This Is Not A Scare Tactic

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
This Is Not A Scare Tactic

From the description of the video:

Quote:
The "Letter from Hell" is from our 2006 lake trip. This is intended for believers as it DOES NOT COMPLETELY DEPICT THE GOSPEL. This is not meant as a scare tactic.

Just remember...

God loves you.

God loves you.

God loves you.

He loves you so much that he would do this to you.  It's love.  Real love.

Oh, and YOU BETTER CONVERT YOUR FRIENDS OR THEY'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!   GOD LOVES YOU!!!!!!!  YOUR FRIENDS ARE GOING TO DIE!!!! FOREVER!!!!!!

God loves you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now, after seeing this, I'd

Now, after seeing this, I'd better force myself love God to avoid his wrath. I hope I can fool the all powerful, all knowing God into believing I don't think he's a big Dick.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, was Zack dictating that

Wow, was Zack dictating that letter to someone to send to his friend as the Angels took him, or is he just talented at writing and multitasking while having his eternal torment meeted out?

That was horrible. If those are the kind of things that group of people comes up on lake trips, I sure would hate to see what kind of mental abuse they can inflict on Sundays. I am glad they didn't make Zack a bad guy, he just didn't know about Jesus(yeah right) and he thought he would end up in a fuzzy, foggy place...wtf? I like that they implied you could still be a decent person and burn eternally for not knowin about JC, too many apologetics are getting away from this serious mindfuck of a problem. God would knowingly send someone to hell that had no knowledge of his son, and then guilt his friend into believing it was his fault. Well...I'm sold, sign me up, this God sounds like a pretty tough club owner, and his thuggish Angel bouncers don't take any shit if your not on the list. Who knew Heaven was like an exclusive nightclub, where you have to know JC to get VIP access. I guess I better start networking.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   From

Hambydammit wrote:

From the description of the video:

Quote:
The "Letter from Hell" is from our 2006 lake trip. This is intended for believers as it DOES NOT COMPLETELY DEPICT THE GOSPEL. This is not meant as a scare tactic.

Just remember...

God loves you.

God loves you.

God loves you.

He loves you so much that he would do this to you.  It's love.  Real love.

Oh, and YOU BETTER CONVERT YOUR FRIENDS OR THEY'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!   GOD LOVES YOU!!!!!!!  YOUR FRIENDS ARE GOING TO DIE!!!! FOREVER!!!!!!

God loves you.

Wow. 

Drama club and youth group don't mix very well. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wasn't this posted before a

Wasn't this posted before a while back? And I call epic bullshit on it not being a scare tactic.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Wow. Drama club

jmm wrote:

Wow. 

Drama club and youth group don't mix very well. 

No kidding. Creepy.

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
Sir Valiant for Truth's picture
User is offlineOffline
The theology behind my own

The theology behind my own position is that you only get sent to hell if it's what you actually would prefer over submission to God.

That said... the video sucks. It's so over-done and emotive that it fails to even be a scare-tactic. It's just... theological vomit. (This coming from a Theist.)

Doom 3 was awesome (and could have been even better.) This... just...sucks....

I need to get in touch with these GodTube people. Christians have had been given a bad enough reputation in secular eyes already. We don't need PR this...hideous...circulating over the internet by over-zealous teens.

"Truth is the cry of all, but the game of the few." George Berkeley
"Truth is always strange — stranger than fiction." Lord Byron

Fixing the world, one dumb idea at a time.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The theology behind my

Quote:
The theology behind my own position is that you only get sent to hell if it's what you actually would prefer over submission to God.

That's fucking insane.

Seriously, I mean you would have to be bat shit crazy to do such a thing.  We've been here before.  If what you believe is true, then only insane people go to hell.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
video

Don't these poor  misguided christens know, the Jews are the chosen people  all others are going to hell in a hand cart.  So get kosher or get burnin'.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Sir Valiant for Truth wrote:

Huh. See you guys in hell. Pretty sure it's going to be awesome, since all of the people I like are going there.

I need to get in touch with these GodTube people. Christians have had been given a bad enough reputation in secular eyes already. We don't need PR this...hideous...circulating over the internet by over-zealous teens.

I'm going to guess that you'll have just as much difficulty squishing memes like this as we do.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:That

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

That was horrible. If those are the kind of things that group of people comes up on lake trips, I sure would hate to see what kind of mental abuse they can inflict on Sundays. I am glad they didn't make Zack a bad guy, he just didn't know about Jesus(yeah right) and he thought he would end up in a fuzzy, foggy place...wtf? I like that they implied you could still be a decent person and burn eternally for not knowin about JC, too many apologetics are getting away from this serious mindfuck of a problem. God would knowingly send someone to hell that had no knowledge of his son, and then guilt his friend into believing it was his fault. Well...I'm sold, sign me up, this God sounds like a pretty tough club owner, and his thuggish Angel bouncers don't take any shit if your not on the list. Who knew Heaven was like an exclusive nightclub, where you have to know JC to get VIP access. I guess I better start networking.

Yeah, so all those isolated indigenous people who have not yet been approached by Christian missionaries, all the babies who die before they're old enough to even know how to speak ... I guess they will burn in Hell for eternity because they did not know our loving, just, and merciful God. That must be a comforting thought for any Christian whose child died of SIDS.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Seriously,

Hambydammit wrote:
Seriously, I mean you would have to be bat shit crazy to do such a thing.  We've been here before.  If what you believe is true, then only insane people go to hell.

Pretty much. The problem is that insanity is far more common than you'd think.

HisWillness wrote:
I'm going to guess that you'll have just as much difficulty squishing memes like this as we do.

This isn't a meme. It's an embodiment of what happens when someone takes spurring on others to evangelize into their own hands when it isn't what they are intended to do: it backfires to the chagrin of everyone else on their side. (**SIGH**)

Theologically and intentionally, the work is just fine, but the actual production's concept is so poorly simple-minded, single-audience oriented, and otherwise ill conceived that it has the exact opposite effect of what's intended. It would actually make a good satire.

If you want to see a good example of a Christian doing this correctly, check out the Nooma videos (Rob Bell.) The "Store" one is particularly good, and several of them you can view for free on Google Video. (You should hate them every bit as much, but for different reasons.)

What you are looking at here is when someone gets emotive and tries to do something they have no business doing in the first place. Not every Christian is cut out to be a missionary.

Period
User is offlineOffline
How dead can a person be if

How dead can a person be if they can feel their heart pounding in their chest?

How terrible can Hell be if this histrionic loser managed to find the time to compose this half-assed guilt trip?

I'm going to cry,

"'My dear,' Madame Delbene replied, 'the universe runs itself, and the eternal laws inherent in Nature suffice, without any first cause or prime mover, to produce all that is and all that we know; the perpetual movement of matter explains everything: why need we supply a motor to that which is ever in motion? The universe is an assemblage of unlike entities which act and react mutually and successively with and against each other; I discern no start, no finish, no fixed boundaries, this universe I see only as an incessant passing from one state into another, and within it only particular beings which forever change shape and form, but I acknowledge no universal cause behind and distinct from the universe and which gives it existence and which procures the modifications in the particular beings composing it... the absolute contrary holds... We need not fret if we find nothing to substitute for chimeras, and above all let us never accept as cause for what we do not comprehend something else we comprehend even less." - Marquis de Sade, Juliette, pg. 43.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Pretty much. The

Quote:

Ok, fine.  So, not only does god only send insane people to hell, he sends LOTS of insane people to hell.  Really awesome.

Hell, even lowly little humans can figure out that insane people shouldn't be held responsible for their actions in the same way as sane people.

Books about atheism

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoah, deja vu.

Whoah, deja vu.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
... and this crap is

... and this crap is basically being preached on "their", the TV 24/7 with no counter opinion. The FCC is the enemy of progress. Why it continues baffles and infuriates me .... What to do ?  I AM surprised by the lack of indignant bloggers etc regarding this huge problem of bias and mass brainwashing. I'm not so much saying kick anything off the TV, but rather where's the rest of it, the balance, for damn sakes ..... 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
It must have to do with the

It must have to do with the fact I never took the 'Hell' concept seriously.

Every video like this one makes me start into a fit of laughing. I think it's so fucking hilarious...

"What if your friend went to Hell!?"

They may was well be asking,

"What if your bed was sheltering a monster!?"

...Oh, man. Post more, please. I need the laughs tonight.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Hambydammit wrote:

Then what the Hell would the point of the whole process even be, then? Certainly that takes the 'justice' angle right out of it, and it completely smashes the notion that there's a purpose to spreading the Christian religion.

If I die and God basically says, "Okay, here's the deal: you either say you're my bitch, or I toss you in the Lake of Fire," the entire religion falls on it's face at a foundational level.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
HAHAHA Ridicules , loved it

HAHAHA Ridicules , loved it XD. WTF Is the problem if god is going to send me to hell I’m going to commend god to obey me and send me to hell or I’m going to fucken kill him . Na what is going this god do obey me or send me into haven ?

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honest to God, the guy

Honest to God, the guy sounds like he got ahold of a bad hit of acid, hallucinated his death, and is saying all this to his friend, who he thinks is still on earth, when in reality, they're both sitting in his room.  "But duuuude, I'm right here!"

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Then

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Then what the Hell would the point of the whole process even be, then? Certainly that takes the 'justice' angle right out of it, and it completely smashes the notion that there's a purpose to spreading the Christian religion.

If I die and God basically says, "Okay, here's the deal: you either say you're my bitch, or I toss you in the Lake of Fire," the entire religion falls on it's face at a foundational level.

I fail to see how God dictates who is lost and who is saved has anything to do with "religion falling on its face at a foundational level." Religion has very little to do with salvation per say, but rather truth and the assumption that with an understanding of that truth a salvation of some nature will follow.

PS: hambydammit, please note that Kevin R Brown's wording here indicates that he would take the insane option. Like I said, insanity is much more common than you'd think.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I fail to see how God dictates who is lost and who is saved has anything to do with "religion falling on its face at a foundational level." Religion has very little to do with salvation per say, but rather truth and the assumption that with an understanding of that truth a salvation of some nature will follow.

Speaking of insanity, salvation is the main tennet of religion - but you claim religion has nothing to do with salvation.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Speaking of

aiia wrote:
Speaking of insanity, salvation is the main tennet of religion - but you claim religion has nothing to do with salvation.

Obviously you are thinking much more specifically at Christianity than I am. The common thread between ALL religions isn't an assertion of salvation, it's an assertion that that specific religion holds the "truth." Salvation is almost invariably presented as a side-benefit of understanding that truth.

Confucianism, for example, asserts that it has the truth about how to live together in harmony. While it may tread the fine line between religion and philosophy, it is often dealt with as if it were a religion. Confucianism asserts no method of "salvation."

You could say similar (but markedly different) things about many other oriental religions.

EDIT: Why else would my pseudonym be "Sir Valiant for Truth? Why not "Sir Valiant for Salvation?

Besides, all things considered, it makes sense that a Theist would know more about religion than an Atheist would. Sadly, this is not always the case, but I am in a better position to speak about what religion is and isn't than you are.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Besides, all things considered, it makes sense that a Theist would know more about religion than an Atheist would. Sadly, this is not always the case, but I am in a better position to speak about what religion is and isn't than you are.

And we're in a better position to speak about what religion can and can not accomplish than you are.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Religion has very

Quote:
Religion has very little to do with salvation per say, but rather truth and the assumption that with an understanding of that truth a salvation of some nature will follow.

...I must've missed the part where the primary goal of religion became something other than saving my soul.

And the last part of your argument remains flattened. We just established that the only important part is telling God that you'll kiss his feet - so how does 'truth' come into it at all?

As for my 'wording' and alleged insanity, I fail to see where I said I'd pick the Lake of Fire option. I don't like the idea of kissing a deity's ass, but if the two options were to brown my nose of burn forever, it's easy enough to say I'd pick the former.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Obviously you are

Quote:

Obviously you are thinking much more specifically at Christianity than I am. The common thread between ALL religions isn't an assertion of salvation, it's an assertion that that specific religion holds the "truth." Salvation is almost invariably presented as a side-benefit of understanding that truth.

This argument seems to fly in the face of 'taking a leap of faith' concept so many theists insist upon. No, perhaps not all religions deal with 'salvation' or a savior, but Christianity does, and that's clearly what this thread is dealing with. You yourself are a Christian, aren't you?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:This

Kevin R Brown wrote:
This argument seems to fly in the face of 'taking a leap of faith' concept so many theists insist upon. No, perhaps not all religions deal with 'salvation' or a savior, but Christianity does, and that's clearly what this thread is dealing with. You yourself are a Christian, aren't you?

Yes, I am Christian. However, you should be aware that I belong to a rare breed of them commonly referred to as "Calvinists" that hold many views that other Christian denominations think of as...divisive.

Regardless, my statement is still true -even true of Christianity. It just tends to get lost to secular ears against the voices of preachers in haste to make "Altar Calls" to meet their quotas. (Yes, as demented as it may seem, funding in some churches is based on the number of conversions. Does this explain a few things?)

geirj wrote:
And we're in a better position to speak about what religion can and can not accomplish than you are.

I would agree...IF your community didn't have a "THEISM IS IRRATIONAL, VIEWS OF OUR COMMUNITY." sticky. As that it does it's pretty clear that there's an agenda being pushed here.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geirj wrote:And we're in a

Geirj wrote:

So, one need not experience something to be able to speak authoritatively on it?

Curious thing for you to say...

Books about atheism

Jello
User is offlineOffline
I despise that shit. I was

I despise that shit. I was raised to believe hell was a real place, and it scared me so bad it kept me awake at nights. That's child abuse. It makes me hate christians who believe it, which sucks because hate is a shitty emotion.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

I would agree...IF your community didn't have a "THEISM IS IRRATIONAL, VIEWS OF OUR COMMUNITY." sticky. As that it does it's pretty clear that there's an agenda being pushed here.

Oh wow.Another theist taking this line. Guess what?This is an atheist site. One would think when coming here your wants aren't going to be catered for.

What agenda do you mean? The RRS makes no secret that they think theism is irrational and dangerous.I don't see any secret plans there.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Life does piss everyone off

Life does piss everyone off .....  

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lock step...

You know, most of my views have been held for a very long time, long before I ever heard of this forum or the wonderful folk both rational and theistic who populate it.

I for one DO believe theism is irrational. Anyone who claims to believe in incorporial, invisible beings can NOT lay claims to complete rationality.

Faith is a mental defect. You can call it a virtue all you wish, but in fact, belief without evidence is faulty thinking.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Faith is

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Faith is a mental defect

Prove it. 

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK

jmm wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Faith is a mental defect

Prove it. 

You left off the other part of the sentence...

Belief without evidence is faulty thinking.

There is no cognition between the belief and the reality. To believe something, ANYTHING without any supporting evidence is therefore defective reasoning, hence, faith is a mental defect.

That it's been elevated to the level of a virtue by those so afflicted is no surprise.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:jmm

Louis_Cypher wrote:

jmm wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Faith is a mental defect

Prove it. 

You left off the other part of the sentence...

Belief without evidence is faulty thinking.

There is no cognition between the belief and the reality. To believe something, ANYTHING without any supporting evidence is therefore defective reasoning, hence, faith is a mental defect.

That it's been elevated to the level of a virtue by those so afflicted is no surprise.

LC >;-}>

It's amazing how the armchair neurologists and psychologists come out of the woodwork every now and again.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Are trying to be funny ? Let me remind you that many atheists:

1.) were practicing theists who were as immersed in their religion as you supposedly are,  and..

2.) that some atheists are former religious clergy.

TheWanderer
agnostic deistTheist
TheWanderer's picture
User is offlineOffline
More Crazy Scare Tactics

I haven't been on the boards recently, been busy, but I found this little video that is in many ways as horrible of a propaganda tool than any "Jesus Camp" can ever be.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfh1qWhiLjU&feature=related

"My mind is my own church." - Thomas Paine

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's amazing how the

Quote:
It's amazing how the armchair neurologists and psychologists come out of the woodwork every now and again.

It's amazing how often theists deflect with ad hominems to avoid addressing valid points.

Books about atheism

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:It's

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

It's amazing how often theists deflect with ad hominems to avoid addressing valid points.

Questions hurt

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mental defect

To disreguard reality in favor of a simple belief, is irrational;   To hide behind a religion has a comfort blanket, is irrational;   To claim a belief in a god without a single bit of evidence that such an entity is possible, is deeply irrational;   The refusal to accept any opinion but your own, even exists; is irrational;

To hide from reality, behind a religion, to stop thinking because YOUR religion has all the answers, to accept that has a comfort level IS a mental defect;  it is called Mendacia paranoia.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:It's

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Bullseye !!!

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm, when did I lay claims to that?

jmm wrote:

No, I have an Associates in Psychology, I picked it up when i was going for my nursing degree...

I'm sure I didn't cast my opinion in light of professional expertise...

But, I stand by my opinion, faith IS a mental defect.

LC >;-}>

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow.  God's a raving

Wow.

God's a raving sociopath, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT, ZACK.

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:jmm

Louis_Cypher wrote:

jmm wrote:

No, I have an Associates in Psychology, I picked it up when i was going for my nursing degree...

I'm sure I didn't cast my opinion in light of professional expertise...

But, I stand by my opinion, faith IS a mental defect.

LC >;-}>

I think your basic error here (the basic error of all people who consider theism a mental problem) is to conflate mentality with logic. They are not the same thing. Asserting the existence of god is a logical/evidential error, not a mental defect.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:They are not the same

Quote:
They are not the same thing. Asserting the existence of god is a logical/evidential error, not a mental defect.

There are several ways to approach the claim that theism is a mental defect, and each has its advantages and flaws.  First, "mental defect" is pretty hard to define in the first place.  There are cultural and clinical definitions, and even those have varying shades of meaning depending on context.  I would suggest to you that without knowing the exact context of the statement, it's premature for you to say that it's wrong.

I don't think anyone here claims that theism is a chemical imbalance, although it would be hard to deny that many people with chemical imbalances are strongly religious, or see visions, or what-not.  However, various mental illnesses are not genetic or chemical in nature.  Depression, for example, can be caused by a real external situation.  It's still a mental disorder, though.

If you look up "Grandiose Delusional Disorder" in the DSM, you'll see an incredible resemblance to the behaviors and beliefs of many theists.  Granted, it's not as easy as just matching symptoms, but the resemblance is more than a passing one.

Furthermore, there are tons of examples of people who suffer from emotional problems because of religion.  Ask any gay man who's married to a woman because he believes he's actually under demonic influence, and is not really gay.

I'm not trying to argue the case that theism is a mental disorder or defect.  I'm trying to point out to you that there are a lot of ways to approach it.  If I simply say that by "mental defect," I mean a chronic inability to reason correctly, it's pretty hard to say I'm wrong.  If you guys are going to dicker about whether or not Louis is correct, you need to establish exactly what he means when he makes the claim.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I have come to end this once

I have come to end this once and for all,  ye are gods, and if you pray do it alone for none to see,  and I have come to divide you from the church temple hypocrites of preaching idol worship,  as the father cosmos is this life "evolution message" and life reality as we are ONE,  all of us, ....  this is the kingdom / heaven NOW.  May the eternal "perfect christ" be in you , where all is one, of zero superstition and devil separation , and this is the simple saving good word , a message to send to the 4 corners , to put love on the enemy , the deaf and blind and those with eyes that cannot see , and nothing dies , fear no more. All are saved ..... I AM ATHEIST, some call me Jesus / Buddha / Carlin / Harris /  but the message is the same  .....  FUCK RELIGION DOGMA ! 

oh and P.S. - forgive (but never forget) THEM mushroom bible writers were half nuts too, just like me and you, we are  ONE   matter/energy !

....  Have I said "love is our broken law ..... yin yang"     

Gotta go make some wine now , I'll be back soon ..... with a bit more .....  

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:

Wow.

God's a raving sociopath, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT, ZACK.

Lol! I think that sums it up perfectly.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

PS: hambydammit, please note that Kevin R Brown's wording here indicates that he would take the insane option. Like I said, insanity is much more common than you'd think.

heh... well i for one, still choose Hell out of principle as well... at least ill be in good company

What Would Kharn Do?

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think they'll have already

I think they'll have already planned for that.
They'd split you up from the fellow free-thinkers and surround you with the rapists instead.
(But only the ones that didn't get round to repenting on their deathbed)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd be ok with being

I'd be ok with being surrounded by rapists as long as they were female and at least average looking.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, a devil who tried to

Dude, a devil who tried to use them to torture you would be nearly as incompetent as the God who clumsily condemned the ones he loved to eternal damnation!!