Why don't topics purge?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Why don't topics purge?

The topics on the last page are over 2 years old, so why not purge topics? It will free up space.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
U know ya

someone is going to cry foul that their topic was deleted and if it is someone against the RRS then they will bitch cry that they have been censored, etc, etc, etc.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That might be a good idea to

That might be a good idea to purge anything that hasn't had replies in a year (excepting any stickies and anything they particularly want to keep.) Might help save bandwidth and keep "the slows" from returning. They did purge trollville a while back. And when they changed the website a few threads were accidentally purged.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose if things get too

I suppose if things get too huge, it might be a good idea to archive old posts, but I don't think anyone is ponying up the money for another server to hold the archive.

It's true about people bitching about censorship, though.  I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if we could easily demonstrate that it was a time stamp, not an author, thing.

I'll mention it to the tech boys.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well we don't necessarily

Well we don't necessarily need to keep the archived posts on a server.  We could keep them on an external harddrive and could bring back old threads on request.

A 500 Gigabyte external harddrive is going for $130 bucks right now at BestBuy.  Wait a year and you could get a Terrabyte drive for that price.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess that's an option,

I guess that's an option, but then the theists would bitch that we were changing posts while they were offline.  I was thinking of a way to keep the site humming while letting people have access to the archives if they wanted.

Honestly, I don't care if they bitch about old posts getting purged.  As long as it's just thread topics, and not book pages/ blogs, etc, I think it would be fine.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't see the censorship

I don't see the censorship issue, considering the topics are over a year old, and some are by people I don't see and doubt they still go here.

I have no idea what kind of 'cut off date' is the best, but it was just a suggestion.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
      No No , don't be

No No , don't be pulling a Council of Hippo and Carthage on my RRS Bible ! 

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
I agree with the archive

I agree with the archive idea.  Most sites i go to archive after 2 years or after upgrading they archive all the only threads, and let you start out fresh...