so....i have a question about all of this.....

Camelspider
Camelspider's picture
User is offlineOffline
so....i have a question about all of this.....

as an atheist i am not inclined to believe in anything supernatural. well, as the years have gone on, my understanding has grown of science and the cosmos. this has led to a lot more questions about life and love, human intelligence and understanding.

long story short.....i still have not found a viable answer to the question of why.  or a purpose if you will.

passing on genetic information is kind of a cop out to me, gaining knowledge seems futile if there is no after the end. so that's out. betterment of mankind is out due to a selfish nature in me. (if i don't get to play with the new toy then why invent the tool that is going to make it?)

if i were a member of the faithful i would call this a crisis of faith, but i am not one. so if you are at all able to help and guide me to some sort of reasoning or purpose that would be great. 

i have no want of a higher thingy in the sky™

can an atheist have a crisis of non belief?

can i not really care......or worry about the gaps?     maybe that's the purpose......

all these questions...agggghhhhhh.    good night.....

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:I'm sure I

ronin-dog wrote:

I'm sure I will definately help you out with this... But what is a Lu Bu?

For shame Ronin... for shame... >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did my wiki-wiki research

Ok, depends how zombified Lu Bu is. Sounds like a tougher opponent than Jesus, anyway. If he's anywhere near the skill he was supposed to have had I'm probably in trouble. Haven't actually fought in any battles. I'm still up for it though, more qualified than any swordless schmoe...

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

astro
astro's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leave this world a better

Leave this world a better place than it was before you came into it.

I remember reading that and getting chills down my back.

[Hopefully I can fulfill that goal I have set for myself]

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pet Peeve...

greek goddess wrote:

Your grandmother reads cosmo? Well that's disturbing...

And you presume granny was BORN old?

LC >;-}>

(My grandmother (we called her 'toots' ) was a bootlegger, a lumber jack and had numerous romantic liasons with some pretty unsavory men during her life... (aside from her 3 marriages))

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:(My

Louis_Cypher wrote:

(My grandmother (we called her 'toots' ) was a bootlegger, a lumber jack and had numerous romantic liasons with some pretty unsavory men during her life... (aside from her 3 marriages))

Now that's a woman. I've always found predictable women to be a disgrace to their sex (and unpredictable men the laughing stock of theirs).

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Now that's

HisWillness wrote:

Now that's a woman. I've always found predictable women to be a disgrace to their sex (and unpredictable men the laughing stock of theirs).

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." -- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmmmmm......interesting

Hmmmmmm......interesting thread......especially the zombies....but anyway, I'm wondering why it is as humans we always seem to have this crisis in the first place. Why is it when we have everything we need to survive we have to go about doing other things to be happy? I mean if a shark has eaten its fill, it isn't time to mate, and it isn't in danger, it just swims around.Why do people need to do anything more?  if anyone here is good with psychology, now is your time to shine.

I guess by asking this it means I'm having a purpose crisis about why any of us have a purpose crisis.....it doesn't get any irony-er than this....

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd

pyrokidd wrote:

Hmmmmmm......interesting thread......especially the zombies....but anyway, I'm wondering why it is as humans we always seem to have this crisis in the first place. Why is it when we have everything we need to survive we have to go about doing other things to be happy? I mean if a shark has eaten its fill, it isn't time to mate, and it isn't in danger, it just swims around.Why do people need to do anything more?  if anyone here is good with psychology, now is your time to shine.

I guess by asking this it means I'm having a purpose crisis about why any of us have a purpose crisis.....it doesn't get any irony-er than this....

It is, because we're more than a shark, by all definitions. Except of vegetative and primitive brain parts, we have quite a newly grown big brain, which we have a problem to shut down. It constantly chews over and over everything what happened and will happen, keeps us confined in our worlds of thoughts and illusions, and is very diffcult to shut down. It would be beautiful, if we could shut off our senseless thinking for a while, and just swim around like a shark, in full presence. It would solve all our problems and crises of purpose and identity, leaving us even able than before.
When we manage to tame our own brain, we will finally become effective humans, as a fullly functional species.

By the way, why does everyone consider zombies as undead? We all know, that a zombie is a normal man, under an influence of a very special drug, prepared by voodoo dark magician. This drug makes the victim very obedient, and absent-minded, so a zombie can, for example, work on fields without a complaint all the day. The drug must be mixed with zombie's food every day, or the zombie will wake up.
There were cases like, for example, when a man woke up from his slavery, because his keepers forgot to drug him up, and he didn't remember at all, that he worked for 10 years as a zombie.

Local slavonic mythology has a creature, called 'fext' as analogy of zombie, and it's a human being, which is cursed and can't be killed by normal means, it's body won't rot after a death and it can stray around or similarly intefere with human lives.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: It is,

Luminon wrote:

It is, because we're more than a shark, by all definitions. Except of vegetative and primitive brain parts, we have quite a newly grown big brain, which we have a problem to shut down. It constantly chews over and over everything what happened and will happen, keeps us confined in our worlds of thoughts and illusions, and is very diffcult to shut down. It would be beautiful, if we could shut off our senseless thinking for a while, and just swim around like a shark, in full presence. It would solve all our problems and crises of purpose and identity, leaving us even able than before.
When we manage to tame our own brain, we will finally become effective humans, as a fullly functional species.

Well the thing is, I've always been able to do that. I mean, once my physical needs are met, I can just sit around and be happy. I usually just think about stuff. People just call me lazy but I've always wondered why they always need to run around "accomplishing things" to be happy. I'm more of a here and now kinda guy.

-Carl Sagan

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:Well the

pyrokidd wrote:
Well the thing is, I've always been able to do that. I mean, once my physical needs are met, I can just sit around and be happy. I usually just think about stuff. People just call me lazy but I've always wondered why they always need to run around "accomplishing things" to be happy. I'm more of a here and now kinda guy.

That's nice, I'm a bit daydreamer too, but I meant something different. When you just think about stuff, you see what the single thoughts are about, you can see them coming. The purpose is, to observe them, without getting involved. Do you know that weird feeling, when you talk on and on, and you suddenly get an awkward feeling, and realize, that all people around are looking at you, so you just stop talking? This is supposed to happen with thought activity, but very slowly. (it may take years) The gaps between single thoughts will become longer, they're unnoticeable at first. There may come a time, when there will be just a few per minute, or even long minutes without a single thought. And yet, you don't cease to exist, oppositely, you will feel your presence more than ever, unlike when you were lost in thoughts.
This is a separation of mind+memory and consciousness, a personal proof, that consciousness exists independently on physical body with it's brain activity and memory synapses. It's a silent hint of immortality.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well just because your

Well just because your conscious mind isn't thinking, does that mean all that still isn't coming from you? Like if one were to take certain psychedelic drugs, you can experience what you're talking about quite vividly.  But these are mostly projections of the subconscious mind. Unless you're suggesting the subconscious is the part that exists without memory.....I 'm a little confused

-Carl Sagan

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
I think that in order to

I think that in order to find meaning in an Atheistic life, it's best to redefine a few things.  What is the point of eating something when it's no longer going to be around after you've eaten it?  The moments of joy and flavor are precious as you are taking them in, why should the fact of it no longer on your taste buds take away the love of those moments?

Why must things last forever for them to have meaning, enjoy the moments as you have them.  In the end everything possibly goes to nothing, but instead of seeing this as a sad ending, see it as an ultimatum to enjoy every moment you have, for better or worse.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good point Jancham!

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:To

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

To quote the famous philosopher Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, "there is no fate, but what you make." Life's meaning is what you give to it. You create your own purpose. That is for each of us to decide. I know I am still working on my ultimate plan, but doubting your knowledge doesn't mean you have  to revert to things you know not to be true to feel comforted. I wish you luck, as I do myself, with finding our purposes. Life can be difficult, perhaps thats why only the strong usually survive.

I think part of the problem is we are conditioned to look for a purpose given to us from an outside source.  Once we figure out that (as far as we know), WE are the most evolved animals in the universe, finding our own sense of purpose can be difficult, especially when the supplied, religious purpose was so high-stakes.

I'm in the process of learning to derive "meaning" from the small things.  For now, I'm simply enjoying putting stripes on my Microraptor's wings.  It's a good a purpose as any.  The wings aren't perfect, but hey, I drew them. Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.