Yet Another Example of Christian Hypocracy

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yet Another Example of Christian Hypocracy

Why is it that many conservative Christians think this way - they say "life is sacred" to support ther being against abortion and ending life support (taking the life a human who never developed consciousness or one who did and lost it permanantly -  often someone who specifically said they didn't want to live that way) but then are pro-death penalty and against giving any kind of help to humans who are conscious and in a bad situation - ie welfare, universal health care, etc. Why do they care so much about fetuses and the brain dead?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Why is it

MattShizzle wrote:

Why is it that many conservative Christians think this way - they say "life is sacred" to support ther being against abortion and ending life support (taking the life a human who never developed consciousness or one who did and lost it permanantly -  often someone who specifically said they didn't want to live that way) but then are pro-death penalty and against giving any kind of help to humans who are conscious and in a bad situation - ie welfare, universal health care, etc. Why do they care so much about fetuses and the brain dead?

I think it's a matter of innocence vs. guilt.  The fetus is innocent and should therefore be protected, and a murderer is guilty and should therefore be punished.  Life and death aren't really the issues, justice is the issue. 

Abaddon
Abaddon's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:I think it's a

jmm wrote:

I think it's a matter of innocence vs. guilt.  The fetus is innocent and should therefore be protected, and a murderer is guilty and should therefore be punished.  Life and death aren't really the issues, justice is the issue. 

Bacteria are "innocent," should they be protected?  How do you define innocence?  How can a fetus which has no discernable consciousness be "innocent" or "guilty" of anything any more than a chair can?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:MattShizzle

totus_tuus wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
It's hard to come up with an exact point. Certainly at the point which someone isn't completely helpless and is able to think at above a dog/cat level.

I don't think it is hard to come up with a point at all, Matt.

So your argument of when life begins seems to be based on mental development.  Why don't we simply extend the age at which one can be involuntarily euthanized to the mid 20's when brain develeopment is pretty much complete? 

And why particularly mental development?  Why is the development of the brain and the chemical processes it performs in support of life any different from, say, cell division,  nutrition, circulation, or respiration, or ...?  I mean they are all just biochemical processes.  Making one a criteria just because it's a more complex process just seems kinda...I dunno...what's the word....superstituous to me.  It's kinda like worshipping one rock over another because it's bigger, ya know.

My threshold is at 309 months after conception. 25 years old. Before that, abortion's no problem.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid