Hello, God. It's me. Are you Republican?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello, God. It's me. Are you Republican?

http://www.randi.org/joom/swift/swift/swift-may-2-2008-2.html

Quote:
The latest in presumptive farces has been laying rational folks in the aisles and bringing devout believers to shout hosannahs. A choir director who believes that prayer can bring down high gas prices is trying out his approach at some of the costliest pumps in the country. A 59-year-old man named Rocky Twyman of Washington, D.C., went to San Francisco last weekend to stage a pray-in at a Chevron station. Why Chevron was chosen, isn’t revealed. Twyman is also calling on churchgoers across the nation to ask for God's intervention where he says politicians have failed. He wants God to provide cheaper gasoline to the faithful! Our Dale Lockwood comments:

It seems that if the delusional economics of certain presidential candidates are not sufficient – giving tax breaks for gas to encourage demand in a tight supply situation – we just have to move up the org chart another level or two and ask the big man. I don't seem to remember where in the Bible it says that God is concerned about our ability to access cheap gas and continue pouring out greenhouse gases. I suppose the appeal to the supernatural could just be considered "Intelligent Economics" and the Dismal Science will be next to face religion in the classroom.

But Jay Leno had the most appropriate observation on this matter. Said he:

I think perhaps this appeal should have been made to Allah, not to God.

First it's Rain Dances in Georgia, and now it's Petrol Prayers in San Francisco.  The stupidity never ceases.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Petrol Prayers? ya... i

Petrol Prayers? ya... i might have to give that a second thought in the coming months...

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

http://www.randi.org/joom/swift/swift/swift-may-2-2008-2.html

Quote:
The latest in presumptive farces has been laying rational folks in the aisles and bringing devout believers to shout hosannahs. A choir director who believes that prayer can bring down high gas prices is trying out his approach at some of the costliest pumps in the country. A 59-year-old man named Rocky Twyman of Washington, D.C., went to San Francisco last weekend to stage a pray-in at a Chevron station. Why Chevron was chosen, isn’t revealed. Twyman is also calling on churchgoers across the nation to ask for God's intervention where he says politicians have failed. He wants God to provide cheaper gasoline to the faithful! Our Dale Lockwood comments:

It seems that if the delusional economics of certain presidential candidates are not sufficient – giving tax breaks for gas to encourage demand in a tight supply situation – we just have to move up the org chart another level or two and ask the big man. I don't seem to remember where in the Bible it says that God is concerned about our ability to access cheap gas and continue pouring out greenhouse gases. I suppose the appeal to the supernatural could just be considered "Intelligent Economics" and the Dismal Science will be next to face religion in the classroom.

First it's Rain Dances in Georgia, and now it's Petrol Prayers in San Francisco.  The stupidity never ceases.

That said, I hope it actually works. 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But Jay Leno had the

Quote:

Good point...
I mean, that just might be the reason why those Saudi's got so much in the first place.
And they didn't discover any of it until the ruling faction jumped into a bed with a particularly fundamentalist Islamic sect...

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
If they think god's going to

If they think god's going to be answering prayers,why don't they just ask for their cars to run on nothing.Then they'll really save.Or is that too hard for god?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I kid you not, just now on

I kid you not, just now on CCN Headline News, AND IT MUST BE A SLOW NEWS DAY, ..........the anchor says, " Good new, gas prices are going down"

A FUCKING PENNY.......big whoopty shit!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: A FUCKING

Brian37 wrote:

A FUCKING PENNY.......big whoopty shit!

God must have a dry sense of humour