What's the purpose?

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's the purpose?

Why should these irrational beliefs be eradicated from the Earth? What would be the purpose?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Huh?  Could you elucidate a

Huh?  Could you elucidate a little?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
This seems pretty similiar

This seems pretty similiar to the 'why bother with atheism' thread

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Let me see...No bullying

Let me see...

No bullying people with the threat of an invisible sky-daddy.

No possibility of people trying to sneak religion into science classes.

No more arguments about who's version of the Sky-daddy is the right one.

No more killing people because they have the wrong version of the sky-daddy.

Just a few i can think of right now.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Huh?  Could

Thomathy wrote:

What's to elucidate? I want to know why it's necessary to eradicate irrational beliefs from the Earth.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter wrote:Thomathy

rightofcenter wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

What's to elucidate? I want to know why it's necessary to eradicate irrational beliefs from the Earth.

Let's imagine we had a wide spread belief that spinning around 17 times clockwise every hour would ensure your place n the afterlife. Oh,and those how would dare suggest we should spin counterclockwise would be persecuted and killed.

Yup, you're right.Wouldn't be neccesary to do something about that.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Ypu, you're

Ypu, you're right.Wouldn't be neccesary to do something about that.

You don't understand. I'm not, at the moment, disagreeing with you. I just want to know why it's necessary. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'll focus on

I'll focus on Christianity:

Much less discrimination against women and gays

No more pro-life assholes

schools can focus on actual science rather than nonsense

people not wasting time praying.

Here is an old thread I made about why I hate religion.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter wrote: You

rightofcenter wrote:

You don't understand. I'm not, at the moment, disagreeing with you. I just want to know why it's necessary. 

People are dying,suffering,holding back society, and generally being stupid over unproven claims. What more reason do you want?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter wrote:Why

rightofcenter wrote:

Why should these irrational beliefs be eradicated from the Earth? What would be the purpose?

Once I'm dead, I won't care any more, unless I come back as a zombie. Then I should be concentrating on getting rid of samurai swords.

Really, I guess the purpose is to provide a goal, to give me something to do until I die.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter wrote:Thomathy

rightofcenter wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

What's to elucidate indeed.  You, I assume, were talking about specific irrational beliefs

rightofcenter wrote:
... these irrational beliefs ...
.  I wanted you to tell us which beliefs rather than just assuming you meant a certain kind.  You don't mean a certain kind though, you just mean irrational beliefs (look above).

You also seemed interested in what the purpose would be, presumably, of eradicating the irrational beliefs.

Now, however, you want to know why it's necessary to eradicate irrational beliefs from Earth, which is quite a different question.

Not all irrational beliefs are equal.  I don't think anyone finds it necessary to eradicate irrational beliefs from Earth and I don't think the RRS is interested in that.  I believe they're interested in eliminating a very specific kind of irrational belief and wouldn't particularly mind if that took care of the others as well.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am beginning to see a

I am beginning to see a conspiracy with a few posters on here who are trying to zombify every post. That is just irrational. When the zombies come, we will deal with them, everything else is just speculation. Everyone knows that the evil, pink, invisible unicorn is the real threat. I rest my case.

As for question rightofcenter, the exact same question has been answered, and is currently being answered here. It would be nice if a mod could merge these superfluous posts.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
But that one's in Kill them

But that one's in Kill them with kindness. I avoid that forum because you can't say "fuck" or call someone an asshat.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:But that

MattShizzle wrote:

But that one's in Kill them with kindness. I avoid that forum because you can't say "fuck" or call someone an asshat.

Amazingly,it is in fact possible to debate without large amounts of profanity and vulgarity. Just a thought.

dudeofthemoment wrote:

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's possible but it's no

It's possible but it's no fun.

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:rightofcenter

Loc wrote:

rightofcenter wrote:

People are dying,suffering,holding back society, and generally being stupid over unproven claims.

Why should people not suffer and die? Why should society not be held back? (I'm not implying that these things should happen. I just want to know why they should not.)  

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
If it is necessary to

If it is necessary to eradicate "these irrational beliefs" because it will benefit society, then why is it necessary to benefit society?

This will benefit society cannot lead to do this except by adding society ought to be benefited.

But why ought society be benefited?

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter wrote:If it is

rightofcenter wrote:

If it is necessary to eradicate "these irrational beliefs" because it will benefit society, then why is it necessary to benefit society?

This will benefit society cannot lead to do this except by adding society ought to be benefited.

What's the point of breathing?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

rightofcenter wrote:

What's the point of breathing?

It's necessary for staying alive.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter

rightofcenter wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
he point of breathing?

What's the point of staying alive?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
rightofcenter wrote:If it is

rightofcenter wrote:

Because I like my comfortable lifestyle. As a father, I hope my daughter also enjoys a comfortable lifestyle, so she doesn't have to sponge off me again. Ditto for the grandkids, should she ever decide to spawn.

Basically, the more society benefits, the more I benefit. A rising tide lifts all boats, and other similar platitudes.

Also, as I said before, it gives me something to do until I die. It helps fight off boredom.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
We want to survive.That is

We want to survive.That is probably the nost basic instinct. As a whole, we want to pass our genes on and ensure mankinds continued existence. Therefore we want to fight things that endanger that, or the welfare of our offspring.

If you really need a reason to justify helping humanity, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe we should just let people lob nukes around based on beliefs?

dudeofthemoment wrote:

rightofcenter
rightofcenter's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:

rightofcenter wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
he point of breathing?

What's the point of staying alive?

I have my reasons, but, due to the differences in our world views, they can't be the same as yours.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beliefs, rationality yada yada....

Irrational beliefs:

That if I drink this plain water, or eat this sugar pill because someone had it near some substance of dubious medical value, it will cure my disease.

That if I kill enough infidels and myself along with them, 72 virgins will serve me in heaven.

That if I pray over my sick child she won't require life saving medical care.

That demons exist. My children are misbehaving, thus they are infested with demons, god wants me to kill them.

That a collection of cells harvested from a dead fetus is in fact a human being, thus it is unethical to use them to save the lives of real human beings.

That God talks to me, we must invade [fill in the blank].

That Jesus is coming back soon, why worry about the environment?

That god hates fags.

That the basis of modern medicine, evolutionary theory, is obviously a ploy of the devil, thus we must teach our future generations of potential researchers that instead, god done did it.

Why must they be eliminated? Why must society be protected? Are you really this disengenuous, or are you trying to make some sort of back handed point?

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Posts like this are nothing

Posts like this are nothing more than dishonest ploys attributing an absolute morality to God, and then reasoning... If God doesn't exist, morality doesn't exist in any form, anything is permitted, then nothing matters, lets rape, kill, and destroy everything in our path! Nothing matters, life has no meaning, there is no point to anything!

Bad lines of reasoning, behind a dishonest intent are hallmarks of a flimsy position that one dares not to define for fear of being criticized for their beliefs.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Posts such as Why is

Posts such as Why is Genocide wrong follow this similar line of reasoning, the heart of the posts deal with discerning what morality is? Is it fixed? Can it be changed? Are right and wrong merely concepts, or do they really exist?