Gun Free Zones

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gun Free Zones

I can't understand the logical process behind these laws. They're the idea that government buildings like schools and post offices should be gun-free, meaning harsh penalties for carrying weapons on to the property. Heres the logical disconnection: if you have someone who's willing to go on a rampage and kill people, why do they give a flying f*** if it's in a gun-free zone? If breaking a law--like committing murder--is no big deal, what's a "please don't bring guns here" sign gonna do?

Actually I'd say it makes most these places more dangerous. It means the majority of good, law-abiding people have no guns, while that one or two psychopaths have as many as they can carry. I don't know if we should just give everyone a gun, but there has to be something better than this.

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
prejudice

I don't know why I didn't spot this sooner:

MattShizzle wrote:

Yes, I hate guns. I would be horrified to know people were carrying guns in the grocery store, mall or whatever. Luckilly I live in Pennsylvania and not a super-redneck state so it's illegal to carry in public. If someone's carrying a gun in public (obviously not a hunter hunting or having it in the back of the car/truck, a police officer, or other such situation) The SWAT team needs to show up. Another point - why is it the fucked up states that have less gun control (Texas, the South) also have way higher gun crime than the sane states that give you 5 years as a state guest for carrying anything other than a hunting rifle or such (Most of New England?)

By saying things like super-redneck, calling other states fucked up, etc.....it sounds like you have a biased view of a person with a gun. I think many people have this because the most exposure they get to weapons is on the news in the hands of a nutcase.

Stop thinking of all gun owners as beer-swilling lunatics who want to blast strangers for looking at them the wrong way. Instead, picture your best friends having a gun. They're the same person you know, they just happen to own a firearm. Are you afraid of them?

-Carl Sagan

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
The "we need our guns in

The "we need our guns in case we want to revolt" is mental...get a better electoral process if that's your fear.

Further though, there are more guns per capita in Canada than in the US while having less than half the gun-related death rate per capita (which is still incredibly high).

The casual access to firearms is not a preventative measure, it is excessive and unneccessary.  Access to guns in the states is far too easy.  Poverty contributes to it as well.  I think there's also a cultural influence there that I just don't think is fully understood...a hostility level in the states that just seems to have people closer to the breaking point than elsewhere in the world.

Eh...I don't fully get it...but I do know that it is one of the prime reasons I don't entertain and turn down jobs in the states.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The "we need our guns

Quote:
The "we need our guns in case we want to revolt" is mental...get a better electoral process if that's your fear.

I wasn't going to go there, but I'm glad somebody did.  Barking mad to assume that an armed populace could or would overthrow this government.  Barking mad.

I mean, first off, notice that our government is fucking lunatic now and 50% of the nation thinks it's pretty ok.  Second, how long is the revolt going to last if planes start dropping fucking bunker busters on people?  Third, have you noticed that you can't get on a plane without stripping down to almost your boxers?  There are cameras everywhere.  There are eyes and ears everywhere.  How in the known universe are you going to organize a country wide resistance without going to jail immediately?

It's absolutely lunatic to think that gun ownership has anything to do with keeping the government at bay.

Quote:
I think there's also a cultural influence there that I just don't think is fully understood...a hostility level in the states that just seems to have people closer to the breaking point than elsewhere in the world.

Yeah.  I honestly don't have a fully formed opinion on gun control.  That's why I made my point and basically bowed out.  I can't beat the logic that with no guns, there are no gun murders, but I also can't argue that places like the Netherlands and Sweden don't have any significant problems.

Once again, I think it comes down to human nature, which is my answer to almost everything.  Gun violence, if you haven't noticed, is concentrated in very poor, very crowded areas.  Our welfare system, education system, and medical system are fucked.  Any wonder there are a lot of pissed off poor people?

[EDIT: Yes.  People do get pissed off and turn to guns and religion.  Fuck you, Hillary.]

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The problem is that most of

The problem is that most of the people who want to carry around guns are like that - my friends would consider carrying one around in public dangerous and insane. And the states that are lower in gun control are seriously fucked up - they tend to be the ones that think life is scared as long as you're a fetus or brain dead, extremely religious, vote republican every year, etc.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The problem is that

Quote:
The problem is that most of the people who want to carry around guns are like that

I think I hear an argument from personal experience.  FALLACY ALERT!

Look, I live in the south, and there are a lot of gun-totin' deer huntin' rednecks with big ol' trucks.  Lots of them.  However, I'm continually surprised by the number and types of people who own guns.  I know democrats and greens and anarchists and libertarians who own guns.  I know hippies who own guns.

The thing you might be missing, Matt, is that the Good Ol' Boys are the ones who show off their guns.  Many, maybe most of the gun owners I know never mention it to anyone.  I rode with a guy twice a week for two years before I found out he had a concealed carry permit and a gun under his seat.

Admittedly, I'm arguing from personal experience, too, but I live right in the heart of the areas you're talking about, so it's worth something.  I bet if you look at some statistics, you'll find that gun ownership is much more widespread than you think.

Quote:
And the states that are lower in gun control are seriously fucked up - they tend to be the ones that think life is scared as long as you're a fetus or brain dead, extremely religious, vote republican every year, etc.

This is true, but even in the most fucked up states, 40% of the people voted democrat.  That's a lot of people who aren't as fucked up.

I'm not trying to bust your balls here.  I just think you're overgeneralizing, and it's tainting your views somewhat.  Like I said, I don't have a solid opinion on gun control.  I do know that I would favor much more stringent background checks, longer waiting periods, and complete restrictions on guns that are obviously made to kill lots of people quickly.  Outside of that, I don't know.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Department of Justice

Department of Justice Firearm stats

• According to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) in 2005, 477,040 victims of violent crimes stated that they faced an offender with a firearm.

• Incidents involving a firearm represented 9% of the 4.7 million violent crimes of rape and sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated and simple assault in 2005.

• The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms.

• ccording to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

• a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
    • a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
    • family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

• During the offense that brought them to prison, 15% of State inmates and 13% of Federal inmates carried a handgun, and about 2%, a military-style semiautomatic gun.
  • On average, State inmates possessing a firearm received sentences of 18 years, while those without a weapon had an average sentence of 12 years.
  • Among prisoners carrying a firearm during their crime, 40% of State inmates and 56% of Federal inmates received a sentence enhancement because of the firearm.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:ccording to the 1997

Quote:

ccording to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

• a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
  • a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
  • family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

That's the part that disturbs me.  Seems like it would be a good idea to crack down on the distribution of guns by illegal means.  Captain, did you see any stats about arrests and incarceration for illegal gun sales or distribution?

Books about atheism

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
America!!!!!!

Hambydammit wrote:

I wasn't going to go there, but I'm glad somebody did.  Barking mad to assume that an armed populace could or would overthrow this government.  Barking mad.

Do you realize what country you live in? Our founding fathers rallied the people to overthrow the largest empire in the world. Sure they had help, but now the odds are stacked more in our favor. Like I told MattShizzle earlier about the govt. using it's devistating weapons:

pyrokidd wrote:

possibly. but I know I, and probably many other Americans, would fight and if necessary die for my freedom. We greatly exceed the government both in number and in determination, if not technologically. The Vietcong were in a similar position, and they drove us out.

and then there's this:

Hambydammit wrote:

mean, first off, notice that our government is fucking lunatic now and 50% of the nation thinks it's pretty ok

again, remember what country you live in. People like us are still the minority here. NASCAR, I believe, is the most popular spectator sport in America. that may have changed recently, but if it has I bet it's still right up there. Most people here are inclined to trust the government. But I definitely believe we can be pushed too far.

-Carl Sagan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The VC were supported by

The VC were supported by other powerful nations (USSR and China - plus direct intervention from N Vietnam) and there were political reasons preventing us from using even all the conventional firepower we had, let alone WMD's. If the people in charge thought their power was at stake they'd use them - they could easily just say you were "terrorists" and get most of the country wanting you destroyed by any means necessary.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:. 

Hambydammit wrote:

.  Captain, did you see any stats about arrests and incarceration for illegal gun sales or distribution?

No, I'll check the ATF and FBI website for data.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think anyone here is

I don't think anyone here is advocating using guns to resolve political disagreements.  I think when people talk about revolutions, they mean that if the government were to abuse its power to the extend that the vast majority of the population felt severely oppressed, and that if it was obvious that the vast majority of the population voting against those in power was not enough to get them out of office, then the only option would be to fight, and it would probably happen spontaneously without any secret meetings or organization... sort of like a nationwide riot.  As for the people in power turning weapons of mass destruction on their own population, well... I wouldn't rule that out, but if they did they would be destroying their tax base.  Actually, now that I think about it, such a revolution might be more likely to succeed if the citizens didn't have guns, because the police/army etc. would find it harder to justify slaughtering their own countrymen if they weren't being shot at.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The VC

MattShizzle wrote:

The VC were supported by other powerful nations (USSR and China - plus direct intervention from N Vietnam) and there were political reasons preventing us from using even all the conventional firepower we had, let alone WMD's. If the people in charge thought their power was at stake they'd use them - they could easily just say you were "terrorists" and get most of the country wanting you destroyed by any means necessary.

One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. Every cause is justified to the people fighting for it. But I' not talking about a small violent minority, I'm saying if the government does something to piss of A LOT of people. enough to start riots nation wide. enough that our even our own military will probably divide. It's happened all over the world.

QuasarX wrote:

I don't think anyone here is advocating using guns to resolve political disagreements.  I think when people talk about revolutions, they mean that if the government were to abuse its power to the extend that the vast majority of the population felt severely oppressed, and that if it was obvious that the vast majority of the population voting against those in power was not enough to get them out of office, then the only option would be to fight, and it would probably happen spontaneously without any secret meetings or organization... sort of like a nationwide riot.  As for the people in power turning weapons of mass destruction on their own population, well... I wouldn't rule that out, but if they did they would be destroying their tax base.

THANK YOU. someone gets it. And it's not that I want a revolution or that I'm advocating violence. I would much rather live in a world where guns were not a necessity, but ours is not that world. And if you think I'm nutty check out this wackjob:

--"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state."

--"Every generation needs a new revolution."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html

Yep, that's Thomas Jefferson. I know there's a better one too, something about the tree of liberty being refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants, but I couldn't find it.

QuasarX wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, such a revolution might be more likely to succeed if the citizens didn't have guns, because the police/army etc. would find it harder to justify slaughtering their own countrymen if they weren't being shot at.

Now this I disagree with. they're already shooting at the majority, who do they need to justify themselves to?

-Carl Sagan

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
what about this...

And if you need an example of a situation that could spark riots....imagine trying taking all the guns away from people. You know all those good ol' boys with the assault rifles in the back of their massive trucks you fear so much? picture the cops trying to confiscate their guns after a nation-wide gun ban....

-Carl Sagan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They fire on the cops.

They fire on the cops. That's when the National Guard tanks and attack helicopters fire their HE rounds, Hellfire missile and rockets at the pickup trucks, compounds, etc. Not to mention raking them with .50 MG fire. If too many of them resist napalm and cluster munitions are dropped. CNN and other news sources report on the "Extreme right wing militias" and "Ultra-conservative domestic terrorists" etc. Power and water is shut off to entire towns - maybe counties, areas even states. All shipments of food, medical supplies or anything are blocked from entering the area. News shows repeatedly the funerals of the heroic police officers murdered by the domestic terrorists. Charges of treason and insurrection are made in the senate. Look how well the 1st civil war worked out against nearly equally armed opponents. Imagine one side armed with assault rifles, machine guns, a few rockets and mortars against the full force of the US military. Remember how much obeying the chain of command is drilled into the military - not to mention the threat of court martial for treason. It seems the majority of Americans are in favor of gun control at least to some point.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
a few things...

Firstly, I wouldn't say the civil war was by any means even. By all predictions the south should have had their asses handed to them, but when defending their homeland they did quite well. When they began marching on northern cities though...not so much.

Now keep in mind all we're really doing here is speculating, and who can possibly predict what in the world might happen. That being said...

And do you think CNN is against the constitution? I don't think they'd only report in one side. And you once again made the mistake of characterizing people with guns as right-wing-militia types. this is an issue that I think would spark many Americans to action.

And the military is definitely instilled with a sense of obeying authority. But I believe many justify this by a love for their country and fierce patriotism. When faced with an incident such as firing on their own countrymen for defending one of the rights supposedly promised to them, I picture a huge schism within the armed forces.

And keep in mind, your thoughts are not the majorities. the "rednecks" as you may call them are a massive portion of our population, the reason "intellectuals" can shake their head at Pres. Bush but he was still re-elected(however I doubt I'll ever believe he truly and legally won the 2000 election).

This is the sort of law that could most definitely spark a massive civil war in the United States. I'm predicting there would be massive casualties on both sides. All in the name of taking away guns to protect us from ourselves.

Now despite all this arguing, I'll concede that to a limited point I do favor some gun control. I don't think we should just hand some recently-paroled killer a gun. But I recognize that as a criminal, he probably has the power to get one anyway, and the only way to make myself equal is to arm myself.

-Carl Sagan

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
History

I don't think most people realize how easy it is for government's to become corrupt. FDR was elected to three terms as president and the legislative branch drafted the 22nd amendment to say that two terms is the maximum that a president can be in office(as the president). This idea to this day is still argued by some that this law should be repealed.

"Dwight D. Eisenhower expressed his strong opposition to term limits, saying, "The United States ought to be able to choose for its President anybody it wants, regardless of the number of terms he has served."[5] Ronald Reagan publicly supported repealing the amendment. Bill Clinton stated his opposition to repealing the amendment, but supported modifying it to prohibit former presidents from serving more than two consecutive terms, but permitting them to seek election after an intervening term."

Hugo Chavez called for a referundum to end presidential term limits that was ultimately defeated by a mere 51%. If you know anything about Julius Caesar he slowly aspired to power and ultimately became an emperor king de facto by subduing political opponents effectively and trying to maintain political powers through consistent bending of the rules. He had numerous different titles of consul, praetor, and dictator.(wiki)He was appointed dictator a third time, and then nominated for nine consecutive one-year terms as dictator, effectually making him dictator for ten years. Vladimir Putin of Russia is staying on as basically a shadow ruler in Russia after having hand-selecting Dmitri Medvedev as his personal puppet.

Many times democracies or republics aren't destroyed by one act, but rather a slow accumulation of powers in the hands of fewer and fewer people, with one person having supreme authority ultimately. Things such as increased authority, ending term limits, consolidating governmental power in single branches go hand and hand with this accumulation. Many times under the guise of needing "a free hand" in war times or times of unparalleled conflict and struggle, people willingly give up their rights on certain matters(like giving the President the power to declare war in Irag by himself alone). These accumulations of power tend to start dispossesing people of their rights and properties in technically legal terms(by new dictates or sometimes wholly illegal terms). In Star Wars, Senator Palpatine becomes Chancellor Palpatine becomes Emperor Palpatine, and that is a fairly routine allegory based loosely on historical incidents.

To think that the modernity we live in is somehow devoid of people that are able to aspire to seats of power, but could not subdue large democratic nations and turn them into nonrepresentative, repressive, and unconstitutional oligarchies or dictatorships is deluding oneself. The idea that this country or any country might not need weapons to protest and revolt against a government, being irreflective of the established laws created by the people of that country, is naive and outright dangerous. I am not saying that a US government using a cohesively propagandized military could not crush dissenters armed with rifles, handguns, shotguns, and a few assault rifles, but rather that history provides proof that those places who have remained unarmed in such instances are plied more readily by the changing zeitgeist, and with far more complacence.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Owning guns, and having them

Owning guns, and having them at your side all the time are different issues.  As I said before, Canada has more guns per capita than the US.  If, for whatever crazy reason, the guns were required by individuals to fight vs government they are still available.  Why do they need them on their person at all times? Why is licensing / training required to hold such weapons such a hard thing to accept?

The fanaticism around gun ownership has little or nothing to do with people actuallying thinking "i need this on me in case of a sudden need to revolt against my government" and to suggest so is simply foolish.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Really?

Tarpan wrote:

Owning guns, and having them at your side all the time are different issues.  As I said before, Canada has more guns per capita than the US.  If, for whatever crazy reason, the guns were required by individuals to fight vs government they are still available.  Why do they need them on their person at all times? Why is licensing / training required to hold such weapons such a hard thing to accept?

The fanaticism around gun ownership has little or nothing to do with people actuallying thinking "i need this on me in case of a sudden need to revolt against my government" and to suggest so is simply foolish.

I don't think anyone here has said, or thinks that the government will suddenly just take away everyone's rights overnight. Things like that don't usually happen. It is usually a gradual process, and what you have described is nothing but a straw man.

As I have stated before, I don't feel the need to carry a handgun on me at all times because I fear for my safety, or am compensating for something. Regulating(within reason), licensing, and training are ideas for handguns that I am open to. Many of these things are already in place as we speak.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

I don't think anyone here has said, or thinks that the government will suddenly just take away everyone's rights overnight. Things like that don't usually happen. It is usually a gradual process, and what you have described is nothing but a straw man.

As I have stated before, I don't feel the need to carry a handgun on me at all times because I fear for my safety, or am compensating for something. Regulating(within reason), licensing, and training are ideas for handguns that I am open to. Many of these things are already in place as we speak.

The incremental encroachment upon any targeted group could easily be illustrated by the slow punishment of smokers in the United States.  The Anti Smoking Movement was first predicated upon the complaints of airline stewardess who bemoaned the breathing of secondhand smoke upon long flights...not an altogether unreasonable request.

The ASM has now gathered an almost religious fervor and routinely favors laws telling business owner sthat their privately owned businesses must be smoke free, regardless of the wishes of the smoking customers and the business owners themselves.

BTW let free enterprise live up to its fucking name and encourage non-smokers to open up their own non smoking bars and restauarants.

The Anti Gun Movement employs the same tactics and uses  the same subtle, repeated attacks upon their target group. 

Oh yes, all their restrictive measures are billed as "common sense" measures.  Yeah, and it's "common sense" for drug dealers to kill off their competition..that doesn't make it right though.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually the anti-smoking

Actually the anti-smoking movement doesn't go nearly far enough. You can smoke at home. No need to harm everyone around you - including the employees who likely can't get another job if they're working as a waiter/waitress. How would you like if after drinking I stood on a chair and pissed all over your hair and clothes? That's almost what you're diong getting the stench from your disgusting addicitionin mine - and piss won't give you cancer. Business isn't anywhere close to regulated enough in ny way.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I did think it was kind of

I did think it was kind of funny, back on topic, when the post office announced in response to several employess having "gone postal" (a term the post office hates!) that any employee bringing a gun to work would be fired! Like they're going to worry about that if the almost certainty of being killed or spending life in prison doesn't scare them!

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Actually

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually the anti-smoking movement doesn't go nearly far enough. You can smoke at home. No need to harm everyone around you - including the employees who likely can't get another job if they're working as a waiter/waitress. How would you like if after drinking I stood on a chair and pissed all over your hair and clothes? That's almost what you're diong getting the stench from your disgusting addicitionin mine - and piss won't give you cancer. Business isn't anywhere close to regulated enough in ny way.

I am not a smoker, so I do not personally engage in that habit.  I am able to look beyond my own personal rights to the rights of others.

Are waiters and waitresses too stupid to perform other tasks ?  Are all wait staff non-smokers who complain about the "stench" or do they also smoke ?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't see smoking as a

I don't see smoking as a right. Even when something is a right, you can't take it to the point where it harms others. Obviously not all waiters and waitresses are smokers so some do have their right to not be injured/stunk up by cigarettte smoke infringed on. If someone could get another job, why would they take such a bad, low paying one?

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, and free speech should

Yeah, and free speech should be prohibited because you could offend someone. BTW, all the actual research shows exposure to second hand smoke increases your risk of cancer by such a small amount it's considered statistically irrelevant. You have gotten your facts from groups that just want it banned because they find it annoying and think it is their place to legislate our behavior, much like the Women's Christian Temperance Union did when they pushed for a nationwide ban on alcohol. And look how that turned out.

-Carl Sagan

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

The incremental encroachment upon any targeted group could easily be illustrated by the slow punishment of smokers in the United States.  The Anti Smoking Movement was first predicated upon the complaints of airline stewardess who bemoaned the breathing of secondhand smoke upon long flights...not an altogether unreasonable request.

The ASM has now gathered an almost religious fervor and routinely favors laws telling business owner sthat their privately owned businesses must be smoke free, regardless of the wishes of the smoking customers and the business owners themselves.

BTW let free enterprise live up to its fucking name and encourage non-smokers to open up their own non smoking bars and restauarants.

The Anti Gun Movement employs the same tactics and uses  the same subtle, repeated attacks upon their target group. 

Oh yes, all their restrictive measures are billed as "common sense" measures.  Yeah, and it's "common sense" for drug dealers to kill off their competition..that doesn't make it right though.

Think you both missed my point.  If, for some reason, you wanted to revolt...you gun would be at home...it doesn't need to be in your possession at all times.  And they should be accounted for, you should be licensed so you know how to use it and, maybe, even recognized as psycologically stable to posseses weapons.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok

Ok you do have one point....we've gotten carried away with the idea that we need guns only as a means of fighting a revolution. What about the people who get their concealed weapon permits and just run around with the things?

Well I know in most states you DO need some training to acquire a permit. If you don't, I would agree those laws need reform.  I think the problem is we picture people who carry guns around as people who plan on using them. This isn't true. Most people who legally carry them most definitely DO NOT EVER want to have to use them, but know that a situation may arise when they have to.

-Carl Sagan

Polaris
User is offlineOffline
"The FBI's Crime in the

"The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms"

Does murder include suicide? Here is an interesting snippet:

MYTH: Most gun deaths are caused by accidents or by crazed madmen.
FACT: More than two out of every three gun deaths are either suicides or drug-related murders.
Source: Centers For Disease Control - Deaths 1998 (625KB document!) and U.S. Department Of Justice - Bureau of Justice Statistics

Funny how only about a third of colonists were interested enough to fight in a revolution, regardless if some 2/3 were willing to live under tyranny.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a citizen of the often

As a citizen of the often maligned State of Florida which has several laws that many fear regarding guns I'd like to give you a few statistics that seem to reflect on the sanity of those with legal permits. We of course have some 500,000 citizens out of over 17 million plus carrying concealed weapons as of this year. That's one out of ever 34.  According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel in the last 20 years over 1.3 million permits have been issued. During the 20 year period there have been 165 illegal  shootings involving a permit holder. That is about 8 per year.  In 2007 there were 17271 aggravated assaults with guns and 825 homicides where a gun was used. That means for you all that are mathematical only 8 of 17271 were legal permit holders or .04632 %. Seems if people know the rules and are trained they are somewhat unlikely to use the weapon illegally.

Yes we have a stand your ground law which many have also maligned us for as well. The fear over that was Florida citizens were armed and we'd pick fights with visitors killing everyone who looked at us wrong. Now we have another new law going into effect July 1st allowing guns at work in your car. So of course now we are going to go on killing sprees at work because someone took one of our pencils from our desk.

It's amazing that discussion of guns bring out irrationality even in those that are rational in science and atheism. Perhaps we all watch too many crime dramas on TV and think those fantasies are real. As my favorite author Heinlein wrote,"Get the facts."

The facts in Florida seem to dispel that legal guns are used in wanton acts of violence on the innocent. Perhaps your opinions of gun violence in your states are due to local issues that are expounded upon by the media in their desire to spin issues for greater viewers or readers. I recommend you get the facts as you do with other issues before you come to conlusions based on emotion, just like you do in other areas.

Link to Orlando Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/columnists/

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: Think you

Tarpan wrote:

Think you both missed my point.  If, for some reason, you wanted to revolt...you gun would be at home...it doesn't need to be in your possession at all times.  And they should be accounted for, you should be licensed so you know how to use it and, maybe, even recognized as psycologically stable to posseses weapons.

Agreed, I reread that and think I did not accurately grasp your intent. It is clear now. I think that most people that I know that have conceal and carry permits have streaks of authoritarian, dominant personalities. Just a guess, no data to back this up. But I think this is more to do with personal power than with guns. That being said, freedom is the operative idea at play here. Those people that perceive anti-gun advocates wanting to reverse their traditionally revered rights will fight back hard on principle.

Having to complete a psych test to own a gun is a slippery slope, not that I want crazies roaming the streets with loaded weapons, but the implementation of this would be almost impossible.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:MYTH: Most gun deaths

Quote:

MYTH: Most gun deaths are caused by accidents or by crazed madmen.
FACT: More than two out of every three gun deaths are either suicides or drug-related murders.

Actually this is one reason I believe we should  legalize drugs. If the government can supervise them, you take them out of the shady side of the law, where all the killers are. It would also actually make them harder to get, especially for kids(dealers don't care how old you are, but the guy at the liquor store does).

-Carl Sagan

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: you should be

Tarpan wrote:

you should be licensed so you know how to use it and, maybe, even recognized as psychologically stable to posseses weapons. ( emphasis mine )

Consider this, in the US police officers commit suicide at twice the rate of the general population.

http://www.tearsofacop.com

Also, there has also been a significant increase in the number of US soldiers active in Iraq and Afghanistan who are committing suicide.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/aug/16/usa

Those who take it for granted that armed representatives of the Government are... psychologically speaking.... rock solid should question that assumption.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
interesting scenario

-Carl Sagan

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Like the religious, I can

Like the religious, I can understand what their beliefs are, but I cannot understand how anyone can hold to the beliefs.  In this way I don't think I'll ever quite wrap my head around Americans and gun ownership. 

The stricter gun laws are, the less murders there are by guns. The more difficult it is to get a license, the less guns that are allowed to exist exist.  The less guns there are, the less murders there are by guns.

I'm fairly sure there's statistical data from just about every country that will prove those correlations exist and I'm hoping that it's fairly simple to see that guns and gun deaths are in a causal relationship, so I won't spell that relationship out.  Canada, just to the North of America is a perfect example, despite the population difference and it is only one example of many.

I've seen the argument that gun ownership in America allows the people the ability to overthrow the government if it gets particularly oppressive and Orwellian.  Yeah, right.  I don't even think that that argument deserves a response it's so ludicrous.

People kill people (not guns).  Yes, but it's hard to kill someone by shouting 'bang, bang.' and I don't think stabbing deaths anywhere in the world, even in America, equal or overcome gun deaths.

Good people want to own guns to do benign things and to hunt.  Yes and excellent gun laws and licensing programs make it very safe and can be very efficient at providing gun ownership to people who would own guns for hunting and looking at.  I'm fairly sure that America's current system is, well, fucked.

Cultural differences?  In nearly three hundred years, the American specimen has developed an insatiable need to own firearms, usually for no particular purpose.  The American specimen loves its firearms and, despite the ghastly gun murder rate and the fact that the specimen rarely, if ever, intervenes on gun murders, murdering or wounding the would be murderer with their guns, they feel justified in their ownership because they might have a purpose for their firearm.  What a stunning cultural difference.

I should be ashamed if I were an American and these constituted my rationale for owning a gun.  What pathetic stupidity and disgusting irrationality.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:I've seen the

Thomathy wrote:

I've seen the argument that gun ownership in America allows the people the ability to overthrow the government if it gets particularly oppressive and Orwellian.  Yeah, right.  I don't even think that that argument deserves a response it's so ludicrous.

Yeah, this is totally ridiculous. America would never need to overthrow an oppressive government...oh shit, thats right this already happened over 200 years ago. It was called the American Revolution, not being an American, I don't know if you heard about it.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ugh.....so much to say, so

Ugh.....so much to say, so little time......

Quote:

Like the religious, I can understand what their beliefs are, but I cannot understand how anyone can hold to the beliefs.  In this way I don't think I'll ever quite wrap my head around Americans and gun ownership.

Well, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. You most definitely do not understand. I'll try to help.

Quote:

The stricter gun laws are, the less murders there are by guns. The more difficult it is to get a license, the less guns that are allowed to exist exist.  The less guns there are, the less murders there are by guns.

We've already discussed this earlier in the thread. In the future, please read up on the argument you want to refute.  You have this problem in all of your points. To summarize: it doesn't matter what law you pass regarding guns. The funny thing all criminals have in common: THEY BREAK THE LAW. They don't care what legislation you throw at them, because they've already decided it doesn't apply to them.

Quote:

Also already discussed. In detail. There have been governments since the beginning of governments that take advantage of their people, and in a modern age it would be more serious than ever. Again, please read previous postings and compose a response.

And as a "rational thinker" yourself, you should know you can't refute an argument by just claiming "it's so ludicrous".  If I had a dime for every time a theist said that about atheism with little or no actual evidence or even thought behind it, I would never need to work a day in my life. Please don't relate our argument to theism when you use evidence like that.

Quote:

I'm fairly sure that America's current system is, well, fucked.

I agree to some extent. But keep in mind, murderers don't give a damn about "the system", they'll just get their firepower elsewhere.

Quote:

Cultural differences?  In nearly three hundred years, the American specimen has developed an insatiable need to own firearms, usually for no particular purpose. 

That's your misinformed opinion. Cultural differences extend very deeply, something we've discussed. I don't understand what you mean by that question mark.  I must once again advise you to read the thread entirety(I know it's long, but you could learn something).  And reasons for ownership range from hunting to protection to freedom to crazy ol' bastards holed up in their basement waiting for WWIII. But you could never say no purpose.

Quote:

I should be ashamed if I were an American and these constituted my rationale for owning a gun.  What pathetic stupidity and disgusting irrationality.

I would be ashamed to leap into an argument with so little knowledge of the subject. I started this thread knowing there had to be someone who would disagree and had evidence at hand to support my claims. You made a classic internet mistake(I've made it myself, but learned from it) of jumping into a thread several pages in with no idea of what's really going on. I'd still love to get a response from you, but only once you're familiar with this thread's content.

-Carl Sagan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:Yeah, and

pyrokidd wrote:

Yeah, and free speech should be prohibited because you could offend someone. BTW, all the actual research shows exposure to second hand smoke increases your risk of cancer by such a small amount it's considered statistically irrelevant. You have gotten your facts from groups that just want it banned because they find it annoying and think it is their place to legislate our behavior, much like the Women's Christian Temperance Union did when they pushed for a nationwide ban on alcohol. And look how that turned out.

I call bullshit. The American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, American Medical Association and such are hardly on par with the religious zealots of the WCTU. This was real research and it seems those that deny the harm of secondhand smoke are on the same level of those who deny global warming, evolution, etc. Don't listen to "studies" sponsored by the tobacco industry. By the way, we do limit free speech that HARMS (not offends) people - the old example of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater - libel, slander, false advertising, advocating murder, etc. If you should be able to smoke in public, I should be able to piss in your face there - piss smells almost as bad as cigarette smoke and won't give you cancer.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

Unfortunately, the mere act of registering firearms is the first step in taking them away. I don't believe the government has any right to know what kind of weapons I own personally. The act that made machine guns illegal in the 1930s should have been killed because it goes against the second amendment. I do believe in responsible regulation and that certain rights come with responsibility, however that was one law that was clearly unconstitutional. The example of shouting "fire" in a movie theatre could be construed as a right to free speech, however doing so can cause personal injury. The mere ownership by a responsible individual of an automatic weapon does not fall under this catergory. The problem is that too many weapons are left unsecured and within easy access to theives and children.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Unfortunately, the mere act of registering firearms is the first step in taking them away. I don't believe the government has any right to know what kind of weapons I own personally. The act that made machine guns illegal in the 1930s should have been killed because it goes against the second amendment. I do believe in responsible regulation and that certain rights come with responsibility, however that was one law that was clearly unconstitutional. The example of shouting "fire" in a movie theatre could be construed as a right to free speech, however doing so can cause personal injury. The mere ownership by a responsible individual of an automatic weapon does not fall under this catergory. The problem is that too many weapons are left unsecured and within easy access to theives and children.

Is there a line to be drawn at all of gun ownership? Do you take the 2nd amendment's "arms" to mean anything? Tanks, machine guns, rocket launchers, short range rockets, nukes? Is there a differentiation between guns, or every means available to kill should be available through the 2nd amendment?

I am not saying you believe those things, just positing the question. To be honest, I haven't thought all that much about exactly what "arms" entails. I grew up shooting guns safely and responsibly. It was normal for me, and still is, but the statement, "I don't believe the government has any right to know what kind of weapons I own personally." seems to go over the line when you start getting into chemical, biological, nuclear, and even small range rocket propelled weapons. There is an argument to be had about the revolution due to an oppressive government and the firepower that would entail, but this is the stirring up of a hornets nest. I don't have a fixed opinion on what arms mean, and what exactly they extend to outside of handguns, shotguns, rifles etc perhaps you could enlighten us on your position for what weapons are covered under this amendment?

Looking forward to your response.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Fact is in the late 18th

Fact is in the late 18th century the only weapons were single-shot muskets/rifles/pistols - or double barrelled. I don't think they let private individuals own cannon at the time.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Is there a line to be drawn at all of gun ownership? Do you take the 2nd amendment's "arms" to mean anything? Tanks, machine guns, rocket launchers, short range rockets, nukes? Is there a differentiation between guns, or every means available to kill should be available through the 2nd amendment?

I am not saying you believe those things, just positing the question. To be honest, I haven't thought all that much about exactly what "arms" entails. I grew up shooting guns safely and responsibly. It was normal for me, and still is, but the statement, "I don't believe the government has any right to know what kind of weapons I own personally." seems to go over the line when you start getting into chemical, biological, nuclear, and even small range rocket propelled weapons. There is an argument to be had about the revolution due to an oppressive government and the firepower that would entail, but this is the stirring up of a hornets nest. I don't have a fixed opinion on what arms mean, and what exactly they extend to outside of handguns, shotguns, rifles etc perhaps you could enlighten us on your position for what weapons are covered under this amendment?

Looking forward to your response.

I am mostly refering to small arms.  I mean hey as cool as it would be to have a TOW missle I don't think it is something that is necessary to prevent a tyranical government from imposing its' will on the people.

The founding fathers would've had no clue as to what kinds of weapons we have today so the wording of the 2nd amendment would most likely refer to comparable weapons of the day. The militias used the same weapons at home and on the battlefield. If the colonists had M-4s then I believe the M-4 would be covered under the second amendment. Does this mean we should have access to ALL weapons similiar to the military or police? I don't know. Any weapon in responsible hands is not the problem. The problem always lies outside of responsible individuals.The state of California has banned the .50 BMG rifles recently citing a concern for public safety. However, there have been no known shootings cited to prompt such an asinine response.I believe that handguns (all), shotguns (all), rifles (all) and military style assualt  type weapons should be allowed here.

Any government will try to obtain as much power as it can, this is just human nature. In my opinion, an armed revolution would be pointless. Not because we could not bring down the military, but becasue there are much better ways to overthrow a despotic regime.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cali Atheist"I believe that

Cali Atheist

"I believe that handguns (all), shotguns (all), rifles (all) and military style assualt  type weapons should be allowed here."

Sounds fairly reasonable to me.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:pyrokidd

MattShizzle wrote:

I should be able to piss in your face there - piss smells almost as bad as cigarette smoke and won't give you cancer.

I wouldn't recommend pissing in someones face.  Doing so could adversely affect your health in ways second hand smoke wouldn't even approach. 

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:Cali

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

Cali Atheist

"I believe that handguns (all), shotguns (all), rifles (all) and military style assualt  type weapons should be allowed here."

Sounds fairly reasonable to me.

We basically just need enough firepower in private hands that the government knows it would lose in a revolutionary scenario. That prevents them from pissing us off in such a way that revolution is even necessary.

-Carl Sagan

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I should be able to piss in your face there - piss smells almost as bad as cigarette smoke and won't give you cancer.

I wouldn't recommend pissing in someones face.  Doing so could adversely affect your health in ways second hand smoke wouldn't even approach. 

Yeah.  I believe it smells worse, can spread diseases like gonorrhea, and makes me all wet and stains my clothes. Bad analogy.

And while I'd agree that you can't trust tobacco companies research, you can't trust anti-smoking groups either. They also have their own agenda, or are often misinformed themselves. Just look at some of those dumb anti teen-smoking commercials. They're some of the most blatant bits of propaganda I see in the world  today.

-Carl Sagan

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote: Yeah. I

pyrokidd wrote:

Yeah.  I believe it smells worse, can spread diseases like gonorrhea, and makes me all wet and stains my clothes. Bad analogy.

Actually I meant that the self-righteous pisser would likely be viciously attacked and incur injuries that made second hand smoke seem like a welcome alternative.

ps, in case you wonder what side of the issue I'm on allow me to  present my credentials,  I own one of these :  

It's a Smith and Wesson Model 500 from S&W's Performance Center ( custom features, limited production ).  It is a fifty caliber magnum which, when firing 400 grain bullets, produces the same muzzle energy as a 30.06 rifle cartridge ( ie, 2,600 foot pounds of energy )

It actually makes my S&W  44 magnum seem puny by comparison.

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not normally one to be

I'm not normally one to be impressed by technology, but DAMN. I knew you where against gun control from earlier in the thread but wow. I'm unfortunately not allowed to legally own a firearm yet, but I think I got an idea of what I want now. I'd honestly prefer not to have to use it on anyone, and that kind of gun helps because any criminal who breaks into my house and meets me holding that will 1) shit themselves 2) run away as fast as someone who's just soiled themselves can. I don't care if the cops never find them, the look on their face will be enough to assure me they aren't coming back.

-Carl Sagan

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I don't really think I will

I don't really think I will find myself in a situation in my life where I will need to fire a firearm at someone, not that it won't happen, just very unlikely

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, that's the point. The

Yeah, that's the point. The thing about carrying a gun is it increases the chance you never need it, because the fact you carry it in the first place is such a deterrent to would-be criminals.

-Carl Sagan

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How do they know who

How do they know who carries? And if they started to think more people had guns they'd probably start just shooting first and then robbing the corpse. Better if they didn't let them through the border or sell to civilians and then finding a gun was almost impossible. It works in Europe, why wouldn't it here?