Hello, I'm your son's principal, he's gay, just thought you should know that he's gay

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello, I'm your son's principal, he's gay, just thought you should know that he's gay

Quote:
Memphis, TN - Attorneys for the American Civil Liberties Union say Daphne Beasley, the principal of Hollis F. Price Middle College High School in South Memphis, went way beyond her role as educator.

The ACLU says in September 2007, Beasley asked her staff to give her the names of students who were couples, heterosexual and homosexual, because she wanted to keep an eye on them to cut down on public displays of affection.

She's accused of publicly posting the names of those students, including two boys, Andrew and Nicholas, who had just started dating. The ACLU says that in doing so, Beasley revealed their relationship to other students, teachers and even their parents.

In a letter sent Tuesday, April 29, 2008 to Memphis City Schools, the ACLU says the principal's actions violated the students' constitutional rights to equal protection, freedom of expression and association, due process and privacy.

"Our first reaction was wow, this is unbelievable that a principal has gone this far," says ACLU attorney Christine Sun. "The constitution protects all of us from the government intruding in our private lives when there isn't a reason to do that. This was morally and legally wrong."

One of the young men, Nicholas, an 11th grader who just made the Dean's List, spoke with Eyewitness News Everywhere.

"It was actually frightening," he says, "to see a list with my name on it where not just other teachers could see but students as well."

Nicholas says his teachers and other students treat him differently as a result of Principal Beasley's decision and that he and Andrew have both had to deal with verbal assaults. Nicholas was also not allowed to go on a trip to New Orleans to help rebuild homes because, as one of his teacher's explained, he would "embarrass" the school by engaging in gay affection.

"I really feel that my personal privacy was invaded," Nicholas says. "I mean, Principal Beasley called my mother and outed me to my mother!"

The ACLU wants the school district to create new policies that would prevent these types of acts from happening again. The group is also asking for compensation for Andrew and Nicholas and for an apology from the principal.

And the final demand from the ACLU says attorney Sun: "Some sort of reprimand to the principal because this type of thing should not be happening at any school."

Eyewitness News Everywhere requested a response from MCS. Van Davis Turner Jr., the associate general counsel for the Memphis City Schools Board of Education, released the following statement: "We take all allegations of invasion of privacy and discrimination seriously. At this time, we have not completed our internal investigation of this matter. Once we have completed our investigation, we will submit a formal response to the ACLU, directly addressing the issue. We look forward to working with the ACLU to amicably resolve this matter, if possible."

The ACLU wants a reply from MCS by Friday, May 9th or legal action will be pursued.

Hollis F. Price Middle College High School opened in 2004 in a collaborative effort with LeMoyne Owen College. Students can earn a high school diploma and two years of college credit. About 150 kids are enrolled right now in grades 9 through 12.

That formal response landed somewhere between "get fucked" and "sue us, faggots":

Quote:

MEMPHIS, TN - A Memphis principal is accused of outing two male, gay students at Hollis F. Price Middle High School.

Principal Daphne Beasley is accused of ordering teachers at the school to inform her of all heterosexual and homosexual student couples. According to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Beasley hung the list up on the wall of her office, in plain view of teachers and other students. Beasley is also accused of calling the parents of gay students and telling them their son or daughter was gay.

The ACLU also claims that two students, Nicholas and Andrew, were told they could not study together or walk together while on school grounds.

The ACLU sent a letter to the Memphis City Schools board, demanding that Beasley be reprimanded for her actions. They also demanded of the MCS board to implement new policies that would prevent "these types of acts from occurring" and to make sure all principals and staff members knew of the policies.
They want Nicholas and Andrew to be compensated, as well as an apology issued to the two boys.

Memphis City Schools responded Thursday, May 1, via school attorneys, with the following letter:

“Memphis City Schools is committed to providing its students with the best possible learning environment. Hollis F. Price Middle College is an accelerated high school, which is located on the historically black LeMoyne-Owen College campus. Eligible students may enroll in college classes in pursuit of completing the first two years of college while attending this high school.

Because we have high school students on a college campus, we have to carefully monitor the activities of our students. We are at all times
proactive in assuring that our students are provided a safe, nurturing and disciplined learning climate. Unfortunately, in fall 2007, we received numerous complaints from LeMoyne-Owen College faculty and staff that some of our student couples were involved in explicit sexual behavior in public view on the college campus.

In light of this information from LeMoyne-Owen faculty and staff, the principal of Hollis F. Price made several general announcements to the student body that this behavior would not be tolerated. Regrettably, the improper behavior continued. Therefore, the principal felt it appropriate to notify the parents of those children she knew to be involved romantically. This was done in an effort to gain the support of the parents in reinforcing the message that such behavior is in violation of Memphis City Schools’ Student Code of Conduct. The principal did not list any information other than students’ names on her personal call list, and she certainly did not specify the sexual orientation of any student. Additionally, the list was never posted publicly anywhere at the school.

It is the position of Memphis City Schools that the principal did act in an appropriate manner in order to correct a serious issue at the school and that Memphis City Schools has not subjected either of these students to
discriminatory treatment.

In the coming days, we will submit a formal response to the ACLU. We look forward to working with them to amicably resolve this matter.”

The ACLU's take on this is far, far different:

Quote:
MEMPHIS – A public high school principal who posted the names of two boys on a list of students believed to be couples, revealing their relationship to their parents as well as other students and teachers, violated the students' constitutional right to freedom of association, the American Civil Liberties Union charged today. In a letter to school board officials in Memphis, Tennessee, the ACLU demanded today that the school reprimand the principal and take steps to ensure such actions never happen again.

In September of 2007, the principal at Hollis F. Price Middle College High told teachers she wanted the names of all student couples, "hetero and homo," because she wanted to monitor them personally to prevent students from engaging in public displays of affection. The two students now represented by the ACLU, Andrew and Nicholas (who have asked that their last names not be revealed), were two A students who had been seeing each other for a short time and were attempting to keep their relationship quiet and private. The principal heard about them through another student, then wrote their names on a list she posted next to her desk, in full view of anyone who entered her office.

One of the boys' mothers personally witnessed the list when she met with the principal a few days later. "I couldn't believe it when I went to meet with the principal and that list was right there by her desk where anyone could see it," said Andrea, Andrew's mother. "African American people face enough obstacles to succeeding in this world and I want my son to have every opportunity he's worked so hard for. Our schools should be helping our children do well, not tearing them down for something like this."

Although the boys had never been observed by any school staff engaging in any sort of display of affection, the principal called Nicholas's mother Nichole. According to Nichole, the principal said things like "Did you know your son is gay?" repeatedly and went on to say that she didn't like gay people and wouldn't tolerate homosexuality at her school.

Both students say they've had to deal with verbal harassment from both teachers and students since word got out around the school about their principal's actions. According to Nicholas, he also suffered another consequence of the principal's discrimination. He had submitted extensive paperwork and several recommendations from teachers for a school trip to New Orleans to assist in rebuilding efforts. Having a long history of community service, he was considered a shoo-in to be selected to go before the incident, but then a teacher told Nicholas some faculty were afraid he might "embarrass the school" or engage in "inappropriate behavior." A few days later, another student who hadn't even applied to go on the trip was selected in his place.

"We never bothered anyone or did a single thing at school that broke any of the rules," said Nicholas, a junior and honor student. "Every day I feel like they're still punishing me, and I'm worried that this is going to hurt my chances to get into a good college."

"The principal's outing of these two students to their families, classmates, and teachers is unacceptable. Its only purpose was to intimidate not only these students but all gay students at Hollis Price," said Hedy Weinberg, Executive Director at the ACLU of Tennessee. "Educators should be focused on educating their students and not on harassing them because of their sexual orientation or the people with whom they associate."

School officials have already confirmed the existence of the list to the ACLU in prior meetings held in an attempt to resolve the matter privately. In today's letter to the Memphis City Schools Board of Commissioners, the ACLU points out that the principal ordered the boys not to even walk or study together at school.

"This is a public high school that runs on taxpayer dollars. As such, it is part of the government and must obey the Constitution in dealing with the students entrusted to its care each day," said Bruce Kramer, a partner at Borod and Kramer in Memphis and cooperating attorney on the case. "This school has no business singling these boys out and taking away educational opportunities against them simply because they were dating."

The students and their mothers are represented by Kramer as well as Christine Sun of the ACLU's national Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project.

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=75890832-1bad-4f7f-a751-7e28b53a76ab

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1d49f672-e98a-498c-b9f0-32e19ef30474

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/youth/35094prs20080429.html

http://community.myeyewitnessnews.com/blogs/speakup/archive/2008/04/29/2956427.aspx

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
 She should be fired.

She should be fired.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
>.< banner ad... change...

>.< banner ad... change... NOW!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
A student should start

A student should start following around said pricipal, document her daily affairs, and post them in a negative light in a public area. And continue updating it daily.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

skywolf
skywolf's picture
User is offlineOffline
affection in shcool

when i was in high shcool we had a catholic teacher she tried to stop couples from holding hands i stoped her from stopping this severil times i asked her how would you like it if i broke you and your boyfriends holding hands up hmm? (she aloped with this guy latr on mommy didn't approve) she gave a deer in the headlights look the golden rule it the bible should apply here give this princapals sexual history on paper to everyone in the school and see if that lezzo affar she had in collage shines with equal brightness to the staff btw same teacher had a baby and said she never would got married and said you shouldn't until 25 i think her man taught her lotsa new things

mohammed is mr poopy pants allah is a cootie queen and islam is a lint licker
http://seekerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/_blogger_5932_1957_1600_religion_of_peace_1-1.jpg

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fucking ridiculous!! Just

Fucking ridiculous!! Just for clarification, is homosexuality legal in said state?

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its legal in every state.

Its legal in every state. Gay marriage isn't legal and there may not be statutes that protect people from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There are states still where

There are states still where "sodomy" is still technically illegal, but that wouldn't stand up in Federal court (the supremem court declared Texas's law unconstitutional.) However, they did uphold the ridiculous laws some states have over selling sex toys. That's why you see things being sold that are obviously vibrators as "electric massagers."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well gay marraige isn't

Well gay marraige isn't exactly legal here, there's civil partnerships but that can also apply to family members living together. I guess even this country has enough bigots to stop homosexual couples from actually getting married.

I hope this teacher gets prosecuted anyway.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:>.<

The Doomed Soul wrote:

You called it, gay banner appeared.

That is pretty fucked up, and is definitely discrimination with some repercussions in the future coming the school's way.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:The

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

You called it, gay banner appeared. 

Ha ha, www.connexion.org. That's funny.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the principal thought she

If the principal thought she was doing the right thing, she's stupid.  Rather, I think she knew what she was doing to be extreme.  The obvious way to deal with the issue would have been to have the teachers responsible for the students tell them that their behaviour may be inappropriate while at school.  That wouldn't have been abnormal and certainly wouldn't have been unconstitutional.  Teachers, I know, though perhaps it is different in this state, have to deal with students who don't know the socially, if not legally, accepted boundaries of public displays of affection.  Even then, why did the principle care so much?  Were the students exchanging in felicio or cunnilingus while in public?  Was the behaviour particularly disruptive?  Or was she only acting on her own prudish sensibilities?

Well, we know she didn't deal with this in the right way and I hope she gets her ass fired, if anything, for being a dipshit.  I don't really care if she's bigoted, hates fags, or is just too prudish for her own good, when someone pursues a young adult's parents to reprimand public behaviour that is not illegal and effectively spies on people in order to enforce an unenforceable and, even, illegal policy, that someone deserves what happens when the shit hits the fan.  If there's a next time, she'll piss instead.

Edit: I have to wonder if anyone uses that 'dating' service.  Certainly manhunt.net would get more hits.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."