Our School System Blows

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our School System Blows

[RANT]

I'm so fed-up with the school system where I live. It's entirely driven by the union (the Alberta Teacher's Association), it supports an 'us-and-them' adversarial relationship between teachers and parents, it makes no attempt to eject poor instructors from their profession (on the contrary: it shields them)... and the grading system is fucked up.

It's understandable that we want to test people about what they actually learned froma program. It's also understandable that we want to correct people who put forward incorrect proposals about worldly mechanism.

It is fucking bogus that punitive action be taken against someone for simply being wrong (in an academic sense), and downright infuriating that we reinforce the notion that regularly being incorrect = poor student / hopeless idiot.

In what way can it be at all argued that students are encouraged to learn when one of the basic tenets of exploration and discourse (the chance that you're incorrect, or not initially 100% right) is looked upon with such negativity. Being wrong is not a negative thing. Being ignorant is, but the two are not married concepts.

Likewise, acing exams and doing every dopey task without question is not the same as being brilliant, and I would argue is nothing to be rewarded for. That isn't using positive reinforcement to forge a room full of skeptical minds - it's using it to to train quiet submission and obedience.

Homework is a bogus concept. What if your employer told you to drag home a bunch of stuff they wanted you to get done off-hours after supper tomorrow? All that it does is further entwine students into the machinations of the school, and give instructors something else to punish students about. Homework projects should be things that a student has a genuine interest in accomplishing on their own through personal passion and ambition, and should be applaudable acts of periodical awe.

The double standards are bizarre at best. Students are taught about how great and wonderful democracy is, but are put in the position of subservients to a totalitarian regime and told it's for their own good. They are taught that conformity leads to creative stagnation and that those who break away from it should be rewarded, yet the same rule apparently doesn't apply on school grounds. Teachers wax on about important students are in their lives and how they teach as a passion, but are all too happy to go on strike when the ATA thinks it is in a political position to earn them a few extra bucks and then do nothing but bitch and moan in order to gain public support about what rough waters it is to be a teacher.

I'm sick of this ridiculous institute. If ID wants it, as far as I'm concerned (where I am, anyway), it can have it. No responsible parent should surrender their children to the public school system. Teach them from home, send them to a private school, hire a tutor...

Every public school in Alberta can crumble to dust tomorrow morning, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
I share the sentiment. Even

I share the sentiment. Even in a different country, our educational problems are much the same.

In my area (Psychology) I've had more than my share of so-called school psychologists and social workers whose job, apparently, is to do one or two tests (a piss poor "battery test" at best) and then go on to the teacher only to confirm what he already "knew": the kid's hopelessly stupid, so stamp a 6 on his grade card (the equivalent to a C I believe) and send dorko to the next grade, nevermind he being unable to read, we'll give him some shiny thing to keep him entertained.

High school is no better. A lot of teachers who only warm a seat, with equally indolent and desinterested students, who only wanna get the hell out of there to get drunk. And the few teachers who does give a damn are burdened not only with the task of teaching their classes, but with correcting the bad habits (like slackery and expecting automatic C, regardless of testing results) the students learn in the other classes (the rightly called "hidden curriculum", don't know if it's called that way in the US). I've seen software teachers at high schools having to take time out of their curriculum because their students doesn't possess the reading level necessary to obtain information out of their already simplified text books.

Even in college things are bad. Many, dare I say a lot of the students demands to be hand held through everything, their reading habits being almost non-existing, right along their abstract reasoning capabilities (maybe I just went to college with morons), and good luck if you're searching for an expelled student, they give you so many goddamned opportunities to pass, you have to be an imbecile in the former clinical use of the word to actually manage to get expelled.

To me, this 20/20 special says a lot about education, both in the US as well as here in Mexico: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw

I don't embed it because it's quite long (almost 50 mins.)

[Edit] I've been watching some youtuve vids related to the one above, and got one of those moments in which you actually have to remember to breathe. Could someone tell me if this video is for real? And if it is, could you recommend some remedy to regain the little hope I had for humanity's future?

[Edit 2] Misspells

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
George Carlin: education and

George Carlin: education and the owners of America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMqJvhmD5Yg

George Carlin-some people are stupid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oboyox3L_MI

ETC ETC >>>  fix the TV , while we'er at it

who's the enemy ?   ever hang out with the rich ............

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hated school. And all the

I hated school. And all the new reforms that have come in since I left only seem to make it worse in my eyes. The focus of these new reforms is capitalism, to get kids into jobs or into business. All the emphasis on academia, or learning for the sake of expanding your mind has gone, its a purely economic system. I mean, I didn't enjoy school much, but very few people ever do even if its actually a good education. It was more about academia five years ago when I left high school, but even then there were some subjects which forced this pseudo-capitalist environment. I did a GCSE in Food Technology, which in the first few years of high school was just about learning to cook. At GCSE it was about making and selling a product, and this enfuriated me. I've never wanted to be a cog in the economic machinery but it seems that this is the point of our school system here in the UK. Expanding your mind, and learning to think for yourself are not qualities the government wants to endorse. I'm just glad that traditional academia lives on at the University level.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will say this

The school system is for A and B Grade students to be taught to work for C grade students. Most of the employees I have were all A students, a few B students, I myself was a C student in Canada (A student in the states but then again the states education system was a joke as I learned) and I had more ambition and drive than my A and B students. So yeah A and B study to work for C students.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I hated school. And all the new reforms that have come in since I left only seem to make it worse in my eyes. The focus of these new reforms is capitalism, to get kids into jobs or into business. All the emphasis on academia, or learning for the sake of expanding your mind has gone, its a purely economic system. I mean, I didn't enjoy school much, but very few people ever do even if its actually a good education. It was more about academia five years ago when I left high school, but even then there were some subjects which forced this pseudo-capitalist environment. I did a GCSE in Food Technology, which in the first few years of high school was just about learning to cook. At GCSE it was about making and selling a product, and this enfuriated me. I've never wanted to be a cog in the economic machinery but it seems that this is the point of our school system here in the UK. Expanding your mind, and learning to think for yourself are not qualities the government wants to endorse. I'm just glad that traditional academia lives on at the University level.

Jacob,

try going to high school in the states.  i took "political science" as a senior (inverted commas definitely ironic) and one of our exam questions was, i shit you not, "Which is the best form of government?"

a. monarchy

b. democracy

c. dictatorship

guess what the "correct" answer was?  myself and a buddy of mine actually marked "dictatorship" just to fuck with the teacher.  i wrote "of the proletariat" next to it.  she was actually cool enough not to count it wrong but i think she didn't have a clue what "proletariat" meant.

still, though...a fucking public school exam...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Jacob

iwbiek wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Jacob,

try going to high school in the states.  i took "political science" as a senior (inverted commas definitely ironic) and one of our exam questions was, i shit you not, "Which is the best form of government?"

a. monarchy

b. democracy

c. dictatorship

guess what the "correct" answer was?  myself and a buddy of mine actually marked "dictatorship" just to fuck with the teacher.  i wrote "of the proletariat" next to it.  she was actually cool enough not to count it wrong but i think she didn't have a clue what "proletariat" meant.

still, though...a fucking public school exam...

Was this a multiple choice exam? 'Cause if it was I feel damn sorry for you! Sounds like the Nazi education system we used to learn about in History.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:Was

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Was this a multiple choice exam? 'Cause if it was I feel damn sorry for you! Sounds like the Nazi education system we used to learn about in History.

i'm afraid it was.  still, in all fairness to the state of kentucky, it wasn't a state standardized test or anything.  it was a half-assed bullshit test made up by a mediocre teacher in one of the lowest rated school districts in the united states.  still, how often do you see electives on marxism being offered in public high schools in america (or the UK)?  or, gasp, as part of the required curriculum?  marx usually gets a paragraph in the history books, at best, with a trite cliche from the teacher about how "communism is beautiful in theory, but in practice it never works."

never mind that there are as many stripes of marxism as any other system of economics or sociology or philosophy and that, in reality, marx's path to a communist society has never really been given a try.  i go into that in detail in the little essay i wrote in response to the "communist" question on the unofficial FAQ blog.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:The school

latincanuck wrote:

The school system is for A and B Grade students to be taught to work for C grade students. 

Oh man - it's so true. Hands down that's the simplest way to sum up the education system.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

RagenGaijin
RagenGaijin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, lets change it.

Well, lets change it. Honestly how hard can it be to make a website full of media, videos, text, power point, etc. that taught 7 - 12? 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
RagenGaijin wrote:Well, lets

RagenGaijin wrote:

Well, lets change it. Honestly how hard can it be to make a website full of media, videos, text, power point, etc. that taught 7 - 12? 

Not a bad idea. Grade 7 - 12 is dependent on curriculum, though. First you'd have to figure out what you think is important to teach, and then do it.

But not a bad idea at all. I'd be happy to start something - I'm taking suggestions. If it's okay with everyone, we'll start with math. Sound good?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
I agree with some points

I agree with some points being said in this topic but I disagree with others. The school system in the US does suck but it's not because of grading students or giving them homework. Anyway, my two cents:

- Dumbass teachers need to go. Every school has them. My high school was one of the top 10 in the state (Georgia, so maybe that's not saying much Sticking out tongue) and even we had a couple of morons teaching. Unfortunately schools are currently doing the exact opposite of this. Due to a teacher shortage schools are now employing unlicensed teachers as long as they're working toward getting their license. This is one reason why college in the US is so much better than the public school system: in college your professors actually know what they're talking about. In some cases they're even the person who wrote your textbook. Compare that to high school where, say, your economics teacher thinks that NATO stands for "North American Trade Organization" (true story).

- Bullshit busy work needs to go. This seriously pissed me off when I was in K-12. The work I'm talking about isn't having to do 30 math problems for homework, that actually teaches you something, but rather having to make a poster about some barely related topic to what you're talking about in class, or having to make some other kind of art project that teaches you next to nothing but still manages to eat up a week of your time.

- Stop wasting our time. You know what the great thing about college is? Its a hell of a lot more effective and efficient at teaching you material. Most classes only meet two days a week for 75 minutes and yet you still end up learning way more than you did in high school going to class five days a week for 50-90 minutes. Why? Because in college you're given everything you need to know without any bullshit. Whereas in high school it takes 4-10 days finally move on to a new subject in college it takes half a class period.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Corporeal wrote:I agree with

Corporeal wrote:

I agree with some points being said in this topic but I disagree with others. The school system in the US does suck but it's not because of grading students or giving them homework. Anyway, my two cents:

I'm referring to the Canadian school system (I don't have firshand experience with the U.S. one), and I flatly contest this point.

Grading, as is implemented right now, arbitrarily labels a student as 'good', 'mediocre' or 'bad' at a particular field. One doesn't have to ponder this for very long before it becomes apparent how rediculous and lazy it is. All that a teacher needs to do is overview my assignment scores, plug the average score into the gradient 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'F' system, and presto - they've determined my academic capacity.

It would make worlds more sense to report to a student what areas they appear to have weaknesses in, provide examples, and offer guidance (even simply removing subjects that the student has no interest in from their field of study, letting them focus on their strong subjects - perhaps letting them voluntarily try their hand at said subjects again if/when they feel they want to change focus - without attaching a value label at all.

The most significant part of this grading system, in my opinion, is that these values are shared among students and ultimately divides them into strict 'tiers', inviting ostracization and self-defeat, and providing a strong motivator for conflict and violence (though, granted, these latter things are bound to happen anyway).

Homework robs students of both a real sense of accomplishment and their free time, which might otherwise have been spent more lucratively (or not. But either way, it's my fucking time, not yours, and I fail to see how you have a right to say that I must spend it striving to be as hugely successful as I can. If some people want to sit back and play video games or play ice hockey instead of their schoolwork, guess what? That's their choice). It would be far more meaningful if students were simply encouraged to do projects at home related to subjects that had genuine passion for (rather than trying to 'force' them to have passion for every subject) on their own time, and bring these projects to school if/when they were done for review, scrutiny and praise. That would engender friendly competition and really get creative juice flowing.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Corporeal wrote:

I'm referring to the Canadian school system (I don't have firshand experience with the U.S. one), and I flatly contest this point.

Grading, as is implemented right now, arbitrarily labels a student as 'good', 'mediocre' or 'bad' at a particular field. One doesn't have to ponder this for very long before it becomes apparent how rediculous and lazy it is. All that a teacher needs to do is overview my assignment scores, plug the average score into the gradient 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'F' system, and presto - they've determined my academic capacity.

It would make worlds more sense to report to a student what areas they appear to have weaknesses in, provide examples, and offer guidance (even simply removing subjects that the student has no interest in from their field of study, letting them focus on their strong subjects - perhaps letting them voluntarily try their hand at said subjects again if/when they feel they want to change focus - without attaching a value label at all.

The most significant part of this grading system, in my opinion, is that these values are shared among students and ultimately divides them into strict 'tiers', inviting ostracization and self-defeat, and providing a strong motivator for conflict and violence (though, granted, these latter things are bound to happen anyway).

Homework robs students of both a real sense of accomplishment and their free time, which might otherwise have been spent more lucratively (or not. But either way, it's my fucking time, not yours, and I fail to see how you have a right to say that I must spend it striving to be as hugely successful as I can. If some people want to sit back and play video games or play ice hockey instead of their schoolwork, guess what? That's their choice). It would be far more meaningful if students were simply encouraged to do projects at home related to subjects that had genuine passion for (rather than trying to 'force' them to have passion for every subject) on their own time, and bring these projects to school if/when they were done for review, scrutiny and praise. That would engender friendly competition and really get creative juice flowing.

Saying that getting rid of grades would improve students' academic performance is like saying that industry thrives under communism. Yeah, in a perfect world where people try their hardest no matter what it would work. But this is the real world where most people need incentives to make any effort. The A, B, C, D, F grading scheme is meant to motivate students to learn the material. It also gives a decent indication of how you performed academically in a given class. Its probably safe to say that the student who got an "F" didn't learn as much as the student who got an "A". Hence the reason that colleges don't look at "pass/fail" courses on your transcript.

Homework is handed out in schools because most students need to practice to learn the material and most of them wouldn't be willing to do so unless they're forced to.

As for dropping subjects that students aren't interested in that's pretty stupid. What you learn in K-12 are the basics and they're necessary to know if you want to succeed in college. But even if you're not interested in college or don't see the point in learning world history when you know you wont ever use the knowledge its still important to learn the curriculum. I remember back when I took physics in high school and had to write a scientific paper that I couldn't stop thinking about how bullshit it was that I had to write that. "I'm never going to be a scientist, I'm going to be a software programmer. This is wasting my time" I thought. I took chemistry and slacked off since I never saw myself doing anything with it. Move ahead three years and now I'm a neuroscience major. Point being: your interests and goals change and as a result its important that you have all your bases covered so that you're not completely screwed if you decide you want to do something else with your life than what you originally planned.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Imagine if basic ethics

Imagine if basic ethics was taught from grade one ..... "don't make fun of deformed people or other races,  we didn't even decide to be born, anyone can get burnt up in a car crash, any one can get sick", why stealing is almost always wrong, why war is a mistake , etc etc. Make kid films etc. Teach comparative religion too .... and basic Money management.

Shit, at least agree on some fundamentals the kids need be taught. Yeah logic too ....

Give me all the kids and I WILL change the world for the better ..... start asking the  "church" to logically cooperate in basic ethical education ..... sheezz, I feel for the deprived  kids, all of them world wide ....    tears to indignation    to solutions    , we are one earth, one race ..... help YOUR world children    

RagenGaijin
RagenGaijin's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

RagenGaijin wrote:

Not a bad idea. Grade 7 - 12 is dependent on curriculum, though. First you'd have to figure out what you think is important to teach, and then do it.

But not a bad idea at all. I'd be happy to start something - I'm taking suggestions. If it's okay with everyone, we'll start with math. Sound good?

Just find out what is required by law and explain it well. I don't think its the curriculum thats bad as much as the teachers don't explain it well and schools are a complete waste of time and mental energy for most kids. I am around christian homeschoolers that are teaching themselves calculus with text books, work books and videos. These kids are 16 & 17. Thier older siblings followed the same courses and got top scores on the SATs. SO really take the christian homeschooler curriculum and remove the "God made it" stuff.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree the teachers and

I agree the teachers and school administrators have a racket going. Mediocrity and Incompetence are tolerated. They can totally suck at their jobs and get to keep it and their pensions.

The other problem is the lack of technology used to teach. This idea of a teacher in front of 20 students in a room with a chalk board is so 19th century. With modern technology, classrooms should have plasma TVs, each student a laptop. Instruction would be done over the Internet with only the best instructor in the whole country lecturing. The students are given a computer then quiz after each lesson to make sure they were paying attention.

This would greatly reduce manpower and costs at the schools. The only adults in a school should be security and discipline enforcers and perhaps a few individual tutors. But the union are such a racket at shaking down the public.

The other problem is the sense of duty to learn is not placed into the students. Students can just be fuck-offs with no discipline and society tolerates this. These 'students' need to be on probation meaning no sports and a strict curfew. Society tolerates too many people that are burdens on society, this needs to be stopped at an early age.

Politically, each state and local district needs to elect an education superintendent that is answerable only to the people.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Quote:The other

EXC wrote:

The other problem is the sense of duty to learn is not placed into the students. Students can just be fuck-offs with no discipline and society tolerates this. These 'students' need to be on probation meaning no sports and a strict curfew. Society tolerates too many people that are burdens on society, this needs to be stopped at an early age.

That's exactly the main problem with our current system. A lot of the problems with our education system is just this: "smart" people are portrayed as "Revenge of the Nerds." Jocks get about six movies a year (high school sports / cheerleading competition seems to be a big plot point). Geeks and generally well-educated people get.... well, almost none. About the only role for a smart person in most high-school movies is to play foil to the jock, or to be the disaffected loner who is contemptuous of education.

Society actively encourages dumbasses, and works to destroy any desire to learn at an early age. Anyone who's seen a two-year-old in action knows we start off naturally curious. Then we slowly get that beat out of us.

Fix this, and we fix a lot of the problems with our current system. Don't fix this, and we fix nothing at all, we just shift the problem to a new framework.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:That's

nigelTheBold wrote:

That's exactly the main problem with our current system. A lot of the problems with our education system is just this: "smart" people are portrayed as "Revenge of the Nerds." Jocks get about six movies a year (high school sports / cheerleading competition seems to be a big plot point). Geeks and generally well-educated people get.... well, almost none. About the only role for a smart person in most high-school movies is to play foil to the jock, or to be the disaffected loner who is contemptuous of education.

Society actively encourages dumbasses, and works to destroy any desire to learn at an early age. Anyone who's seen a two-year-old in action knows we start off naturally curious. Then we slowly get that beat out of us.

Fix this, and we fix a lot of the problems with our current system. Don't fix this, and we fix nothing at all, we just shift the problem to a new framework.

Amen. The whole concept of having sports/cheerleading/music as part of a taxpayer funded education is ridiculous. Since these programs don't provide much in return in the way of wealth production or jobs, why keep fuding them? If parents want these programs for their kids, pay for it themselves. You only have a right to ask society to educate your kid if the kid studies something he can get a job in and pay taxes in return.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:nigelTheBold

EXC wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Amen. The whole concept of having sports/cheerleading/music as part of a taxpayer funded education is ridiculous. Since these programs don't provide much in return in the way of wealth production or jobs, why keep fuding them? If parents want these programs for their kids, pay for it themselves. You only have a right to ask society to educate your kid if the kid studies something he can get a job in and pay taxes in return.

as a pretty proficient musician i wholeheartedly agree with kicking compulsory music classes out of public schools.  i probably would've gotten into music at a much younger age, and thus be much better than i am now with maybe even a grasp of theory (i can't read sheet music) had it not been for public school music classes.  they made me HATE music.  music teachers in public schools are notoriously bad.  mine were all dumbasses and fucking wacko, from k-12 without exception.  ask any public schoolchild what their favorite subject is.  i will give you 20 bucks if they say music.  NONE of the kids i went to school with would ever have said that.

--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah you all. Good ideas.

Yeah you all. Good ideas. Who is involved in fixing education to contact ?

....and yeah, the music teachers in even college were poor "teachers". None of them could even explain the 7 basic modes (moods) within each of the 12 tones or keys, in an understandable usable way. One good teacher is worth a score of parrots .....  

Reading music language is of course a great tool, but doesn't actually teach much. Performing, creating, and understanding music are important separate (related) subjects rarely taught well, as all subjects.

Good inspiring fun teachers are rare and should indeed be internet shared, and heck, the parrot teachers, would learn too! Degrees and credentials are over rated.

.... "give me the child and I'll give you the man" ....  

"Education is everything", well almost anyway.

Instill the kids with a positive "can do" message, and how easy, fun and rewarding it is to be even moderately successful. Everyone can have a good life, with fun toys too!  Learning should be fun, never threatening. For me, grade school was most always a real bummer with negative fear messages. I was an honor roll student and hated it ..... poor kids .... gezzz, for the most part, they are being taught to fail in all areas. No ethics, no community spirit, etc ..... 

This is a huge important fixable task ..... but don't count on the "rich" to help, they got wars to fund, and their armies need lots of poor dumb brainwashed defeated sheep ..... 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
We didn't have to take music

We didn't have to take music in High School - in Kindergarten the regular teacher taught it. 1st and 2nd grade music teacher was funny and made it interesting. The one later in elementary was a royal bitch - I got kicked out of my school in 3rd grade (long story) - the one from 4th through 6th was nice but a bit wacko. Jr High music teacher was an asshole and boring - everyone thought he was gay, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why not hire good music

Why not hire good music teachers instead and let them teach good curricula?

I, for one, would like to see musicianship return to popular music.  I don't see how to fix the radio if nobody knows anything about music.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Why not

Hambydammit wrote:

Why not hire good music teachers instead and let them teach good curricula?

I, for one, would like to see musicianship return to popular music.  I don't see how to fix the radio if nobody knows anything about music.

i have a couple things to say to that:

1.  any kid who is talented in music is going to come to it of his own accord, regardless of circumstances.  buddy guy, the great chicago blues guitarist, as a poor child in mississippi stretched a rubber band against the wall and learned how to make music with it.  in europe, conservatories existed for children who displayed talent to learn the theory, but it was never necessary.  the wealth of ballads and folk songs collected by people like child, john jacob niles, and the lomaxes show that the common folk are just as profound in their musical expressions as chopin ever was.

2.  if a kid doesn't have a predisposition to make music, he probably never will, and he certainly won't get it from compulsory education.  and the majority of children don't.  why force it down their throats?  you can't train a musician like you can a fucking electrician.

3.  the fucking banality of modern pop music has nothing to do with musical education at all.  it has to do with the vast changes that have taken place in the music industry, an oversaturated public, and overexposed artists.  kids like britney spears and justin timberlake only know they want to be famous.  they have no idea what they want to express as artists, or even how to be artists.  fifty or even thirty years ago, a pop artist like elvis or sinatra or jerry lee lewis appeared on the scene with an established mode of expression and a fully formed oeuvre.  they developed it by "paying dues."  the pop industry doesn't want that anymore.  they want weak-minded mediocre kids who can be easily molded.  and honestly, even modern fucking jazz (which in my opinion, as a huge fan of billie holiday, eddie lang, lonnie johnson, cliff edwards, ma rainey, roy smeck, satchmo, etc., fucking sucks ASS) is little different.  modern blues is also feeling the pressure (look at johnnie lang or keb mo for christ's sake).  and bluegrass as well (fuck "oh brother" in the fucking neck and allison krauss is a 75% pop country).

--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1.  any kid who is

Quote:
1.  any kid who is talented in music is going to come to it of his own accord, regardless of circumstances.

I'm going to stringently disagree with you, and then mention that I've got a masters degree in music, 15 years of music teaching experience, two years of touring with a band, college teaching experience, composition experience, am very proficient in jazz and jazz theory as well as classical theory, and helped design a history of rock and roll syllabus.  I really do know all about this.

Quote:
2.  if a kid doesn't have a predisposition to make music, he probably never will, and he certainly won't get it from compulsory education.

Again, I will disagree.  Study after study demonstrates that early study of music increases children's reasoning skills in many other areas, and has a decent chance to increase their attention span, focus, and multitasking ability.  All of this is regardless of their talent level or future involvement in music.

In early childhood, music is brain food.

Quote:
3.  the fucking banality of modern pop music has nothing to do with musical education at all.  it has to do with the vast changes that have taken place in the music industry, an oversaturated public, and overexposed artists.

The banality of modern pop music has much to do with the music industry, but trust me.  I am surrounded by musicians all the time.   Everyone in the service industry is in a band.  When the rare band comes through that is very musically proficient, it always causes a big stir.  The industry does respond to the indie scene.  The indie scene is dominated by a minimalist approach, where musical ability is not nearly so important as a good image and disdain for "schooled music."

I have a lot of problems with musical academia.  Lots.  It's why I stopped without getting a PhD.  However, I cannot advocate non-education as a solution to an education problem.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I agree Hamby .... Music if

I agree Hamby .... Music if taught in a fun way is also a "meditative" stress reliever and out let. So many people shun learning simple piano, guitar etc because of the lousy way it is taught. Pushing the "reading music" at the very start is not encouraging. I've been told many times that I am the "best music teacher ever!"

So many think they can't play even basic music, that they are tone deaf etc , and that's really a shame ...... me and "My Baby Grand"! ..... and "I still got my guitar" ..... healthy I'd say ..... of course an obsession it can also be ...... was for me .....

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't tell you the number

I can't tell you the number of people I've met who, upon learning that I used to teach music, say, "Wow.  Yeah.  I studied music when I was a kid.  I wish I had stuck with it."

My teaching involved learning to read music by writing music, and by learning playing and reading side by side.  I think it's really important to be able to read music.  How many famous poets have you heard of who couldn't read?  Transmitting music from one generation to the next is as important as being able to play it now, at least in some respects.

Unfortunately, the music teaching profession is very slow to acknowledge problems with its methods.  We know now that much of the note for note, excruciatingly slow rote learning is inefficient and discouraging, but it's still the M.O. for most teachers.  It's possible to teach playing, reading, and theory as an integrated whole without turning it into a horrible experience.

As an aside, I teach jazz theory alongside classical theory.  When you understand that there are only three functions of chords -- tonic, dominant, and subdominant -- or home, destination, and route -- it becomes a lot easier to digest things like Italian sixths, which is just a conveniently reworded dominant resolving to an unusual place.

Also, it's really encouraging when a child learns that there are only two places he can be while improvising -- consonant or dissonant.  Whichever he is, all he needs to do is move a half step in either direction to be in the other place.

Sorry... went music geek there for a second.

Books about atheism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I'm going

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm going to stringently disagree with you, and then mention that I've got a masters degree in music, 15 years of music teaching experience, two years of touring with a band, college teaching experience, composition experience, am very proficient in jazz and jazz theory as well as classical theory, and helped design a history of rock and roll syllabus.  I really do know all about this.

i have no doubt about your competence.  while i have no academic credentials, i have been actively performing for 7 years, beginning in the bar scene.  i now live in slovakia and tour with a country band.  we're fairly well known here and make decent money, though i still have my job teaching english.  i play guitar and harmonica very proficiently, particularly early rural american styles, blues, country, rockabilly, jazz, folk, and bluegrass.  i can also play banjo, autoharp, bass, dulcimer, and make a decent sound on any stringed instrument.  i sing ok and do very little  songwriting, but i consider myself more an instrumentalist.  which is ironic, since i'm the band's frontman.

i don't put much stock in musical academia.  i've known some music majors who were pretty piss-poor musicians, though i'm certainly not implying you're one.

Hambydammit wrote:

Again, I will disagree.  Study after study demonstrates that early study of music increases children's reasoning skills in many other areas, and has a decent chance to increase their attention span, focus, and multitasking ability.  All of this is regardless of their talent level or future involvement in music.

In early childhood, music is brain food.

i agree music is good for every child.  i tell my wife all the time that when she becomes pregnant, i want her around music of my choosing constantly.  and if you're talking about music appreciation being compulsory, i'm open.  i don't know if the taxpayers should be made to pay for daily classes in it, but hell, why not play mozart while the kids are coloring?

but notice my wording: "if a child is predisposed to making music," not "liking music."  i have never heard of a great musician who chalked his or her ability up to compulsory education in music theory (which is what they attempt to teach in public school).  in fact, as i said, it stunted my musical growth.  my friend who was a music major in college even was predisposed to making music (he and i butted heads all the time), and after four years he was a decent drummer and bassist, a mediocre pianist, a horrible singer, but fantastic at being a music snob, i.e., parroting his professors' tastes (that were probably also parroted).

Hambydammit wrote:

The banality of modern pop music has much to do with the music industry, but trust me.  I am surrounded by musicians all the time.   Everyone in the service industry is in a band.  When the rare band comes through that is very musically proficient, it always causes a big stir.  The industry does respond to the indie scene.  The indie scene is dominated by a minimalist approach, where musical ability is not nearly so important as a good image and disdain for "schooled music."

I have a lot of problems with musical academia.  Lots.  It's why I stopped without getting a PhD.  However, I cannot advocate non-education as a solution to an education problem.

i am also surrounded by musicians all the time, and was from birth (my father and two of my uncles were in a local country band for many years).  i'm not impressed by the indie scene.  everything is about image now.  punk comes out, punk gets domesticated.  metal comes out, metal gets domesticated.  grunge comes out, grunge gets domesticated.  it's as inevitable as time. 

but do you think teaching kids music will get rid of all that?  it may do the kids a lot of good but i predict the pop scene will always be what is: about commodities, not music.  kids might grow up to be musicians or they might not, but ALL kids will grow up to be consumers.  but the truly great musicians--the charlie christians, the mose allisons, the john lee hookers, the thelonius monks, the john faheys, the van morrisons--they will come out of the woodwork regardless of what is in the schools.  i truly think it must be due to some mental anomaly they're born with.  at best, compulsory musical education can only help the majority of society to appreciate them.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Whichever

Hambydammit wrote:

Whichever he is, all he needs to do is move a half step in either direction to be in the other place.

which is precisely why i love fretless instruments.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I can't

Hambydammit wrote:

I can't tell you the number of people I've met who, upon learning that I used to teach music, say, "Wow.  Yeah.  I studied music when I was a kid.  I wish I had stuck with it."

yes, but why didn't they "stick with it"?  because they had no affinity for it.  i mean, ask everybody on the street if they'd like to be able to play a musical instrument and it's likely everyone will say yes.  but i find it very hard to believe the world will lose another ray charles because there's no training in schools.

in fact, that reminds me of an anecdote i heard johnny cash tell.  when he was a child his mother sent him to a singing coach.  she heard him sing and said, "go home.  don't ever let anyone tell you how to sing."  that was it.  his formal musical education ended there.  now most people don't consider johnny cash a good singer, but his voice held the world's attention in a way even caruso never could.

--Hunter S. Thompson

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah , of course reading and

Yeah , of course reading and writing the universal music language is good, and so is understanding it by numbers. But I teach basic jamming first. The 3 finger claw on the piano for instance. And teaching the blues scale right off gets the beginner excited and interested ..... hey wow, I am making hip groovy music already, they say smiling .....

Lesson two, maybe .... The pure major scale is also a pure minor scale at the 6th tone.  See how easy it is in C , all white keys.  The layout on the piano is extremely helpful in "seeing" music structure. I insist guitar students get a cheap used electric key board ASAP. HEY look , the transpose fuction is like a guitar capo !   The beginners freak ! Yeah, learn just one piano scale and jam in any of the 12 keys !

Then the 7 unaltered modes, colors, I call and demonstrate as "moods" ...... happy , sad , mysterious, self reflecting , dim spooky etc. I made a list, it's been awhile since I privately taught ...  Popular Bluesy unaltered minor 7- Mode 2 ///  Mode 5, the strong "I CAN", Maj flat 7.  The 4 mode ma7  of deep caring. Sad minor 6  

Of course we can make that sad 6 MAD too ..... and eloquent .... 

Watch out a flat 5 modulation, did I scare ya ! Hey, try that 7 on the bottom of the chord ! The dark way .....

The altered emotional Harmonic minor  ..... chord scales = harmony . Having fun using time sigs ... a 5/4 bridge ( mess with the listener a bit! ) half time - double time

Yeah I love music and teaching it ALOT  ...... I played guitar primarily , now I mostly read and type the PC ..... but most every evening the players show up here and use my instruments and front room music studio. It's busy around here, add beer and my posting goes real wacko !          

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
allow me to just clarify my

allow me to just clarify my position.  i am all for introducing children to music at the youngest age possible.  but i think it is a waste of taxpayer money to have compulsory formal musical education (or what passes for it) in public schools.  maybe state subsidized training programs for underpriveleged children who are interested is a good idea, but not universal and compulsory music theory.  maybe compulsory music appreciation or music history in schools, at least in elementary schools, with an emphasis on cultural and historical context rather than theory, would be a good idea, and would bring out the kids who really want to play it.

i have never missed being able to talk in theoretical jargon.  the words take longer to say than sliding up a fret or hitting a key, and if any musician shows me rather than tells me it is much more helpful and i understand what he means immediately.  the only time i have ever missed being able to read and write sheet music is when i have a strings or horn arrangement in my head but i cannot really communicate it.  then again, i havent made it big enough yet to work with an orchestra so no big deal.  if i ever do i will probably do what tom waits does: go in my bathroom with a tape recorder and beatbox and hum it out.  maybe even add that to the track too.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:i have never missed

Quote:
i have never missed being able to talk in theoretical jargon.

And you've also never known how awesome it is to use theory to make your life incredibly easy.  I've played gigs that would take other people two weeks to prepare, and I just come in and read charts, or read music, or write out a quick chart from a single hearing of the piece.

Quote:
the words take longer to say than sliding up a fret or hitting a key

And people like me make twice as much, or more, because we can play by ear, or by note, or by chart, and if something is really technical, we just use our theory knowledge to get us through.

I'm not trying to get down on you.  I'm just pointing out that the people who have never missed theory because they have never learned it don't know what they've never missed.

Books about atheism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:And people

Hambydammit wrote:

And people like me make twice as much, or more, because we can play by ear, or by note, or by chart, and if something is really technical, we just use our theory knowledge to get us through.

I'm not trying to get down on you.  I'm just pointing out that the people who have never missed theory because they have never learned it don't know what they've never missed.

well, in all fairness, you do not know what i make playing music so you cannot say you make twice as much.  i have played everything except classical, latin, and hip-hop, and i have never run up against a problem arranging or performing a song, whether it be an original or a cover, that i have not been able to get past in 5 or 10 minutes.  i have played with bands in live gigs before where i have had a couple hours of practice, if any, beforehand and have never had any problems.  knowing theory might very well bring me new ideas, but not knowing theory has never handicapped me.  and making money is not based of how well you know theory anyway.  almost all of the artists i have been referencing since we started this discussion had no grasp of theory and many of them made milions and worked consistently for decades. 

--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:well, in all fairness,

Quote:
well, in all fairness, you do not know what i make playing music so you cannot say you make twice as much.

Pardon my vagueness.  I was saying that on average, in gigs that I've played, I've been able to make twice as much than other musicians around me.  I figure this two ways.  One, when I was playing professionally, I had a great reputation, and could charge more.  Two, I hardly ever had to do rehearsals, so I was making more per man hour than anyone else.

Quote:
i have played everything except classical, latin, and hip-hop, and i have never run up against a problem arranging or performing a song, whether it be an original or a cover, that i have not been able to get past in 5 or 10 minutes.

I believe you.

Quote:
knowing theory might very well bring me new ideas, but not knowing theory has never handicapped me.

I'm not going to bicker about this.  You're perfectly welcome to any opinion you like.  You have no idea what you'd be capable of doing if you were well versed in theory since you've never been well versed in theory.  Perhaps you're right.  I never claimed that everyone without exception would be better off knowing theory.  However, in my experience, which is considerable, I've watched people who didn't know either how to read music, or how to think theory, have problems with unfamiliar situations, with great regularity.

Look, I'm not a theory snob.  Quite the opposite.  I just get aggravated when people try to tell me from their position of ignorance about theory that my knowledge of theory is a waste.  I happen to know better.

Quote:
almost all of the artists i have been referencing since we started this discussion had no grasp of theory and many of them made milions and worked consistently for decades.

I was a trench musician.  I made lots of money by getting a lot of gigs, not by doing record deals.  We're talking about apples and oranges.

Frankly, this is why I don't argue about this.  I forgot how annoying it is.  For the record, this is what I think.  If you disagree, then we agree to disagree as far as I'm concerned....

Musicians don't need to know theory to be talented, proficient, or successful.  However, knowing more about music is better than knowing less.  Knowing theory is better than not knowing theory. Knowing how to read is better than not knowing how to read.

Books about atheism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Musicians

Hambydammit wrote:

Musicians don't need to know theory to be talented, proficient, or successful.  However, knowing more about music is better than knowing less.  Knowing theory is better than not knowing theory. Knowing how to read is better than not knowing how to read.

agreed.  i realize i've gotten very far from my initial point.  my point is, musical theory is forced upon public school students for many years without discretion.  this is a waste of taxpayers' money, as the vast majority of public school children have no interest in musical theory nor do they retain it.  make it available, by all means, even through state subsidies as i said, but don't make it compulsory.  every public elementary, middle, and high school in every county and city does not need a music teacher.  that is my point.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I disagree for a

Well, I disagree for a variety of reasons.  First, since I've studied quite a bit about the way children learn music, and how the various parts of the music experience are learned, I believe that it is better to teach the whole package, rather than take out the parts that some children find distasteful.

Briefly, music theory is the description of how tones interact, both vertically and horizontally.  By teaching a child the difference between consonance and dissonance, and then showing them how to represent the alternations between them visually, we are engaging the visual and aural, and the child is forming neural networks capable of synthesizing the two quickly and effectively.  They are learning how to predict while they listen and watch.  In short, they are learning to use more skills at once, which is a highly useful skill, regardless of whether it's employed in music or not.

By teaching them how to notate what they hear visually, we are training them spatially and giving them abstract reasoning skills.  By teaching them to write music away from their instrument, we are training them to think in two directions at once.  We are training their predictive abilities as well.

I agree with you that the way music is taught in schools is ridiculous.  Many existing programs probably do very little good, and probably do some harm.  This doesn't mean that teaching music as an integrated subject is a bad idea.  It means the way we're doing it is a bad idea.

Quote:
this is a waste of taxpayers' money, as the vast majority of public school children have no interest in musical theory nor do they retain it.

Again, this is a fault of the method, not the subject.  Over and over, research has proven music to be one of the most effective tools for teaching many skills.  Children in good music programs do better in other subjects, regardless of their interest.  The point is not whether they'll retain the music theory until they're fifty.  It's whether it will help their minds develop while they're learning it.

Quote:
every public elementary, middle, and high school in every county and city does not need a music teacher.  that is my point.

Well, I guess we just disagree.  Not only is music something that virtually everyone likes to listen to, it taps into our psyche at a very early age.  It's an incredibly effective tool, and I believe it should be part of the education curriculum.  I admit to my bias because I taught music for so long, but my bias comes from lots of evidence indicating just how beneficial music education is.

Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:as a pretty

iwbiek wrote:

as a pretty proficient musician i wholeheartedly agree with kicking compulsory music classes out of public schools.  i probably would've gotten into music at a much younger age, and thus be much better than i am now with maybe even a grasp of theory (i can't read sheet music) had it not been for public school music classes.  they made me HATE music.  music teachers in public schools are notoriously bad.  mine were all dumbasses and fucking wacko, from k-12 without exception.  ask any public schoolchild what their favorite subject is.  i will give you 20 bucks if they say music.  NONE of the kids i went to school with would ever have said that.

Aren't all music teachers people that failed at making any money with music, so then they can only earn a living teaching.

High school coaches are all failed athletes.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Well, I

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, I guess we just disagree.  Not only is music something that virtually everyone likes to listen to, it taps into our psyche at a very early age.  It's an incredibly effective tool, and I believe it should be part of the education curriculum.  I admit to my bias because I taught music for so long, but my bias comes from lots of evidence indicating just how beneficial music education is.

I like music as much as anyone, but it is essential a drug, it is a hobby. People like to play video games, do we fund programs for that in school? There may be benefits to the individual just as there are with sports. But it provides little in the way of economic benefit to society. Taxpayers should only be expected to pay for education where there is a return on investment for society. This would mean schools need to provide people ready to take jobs in demand.

Since the supply of musicians far exceeds the economic demand, it makes no sense to publicly fund it.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Funding healthy happy kids

Funding healthy happy kids would definitely include all the major arts, sports, and recreation to some degree.  Video games are computer science, and art etc.

Geezzz, what's the war budget this crazy day. Something is FUCKED UP, ass backwards!

What is money, a game ? The rich (gamers) are ripping the rest off, plain and simple ..... eat them !  Fuck this corrupt game of brainwash .....

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Aren't all music

Quote:
Aren't all music teachers people that failed at making any money with music, so then they can only earn a living teaching.

Many of the best teachers I've known taught during the day and gigged at night.  Most gigs don't pay that well.  Neither does teaching.

As to the comment that music is a hobby and a luxury, I'm not going to belabor the point here since I've got a big essay in the works, but most people have an ass-backward understanding of the role of pleasure in the human psyche.  It turns out that learning doesn't always have to be drudgery, and some things that are pleasurable also happen to be very useful.

I'm not sure who first developed the idea that school was just for book learning.  I'd like to meet them and kick them in the nuts.  Children need lots of different kinds of development, and they spend more time in school than anywhere else.  If we thought of grade school more as a developmental institution (much like the Greeks did) than a strictly academic establishment, I think we might turn out happier and smarter kids.

Books about atheism

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate school...

I'm 17 and currently a Junior in a high school of the U.S. Education system. It most righteously sucks.

My school, I believe is especially bad. It's one of those "numbers schools"--a place more concerned with its statistics on paper than actual services rendered to its taxpayer's children.

We spend excruciating amounts of time doing standardized test prep, both state and national. I failed an English course freshman year, and was able to make it up in 3 days of a $225 summer school course. I learned little in that time, but more than I learned in the failed semester of the class.The system is basically to make it extremely easy to pass classes if you fail them, and spend our time getting ready for the money makers, the standardized tests. Looks good on paper: amazing test scores and record numbers of graduates, never mind the fact some can't even speak fluent English.

And free speech is definitely encouraged, as long as you freely speak of material approved by the administration.

If anyone has questions about the school system from an inside view I'll do my best to answer, although  it will be based on an un-average, corrupted system. If not, that's cool, I've got mountains of homework they expect me to finish.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
pryrokidd, I'm 57, and I

pryrokidd,  

I'm 57, and I most totally relate. I AM old and sorry for not acting more on my innate young rebellion,  .... my only excuse is I , due to school and religious rumor brainwashing, didn't trust my own common sense. I was denied myself !

You are are a lucky lad, much wiser than I at 17 .... and I AM a lucky one .... and that hurts to realize .... me lucky, ....  ain't good enough !  

Go kids , you are GOD ..... this is your world to celebrate .....  WAR is a LIE .... Work is the enemy ......fuck them war and work  people, fuck them money changers ..... said some Jesus story dude too !  .... yeah .... "EAT THE RICH" , no heaven on earth with them  .....

"Eat The Rich", just means heal them , NO MASTERS , we are one , FUCK YOU old brainwashed has beens and your surrender and patriotism to RICH GREEDY tradition ..... I WANT  MORE .... lots more ,,,, and all FUN .... Why not?  .... FUCK TRADITION ..... Fuck you rich  robbers of FUN for all .... Robin Hood yeah ....  a high prophet indeed .....    a lover ! 

LOVE IS OUR LAW, so broken .....  why why why ???  

Hey fellow earthlings  .....  CHILL  .....  let's relax  ..... crazy for WHAT ???

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Many of the best teachers I've known taught during the day and gigged at night.  Most gigs don't pay that well.  Neither does teaching.

As to the comment that music is a hobby and a luxury, I'm not going to belabor the point here since I've got a big essay in the works, but most people have an ass-backward understanding of the role of pleasure in the human psyche.  It turns out that learning doesn't always have to be drudgery, and some things that are pleasurable also happen to be very useful.

I'm not sure who first developed the idea that school was just for book learning.  I'd like to meet them and kick them in the nuts.  Children need lots of different kinds of development, and they spend more time in school than anywhere else.  If we thought of grade school more as a developmental institution (much like the Greeks did) than a strictly academic establishment, I think we might turn out happier and smarter kids.

I forgot to mention this.

Where the fuck was my 'build cool shit wth Legos' class? My 'talk about shit with classmates and learn to make smalltalk and be social' class? My 'shout your opinions and get behind them' class? My 'this is how you fuck someone so they shriek in tongues to their deity' class? My 'this is how you know you have a good job' class? My 'this is how you balance your chequebook' class?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I, for

Hambydammit wrote:

Musicianship IS in popular music. If you're not hearing it, it's because the producer is masking it pretty well. Or they're just using samples. There are plenty of incredible musicians, but there's only a small demand for incredible musicians doing incredible things. Our idea of a great guitar player is John Mayer, and people still think Neil Peart can play the drums. So I don't know what to tell you. These people keep buying the records ...

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Aren't all music

EXC wrote:

Oh man are you asking for it with that one. The answer is "no". A lot of people really like teaching music.

EXC wrote:

You're just looking for a fight at this point.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Where

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Where the fuck was my 'build cool shit wth Legos' class? My 'talk about shit with classmates and learn to make smalltalk and be social' class? My 'shout your opinions and get behind them' class? My 'this is how you fuck someone so they shriek in tongues to their deity' class? My 'this is how you know you have a good job' class? My 'this is how you balance your chequebook' class?

NOW we're getting somewhere. Man would I love for there to be practical instruction in school. The "balancing your checkbook"-type one would be so easy. Children could do it, and they'd feel like superstars because they could do things adults do. A debate class would be good. How about an essay class? I had to take an essay class outside of high-school because nobody ever tells you exactly how to do the one thing they always ask you to do.

How about an investing class? Nobody would ever be taken in by "financial planners" again! It's not like you couldn't learn what they know in high school. So many opportunities for practical skills (like playing instruments, which is a practical skill no matter what anyone says). Then, at least, marking would be easier: "How hard did you try to get better?"

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

I agree learning needs to be made more fun. But the only way there should be publically funded music education is if it can be proven it provides a net economic benefit to society and the taxpayers funding it. I think it's great if parents have the money to teach their children music. But I don't think overall music education pays for itself. All I see is a lot of unemployed musicians instead of people trained to take jobs in demand. It's another one sided relationship where one group is the givers(taxpayers) and the other is takers(musicians trained in public schools).

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:EXC

HisWillness wrote:

EXC wrote:

Oh man are you asking for it with that one. The answer is "no". A lot of people really like teaching music.

EXC wrote:

You're just looking for a fight at this point.

'Those that can't do, teach, and those that can't teach... teach gym.'

You didn't go to anyplace like my high school.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:You didn't go to

EXC wrote:

You didn't go to anyplace like my high school.

Probably not. But saying "my high school sucked" and "music teachers suck" are different things.

The funny thing is ... my mother was a gym teacher before she became a musician. Not even joking. So I had a good laugh at your original post, because there would be no way for you to even come up with a better "your mom" joke.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I agree learning needs

Quote:

I agree learning needs to be made more fun. But the only way there should be publically funded music education is if it can be proven it provides a net economic benefit to society and the taxpayers funding it.

WTF!?!?!?!?!? ECONOMIC BENEFITS? Although I'm sure it would help economically, why not pay for it so that kids can find some passion? Maybe learn there's more to life than zoning laws and filing for taxes? This is spoken like a true graduate of our conformity machine. If nothing else, do it because kids like it. Is that not good enough?

I should also take a moment to say I'm writing this in class...one of my classes I actually enjoy. It's a creative writing class, and one of the few refuges from the general bullshit of the system. Of course, it's been attacked and the administration would like it shut down. Any time the teacher thinks of something new we should try, it seems to piss off the front office folks pretty bad.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan