Light Beer

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Light Beer

Light beer is seriously an abomination before the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Regular mass market beer (Bud, Miller, Coors) already sucks ass and is like making love in a canoe (fucking close to water) and they want to dilute it even more? If someone wants it like that how hard would it be to pour in a glass and add a little water (beer should always be drank from a glass)?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Diluted alcohol is such a

Diluted alcohol is such a terrible invention only Americans could have thought of it.May breweries forgive you.

MattShizzle wrote:

(beer should always be drank from a glass)

Real men(or women) drink from the bottle.Drinking from a can is always the worst.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Light beer

MattShizzle wrote:

Light beer is seriously an abomination before the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Regular mass market beer (Bud, Miller, Coors) already sucks ass and is like making love in a canoe (fucking close to water) and they want to dilute it even more? If someone wants it like that how hard would it be to pour in a glass and add a little water (beer should always be drank from a glass)?

Light Beer is more pointless than diet soda.  if you want to be healthy, save a step and just don't drink the stuff period.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Diluted alcohol is

Loc wrote:

Diluted alcohol is such a terrible invention only Americans could have thought of it.May breweries forgive you.

MattShizzle wrote:

Real men(or women) drink from the bottle.Drinking from a can is always the worst.

Women drink Wine coolers and Mike's Hard Cock . . err Lemonade . . .

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: Women

illeatyourdog wrote:

Not the ones I know.I hang with the hardcore chicks..

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually there is a good

Actually there is a good point of diet soda - diabetics and people wanting to lose weight.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:illeatyourdog

Loc wrote:

illeatyourdog wrote:

Not the ones I know.I hang with the hardcore chicks..

So whose Hard . . . . . Lemonade do they drink?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Actually

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually there is a good point of diet soda - diabetics

A diabetic who wants to drink soda is like someone who is lactose intolerant wanting to drink milk.

Quote:
and people wanting to lose weight.

Again, save a step and don't drink soda.  Drink fruit smoothies or water.   Besides, the fake sugar is actually worse for you than the real sugar so in both cases, it is simply better to just not drink soda if the point is to be healthier.  If they don't care about being healthy then who gives a shit if its diet or not? 

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Light beer can also refer to

Light beer can also refer to low-alcohol beer. I can understand why you might want to be able to drink more beer without getting smashed, but I can't understand why you'd want to drink more terrible beer.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blame Canada....

Say what you will about Canada... they make GREAT beer.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
When Miller introduced

When Miller introduced Miller Lite, several beer companies had already tried and failed.  Miller was doing market research to try to find out why, and also to figure out what gimmick they needed.  One of the researchers went to this po-dunk, out of the way place in the Midwest because this one bar was selling double the amount of any other bar its size. 

The previous ad campaigns had dealt with watching your figure.  They promised that you could drink light beer and not have to worry about a beer gut.  They thought that women would be a good target, since women's consumption of beer had been rising for 20 years.  Naturally, they thought, you should target their desire to be attractive.

Turns out, they were wrong.  When the researcher got to the bar, it was filled with big burly construction worker types with beer guts.  Puzzled, the researcher asked these guys, who obviously didn't mind putting a few quarter pounders down over lunch, why they were drinking light beer.  They said, "Well, it's simple.  With regular beer, you drink four or five, and you're bloated and full.  No matter how much you'd like to stay out, it's just not fun anymore.  With this light beer, we can drink more.  That means we don't have to go home to our wives until later."

Thus, "Less Filling, Tastes Great" was born.  Remember how they had all the big football player guys in those commercials?  That was their audience.. not women.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Say what

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Say what you will about Canada... they make GREAT beer.

rAmen to that.

Big Rock Brewery from Calgary makes a kick-ass porter (note to visiting Americans: it's at 8.5%, so drinking three of them is the equivalent ethanol intake of about eight American beers).  Actually Big Rock's stuff is all pretty good.

Although single malt is always a good night, too.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm diabetic and drink

I'm diabetic and drink probably close to a gallon of diet soda a day - that much real sugar - including that in a fruit smoothie which would also be a pain in the ass to make all the time (I live in the middle of nowhere) would probably kill me. And water sucks. Drinking a glass of water is like drinking a glass of nothing.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm diabetic and drink

Quote:
I'm diabetic and drink probably close to a gallon of diet soda a day - that much real sugar - including that in a fruit smoothie which would also be a pain in the ass to make all the time (I live in the middle of nowhere) would probably kill me. And water sucks. Drinking a glass of water is like drinking a glass of nothing.

Diet Coke conspiracy or no, that's way too much soda.  I gave up soda almost completely about ten years ago, and the health benefits have been tangible.  I've also had issues with crappy water.  I find that making strong iced tea helps a lot to mask the flavor of bad water.  (Don't kid yourself about the quality of water in bottles, by the way.)  If you don't sweeten your tea, you're drinking a LOT healthier.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:rAmen to

shikko wrote:

rAmen to that.

Big Rock Brewery from Calgary makes a kick-ass porter (note to visiting Americans: it's at 8.5%, so drinking three of them is the equivalent ethanol intake of about eight American beers).  Actually Big Rock's stuff is all pretty good.

Bah. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine is also kickass, at 9.6%.

My wife prefers porters. Great Lakes Brewery here in Cleveland makes the Edmond Fitzgerald Porter, which is very nice. It's almost an imperial stout. My favorite is their Nosferatu Red, though.

I have a clone brew going at home right now. I'm doing up an imitation Mac & Jacks, which is out of Redmond, WA. It's the only good thing to come of of Redmond, near as I can tell. It is also very good.

So, though Canadians make some decent beer, the US has its share of damned good beer, too. Just stay away from Miller & Coors and especially Budweiser, the Microsoft of beers.

Quote:

Another scotch drinker! Fantastic.

What's your favorite scotch?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:shikko

nigelTheBold wrote:

shikko wrote:

rAmen to that.

Yep. Just bought a case of it Saturday.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I'm

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Diet Coke conspiracy or no, that's way too much soda.  I gave up soda almost completely about ten years ago, and the health benefits have been tangible.  I've also had issues with crappy water.  I find that making strong iced tea helps a lot to mask the flavor of bad water.  (Don't kid yourself about the quality of water in bottles, by the way.)  If you don't sweeten your tea, you're drinking a LOT healthier.

Bleh. I just don't like water period - it's bland. And unsweetened tea would make me vomit.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Bleh. I just don't

Quote:
Bleh. I just don't like water period - it's bland. And unsweetened tea would make me vomit.

heh..

Well, what I did was gradually reduce the amount of sugar I put into my tea.  I went from almost two cups per pitcher down to a half a cup, in 1/4 cup increments, giving myself a month or so to get used to each step.  From half a cup, it was easy to go to unsweet.

Now, I can't drink sweet tea. It almost turns my stomach.

Bottom line is, if you're concerned about all those chemicals you're taking in, there are alternatives.  If not, it's definitely not my place to tell you any different.  It's your body.

Books about atheism

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Diluted alcohol is

Loc wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Agreed on the can, not on the bottle. I used to be with you on that, then spoke w/ an Eastern European about how much flavor is opened up by pouring into a glass or ceramic. Think wine. Open it up, pour it out to open flavor. Same w/ beer. Try it! Smiling

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Canned beer sucks - hate the

Canned beer sucks - hate the metallic taste it gets. Good beer generally isn't available in cans anyway.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote:Light beer

stillmatic wrote:

Light beer can also refer to low-alcohol beer. I can understand why you might want to be able to drink more beer without getting smashed, but I can't understand why you'd want to drink more terrible beer.

I thought the whole point to drinking beer is to get smashed.  I have yet to hear a drinking story which goes like "Yeah, my friends and I had a few beers but stopped ourselves before getting hammered and then all got home safely without incident."  Besides, isn't being proud of putting a bunch of light beers in you like being proud of beating up a baby (i.e. its so easy its pointless)?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'm

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm diabetic and drink probably close to a gallon of diet soda a day - that much real sugar - including that in a fruit smoothie which would also be a pain in the ass to make all the time (I live in the middle of nowhere) would probably kill me.

The fruit smoothies was in reference to people wanting to be healthy nto necessarily diabetics.  And isnt a gallon of soda a day, regardless if its diet or no diet, just bad for you?  I don't even drink that much soda a day. 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:shikko

nigelTheBold wrote:

shikko wrote:

rAmen to that.

<beer nerditry>I'm talking purely stuff sold as "beer" which in the states, IIRC, can't contain more than 3.2% alcohol.</beer nerditry>

I've actually never had barleywine anything, but my brother raves about some of the stuff he's had so  I'll see what I can find and give it a whirl.

Quote:

My wife prefers porters. Great Lakes Brewery here in Cleveland makes the Edmond Fitzgerald Porter, which is very nice. It's almost an imperial stout. My favorite is their Nosferatu Red, though.

Gotta love drinks named after disasters.  "I'll have a pint of Podunk Brewing Mine Collapse, please."

We've got the Irish Car Bomb, so how long until someone makes a Twin Towers Lager or Branch Davidian Chardonnay?

Quote:

So, though Canadians make some decent beer, the US has its share of damned good beer, too. Just stay away from Miller & Coors and especially Budweiser, the Microsoft of beers.

I never meant to impugn the beermaking abilities of Americans; I was just pointing out that what is sold as "beer" south of the 49th is quite a bit weaker than its northern counterparts.  Also not claiming that Canadians CAN'T make bad beer (I'm looking at you, Labatt).

Quote:

Quote:

Another scotch drinker! Fantastic.

What's your favorite scotch?

Love me some Highland Park 10yr.

I also have a serious case of like for Aberlour, Macallan, Auchentoshan, Glendronach, Caol Ila...come to think of it, there aren't many single malts I've tried and HAVEN'T liked.  Some have definite "times" for drinking (Laphroaig on a blustery winter night, in front of a fire), but I'm having a hard time thinking of one I thought wasn't fit to drink.

I'm also a wine, gin, dark rum, and bourbon fan, listed in order of experience base.

Ahh, booze; is there anything you can't do?

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:<beer

shikko wrote:

<beer nerditry>I'm talking purely stuff sold as "beer" which in the states, IIRC, can't contain more than 3.2% alcohol.</beer nerditry>

Not true. Major beer geek here - I even made my own for a while. In some states that's true - most liquor laws here vary widely state to state - in PA grocery stores can't sell any alcohol - have to buy liquor and wine (other than in restaurants/bars where you drink it on premises) from stores owned by the state (wine you can buy at the winery that makes it) Beer you can either get by the 6 pack in a bar or case of 24 from the distributor. They sell Brooklyn Monster Ale (11% ABV) with "beer" on the case/label here.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:<beer nerditry>I'm

Quote:

Yep.  In Georgia, I think it's 14%

(That's recent, though.  Used to be 5.1%)

Quote:
We've got the Irish Car Bomb, so how long until someone makes a Twin Towers Lager or Branch Davidian Chardonnay?

That's a damn fine question.  I'm guessing the Branch Davidian exists somewhere.  Twin Towers... gonna be a tough sell.

Quote:
I never meant to impugn the beermaking abilities of Americans; I was just pointing out that what is sold as "beer" south of the 49th is quite a bit weaker than its northern counterparts.  Also not claiming that Canadians CAN'T make bad beer (I'm looking at you, Labatt).

American microbrews have really picked up the slack left by a lot of the major brewers.  I'm quite fond of Hebrew beer.  The Messiah Bold is very good, as is the Jewbilation.  Also worth trying is the Sweetwater IPA.  (Sweetwater is right down the road from me, so their stuff is everywhere around here.)

Hell, as cheap ass beer goes, it's hard for me to find better than Pennsylvania's finest.. Yuengling.  About as cheap as PBR, and much more flavor.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yuengling is good for

Yuengling is good for something cheap - the brewery is only about 40 miles away from me - up until a few years ago you couldn't get it outside Eastern PA - though I've heard it isn't cheap further away. It's about $18 a case here now - was about $14 about a year ago until beer prices shot way up. Reading beer is another decent cheap one, but don't know how far away you can get it. There are real microbrews in PA -Victory and Stoudts are about the best. Victory makes one called Blithering Idiot that is over 11% alcohol. And an 8% known as Hop Wallop IPA (VERY bitter and hoppy.) Strongest beer I ever made was a Barleywine I called "Old Cutthroat" whcih was super hoppy and 10.5% Alcohol by Volume (You use a hydrometer before and after fermentation to determine alcohol level.)

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great joke

A beer convention is going on,   and one day at lunch  three brewery CEO's find themselves at the same table.  A waiter steps up to take the orders,    "What will you sirs have this day?"   The CEO of Budwiser says "I'll have the special with a bud lite."   The CEO of Miller's says "I'll have a Steak with mashed potatos, with a Miller Lite."   The CEO of Molsen's (Canadian) says  "I'll have the chefs salad, with fries-gravey- and a small coke."   The waiter leaves   and the  CEO's start in.  "Hey why didn't you even ask for your own drink,   why the coke?"

The Ceo of Molsen's said "I noticed that you gentilmen were not drinking beer so I thought I wouldn't bothewer either."

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
The joke

After reading the recipes being swapped here making me kind of thirsty.  I was just thinking of my oldest daughter living in Mississippi in what is called a dry county.  I never knew such a thing even existed.  My second daughter was in Florida where she says liquor is sold 24/7.  I guess the senior citizens think they might not live till tomorrow, so they want their alcohol NOW!   My youngest daughter, what a sweetheart has finally learned what it means to not drink the last beer in the frig and by all means buy more.  BTW I loved the joke at the end.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the very idea of a dry

Yeah, the very idea of a dry county is idiotic and ought to be illegal. I'm surprised it doesn't anger the Flying Spaghetti Monster enough to make it rain marinara sauce there. That "In Heaven there ain't no beer" song is another reason that even if Chrstianity were true I'd rather go to Hell. The Flying Spaghetti Monster would probably consider that song either blasphemy or heresy as the Pastafarian version of Heaven includes a beer volcano.

Speaking of which, the Weyerbacher brewery (also in PA) makes an Imperial Stout called "Heresy!" They also make a raspberry Imperial Stout called "Old Heathen" and another very strong beer known as "Blasphemy." Wonder if the owners are atheists?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Are we ALL , (reading this),

Are we ALL , (reading this), spoiled enough yet ? Nope, not even close .... Drop "Beer Bombs" to the needy with peanuts  .....  instead of explosions .....  

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

stillmatic wrote:

I thought the whole point to drinking beer is to get smashed.  I have yet to hear a drinking story which goes like "Yeah, my friends and I had a few beers but stopped ourselves before getting hammered and then all got home safely without incident."  Besides, isn't being proud of putting a bunch of light beers in you like being proud of beating up a baby (i.e. its so easy its pointless)?

I drink beer because it tastes amazing (assuming it's good beer). But maybe I'm just past the age when it's cool to get shitfaced just to tell my friends how shitfaced I got. Not to mention that if I was looking to get drunk, beer would make me bloated way before it made me loaded. Bring on the rum.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Puzzled,

Hambydammit wrote:

Puzzled, the researcher asked these guys, who obviously didn't mind putting a few quarter pounders down over lunch, why they were drinking light beer.  They said, "Well, it's simple.  With regular beer, you drink four or five, and you're bloated and full.  No matter how much you'd like to stay out, it's just not fun anymore.  With this light beer, we can drink more.  That means we don't have to go home to our wives until later."

My husband drinks light beer at home, though, so he's obviously not using it as an excuse to stay out later.

Oh, hmmmm, maybe he's using it to make me look better longer.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beer should be served at

Beer should be served at room temperature (unless it's lager). Chilling it weakens the flavour.

It should preferably be served from a pump, by the pint.

It should be served in a pint glass, dimple pot or tankard.

It should always yeild strange and unexpected flavours.

It should always be made by small local breweries, not mass produced with chemicals.

The only time cheap cans of piss are acceptible is at a party when it really doesn't matter what you're drinking so long as it gets you merry.

American beer is an abomination and should not be drunken at any costs!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Room temperature beer is

Room temperature beer is terrible - there are plenty of good American beers, they just don't get exported (and often don't leave the region, state or even pub where they're brewed.)

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I think it could be

I think it could be something to do with climate. In summer I do like cold beer. But often in the middle of winter, you don't want a refreshing drink, you want a hearty beer. In my experience it's only English beer which should be drunk at room temperature, other beer is fine cold. I'm a fan of English ale.  

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

heh..

Well, what I did was gradually reduce the amount of sugar I put into my tea.  I went from almost two cups per pitcher down to a half a cup, in 1/4 cup increments, giving myself a month or so to get used to each step.  From half a cup, it was easy to go to unsweet.

Now, I can't drink sweet tea. It almost turns my stomach.

Bottom line is, if you're concerned about all those chemicals you're taking in, there are alternatives.  If not, it's definitely not my place to tell you any different.  It's your body.

I used to drink copious amounts of regular Coke, then I read something or other about 'liquid calories" which made me think about it a bit.  I don't know what the difference is, aren't calories calories no matter what?  Regardless, it led me to actually read the labels on Coke and Diet Coke, and according to this, there is less of both (sugar and calories) in Diet Coke, so I decided to try it for a while, and lost about....mmmm 10kg I would say.  However, this was in conjunction with some intense (by my standards!) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training.  After a while, when I tried to drink normal Coke I thought to myself "HOLY FUUUUUCK! This is so sickly sweet, how could I have drunk so much of this"

So, if the nutritional information on the label is to be trusted, I should be taking in many less calories, I really can taste the difference, and I don't miss regular Coke.

Of course, I am still taking in all that caffeine.  I'm not really aware of the detrimental effects of this besides its supposedly addictive nature, does anybody have any reliable info?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't care much for the

I don't care much for the British beers I've had, but I suspect from the off tastes and what I know they were ruined on the trip over. British styles are my favorite - India Pale Ales and Imperial Stouts. I was able to once have Thomas Hardy Ale which was great.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Biff:  "I have your car

Biff:  "I have your car towed all the way back to your house, and all you've got for me is light beer?"

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I don't

MattShizzle wrote:

I don't care much for the British beers I've had, but I suspect from the off tastes and what I know they were ruined on the trip over. British styles are my favorite - India Pale Ales and Imperial Stouts. I was able to once have Thomas Hardy Ale which was great.

A lot of it often tastes like copper. I don't like those ones too much. But a good  solid ale is fantastic. Old Peculier, Lancaster Bomber, YUM!!

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Biff:  "I have

jmm wrote:

Biff:  "I have your car towed all the way back to your house, and all you've got for me is light beer?"

THINK MCFLY!!!  THINK!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Speckled Hen is also

Old Speckled Hen is also pretty damn good.

Let's see if I can remember everything I wanted to respond to:

America has a particular penchant for getting smashed while drinking.  Not that other countries don't do it, but drinking is seen as somewhat taboo here, and there are so many people telling you why you shouldn't do it, it doesn't surprise me that people drink to get smashed more here.

Having said that, I know a lot of people who drink one or two and go home.  I think age has a lot to do with it.

There's a lot of information out there about particular chemicals in soft drinks, particularly diet, that are bad for you in large doses.  A calorie is a calorie.  Unsweet tea is demonstrably much better for you than soda.  Frankly, almost anything is better for you than soda.  Beer is better for you than soda.

I've had some of the Victory beers.  I find most of them to be a little over the top.  I feel like saying, "Ok... I get it.  Hops.  You like hops.  Could we have, I don't know... maybe... some other flavor besides hops?"

I like beers with sublety.  I find Victory to be very "in your face." 

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm a hophead. I'm

Well, I'm a hophead. I'm guessing you had Hop Wallop or some kind of India Pale Ale, which is SUPPOSED to be hoppy. Golden Monkey is high alcohol and has no noticable hop flavor. I know they have other ones that aren't. If you don't want alot of hops look for the right style - something like a lager, belgian, Bock, etc - and avoid India Pale Ale, West-coast or west-coast style barleywines and some pilseners (Michelobe or Miller call their beer "a fine pilsener" but that's like calling Thuderbird a great Chianti..)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was just using the Hop

I was just using the Hop Wallop as an example.  I also find the Golden Monkey to be over the top.  It's just too much work for me to drink more than one of any of the Victory beers.  What's that other one I had... Pils... That one, too.

It's not that I don't like beers with bold flavors.  I compare it to food.  Sometimes less is more.  For instance, when I make chili, I don't make super-hot chili.  I try to incorporate hotness into other flavors, so that the heat accentuates other flavors, or kicks in after other flavors have worked their way through the palette.  I like my alcohol to do the same thing.

I also like hops, but to me, a beer as hoppy as Hop Wallop... (Hop Wallop?  Don't they do Hop Devil?   Or am I thinking of another brewer?)  is akin to putting so much pepper into pepper gravy that you don't taste the gravy.  A good example of a hoppy beer with a lot of other things going on is Sam Smith Organic Ale.  You know you're drinking hops, but there's a lot of other things dancing around, too.  I like Red Hook IPA and Sweetwater IPA, primarily because both are pretty complex without being completely overpowering.

Barleywines are relatively new to me.  We just don't see a lot of that down here.

Now that I think about it, I think part of the problem with some of the Victory is that their alcohol content is so high that they have to create a very heavy handed flavor profile to compensate.  As I'm going through the hoppy beers that I like, all of them tend to be in the 5-6% range.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure but I think Hop

I'm not sure but I think Hop Devil is Weyerbacher (to me it's not hoppy enough for an IPA.) I'm actually drinking a hop wallop as I'm writing this! That and Anderson Valley IPA are my favorites. I tend to like very strong flavors - though there is such a thing as too much in heat (ie anything using capsaicin extracts.)  I rarely drink 2 of the same beer in the same night - I usually have several cases and 1 of each in the fridge - then I drink maybe 6 different ones.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I usually have several

Quote:
I usually have several cases and 1 of each in the fridge - then I drink maybe 6 different ones.

That's damn respectable.

Books about atheism