Electrical engineer needed

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Electrical engineer needed

This guy is pretty well documented, someone with the equipment required to test it might be interested in checking this stuff out and letting us know what exactly is going on here.

Link: Stiffler Scientific

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try this link.

Try this link.

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a bunch of RLC oscillator circuits

My take on all this "overunity" magic is that he is making RLC oscillator circuits, and other higher order oscillators and driving them with a source at or near their respective resonant frequencies.

I know how everyone loves the Wikipedia, but here's some quick articles about resonance and RLC circuits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:My take on all

TomJ wrote:

My take on all this "overunity" magic is that he is making RLC oscillator circuits, and other higher order oscillators and driving them with a source at or near their respective resonant frequencies.

That was the same thought I had at first glance. The guy also plays fast and loose with the diagrams, so I just can't take him seriously.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like he's doing some

Looks like he's doing some kind of tricks with charge pumps. Charge pumps convert small voltages in higher voltages. This may produce the illusion of higher energy, but the conservation of energy law still applies. Something like a Tesla coil.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even if his claims weren't

Even if his claims weren't total bullshit, wouldn't this be entirely incapable of powering anything useful?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually I am an electrical engineer

My speciality is power electronics or power systems. I glanced through Stiffler's circuits and descriptions and conclude there are some loose ends subject to interpretation. His use of LEDs is clearly as they require less power. He is avoiding actually talking about power in versus power out efficiencies. It does not seem to me that he is doing anything spectacular. He seems to be using the power of legitmacy by using several PEs as proof he is legit. I questioned exactly what he was doing when I saw he was selling circuit boards and modules, see here: http://67.76.235.52/DrStiffler/

His technique for presentation is very poor as is his adherance to professionism. The claim he had to use a calorimeter as there was no way to measure the circuit without loading it shows he has inadequate equipment because that claim is false. Overall it appears to be similar ideas to Tesla transmitting power. Most RF power circuits do transmit power as in FM and TV signals. As these tests are done in a standard lab and not a shielded EMI room he also benefits from EMI from any possible RF source in his local environment. This is not to say that his design does not have possibilities its just done in such an uncontrolled unprofessional manner that it's impossible to determine.

This whole thing seems to be a form of snake oil sales, though I could be wrong. I just don't see why he sells parts if he is a legitimate researcher.

There is a blog on this circuit found here:

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=3457.1160

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:I

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

I glanced through Stiffler's circuits and descriptions and conclude there are some loose ends subject to interpretation. His use of LEDs is clearly as they require less power. He is avoiding actually talking about power in versus power out efficiencies.

No kidding there are loose ends. He seems to avoid talking in real terms at all, about what seem to be run-of-the-mill circuits. But he has no problem making claims of 500% heat "gain". My Quack-o-meter is in the red line.

I don't think it takes an electrical engineer to see that the guy's off-base, but I sure do appreciate hearing it from someone who knows! I'm just a hobbyist, so thanks.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

I glanced through Stiffler's circuits and descriptions and conclude there are some loose ends subject to interpretation. His use of LEDs is clearly as they require less power. He is avoiding actually talking about power in versus power out efficiencies.

No kidding there are loose ends. He seems to avoid talking in real terms at all, about what seem to be run-of-the-mill circuits. But he has no problem making claims of 500% heat "gain". My Quack-o-meter is in the red line.

I don't think it takes an electrical engineer to see that the guy's off-base, but I sure do appreciate hearing it from someone who knows! I'm just a hobbyist, so thanks.

*sorry I didn't fix the link, I've been away cramming for tests*

Yeah, thanks paul! I brought it up because a friend of mine is really into this stuff, and when I look at diagrams of analog circuitry I tend to get confused. Not sure why I have such a hard time with it.

It seems like with a some of these "overunity" circuits people end up fooling themselves by using the wrong meter to measure power, when they should be using an oscilloscope to measure things. With Stiffler it seems to be the reverse; do you think he's fooling himself?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote:Yeah,

inspectormustard wrote:

Yeah, thanks paul! I brought it up because a friend of mine is really into this stuff, and when I look at diagrams of analog circuitry I tend to get confused. Not sure why I have such a hard time with it.

Probably because the circuits don't really DO anything that you could recognize at first glance. I mean, you can pick up a copy of "Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits" and even if you're not 100% on everything in the diagram, it's pretty clear what's going on. With these diagrams, it's frustrating because you can't just ask, "Wait, what's you're point? Where's the 'extra' energy coming from?"

inspectormustard wrote:
It seems like with a some of these "overunity" circuits people end up fooling themselves by using the wrong meter to measure power, when they should be using an oscilloscope to measure things. With Stiffler it seems to be the reverse; do you think he's fooling himself?

It's always a bit of technical sleight-of-hand. I'm honestly not sure why people do this stuff, since even a hobbyist like me can do a quick bit of math and realize that trickery is afoot. He may have one little gap in his understanding that allows him to fall for his own bullshit, but I have to contend that it's unlikely.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard wrote:Yeah,

inspectormustard wrote:

Analog circuits have more complexity than digital and sometimes involve the black arts (FM or Fucking Magic) or so it seems. Usually caused by designer screwup.

There are many problems with Stiffler. He isn't testing in a sealed EMI screen room for one. He is selling circuits. He is using the wrong equipment. Until I see a solid paper that energy transfer can be done without loss and result in a gain instead, I think I'll stick with standard physics. I don't know how a forward biased PN junction cannot cause power consumption. Power consumption results in heat. Hence my disbelief.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.