Here's an interesting article I found

CircleK
CircleK's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's an interesting article I found

http://www.unintimidatedpress.com/christianity.htm

If this has been posted already then just delete this thread. Otherwise I found the angle that this article comes from to be very unique and extremely persuasive.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cool essay, thanks, CircleK

Cool essay, thanks, CircleK for being a 'Rational Responder' ....

My late agnostic atheists,  Dad and Mom, use to read alot to us lucky 5 kids. Dad especially loved, Russell, Einstien, Jung, Sagan .... Mom loved Gibran, Oliver Goldsmith, Samuel Johnson .... geezz , they were a cool team ....

The lives of all them writers is also interesting. " About everything that Goldsmith wrote, serious or sportive, there was a certain natural grace and decorum, hardly to be expected from a man a great part of whose life had been passed among thieves and beggars, street-walkers and merryandrews, in those squalid dens which are the reproach of great capitals."

"Why I Am Not A Christian", by Bertrand Russell , 1927
http://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/whynot.html

"I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world."

"Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes....A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men."

> Some good essays by, Keith Parsons: "Why I Am Not a Christian" (( Google that etc when links don't work ))

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/keith_parsons/whynotchristian.html

OR:  

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/keith_parsons/

from Bertrand Russell's classic Marriage and Morals:
The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was ... based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable. A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by sane people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life (Russell, 1929, p. 48).

Thomas Paine spoke truly:
Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon rather than the Word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and for my part, I sincerely detest it as I detest all that is cruel (Paine, 1974, p. 60).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_am_not_a_Christian
Why I Am Not a Christian is an essay by the British philosopher Bertrand Russell hailed by The Independent as "devastating in its use of cold logic," and listed in the New York Public Library's list of the most influential books of the 20th century.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In 2007 alone, the

Quote:

In 2007 alone, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated that the total number of people who would die around the world that year would be equal to approximately 55,238,376 people. That breaks down to 151,338 a day, 6305 an hour, or 105 people a minute. To keep up with that rate of death God would literally have to cast judgment at a rate of almost two people per second. That would give God just .57 seconds to judge someone before having to move on to the next person. And because people don't stop dying, God would have to maintain that rate around the clock, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Is this starting to sound just a wee bit on the absurd side to you?

Quote:

I don't expect Christianity to go the way of the dinosaur anytime soon. There appears to be a natural human desire to want to believe that there's some sort of supreme being looking over your shoulder keeping an eye out for you. Religion fills that void; it's a crutch for some people. There's also a lot of people making a lot of money off Christianity. It's in reality just like a business or enterprise. As long as there's a buck to be made from it there'll be people who are going to pitch it. And as long as there's people who are willing to throw their hard-earned dollars at them, there's no telling how long it will go on.

Some good points in that article.

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good article,abit skimpy on

Good article,abit skimpy on solid facts and examples though.I would agree with IAGAY and suggest Bernard Russels' "Why I am not a christian.' It was very good.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.