Bill Says - "Pray for Hillary."

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Says - "Pray for Hillary."

Fuck it. I've now completely lost patience with the Clinton campaign. Go Barack!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/05/bill-clinton-as.html

Bill Clinton Asks N.C. Churchgoers to Pray for Hillary

May 04, 2008 2:28 PM

MichaelJames

-->

ABC News' Sarah Amos reports: Former President Bill Clinton spent time in two western North Carolina churches this morning, speaking more from his heart than any sort of political handbook.

"I didn't come here to ask you to vote for my wife," said Clinton, addressing the congregation at Church of the Pentacostal in Asheville, N.C. "I came here to ask you to pray for her. And to vote. Do whatever you want. Show up. Our country is in dire distress.

"I just want you to pray for her and to make your voices heard," he added. "Do whatever you think is right. But don't sit this out, because we are being called upon to return to our true purpose."

Clinton spoke of his long relationship with the Pentacostal church, thanking them for all the support they have given him over the years.

The small but enthusiastic congregation, whose church is nestled between the mountains of Asheville, listened attentively as Clinton told stories of his relationship with the church over the years. Clinton even spoke about how Barbara Streisand was inspired to record her first spirtual album after listening to a Pentacostal singer who performed at Clinton's mother's funeral.

As Clinton wrapped up his remarks, he came back to Tuesday's election and the emotions that come with it.

"You know, we get close to these elections, the tensions are up, the temperature is up," he said. "We're all liable to say something we shouldn't say. We're all feeling things we shouldn't feel. So it is a very good thing for be here."

Clinton also visted Biltmore Baptist Church in Arden, N.C., but did not address the congregation. 

While Clinton's morning was leisurely, the rest of his time in North Carolina will be anything but. The former president has 15 campaign events planned for the next two days, crossing the state in the process. By Tuesday, Clinton will have held over 50 events in the state -- many of them on the front porches, train stations and baseball diamonds that pepper the small towns of North Carolina.   

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Fuck it. I've

geirj wrote:

Fuck it. I've now completely lost patience with the Clinton campaign. Go Barack!

What do you think of Obama's comment about the small town people "Clinging to their guns and religion". I think he's probably a closet atheist. I think he only joined his church for social and political connections to the black community. Now he knows his pastor is a kook.

Clintons will do anything to get elected, that's their only real religion.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Clintons will do

EXC wrote:

If that's true, wouldnt that mean the Clintons could possibly be cryptoatheists also?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm for Obama, but Hillary

I'm for Obama, but Hillary Clinton would be way better than McCain.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I gave up being offended by

I gave up being offended by political pandering years ago, but this comes really close to pissing me off.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:geirj wrote:Fuck

EXC wrote:

geirj wrote:

What do you think of Obama's comment about the small town people "Clinging to their guns and religion."

To take that quote in context, he was referring to economic depression. I think he was referring to getting back to the fundamentals, guns 'n' God.

Quote:

I think he's probably a closet atheist. I think he only joined his church for social and political connections to the black community. Now he knows his pastor is a kook.

Closet atheist? That'd be cool. I like the man a lot. I wish he would be brave enough to claim atheism, if that is his belief, though. That'd suck if he only claims Christianity because it's socially and politically expedient. But he wouldn't be the first.

Quote:

Fuck the Clintons. He pussied out over a blowjob. She's willing to say anything that'll get her elected, even to the point where she denies she supported the war. ("Oh, I didn't know what I was voting for." Well, that's even more reason not to vote for you.)

Can we please have somebody who'll take responsiblity for their own decisions? Please? Is it too much to wish for somebody who'll take actual responsibility?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'm for

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm for Obama, but Hillary Clinton would be way better than McCain.

I wish I could be there with you, Matt. I just don't see that much difference between Hillary and McCain. Sure, McCain sold out his ever-lovin' Vietnam-prisoner-soul to support torture. But Hillary was right there to support the war in Iraq, even when it was obvious the evidence was... circumstantial, at best, and completely fabricated, at obvious. And now she's talkin' smack to Iran? WTF?

She and McCain could be just about interchangable, at this point. At least, as far as I can see. Their policies are about as incoherent. At least McCain is willing to admit his nose is so far up Bush's ass he could act as an early-warning detector for colon cancer. Hillary is trying to distance herself, but he policies seem too damned close for comfort.

At least, as far as I can see.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
As far as the democrats go,

As far as the democrats go, I'm rooting for Obama all the way. 'Obama' is just an awesome name to have, and can very naturally be punctuated as, "O-fuckin'-BAMA!', which is wonderful in ways that are difficult for me to express.

O-fuckin'-Bama, baby. All the way.

EDIT: Don't get me started on 'Barack', which is such a badass first name it blatantly implies that it's owner must be that ominous figure in every kung-fu movie. You know. The one who's got all the protagonist's moves and then some, but just stands there - smiling. Waiting for just the right moment...

George better hope he doesn't have to share the debate floor with that one.

EDIT AGAIN: Also note how much 'Obama' (perhaps spelled, 'O-BOMMA' or 'O-BOMBA' or even just 'THE O-BOMB') sounds like it could be the name of special move in a Capcom fighting game, and then we have it correlating with the afore-mentioned qualities of 'Barack'.

Coincidence?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Closet

nigelTheBold wrote:

Closet atheist? That'd be cool. I like the man a lot. I wish he would be brave enough to claim atheism, if that is his belief, though. That'd suck if he only claims Christianity because it's socially and politically expedient. But he wouldn't be the first.

He'd go to a 5% approval rating the second he claimed that. It's actually scary to think someone who believes the bible is literally true has their finger on the button.

Bush is actually just a closet dumbass, but he always forgets to shut the door.

nigelTheBold wrote:

Fuck the Clintons. He pussied out over a blowjob. She's willing to say anything that'll get her elected, even to the point where she denies she supported the war.

Well Hillary doesn't suck, but at this point she'd do it if it would get her elected.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Well Hillary

EXC wrote:

Well Hillary doesn't suck, but at this point she'd do it if it would get her elected.

Does "praying for Hilary" involve being on your knees?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:She and

nigelTheBold wrote:

She and McCain could be just about interchangable, at this point. At least, as far as I can see. Their policies are about as incoherent. At least McCain is willing to admit his nose is so far up Bush's ass he could act as an early-warning detector for colon cancer. Hillary is trying to distance herself, but he policies seem too damned close for comfort.

At least, as far as I can see.

I see some big differences. He's pro-life she's pro-choice. She's for universal health care, he's for continuing the horrible idea of leaving it to private business. She wants out of Iraq, he actually thinks we can win and wants to stay. He wants to keep Bush's stupid tax cuts and No Child left behind, she wants to get rid of them. Obama is definitely the better candidate - a lot of people say he's too liberal, but I make him look like Rush Limbaugh.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I see some

MattShizzle wrote:

I see some big differences. He's pro-life she's pro-choice. She's for universal health care, he's for continuing the horrible idea of leaving it to private business. She wants out of Iraq, he actually thinks we can win and wants to stay. He wants to keep Bush's stupid tax cuts and No Child left behind, she wants to get rid of them. Obama is definitely the better candidate - a lot of people say he's too liberal, but I make him look like Rush Limbaugh.

Yeah. I was being a little over-general in my statement. I'm just pissed that she's make hawk-like noises about Iran, after weaseling around on her position on the Iraq war vote. Up 'til then, I could've supported her.

Obama is definitely a moderate, and not a liberal. It's a sad day when he's considered "too liberal."

One thing I've learned from this whole thing: I wouldn't stand a chance running for President. I'd be Jello Biafra's VP in a heartbeat, but I'm afraid I'd make the ticket "too liberal."

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, too liberal indeed. If

Yes, too liberal indeed. If you want to see a real liberal, go to France or most places in Europe. Our Democrats are more conservative than some of their conservatives.

As for Obama being an atheist. He used to be, but then was pulled in by the freaking rev Wright and his ilke.

There is a good thing on snopes about his past as an atheist/agnostic half way down http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

As for Hillary Clinton, I have seriously lost a ton of respect for her and her husband in this election. They didn't really have to deal  with the 24hr news cycle in his presidency, but he gets caught up in lie after lie, daily on the campaign trail. Her interview with OReilly was the biggest panderfest I have ever seen, and came off so cliched and phony. At least Barack seems real, McCain seems more genuine than Hillary, and that is a sad state of affairs. I will vote for the lesser of two evils, but if its Hillary, I sure won't be happy about it.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's just so dumb. Why

It's just so dumb. Why does Clinton think God's going to listen to Hillary's fans' prayers over Obama's fans' prayers? Is God just going to decide who wins based on which group prays more often, better, louder? Or is God going to decide who wins based on who he thinks is the best candidate? If the first one is true that would be a retarded way for God to run the world. If the second is true then God doesn't need anyone's prayers to figure it out. So why do people think prayer does anything? And why do they think their prayers are better than the other guy's?

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theia wrote:It's just so

Theia wrote:

It's just so dumb. Why does Clinton think God's going to listen to Hillary's fans' prayers over Obama's fans' prayers? Is God just going to decide who wins based on which group prays more often, better, louder? Or is God going to decide who wins based on who he thinks is the best candidate? If the first one is true that would be a retarded way for God to run the world. If the second is true then God doesn't need anyone's prayers to figure it out. So why do people think prayer does anything? And why do they think their prayers are better than the other guy's?

Because of the biggest irrational fallacy of all time: they think they are special.

If I could get rid of one irrational belief, it is the belief each person holds that they are special.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:EXC

HisWillness wrote:

EXC wrote:

Bill just wants to see the female campaign interns in this position.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, nigel,  "He [Bill]

Yeah, nigel,  "He [Bill] pussied out over a blowjob."

That's one of my big disappointments too, I would have said Fuck You, none of your business, so what if it did, and will again any day I want ... hey want to see my dick?

.... and how many $$$ and a waste of time and energy that all was .... Ken Starr and his bunch are truly morons and my arch enemy  <

Anyway, I sure hope Obama can beat that war monger, talented McCain .... The system is basically an embarrassing mess we are handing our brainwashed kids .... fix the bummer ......  "Eat the Rich" ..... 

kaab
User is offlineOffline
I don't like any of them...

but Obama is the lesser of these devils. Hillary would have us goosestepping to "I am woman, hear me roar" while she marches a large percentage of males off to prison for pretended offenses, and McCain will escalate that insane war ten-fold, in addition to starting a couple more. I have zero doubt that if I met either one of them, I would vomit. I don't even think they are human, they must be aliens.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I don't MUCH like any of

I don't MUCH like any of them...     Can we please start over now  ! ! !  please please .... 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
So what happens next in the

So what happens next in the process?
I'm not familiar with American politics so I need some informing.
I have Wiki's latest on it, that Obama has the most Delegates but Hiliary has the most 'super delegates', but I don't know what that means.
How will they decide who wins?

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:So what

Strafio wrote:

So what happens next in the process?
I'm not familiar with American politics so I need some informing.
I have Wiki's latest on it, that Obama has the most Delegates but Hiliary has the most 'super delegates', but I don't know what that means.
How will they decide who wins?

Super delegates have the last word and could actually nominate Hillary despite all the other votes in favor of Obama. They don't usually want to go against the grain but they can. I think that's why Hillary is hanging in because, with more super delegates, she could still ultimately be the winner. However, I just read this morning that some of Hillary's super delegates are jumping ship and moving to support Obama. So we'll see.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:HisWillness

EXC wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Bill just wants to see the female campaign interns in this position.

It sounds like you believe that hasn't happened already. Do you not realize how good Bill Clinton is? He's the former leader of the free world who now lobbies for the underpriviledged in Africa. NGO knees go weak for this guy.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
All politicians pray

They try to be all things to all people. All 3 claim to be religious so I guess I shouldn't vote for any of them. Oh yeah, I don't live in the states that count I forgot, I live in Florida so it doesn't matter what I think does it. You guys still have any old 48 star flags you should dig them out of your closets.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

kaab
User is offlineOffline
Pray for yourself men of all races

If that pig Hillary gets into office you should fully expect to wear dresses and say "Yes maam" everytime you get an order from a woman at work. We will all be goosestepping to the sounds of Helen reddy and Sister Golden Hair while she raises taxes to pay for the violence against women taxes and the reparations for unjust injustices act against all women (retroactive to 1494).