Christian License Plate being Considered in florida

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian License Plate being Considered in florida

Craig Dobson and friends are trying to convince the Florida legislature to approve a Christian License Plate with "I Believe" on it and a cross. Florida has over 100 specialty tags so far including the infamous Yellow "Choose Life" tag. Other tags such as the Challenger Tag are common, I have one myself. Usually $25 goes to a named charitable function from the sale of the tag. This new Christian tag would be the first in the United States. This to me is a clear violation of church and state and should not be approved. Should this tag be approved I'm going to submit a request for an atheist tag to my representative. Should they not allow an atheist tag I will pursue it in the courts. If you have any suggestions for an atheist tag please post them.

Link to article: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jpCRa_2onj6TwJ2DCIlU7OPlswnAD908EOA80

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How about "god is just

How about "god is just pretend."

To counter the choose life one, pro-life shittards make me so pissed the mildest I can think of is "If you don't like abortion don't have one. Too bad your mama didnt have one or keep 'em closed."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
This article mentions that

This article mentions that the same bill would create an "in god we trust" license plate. In 2004 a "Family First" plate was created and the fee goes to support a group whose primary purpose is to "spread the good word".

Some of the opposition is doing stupid things that help illustrate why the state needs to keep its collective hands off of religion: Rep. Kelly Skidmore voted against the new plate not because she's worried about church-state separation, but because she doesn't want to see Jews get a license plate for them.

Rep. Bullard, the fellow sponsoring the bill, has stated he would not support an "I don't believe" plate for atheists.

Faith and belief simply have no place in the workings of the law and government. Even the tiniest step in that direction causes political friction and social strata that government needs to be preventing rather than encouraging. It can't be government for and by the people if it even appears to be for and by some of the people.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
If money is going from the

If money is going from the state coffers to a religious organization, that's something that needs to be brought to court immediately. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
The In God We Trust Plate

The In God We Trust Plate would benefit the children of soldiers and law enforcement who have been killed. It is the same as an Indiana tag that the ACLU has challenged and the courts so far are saying it is legal. Christians will use any excuse or anyone to promote their views. The Family First tag actually has no religious mottos on it but the extra fees go to the Sheridan House which provides family programs but also has a mission to spread Christianity. Several years ago they tried to pass a bill to authorize Trust God on a tag. It was defeated.  I don't see how the legislature can pass this but they clearly don't take in consideration the impact of their actions. Consider their change of the Presidential Primary to 1/29 this year where it eliminated Florida's impact and disenfranhased Florida Democrats. The latest Orlando Sentinel poll shows the issue as 50/50 by its readers. That's a good sign.

The Bill's sponsor reasons if this is approved others will want to have their view on a tag as well. He says if atheists submit a request for "I Don't Believe" he would probably vote against it. This smacks of discrimination to me and I certainly am willing to be the one to demand an atheist tag. "I Don't Believe" isn't expressive enough and it should be a positive message not negative. The RRS logo is a little long to fit on the tag and probably has little chance of being approved. Perhaps "Reason Rules" or "Science Made Your World" has a shot.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find this plate bloody

I find this plate bloody hilarious.

Quote:
The new design is a chance for others to put a tag on their cars with "something they believe in," he said.

What if they believe in Allah?  What if they believe in Krishna?  What if they believe in the FSM?  Are there plates for THOSE people to put on their cars with "something they believe in"?

They shouldn't be releasing those plates unless they're simultaneously releasing plates for EVERY religion and lack of religion.  All or none, they need to choose.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Florida lawmakers debate offering a Christian license plate

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
abcnews.go.com/US/wireStoryHe

oops. double-post.