A small victory in Texas of all places!

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A small victory in Texas of all places!

This brightened my day Smiling Texas board of higher education flatly rejected "creationist science degree"

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/education/stories/042408dntexcreationscience2.917bf873.html

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Page not found when I went

Page not found when I went there.

I'm actually disappointed I wanted them to research the answer to the burning question of why Noah didn't save any dinosaurs on the ark? Any ideas?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try this link. I can't

Try this link.

I can't fathom why everyone insists on just pasting a URL.  You've all seen it tens if not hundreds of times on this site, the software the board runs on can't handle plain URL's.  It either adds spaces and random characters to the end, or it cuts it short with a "...". 

When posting a link, look for this picture in the comment box, and use it!

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Try this

thingy wrote:

Try this link.

I can't fathom why everyone insists on just pasting a URL.  You've all seen it tens if not hundreds of times on this site, the software the board runs on can't handle plain URL's.  It either adds spaces and random characters to the end, or it cuts it short with a "...". 

When posting a link, look for this picture in the comment box, and use it!

Problem is not everyone on here is a computer geek and that link button isn't that easy to figure out (actually up until very recently it didn't work at all for those of us with IE.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
You don't have to be a

You don't have to be a computer geek to know how to do something that's been around since at least Microsoft Office 97.

We are working on a fix. This site, which runs the same software we do, seems to have fixed the link problem. I will see if I can get them to divulge what they did.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well I myself have only had

Well I myself have only had a computer since 2004 and some of us really only know the basic stuff (as in turning it on and basic websurfing.). I don't have and never had any version of Microsoft office.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
You have over 5000 posts. I

You have over 5000 posts. I am pretty sure you have figured it out by now.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will admit that the chain

I will admit that the chain "link" function was new to me until late last year. What does the anchor thingy do?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding the article

I had never heard of "The Institute for Creation Research" looks like they are well organized. I can't believe that they can offer: "...an advanced degree in science education as well as self-paced non-degree curricula to prepare scientists, teachers, and professionals in the key issues of science, creationism, and apologetics to thoroughly understand and effectively communicate biblical truth in the field of science."

Wouldn't someone that receives the degree they are offering be pigeon holed for a job? Would scientists want a group of peers that are shoving the 'biblical truth' within their field?

ugh

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Well I

MattShizzle wrote:

Well I myself have only had a computer since 2004 and some of us really only know the basic stuff (as in turning it on and basic websurfing.). I don't have and never had any version of Microsoft office.

I would have thought it to be the more basic way to do things.  Very similar to word/email programs actually, whole bunch of buttons up the top for certain functionality *shrug*.  The only real difference is the icon, it's just a chain where as in most other programs it's a picture of the earth with the chain in front.

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:
I will admit that the chain "link" function was new to me until late last year. What does the anchor thingy do?

Until late last year it actually came up in a window too small to use on my screen. Smiling I'm glad it's a usable size now, especially seeing as I can't seem to get BBCode for a lot of things to work anymore, that broke about the same time.

As for the anchor, if you look in the location bar when you click on "quote" the end of the URL you get will be "quote=1#comment-form", and when you click on the number of new posts to get to a thread the end of the URL will be something like "13712#new".  There will be what is known as an anchor in those pages, the title of the anchor will be "comment-form" and "new" respectively for each example.  Putting the #anchorname in to the URL is meant to automatically scroll down your browser to the section of the page where that anchor is.

So, if you were to click on this link and select to open it to a new tab, theoretically it should open that tab to this thread and scroll to this line as I've put an anchor at the start of it.  Of course, it won't work overly well until there's a few more replies under this one as there isn't enough of the page under this post for the browser to scroll to the right spot.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I'm actually

EXC wrote:

I'm actually disappointed I wanted them to research the answer to the burning question of why Noah didn't save any dinosaurs on the ark? Any ideas?

LOL, I never really thought about that! They'll probably say that he just saved the birds. Their stories just don't match up with the reality/facts we observed on a daily basis. They'll never understand; but their children's, children, children's, children will understand.

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:looks like they are

Quote:

looks like they are well organized.

Don't be frightened or fooled by it. These are the same people who once openly, flatly, and plainly stated "entropy can never decrease", thereby directly demonstrating, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that none of them have ever passed elementary high school physics.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like the IDiots bit

Looks like the IDiots bit off a little more than they could chew on this one. Maybe they should go back to hoodwinking hick school boards in tiny backwaters. I know: they should get a bus and paint it up. They could call it "The Incredible IDiot Travelling Roadshow Spectacular of Amazing Real-Life Knowledge." They drive town to town, stopping in mall parking lots and putting on their super-duper show, complete with scantily clad ladies, barkers in top hats and Bible-juggling clowns on unicycles. They collect cash to support the IDiot cause from every rube they can convince then move on to the next town, just a jump ahead of fraud lawyers, police and angry mobs. They could do a little side business in herpetological epidermal extracts while they are there.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: These are

deludedgod wrote:

These are the same people who once openly, flatly, and plainly stated "entropy can never decrease", thereby directly demonstrating, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that none of them have ever passed elementary high school physics.

Oh, good - more of that. Whenever someone starts their argument with the 2nd law of thermodynamics, it gives me a slight twitch. "Evolution can't happen because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics!" Holy shit, people. This is what happens when you get your science education in church.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"Scientists have compared

"Scientists have compared the DNA of humans and dirt and it's so close that it is almost scary!"

-From the preacher's sermon the last time I was in church...here in Texas...

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe by "dirt" he meant

Maybe by "dirt" he meant atheists?

kaab
User is offlineOffline
This is.....

no better, and certainly no worse, than if a university offered a degree in "Religious Ridiculousness" and now that i say that, I might very well be inclined to take such a class. more than likely this religious oriented curriculum would point you towards time-worn arguments like irreducible complexity, ignoring the fact that what they imagine, as they look at rudimentary facts regarding certain bacteria and sponge, is even more irreducible than they could possibly imagine and that each and every example is a one-of-a-kind species all it's own and there will never be another one like it, ever. So, tell me, what kind of God, who wants you to sacrifice virgin show-quality goats with no imperfections would ever think of things like microscopic organisms that can invade your body through the souls of your feet or detect your piss from great distances and crawl up your urethra and imbed itself in your pee-hole? A sick bastard that has been listening to too much Tool, that's who.

kaab
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:Looks like

Tilberian wrote:

Looks like the IDiots bit off a little more than they could chew on this one. Maybe they should go back to hoodwinking hick school boards in tiny backwaters. I know: they should get a bus and paint it up. They could call it "The Incredible IDiot Travelling Roadshow Spectacular of Amazing Real-Life Knowledge." They drive town to town, stopping in mall parking lots and putting on their super-duper show, complete with scantily clad ladies, barkers in top hats and Bible-juggling clowns on unicycles. They collect cash to support the IDiot cause from every rube they can convince then move on to the next town, just a jump ahead of fraud lawyers, police and angry mobs. They could do a little side business in herpetological epidermal extracts while they are there.

They are still doing this dude.