CHURCH! Coming to a bar near you..?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
CHURCH! Coming to a bar near you..?

OH holy Heineken! I cannot believe to what lengths churches will go to round up members.

First United Methodist Church in Sydney, Ohio is reaching out to potential members by delivering a message at a local pub.

Apparently mechanical bull riding was encouraged as it sent a message of 'how to get along in life'.

Here is the short article

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Interesting as I had the

Interesting as I had the idea of buying a closed church and turning it into a bar with a theme of mocking religion. I have read that in the UK becuase of religion becoming much less popular a lot of churches are becoming bars!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Could be costly. You'd need

Could be costly. You'd need to drink enough to pass out before the sermon starts.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

Interesting as I had the idea of buying a closed church and turning it into a bar with a theme of mocking religion. I have read that in the UK becuase of religion becoming much less popular a lot of churches are becoming bars!

It's quite common here. It's absolutely brilliant being in there knowing that glorious hedonism has taken the place of shitty religion.

As for turning the pub into a church, I loathe the idea. I want to get drunk and not lose my mind at the same time!!

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
ha ha

Yeah you crazy americans with preachers in your bars/pubs I so do not envy you guys at this point. The one thing I know I can do is go to my local pub and drink in private knowing full well that I will not encounter a preacher trying to convert/preach to me while I am drinking.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This might be a bad idea on

This might be a bad idea on the preachers part. Can you imagine a preacher trying this shit and people like myself and a few other hardcore atheists are there drunk off our asses? The balsphemy and pwnage might make him run screaming from the place.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's bad enough when they

It's bad enough when they knock on your front door and preach, never mind hassling you at the pub. If I knew a place had that I would probably just drink elsewhere.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How many bar owners would

How many bar owners would put up with this buy the way?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I smell sitcom

I can see it now. Two buddies buy a church together with the premise of turning it into a bar, but when they buy it they figure out that it is not zoned for a pub. So they create the The Clurch of Good Ale and hold nightly "religious" services in honor of the great ale with generous donations given to the church. The local churchgoers in the area get pissed and try to shut them down, but there is nothing they can do...hilarity ensues.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda