Science Channel Sells Out?

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science Channel Sells Out?

I couldn't believe it when I saw a commercial from the movie Expelled(Expelledexposed) on the Science while ironically watching Walking With Prehistoric Beasts(a show about evolution in mammals and birds after the dinosaurs rule ended). I had seen a few commercials for the movie during the Daily Show/Colbert Report on Comedy Central in the last few days, but was literally shocked when I saw the Science Channel profiting off a dishonest and anti-scientific movie. I understand that everybody has to make a living, but I really wonder if any of the people that run the channel were informed by the ad people that they were going to promote a show that denies one of science's greatest discoveries. They would have to know, wouldn't they? I mean this controversy is all over mainstream news, faux news, and the blogosphere.

Has anyone seen Expelled commercials on other channels?

Do you think it is hypocritical for the Science Channel to show commercials for a movie which purports to contradict science? 

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Economics trumps a lot of

Economics trumps a lot of things.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
We don't even get a science

We don't even get a science channel so stop complaining.

On topic,ya, money transcends a lot of things. And imagine the christian uproar if they broadcast it under fiction.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't object to it

I wouldn't object to it being shown - followed by a panel discussion where it gets ripped to shreds.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It makes perfect sense.

It makes perfect sense. People who watch the science channel are into science, and all of a sudden on comes Expelled: "Science is stupid!" Well ... where are they going to get a copy of Expelled to get upset about? They'll buy it.

I honestly think that's where a lot of the book sales for the God Delusion came from, too: believers who were so incensed that they funded the movement.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: I

HisWillness wrote:

I honestly think that's where a lot of the book sales for the God Delusion came from, too: believers who were so incensed that they funded the movement.

Funny how they were so mad about it but they don't seem to have come up with any rebuttals.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Has anyone seen

Quote:
Has anyone seen Expelled commercials on other channels?

I've seen the Science Channel one, but I pretty much only watch that and Discovery and Boomerang, so I'm hardly an authority on TV.

Quote:
Do you think it is hypocritical for the Science Channel to show commercials for a movie which purports to contradict science?

Yes.  But then, I thought it was hypocritical when Public Radio started allowing Monsanto to sponsor their news reports.  I think a lot of things are hypocritical, but people gotta make a living.  Apparently Christians are the only ones who have any money.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
We don't get that channel

We don't get that channel here. Haven't seen the commercial but I hardly ever watch TV except the news and the Weather channel. What I got pissed off before was when the History Channel started having a lot of nonsense - ie almost all Jesus stuff around Christmas and Easter, UFOs , psychics, Nostradamus and other bullshit. It was almost to the point they should have changed the name to the pseudoscience channel.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:HisWillness

Loc wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Funny how they were so mad about it but they don't seem to have come up with any rebuttals.

Apologetics hasn't really come up with anything good for a while. Actually, I did see a good one - have you ever seen the diagram of laminin that's going around? I can't remember which version of the protein it is, but it's shaped just like a cross in the diagram (although almost never in reality). The apologists seem to love that one. It's a binding protein, and there's some passage about Thuh Loooord holding us all together. It's a riot.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Not anymore than the RRS is

Not anymore than the RRS is selling out by including Christian ads on the site.

Yeah, I know they come from an external company, but maybe that's the point.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fo shizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

We don't get that channel here. Haven't seen the commercial but I hardly ever watch TV except the news and the Weather channel. What I got pissed off before was when the History Channel started having a lot of nonsense - ie almost all Jesus stuff around Christmas and Easter, UFOs , psychics, Nostradamus and other bullshit. It was almost to the point they should have changed the name to the pseudoscience channel.

Yeah I watched some of the Jesus, ark of the covenant, Nostradamus, and UFO stuff and it definitely seems like some of those shows should have been put of Scifi or CBN. Although the banned books of the bible series was decent, especially all of the talk on the childhood Jesus.

As for the Science channel making money I can understand it, I would just like to know the kind of contract they make with Expelled. If they are making a significant amount more than other commercials or if it is just like a flat rate. Its not like movies of this kind get theatrical releases often, so I don't think it would necessarily hurt their business if they didn't take money from this single company. At the end of the day I understand that business is business, and that phrase is essentially a rationalization for leaving your ethics at the door when making money is concerned. I am not saying that we live in a Utopian world where science is never hypocritical and making money is solely done within the confines of ethical righteousness, but just once it would be nice to see someone take a financial hit and say we can't promote these lies on our channel because it goes against everything we believe in.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:HisWillness

Loc wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Actually there have been a number of books written in refutation of Dawkins arguments.  The Dawkin's Delusion and whatnot.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Science Channel probably

The Science Channel probably figured it was a satire or parody.  I mean its hosted by Ben Stein for crying out loud.  What possible scientific validity does he have?  Not to mention he is most known for Farris Bueller's Day Off in which his immortal line is "Bueller . . . .  Bueller . . . . Bueller".  They probably see it as a joke. 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Loc

Watcher wrote:

Loc wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Actually there have been a number of books written in refutation of Dawkins arguments.  The Dawkin's Delusion and whatnot.

They don't refute anything, mind, but they were written in rebuttal.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: They don't

jcgadfly wrote:

They don't refute anything, mind, but they were written in rebuttal.

Well I didn't read them.  However, I strongly suspect they refute Dawkin's assertion that there is no god.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

Same problem here in TORONTO,   where  are you stationed????????????

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Selling out

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Yeah, I know they come from an external company, but maybe that's the point.

No complaint from me;   Rational response must   RESPOND   to something, thiests  are free to say their  nonsense elsewise how could we respond to it,   rationally.    And they pay some bills as well,           also Brian, Kelly, Rook, etc.......

EDIT - fixed HTML nasties

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     Same

Jeffrick wrote:

Not in the military. I live in a very rural part of Southeastern Pennsylvania. Maybe if you get the digital cable you can get it, but that's over $100 a month, and I'm not Bill Gates or Donald Trump.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

Jeffrick wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
Not in the military. I live in a very rural part of Southeastern Pennsylvania. Maybe if you get the digital cable you can get it, but that's over $100 a month, and I'm not Bill Gates or Donald Trump.

I don't understand the military line. Canadas military is in Afghanistan, it just sounded like you had the same cable channel as southern Ontario.  I am realy hoping to get together with like-minded athiests in my area.

EDIT - fixed quoting

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
"Stationed" normally refers

"Stationed" normally refers to where someone is sent by the military.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

"Stationed" normally refers to where someone is sent by the military.

Sorry,  was in military, 32 years ago, that was some left over jargon, even I forgot the source..     USMC  74/75.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:We don't

MattShizzle wrote:

I agree. The steaming poo they show now usually just makes me shake my head and change the channel. Broadcast TV (meaning anything that comes in over a wire to your TV) is hardly worth watching anymore.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
More stations

I watched the Hannity and Colmes interview with Stein the other day, but I saw a commercial for expelled on Fox today. At least that is the one tv channel that I would  not consider odd if they ran a continuous loop of expelled commercials during breaks, and then referenced said topic at least once in every news segment.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Not anymore than the

Quote:

To be precise, the Science Channel, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have to let anyone advertise.  We literally have no choice if we are to use google ads.

In any case, the ads are a catch-22 for us.  We get virtually no hits on them, as you might imagine, and they take time away from the ads that would get clickthroughs.  But, if we do no google ads, we get nothing.  So it's literally a choice of getting little or nothing because we're limited to 200 blocked ads.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
We don't have a Science

We don't have a Science Channel. But religion doesn't usually sell in this country, so we rarely ever have religious adverts. We do have Channel 4 which will tend to show anything which seems controversial, from Dawkins' documentaries on The Enemies of Reason, which really shouldn't be that controversial to the recent documentary about the "lost ark" which I wrote about in this forum Sunday.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:In any

Hambydammit wrote:

In any case, the ads are a catch-22 for us.  We get virtually no hits on them, as you might imagine, and they take time away from the ads that would get clickthroughs.  But, if we do no google ads, we get nothing.  So it's literally a choice of getting little or nothing because we're limited to 200 blocked ads.

So, let me get this straight.

If I were to start clicking on the religious advertisements here, RRS would get more money. And, by clicking on the ads, the religious site to which I am directed will have to pay money to RRS (indirectly, through Google).

Is this how it works?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yep! That's why I click on

Yep! That's why I click on them every so often. Bet they don't know they're giving money to a site promoting atheism and dissing religion big time!

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Yep!

MattShizzle wrote:

Yep! That's why I click on them every so often. Bet they don't know they're giving money to a site promoting atheism and dissing religion big time!

Ooooo. This is deliciously ironic.

I too shall click.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yep! That's why I

Quote:

WHAT!?!?

Why didn't someone say something earlier!?

My mouse is going to molest those motherfuckers day and night, now!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Don't overdo it. I've read

Don't overdo it. I've read if it gets overdone (like clicking on the same link over and over) the site could lose google ads.