Make God Irrelevant

ozgirl
User is offlineOffline
Make God Irrelevant

From reading many of the discussions on this board, one of the impressions that I get, is that trying to make people that believe in the supernatural and faith based ideologies admit that they are wrong, is almost impossible.

The more you provide a logical and reasonable argument the more intransigent they become. They fight back fiercely holding on to their tightly held beliefs; it is a defense mechanism kicking in to protect their identity. This is basic human instinct and very difficult to overcome.

Over the centuries this may not have been a real problem, just an interesting philosophical debate, but in the 21st century it is now urgent that we are all on the same page.

In the age of instant communication and mass media coverage 24/7, the possibility of more weak minded people becoming indoctrinated is even more apparent and yet never before has our planet needed us all to be united about our future.

Many theists trust in their Gods and assume that everything will be ok, but major climatic change is upon us, massive ecological and environmental damage has already been done. The planet is struggling to cope with the 6 billion already here, how are we going to cope with 9 billion?

I believe it is imperative that we get a message out that; “GOD is not going to come charging in to help us. We are on our own”.

If we cannot make theists disbelieve and see sense maybe we can at least get them on the same track.
Whether you believe in god or not is irrelevant, God is irrelevant in this case, we have a duty of care to this planet that overrides all belief systems and we are failing.

May be that is the conversation we should be having with the many millions of ardent theists around the world that spend hours and hours praying, hoping.

Maybe we could say, OK, believe in whatever you want to believe, but keep it to yourself, and more importantly, your first priority is now the welfare of this planet and every other living thing on it not your god.

Cheers
Ozgirl

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well it's closer to 7

Well it's closer to 7 billion people now, and world wide food shortages are going to start, the price of food and the basic needs are starting to rise in price (recent rioting in Haiti, Egypt and a few other places have been occurring over the doubling of the price of rice), fresh water is dropping (of course if we didn't pollute the water we have it wouldn't be to bad, but hey we did, our bad) but hey god has a plan for us, so lets not worry about this, it's all ok, it's in god's hand, yes people this is the rational belief that we have to follow, because after all, who else are we going to trust the evidence? scientists, you know people that actually bother to learn, study and try to solve the problems that we humans have caused? Naw lets trust our imaginary friend in the sky.

The belief and irrational thinking that some people do that have this belief, has to be removed from society, in the 21st century, it does us no good to follow beliefs, laws and morality from an era that is considered ancient history, the morals of then have no place in todays society, on the contrary most of it we find barbaric, slavery? modern society deplores it, selling your daughter as a sex slave more or less, deplorable, killing someone because they are working on the sabbath, deplorable, killing someone because they plant 2 different crops in their farm, again deplorable, yet were all fine back in ancient times, hell probably into the era that we call the dark ages (not the best of times either).

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for caring ozgirl.

Thanks for caring ozgirl.  I'm certain that more open communication like the internet, and fixing the private TV / media,  as we now have it, to a World Wide open public TV and internet is the solution to eradicating superstition and division etc. We are obviously one earth and one people. The "sheep" can learn .....

Simple honest wisdom has a profound way of being realized when presented. Who and why communication is being denied is my biggest BITCH ..... ahhhh, yes,   "Eat the Rich" is a popular wise saying. Stop the madness of run away greed ..... How rich should any one or group be ?  

Open communication is essential to a better world ..... Why do the world leaders refuse to publicly debate, for all to see? Why is the money system designed / controlled by the rich? War, what is it good for? Who is running this earth game show?  NOT WE THE PEOPLE ..... why not ?????????????????????????????

FUCKing DAMMIT     

.... yeah, as you wrote,

"I believe it is imperative that we get a message out that; “GOD is not going to come charging in to help us. We are on our own.” /////

"Man is condemned to be free"; this statement by Sartre .....

http://www.nimbinaustralia.com/zenwatt/condemnedtobefree.html

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I'm right with you ozgirl, I

I'm right with you ozgirl, I just don't see it as simplistic.  To me the fight isn't neccessarily about 'atheism'.  I don't take as hard of an anti-theist stance as some here, though I do take view secularism as a simply mandatory thing that we need on this planet.  Pushign religion back into irrelevance and unimportance is the goal for me.  It's difficult though as politics and religion cross so often and far too often secularist advancements are seen as attacks on religion.

To directly comment on god's irrelevance can be challenging as there are many many theist seccularists and you are possibly going to draw their ire as well, where as if you just make him irrelevant and not comment and focus on the issue of making thing secular you can often draw in support from various religions who prefer other religions not to have their say.

I firmly believe that there would be little to no argument about religion if all of our governments were truly secular.