POWER GREED STUPIDITY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

( p.s. - Living is our only problem, not dying. Religion spreads fear, confusion and separation. )

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religious funerals are

Religious funerals are really insulting.A few months ago my step-bother's best friend died in a terrible car accident. He wasn't religious at all, but obviously there was a pastor at the funeral. Apparently he barely talked about the deceased and spent most of the time trying to sell jesus and implying people there would be going to hell otherwise etc. Somehow I'm not surprised that he would have such disrespect for the deceased and everyone else. What did theists ever know about living.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.neptunesociety.com

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:...-

MattShizzle wrote:

...- apparently Catholic funerals focus on Jesus rather than the person who actually died ...

Sounds exactly like a Baptist funeral I went to last year. My brother-in-law's wife's mother died in a freak car accident.

If I hadn't been sitting with in the front of the church in the family section, I would have walked out about 10 minutes into the pastor's lecture (and it was a lecture). I can't recall every bit of insanity that came out of his mouth, but the two things I remember were 1) the woman wasn't really dead (he must have said this 5 or 6 times...I guess he hadn't seen the death certificate yet...) and 2) all nonbelievers are going to hell.

And that was only about 10 minutes into an hour-long diatribe.

Religion is weird.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
When my Stepmother died, the

When my Stepmother died, the pastor constantly talked about Jesus. He said, maybe, 3-4 minutes worth of stuff about Pam (my step-mom) and about an hours worth of stuffs about Jesus, god, etc. It was incredibly insulting, especially since I had never heard her say a word about religion in my 6 some years of knowing her.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Check out This_thread I just

Check out This_thread I just posted for another example of the extremely weird and downright insane behavior religion can inspire.

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like those shows with the

I like those shows with the faith healers that put their hand on someone's head and shout something like, "Devil be gone!" then that person flops to the ground and starts wigging out.  I think it'd be a lot of fun to go to one of those live and be 'healed'.  I wouldn't react at all the first time, then ask him to do it again, then I go completely over the top with violent seizures and babbling in some language I don't even know.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
kaab wrote:they also have

kaab wrote:

they also have numbers written above their frnt door "178 + 347 + 632 JP" an;d to tell you some more shit about these fruits, I tried to be a nice guy and when they came and visited us in Alaska, they stayed at my house for two weeks and I fed them fresh salmom and moose meat and let them meet my friends and everything, I even took these scumbags out on my boat on the Yukon river, and to make a long story short,when I got down to Houston, they told my wife that I wasn't welcome at their house.

Hey, Kaab, way off-topic here, but were are you in AK? I was born and raised there, 'til I was 37. (No, not Anchorage. I spent my army years at Ft. Richardson, and so I lived in Anchorage for a few years, but got the hell out of there as soon as I was discharged.)

Anyway, just to contribute to this thread:

This weekend, my wife & I went to spend a day in Amish country, in mid-Ohio. Talk about strange things done in the name of Christ. No electricity, still drive buggies, no mirrors in the house, no education past the eighth grade. At least they let their kids go out on rumspringa.

It was beautiful and peaceful, though.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

kaab
User is offlineOffline
yes and no

got the hell out of there would describe my reaction to 27 years of Fort  Worth, Taxes. I "involuntarily" left Alaska because my fruitcake wife had me thrown in jail and took off back to Taxes with our kids. I was just in Ohio as well, I think those Amish are some strange folk. they take greyhound buses all the time, just go to the Dayton, springfield, or Cleveland stations if you don't believe me, yet they don't believe in having their own autos. I have seen them many times standing at the station and have some person who has good intentions no doubt, come up to them and try to strike up a talk at them, and every time, without fail, they just get stares, maybe smiles from the girls, but the cold shoulder nonetheless. and these people know how to speak English, but they won't unless it is to their benefit or very necessary. in fact, they speak very clear, concise English.

Jiggles Vibe
User is offlineOffline
a thought occurred,anybody

a thought occurred,

anybody ever notice the communion ordeal (bread and Wine, probably laced w/ mind numbing substances) as a way to lure people into Jesus's word? I bet none of them were sober after taking the bait and could not tell whether he was for real or not.

That's how Christianity really got started! weird.

"The longer you live the higher you fly,
the smiles you'll give and the tears you'll cry,
all you touch and all you see,
is all your life will ever be."
-Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MUSHROOMS and RELIGION

MUSHROOMS and RELIGION ???

About Mushrooms influence, RELIGIOUS ART, Santa Claus ?  MUST SEE MOVIES

"The Pharmacratic Inquisition" , 3.5 hrs  full length

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4555365073003895154

Pharmacratic Inquisition trailer - 6 min  ( no the music doesn't make it true ! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_FvjBShg4

(The movie is in YouTube also, in parts ) 

some quick reading,  "The psychedelic secrets of Santa Claus"     http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/dec99.html

Lots more on line
--------------------------------------------

ROOK, Any thoughts ???        I AM still god as you, either way !