So now "Expelled" has commercials too...

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
So now "Expelled" has commercials too...

Holy Shit. I was watching TV, and not five minutes ago, I just saw a disturbing commercial.

An old professor figure is standing in front of a class, lecturing about evolution, when Ben Stein (sitting in the back of the class) raises his hand and asks, "How did life get started in the first place?"

Then it cuts to a scene of Ben Stein sitting in front of the principal's office.

I almost choked on my coke. (Coke Zero, that is... not, um, cocaine)

And it was on the fucking Discovery Channel, of all channels!
(Side note on Discovery Channel though - they are more biased than a purely scientific channel should be, in my opinion. Although they produce awesome animal documentaries, some of their other programs about UFOs and the paranormal are clearly biased in favor of the people telling their stories. The reenactments that they stage of ghost encounters and similar occurences are probably exaggerated, and things are presented to make it look like ghosts are the only plausible explanation of events.)

Anyways, apparently the commercial I saw was cut from this theater trailer:

The thing I hate most about the trailer is that it presents things in a light that makes it look like scientists are persecuted for being religious, and it makes it look like "Expelled" has a valid viewpoint (which it doesn't, judging from blog reviews I've read of it).

It's coming out in a few days, and I plan to go see it - I already was planning on it, but I'm so outraged at this trailer that I'm even more determined to see it for myself. I'll probably need a gin & tonic beforehand. Maybe two. And one afterwards.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this, particularly on the way that Ben Stein is marketing the film. Anybody else as pissed as I am?

[MOD EDIT=FIXED VIDEO]

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rationalresponders

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/13584

This thread is about the same thing me thinks.

If you have to see it, don't let them get any money for it. Buy a ticket for a different movie and go into expelled  if you have to.I'm sure FSM will understand and forgive you.

Oh,and of course relgious scientists are being persecuted.Just like all relgious people right? What makes me mad is I can already see my old church and homegroup, youth etc jumping all over this movie and showing it if they can. Then all sitting around afterward with their tea and coffee stating how persecuted they are and how evolution has been proven false and it's the end times blah blah..ugh

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh wow, totally didn't see

Oh wow, totally didn't see that thread.. oops. But anyways, yeah, good point, I'm going to try to see the movie without contributing financially to "the movement."

And about religious scientists... the only way that you would be persecuted or have your career tarnished is if you tried to publish a paper proving soul or something.. you know, a Hovind-esque jumbling and inventing of scientific concepts and "facts." You deserve to  have your career destroyed if you do something that antithetical to science. Honestly, I personally know people studying to become doctors that are Christian, Muslim, etc.. and it really doesn't bother me. As long as their religious values don't compromise their integrity as a doctor, they can believe whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned. It's when you start denying blatant facts that we have a problem..

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I always compare this sort

I always compare this sort of bullshit to an astronomer who said the Earth was the center of the universe or that the sun isn't really a star, a chemist who said mixing the right chemicals can turn lead into gold, or an obstetrician who denied human reproduction as we know it and said babies are actually brought by a stork (and I'm sure if we think hard enough any of us can come up with ridiculous explanations "proving" any of these.) Obviously they would be laughed at and not taken seriously by their colleagues, as should be the case with any biologist who denies evolution.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Two_Sandals
User is offlineOffline
its actually funny when

its actually funny when creationists think they've debunked evolution by saying it doesn't explain where life began. Evolution happens after that.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed with no evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ben Stein wrote:How did

Ben Stein wrote:

How did life begin in the first place?

The Origin of Life - Made Easy

Origin of Life

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Holy

greek goddess wrote:
Holy Shit. I was watching TV, and not five minutes ago, I just saw a disturbing commercial.

All this still seems so surreal to me. People are actually buying this rock-music-in-the-background-equals-legitimacy garbage? Or rather, paying for it?

I can only hope that it polarizes the states, and the atheists come out of hiding.

(Also, you really need to address that coke problem.)

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good Post of the videos

I especially liked the first one.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:I

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

I especially liked the first one.

The Made Easy Series is frankly genius.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Don't go to it, download it

Don't go to it, download it illegally. Let's not give him any money Smiling

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
What can we do ? Who should

What can we do ? Who should we sue ? Who are the filthy rich ? Why ? What's the deal ?  ....... ? ......

There will be no peace , if the rich exist ..... so "eat" them, destroy division ....  The world is ours, not theirs ......

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't even see the point

I don't even see the point the movie is trying to address. "I lost my job!" Oh, boo-fucking-hoo. Where the Hell does anyone get the notion a teaching degree is supposed to give someone this magical sort of job security?

You're not doing a good fucking job, so welcome to the opposite edge of the two-sided blade that is a free market economy. Get some thicker skin or go find somewhere else to play.

"Some people want to keep science in this little box, where only compelling evidence counts!"

Gee whiz. What a bunch of assholes.

...It's also irksome enough that the film still apparently thinks the mad scientist motif is original, and knowing that most of the film's audience will likely fall for it.

*Sigh*

Sometimes, I wonder if the popularization of science wasn't an effort that was just doomed to fail. There are just too many idiots now among us.

Quote:
And it was on the fucking Discovery Channel, of all channels!

Well, to be fair, the Discovery Channel's content providers don't have a lot of control over what does and does not get advertised on it. That's up to the network management, who will be far more concerned with $$$ than what an advertiser is promoting.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The things that theist do

The things that theist do these days has not been bothering me lately, because in the back of my mind I know that eventually in the not so far future everyone will understand. They can kick and scream all they want but they can't stop the truth/facts.

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Who started all this"HOW

"Who started all this"

HOW many times do skeptics have to thump this idiotic archaic argument?

"Who" is not only presumptive, it assumes the specific "who" of the mind of the individual?

OK BEN? Assuming a who? Which one dumb ass? Allah, Yahwey, Ra, Vishnu?

It never occurs to these comic book lovers that the start of all this is the result of a "WHAT" not a "WHO".

Are we the result of Tom Cruise's utiopian god? Are we a result of karma? Are we living inside the universe being a giant brain?

It is not a matter of discriminating against religious people MORON!

Science should not be bastardized by being used to prop up a utopian agenda by a sectarian label, any label.

Idiots like this fail to understand that to learn things like miosis DOES NOT depend on being a Jew or Christian or Muslim. One will not burn in any version of hell of any religion if they are an outsider and learn the process of miosis.

A Jew, a Christian and atheist can all sit side by side in the same biology class and learn the same scientific processes, and NO holy book of any label of any religion is required to do so. It is sicking to me that religious people insist on trying to blend the two when all it amounts to is their needless fear of being wrong.

Science is incompatable with hocus pokus and always will be. If people want to believe that Dungeons and Dragons stuff, be it Scientology or Karma or Tarrot cards, all the scientific community wants is merely for you keep it seperate from the universal tool scientific method.

A physics lab, or forensics lab, or biology lab is going to operate on the same scientific method be it in Japan, or New York or Australia and should not be bastardized being used as tool of propaganda to support any religion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:The things that

Slimm wrote:

The things that theist do these days has not been bothering me lately, because in the back of my mind I know that eventually in the not so far future everyone will understand. They can kick and scream all they want but they can't stop the truth/facts.

Slimm,

Never underestimate the stupidity of large masses. There have been plenty of points in human history where a given culture has come close to breaking discovery wide open, only to have a religious mass run over that culture and turn back the clock. Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait a minute... WTF!?I was

Wait a minute... WTF!?

I was watching the Made Easy videos... and apparently there has evolved a strain of bacteria that fucking eats nylon! That's rather distrubing news. If the one strain continues evolving, might it not spawn bacteria that are able to consume other synthetic materials?

We're in pretty big trouble when there are metal-devouring bacteria in the world.

EDIT: ZOMG!

That animal is kick ass. Even the name is awesome - the ARCOSAUR!

Having this image dug-up inadvertantly by demanding we find a common ancestory between ducks and crocodiles is likely Kirk Cameron's greatest achievement.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Wait a

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Wait a minute... WTF!?

I was watching the Made Easy videos... and apparently there has evolved a strain of bacteria that fucking eats nylon! That's rather distrubing news. If the one strain continues evolving, might it not spawn bacteria that are able to consume other synthetic materials?

We're in pretty big trouble when there are metal-devouring bacteria in the world.

Actually, they've already developed ones that eat petroleum - to clean up oil spills - but imagine if terrorists or environmental extremists got a hold of some?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Kevin R

MattShizzle wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Wait a minute... WTF!?

Actually, they've already developed ones that eat petroleum - to clean up oil spills - but imagine if terrorists or environmental extremists got a hold of some?

That's fucked. What if some just cut loose, like the aggressive Africanized bees did, and start rotting reserves of fuel all over the place? Or what if they rapidly evolve (like most strains of bacteria do) and start eating other hydrocarbon based materials, like all of the common plastics we use?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wondered...

I have heard about things like this, and their are ton of different types of bacteria out there that can do a lot of amazing things. I am wondering if or when they will get around to designing bacteria to consume greenhouse gases and process them into possibly beneficial byproducts. That would be awesome, and I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:We're in

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Haha - there already are. So far, we're not in trouble, despite the fact that they've probably been around for hundreds of millions of years.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It never

Brian37 wrote:

It never occurs to these comic book lovers that...

Hey!

What're you tryin' to say?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Kevin R

HisWillness wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Haha - there already are. So far, we're not in trouble, despite the fact that they've probably been around for hundreds of millions of years.

Really? Why isn't, say, my PC rotting away in that case?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I always

MattShizzle wrote:

I always compare this sort of bullshit to an astronomer who said the Earth was the center of the universe or that the sun isn't really a star, a chemist who said mixing the right chemicals can turn lead into gold, or an obstetrician who denied human reproduction as we know it and said babies are actually brought by a stork (and I'm sure if we think hard enough any of us can come up with ridiculous explanations "proving" any of these.) Obviously they would be laughed at and not taken seriously by their colleagues, as should be the case with any biologist who denies evolution.

Yes. Exactly. Hits the nail on the head.

Furthermore, by denying evolution, you greatly limit your job opportunities - mostly because nobody wants to hire an idiot. (Or an IDiot.. those are the worst kind, haha.)

The more I think about it, how can you ever make it that far to the point where you have a job in the field of science yet don't believe in evolution? In the biology courses I take at college, it is impossible to pass them without a comprehensive knowledge of evolution. How are these people side-stepping this important concept, and how are they passing through school to get to the point where they even have a job to lose?

Reminds me of a "Creation vs. Evolution" debate I had with some kid on facebook. The kid was a freshman in college, and was a hardcore Creationist - dinosaurs lived with people, the earth is 6000 years old, the whole nine yards. Anyways, he was taking some sort of basic bio class at the time, and he said he laughed at the stuff he was being taught - one example was that our mitochondia are actually archaea that were endocytosed by eukaryotic cells. He was like "come on, a cell ate a bacteria?" of course disregarding the fact that it's a plausible theory, since mitochondria are the only organelles with two membranes and their own DNA. The whole time I just kept wondering what his tests for the class must have been like:

Describe the biodiversity during the Cambrian Explosion.

"There was no Cambrian explosion, the animals were all created in six days.

During which period did plants first appear?

"On the third day."

Name three homologous traits that humans have in common with other primates.

"I didn't evolve from no damn monkey!"

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:All this

HisWillness wrote:

All this still seems so surreal to me. People are actually buying this rock-music-in-the-background-equals-legitimacy garbage? Or rather, paying for it?

Unfortunately, commercials like this seem to make the US go round. I'm always thinking, "Oh come on, everybody knows McDonald's is bad for you, they're not gonna fall for this stupid ad," and then of course, I see a giant line of cars in line for the drive-thru. I'll be curious to see the effect that this marketing ploy has on the masses.

HisWillness wrote:

I can only hope that it polarizes the states, and the atheists come out of hiding.

ditto

HisWillness wrote:

(Also, you really need to address that coke problem.)

I know, I know, I've been trying to stop. I just love the rush.

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin, I was laughing

Kevin, I was laughing through your whole post

Kevin R Brown wrote:

"Some people want to keep science in this little box, where only compelling evidence counts!"

Yeah. Funny... I thought that was one of the basic tenets of science. Silly me.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Well, to be fair, the Discovery Channel's content providers don't have a lot of control over what does and does not get advertised on it. That's up to the network management, who will be far more concerned with $$$ than what an advertiser is promoting.

Yeah I know, I figured, but I still just thought it was horribly ironic.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Unfortunately,

Quote:
Unfortunately, commercials like this seem to make the US go round. I'm always thinking, "Oh come on, everybody knows McDonald's is bad for you, they're not gonna fall for this stupid ad," and then of course, I see a giant line of cars in line for the drive-thru. I'll be curious to see the effect that this marketing ploy has on the masses.

Personally, I'm unconvinced that televised ads do much for McDonalds anymore. Business is booming because of the way our economy operates. A lot of people are on tight schedules (half an hour is your standard lunch break in Canada) and tight budgets. How do you fill your gut in under half an hour for five bucks? The drive-thru at Wendy's, McDonalds, etc.

Compare this to say, France, where the culture has embraced a much more lesiurely pace to the day and far longer lunch period. People can afford the time to sit down for properly prepared food, let it settle, then get back to work. McDonalds doesn't have nearly the presence in such a culture, and the population doesn't have nearly the same problem with obesity.

...Of course, I'm starting to wonder if the 'McDonalds trend' isn't cropping-up certain evolutionary traits in newer generations of human beings that defeat the health-crippling effects of that sort of intake. I know a growing number of people who, like myself, just don't seem to be affected by high-calorie intakes. I can more or less eat whatever the Hell I want, in whatever quantities, and maintain a gross weight of around 110 or so lbs.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
TV fix it ,

TV      fix it ,  "please get pissed , please please" , said a wise man .... another said "eat the rich" ..... "one human race, one earth, said another" .....

Who owns the TV ? That is fucked up, NO MASTERS ..... Our kids future life party, is up to us ..... do you care ? Revolution ? Count me in ..... John re- recorded his song and said

..... " Destruction ? You can count me  >  IN   <  ! "

The Beatles - Revolution  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87yq372R4Ts

....  the count me IN version ,  ????  I want to hear that version again  ..... 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Really? Why isn't, say, my PC rotting away in that case?

That would require the presence of metal-eating bacteria. Why are there very few e. coli bacteria on your kitchen counter? Because (presumably) it was cleaned after a possible introduction through contaminated foodstuffs. Electronic equipment is also cleaned. If you were to introduce your computer to the metal-eating bacteria, in the case of sulfate-reducing bacteria, it would only be interested in the iron. So steel screws and components. Of course, they would release sulfuric acid, which might do damage to other parts of your computer.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

I often wonder about the masses. They seem to have so little regard for themselves.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
He reminds me of Michael

He reminds me of Michael Moore. Ugh.

http://www.expelledexposed.com/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:He reminds

peppermint wrote:

He reminds me of Michael Moore. Ugh.

You mean overly sensational and prone to completely missing the point?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Discovery channel is a

The Discovery channel is a joke - Bigfoot, UFOs, etc.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
On the other hand they still

On the other hand they still have mythbusters and SOME real science. It annoys me that not just them, but especailly the History Channel, and also the Learning Channel and PBS have to put that bullshit out. Unfortunately, pseudoscience is more profitable than actual science.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:However, while waiting

Quote:
However, while waiting in line, Myers was approached and told that the producer said he was not welcome at the theater, and must leave. His guests, however, were permitted to stay, including Dawkins. Of course, the blogosphere rolled on the floor laughing at the specter of the relatively obscure college professor from a Minnesota state college being expelled from Expelled while one of the world’s most famous evolutionary biologists – and creationist critic – entered unrecognized.

Are you fucking kidding me!?

LOL!

That's the best ever. Dawkins, you've earned yourself an honorary Jedi badge for demonstrating the ability to throw this kind of mind trick around. 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
However, while waiting in line, Myers was approached and told that the producer said he was not welcome at the theater, and must leave. His guests, however, were permitted to stay, including Dawkins. Of course, the blogosphere rolled on the floor laughing at the specter of the relatively obscure college professor from a Minnesota state college being expelled from Expelled while one of the world’s most famous evolutionary biologists – and creationist critic – entered unrecognized.

Are you fucking kidding me!?

LOL!

That's the best ever. Dawkins, you've earned yourself an honorary Jedi badge for demonstrating the ability to throw this kind of mind trick around. 

lol, thats funny. irony is killing me Laughing out loud

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:The Discovery

todangst wrote:

The Discovery channel is a joke - Bigfoot, UFOs, etc.

I've been really disappointed with Discovery lately! Isn't it true that their christian owned?

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Wait a

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Wait a minute... WTF!?

I'm waiting for bacteria to evolve that only eats on christians!

Slimm,

Quote:

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:Kevin R Brown

Slimm wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Wait a minute... WTF!?

I'm waiting for bacteria to evolve that only eats on christians!

Slimm,

would be nice, though it would be better if it ate any religious people Laughing out loud

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fanas wrote:would be nice,

Fanas wrote:

would be nice, though it would be better if it ate any religious people Laughing out loud

... in the form of a giant film of pink ooze that can only say, "Excuse me, is that a religious text in your hand?"

"Why, yes it -- AAAAH!"

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
bees

Did somebody mention insects???

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:Did

entomophila wrote:

Did somebody mention insects???

I know you'll find this terribly offensive, but I consider insects to be the second highest form of life on earth, after bacteria.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
For anyone even bothering to

For anyone even bothering to keep track, "Expelled" pulled in $1.4 million in at the box office over the opening weekend.  Compare this with a Moore film at $ 29 million each for both "Fahrenheit" and "Sicko".

It probably doesn't help that the reviews for the film have been horrible.  At Internet Movie Database it's getting a 3.3 out of a possible 10.  At Rotten Tomatoes it's getting a 9 % out of a possible 100 %, which collects all certified movie reviewers that place a review.  Two of the very few "positive" reviews come from "ChristianityToday" and some website calling itself "Comingsoon.net".  Stein has been marketing himself as an "intellectual" , for a log time now.  So much for marketing.

My favorite review comes from the New York Times, a paper that Ben contributes to.. (the business section)..Please no assumptions as to an ulterior motive for promoting religion & how this might pertain to maintaining the current status quo of economic disparity.  Our countries problems are "abortions", "gay weddings" and keeping the "Creation" story" from classed as fable where it belongs.   It's not the deep economic recession we are fading into and the fact that you can't pay your rent or mortgage.  Just so we're all clear.  Rant Over.  Here's a snippet of the review:

One of the sleaziest documentaries to arrive in a very long time, “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed” is a conspiracy-theory rant masquerading as investigative inquiry.

movies.nytimes.com/2008/04/18/movies/18expe.html

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Horton Hears a Who

I bought two tickets for Horton Hears a Who and watched this sorry excuse for a documentary. There were only about a dozen people in the theater and based on when people nodded I'm pretty sure I was the only Atheist present.

It did piss me off which is what I expected it would do. Stien's over use of Soviet propaganda film stock got real tiring. This film was made for theists. Try to keep that in mind when you watch it and it might make it a tad easier to swallow. I think our heros, especially Dawkins, did a great job of fighting off Stien's bull shit. Basically Stien bases his arguments around freedom of speech which doesn't pertain to proving or disproving scientific theories and facts. Additionally people who are not being paid to present religious material should face losing their jobs when they do. Religious lay leaders present bull shit to people stupid enough to swallow that shit. Teachers should be teaching actual facts or material that is accepted as truth or as near it as possible by people who know the material. This film might get a few people to think a little more about some of the things Stien brings up and perhaps in time leave their myths behind.  It's way too long also.

In the end, theists will see this as a call to arms. Anyone with a little intelligence will see completely through all the bull Stein.

Definitely pay to see something else though. Do NOT pay to see this Stein.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I don't even see the point the movie is trying to address. "I lost my job!" Oh, boo-fucking-hoo. Where the Hell does anyone get the notion a teaching degree is supposed to give someone this magical sort of job security?

Seems a bit like a teacher teaching astrology to his/her psychology class students (because the position of the stars when you were born affect your behavior, you know, so that's part of psychology, right?) and then wondering why s/he gets fired.

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher