Those Huge Green [JESUS] Billboard Signs On Highway???

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those Huge Green [JESUS] Billboard Signs On Highway???

While looking at ugzog's thread about atheist bumper stickers it reminded me of those green jesus billboard signs that I always see on the highways here in Missouri. Then I started thinking about how it makes atheist and non-christrian theist feel when they see something like this in public. I really think someone should put up a huge green "NO GOD" billboard sign, that would really make the bible thumpers go crazy!

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Never seen one - are they

Never seen one - are they big signs that just say "Jesus?" I'd be tempted to spraypaint "sucks" or "is a myth" on them.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
They seem to be prevalent

They seem to be prevalent everywhere in the South and the Mid-West. On a recent sales trip between Orlando and Denver I saw various full size billboards especially in Kansas. They said Jesus Coming Soon. Others were What would Jesus Do.

There were many anti-abortion messages everywhere in Kansas. They are large enough you could spray paint Sucks or cross out Coming Soon and add Not!

What a waste of money. Clearly the scenery in Kansas is boring but I'd rather see Hooters billboards. Though every time I saw one I'd get pissed so they did  help keep me awake.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Slice
User is offlineOffline
Too easy.

Its true.  He told me once.

His taste is awful, though.  I don't care who he is, Reign in Blood was far better than Haunting the Chapel.

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah the billboards are

Yeah the billboards are enormous with a green background and 'JESUS' written in white capital letters letters. There should be a law against this or something, lol.

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:While looking

Slimm wrote:

While looking at ugzog's thread about atheist bumper stickers it reminded me of those green jesus billboard signs that I always see on the highways here in Missouri. Then I started thinking about how it makes atheist and non-christrian theist feel when they see something like this in public. I really think someone should put up a huge green "NO GOD" billboard sign, that would really make the bible thumpers go crazy!

I don't care about private property. Billboards are not government owned. Just because we can see them from public roads does not mean they are on public property. Public roads and highways always sit next to private property.

There is a difference between public institutions(schools, courtrooms, police stations, state and national congressional buildings) and private businesses.

Of course I disagree with selling superstition, but I also disagree with feeding your kid sugar loaded cereal every day, but it is NOT illegal to sell either or advertise either.

It only bothers me that Christians not only have the same access to these billboards, but they want exclusive rights to gang tag government property and symbols too. The private sector is not good enough for them.

I am not against the free market. WE can use it too if atheists organize enough.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slimm wrote:Yeah the

Slimm wrote:

Yeah the billboards are enormous with a green background and 'JESUS' written in white capital letters letters. There should be a law against this or something, lol.

Slimm,

You are not going to convince an atheist to become a Christian by using government to silence atheists from using private sector advertising, so what makes you think silencing a Christian from advertising on a privately owned billboard is going to convince them that they believe in a superstition?

Instead of sounding like a fascist, I suggest atheists organize and use the same private sector free market, like they do. We have enough numbers to compete, and we can.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The problem is the Billboard

The problem is the Billboard companies may be owned by Christians or afraid of "offending the community." The FFRF puts up beware of dogma and imagine no religion billboards. One in Chambersburg PA got pulled by the company and replaced with 2 - one saying they completely disagree with the previous one and one asking "Why do Atheists hate America?" This isn't a joke. I am against the "Free Market" because it doesn't work except for those who already have the power - and Christians have a lot more money and power than us.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The

MattShizzle wrote:

The problem is the Billboard companies may be owned by Christians or afraid of "offending the community." The FFRF puts up beware of dogma and imagine no religion billboards. One in Chambersburg PA got pulled by the company and replaced with 2 - one saying they completely disagree with the previous one and one asking "Why do Atheists hate America?" This isn't a joke. I am against the "Free Market" because it doesn't work except for those who already have the power - and Christians have a lot more money and power than us.

So? Women couldn't vote at one time because the majority of white men had all the money and power. AND IT WAS THE CHRISTIAN RUN GOVERNMENT opressing them.

I would rather compete than allow the majority of Christian law makers decide what a "fair market" is. Do you think MORE regulations will favor atheists? NO, more regulations will favor CHRISTIANS.

If we want our voice heard WE have to compete. Minorities have done so before and succeeded in the free market and we can too.

Do you think the companies who print Dawkins or Hitchens or Harris are forced to print their books? Or do you think it is because those authors have something the publishing companies want? Those authors are competing successfully and I don't see why atheists in any other venture, cant either.

I love alot of what you say, but this is where you are dead wrong. It is bad enough that Christians have the money and the power, but in the private sector there is always a shot to compete. You distroy that oportunity for us by allowing CHRISTIAN POLITICIANS deciding what can or cannot be advertised, THEY ARE THE MAJORITY, like you said, and do you think the CHRISTIAN LAWMAKERS, if they have their say, are going to go out of their way to protect us? OR do you think they will protect Christians.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot with your "good intent". The free market is far when YOU COMPETE. If you don't then you have nothing to complain about. You can sit there and let them do it to you, or you can raise your own voice. But as soon as you allow bias lawmakers make ideological decisions about who gets to say what, the majority is going to protect itself, NOT YOU, so the only fair thing is to tell OUR lawmakers not to chose sides and let US in the private sector compete.

Do you really want lawmakers deciding who gets to say what? How easy would it be for a Christian lawmaker  to ban atheists from buying billboard space and put it under the guise of "hate speech".

We are outnumbered, RIGHT NOW, and our path is long, certainly. BUT, I also know because of the free market, ABC was not banned from having IG on Wife Swap. BECAUSE OF THE FREE MARKET, ABC had Nightline do a story on the "BLASPHEMY CHALLENGE".

We have used it and this website alone is a result of the free market. If there was no free market, THE CHRISTIANS IN GOVERNMENT would use government to silence US, not them.

I think of where atheists were 7 short years ago, and because of the free market, how much we have exploded today into being on the raidar. WE ARE SUCEEDING, and the last thing we should do is take away the only tool that garuntees that government cannot give CHRISTIANS a monopoly, and that is THE FREE MARKET. You take the free market away, and we would be the first targets for opression because we are NOT in the majority.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slice wrote:Its true.  He

Slice wrote:

His taste is awful, though.  I don't care who he is, Reign in Blood was far better than Haunting the Chapel.

Immature and whomever did that should be arrested for vandalism and be forced to pay restitution and do community service.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me add Matt, I am not

Let me add Matt, I am not saying there are not things that could be done better in the free market, I am just against scrapping it all together.

Penn Jillette is a millionaire, and has on  his show "Bullshit" which is widely popular, criticized Mother Taresa.  Bill Maher is a millionair and criticizes religion all the time on his show "Real Time". Do you think that the majority of CHRISTIAN lawmakers, if they could control advertisement and media content are going to be "fair" to non-Christians, especially atheists?

And exactly how did Penn and Bill make their money as atheists? Was it because of lawmakers? Or was it because they competed in the free market?

I do agree that that the rich are becoming increasingly greedy, NOT ALL RICH PEOPLE, just mega corperations. But complaining about an income gap between the richest of the rich, and the poorest of the poor, should not involve allowing government to play thought police by medeling with private media content.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Just wanted to point

Quote:

Just wanted to point out I just noticed the little red sign saying 'any time' for the first time. So now its, god listens, any time, to slayer. Thought it was funny..

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
They have the right to spew

They have the right to spew their bullshit just like we have the right to tell them it's bullshit, so just see in a humorous way. God is so powerful he needs to enlist the help of billboards on interstate highways to convert his beloved children. I guess children's menus at McDonald's are next. Oh you silly god.

What we need to do is put up atheist billboards. That'd be sweet.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint

These comments remind me of a great joke.         Charleton Heston is in heaven,   St.Peter escourts him into an eatery, it looks like a local mall's food court, Heston is sitting alone and looks around;    Socrates is sitting with Plato, Di Vinci is sitting with Dali, Jimmy Swaggart is sitting with Marilyn Monroe, Marlin Perkins is sitting with Steve Erwin,,,,  etc.......     After awhile St.Peter scourts Heston's companion for life-here-after,  it's Louis Leaky.    "Hey wait a minute", says Heston, "I played  a HUMAN in a monkey movie,  why do I get Louis Leaky when Jimmy Swaggart gets Merilyn Monroe?"

"Now now Mr.Heston", says St.Peter,   "Miss Monroe's punishment is not your concern."

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep...

peppermint wrote:

They have the right to spew their bullshit just like we have the right to tell them it's bullshit, so just see in a humorous way. God is so powerful he needs to enlist the help of billboards on interstate highways to convert his beloved children. I guess children's menus at McDonald's are next. Oh you silly god.

What we need to do is put up atheist billboards. That'd be sweet.

It's been done...

http://friendlyatheist.com/2007/10/01/atheist-billboard-in-madison-wisconsin/

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
However...

This would be a GREAT project for the RRS... take donations to place a billboard with an appropriate message (contest time!) in a major city.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

He is. (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Those who use many words.....

Those who use many words to justify their rejection of God out of thier lives now, will have nothing to say on that terrible day that is coming....I know, I know, you're not scared, you're not worried, you are so brave and courageous and you think you will always be that way and that nothing can scare you.

You're wrong.

Nuf said.

Oh, one more thing, meaninlessness does not come from a life filled with pain, meaninglessness comes from a life filled with pleasure.

And that is one very important reason why so many in America today are so terribly unhappy today.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
*THAT* was the douchey-ist

*THAT* was the douchey-ist post I have ever read...

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pretentious condescending

Pretentious condescending nonsense. The trinity of drive-by theists.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:#

I could find a lot of meaning in a life full of pleasure.

Namely, pleasure.

:3

Besides, no one ever said pain couldn't be pleasure too.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
He is.

He is. wrote:

....meaninglessness comes from a life filled with pleasure.

Apparently, after you die, to make your eternal existence meaningful you should reject the pleasure of Heaven and ask God to send you to Hell instead ?  Okay, got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
He is. wrote:Those who

He is. wrote:
Those who use many words to justify their rejection of God out of thier lives now, will have nothing to say on that terrible day that is coming....I know, I know, you're not scared, you're not worried, you are so brave and courageous and you think you will always be that way and that nothing can scare you.

You're wrong.

Nuf said.

OK mister drive by: What are you going to say when “that terrible day” comes and you find out that it was Mumbo Jumbo God of the Congo all along?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

He is. wrote:

....meaninglessness comes from a life filled with pleasure.

Apparently, after you die, to make your eternal existence meaningful you should reject the pleasure of Heaven and ask God to send you to Hell instead ?  Okay, got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ouch. A statement of that magnitude could break one of their poor little heads. Careful with that.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Wut (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
And what kind of jackass god

And what kind of jackass god would ask you to waste your life in suffering in order to prove yourself to him? You try to sell us on this shit of a "loving god" and then in the same breath tell us that your god requires us to lead a life of suffering. Furthermore, you rejoice in the idea that the people on this board will one day be banished to eternal suffering so you can be proven right. What a sick, ugly fuck you are. And you wonder why atheists/agnostics/etc think most Christians are batshit crazy.

You don't even realize how fucking ridiculous and contradicting your bullshit is.

I just came here to find out what the bullshit was behind these stupid signs that are all over town.

Luckily, as I found this, my friend found this which explains the BS: http://www.jesusnameproject.org/about/index.html

These asshats should be truly contributing to society if they want to help people. Donate to soup kitchens and shelters. Not put up stupid billboards that help no one.

My idea for atheists? Do what these people aren't doing. Donate to helping those in need in the name of humans helping ourselves and not waiting for a god to save us all.

AtheistHearthrob
AtheistHearthrob's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slice wrote:Its true.  He

Slice wrote:

This will make you happy  Smiling We got it in Dallas a few months ago!