Freeing Tibet

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Freeing Tibet

It says something about how shitty the Chinese government is if people would actually want a theocracy instead. Even peaceful theocracies peacefully suck at administering health care. If Tibet really were "freed", what would stop the Indian, Nepalese and Burmese governments from deciding to claim some land?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Tibet was a very brutal

Tibet was a very brutal theocracy before the Chinese took over.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Tibet was

MattShizzle wrote:

That's what I've read. I mean, if you go into the 18th century. But then there was the whole British invasion thing, and India and China fighting over some parts. The thing I don't get is the protests in democracies. It turns out one of the protests was like a mini-Kristallnacht, with Tibetans trashing and looting Han Chinese stores, etc. This from the few foreign people there to report, not the Chinese.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's kind of ironic that the

It's kind of ironic that the Chinese occupation did have a liberalising effect. However this does not excuse the invasion, the occupation or the continued oppression of Tibetans by the Chinese government. I think it is important to support the people of Tibet free themselves but not support the Dalai Lama or the monastic regimes. I'm very much pro-Tibet in some respects but for the people, not the old powers that were overthrown in 1951.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tibet

Yes it is true that the idea of a constantly reincarnating person who gets to rule a theocracy through the title of Dalai Lama is quite irrational. Though the Dalai Lama does seem to be a pretty rational person sometimes, the system of governance in Tibet basically amounts to divine rule by birth similar to a monarchy. That being said, China did pretty much screw them over by invading and occupying them for the last half century. I think that Tibet should definitely be free to be its own autonomous sovereign nation, but when it comes to world affairs, might is right, and founding your theocracy on principles of nonviolence does not seem to be a quick and effective way to winning your revolution against tyranny.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Tibet was

MattShizzle wrote:

brutality in itself doesn't necessarily make a regime unpopular with the people.  the old tibetan regime may have been brutal, and the chinese are certainly brutal, but there is one key difference: the chinese are not tibetans, and the majority of the tibetan people desire the dalai lama's return.

it's too western a viewpoint to see only a dichotomy between theocracy and secular government in this case.  never mind the fact that it's problematic to call buddhism, even with the shamanistic tibetan stamp, "theistic" to begin with": to see what the dalai lama represents as merely "theocracy" is to completely fail to take into account what the dalai lama represents for the tibetan people, and that is tibetan identity.

east asian culture is historically very conservative and protective of its traditions.  for example, it is well known that by 1945 the united states could have had the surrender of japan without either a prolonged pacific campaign or dropping atomic bombs, if they had simply agreed not to depose the emperor, whom the japanese considered sacrosanct.  this concession would have cost the US absolutely nothing, yet they refused, and thus caused untold suffering.  why, with the japanese traditionally being a pragmatic and syncretistic people, did they insist on this one condition?  not for reasons of religion, the institution of the emperor predating buddhism and perhaps even shinto, but because under all the western clothes and the western military, the emperor represented the immutable identity of japan.

the dalai lama is something similar for tibet, though not completely the same.  it is true that his role is more overtly religious than the role of the japanese emperor.  however, he also represents, in a single person, the protest of the tibetan people against foreign occupiers, and their continued existence as a distinct people.

if we in the west truly believe all our high-flown oratory about national and popular sovereignty, the people's right to self-determination, etc., then we must admit to ourselves that, were a referendum held today, it would unquestionably be the will of the tibetan people for tibet to be a sovereign state with the dalai lama as its titular head, perhaps in the same way as the ayatollahs are in iran.

if this is indeed the will of the people, then we in the west, as long we identify ourselves as democratic, cannot without being labeled as hypocrites oppose any revolution to make the will of the tibetan people a reality, even if it be a violent one.   if in its place a brutal theocracy is established, as long as the tibetan people desire it to exist, it will exist, and no foreign nation will have a right to interfere.  when they no longer desire it to exist, let them dispose of it, but once again, no foreign nation will have a right to interfere.  bleeding hearts can make a mao or a george w. bush just as easily as greed or prejudice.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:if we in the

iwbiek wrote:

if we in the west truly believe all our high-flown oratory about national and popular sovereignty, the people's right to self-determination, etc.,...

Of course we truly believe that.

And so, we must invade.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:iwbiek

nigelTheBold wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

if we in the west truly believe all our high-flown oratory about national and popular sovereignty, the people's right to self-determination, etc.,...

And so, we must invade.

absolutely not.  that's why i was very careful to say "we shouldn't OPPOSE a revolution," rather than "we should SUPPORT," as well as mentioning several times that no outside country has any right to interfere, no matter what the circumstances.  and even when i say "shouldn't oppose" i pretty much just mean "shouldn't talk shit in the world media about tibet and say they have no right to be independent."  until tibet establishes a sovereign nation, this is an internal affair of the sovereign nation of china, and must remain so.  if tibet does establish a sovereign nation, it will of course have all rights to make treaties and alliances with any other nations if its independence is ever threatened again.

now, i'm not an absolutist in any sense, and a nation's "sovereignty" is not a sacred, inviolable principle any more than any other.  but, from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, violating a nation's sovereignty got us into the shit storms of korea, vietnam, and iraq, none of which ever accomplished anything.  thus, speaking purely in scientific terms, it is highly probable that violating china's sovereignty would get us into yet another useless shit storm--scientifically speaking. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jubal
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:nigelTheBold

iwbiek wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

And so, we must invade.

but, from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, violating a nation's sovereignty got us into the shit storms of korea, vietnam, and iraq, none of which ever accomplished anything.

I think the people of South Korea would disagree with you.

Being open-minded isn't the same thing as being vacant.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jubal wrote:iwbiek

Jubal wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

And so, we must invade.

but, from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, violating a nation's sovereignty got us into the shit storms of korea, vietnam, and iraq, none of which ever accomplished anything.

really?  because i actually talked to a guy from seoul once and he thinks the way the western capitalist stooges in seoul conscript labor from the south korean countryside is despicable, and in a way worse than anything kim jong-il does, because at least kim jong-il doesn't give you the illusion you're in a "free country."  the world bank and corporate america are nothing more than the negative image of the comintern.  just how many times have you opened the newspaper and read about some fat billionaire south korean businessman who's facing imbezzlement charges?  where do you think all that money came from?  the sky?  it came from the sweat of korean villagers, same as all of kim jong-il's money.

besides, just what do you think the US accomplished in korea?  anyone who's read beyond the public high school textbook bullshit version of the conflict knows that the cease-fire had nothing to do with the might and right of the great US military machine.  who were the americans fighting?  i got news for you: most of those troops weren't north korean but chinese.  the reason the conflict ended was because troubles at home forced mao to stop starving the chinese people to pour money into backing, or rather overlording, kim il-sung and negotiate the cease-fire.  need i remind you there was no victory. 

we didn't "save" the south koreans.  internal conflicts within the chinese communist party did.  had we not gotten involved, mao never would've gotten involved, and kim il-sung's revolution may never have triumphed, since it is well known that mao used the korean conflict to draw the US into an indirect military engagement with china and thus justify to the international community china's acceleration into a military superpower.  i suggest reading "mao: the unknown story" by jung chang and jon halliday.

--Hunter S. Thompson

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Jubal wrote:I

iwbiek wrote:

Jubal wrote:

really?  because i actually talked to a guy from seoul once and he thinks the way the western capitalist stooges in seoul conscript labor from the south korean countryside is despicable, and in a way worse than anything kim jong-il does, because at least kim jong-il doesn't give you the illusion you're in a "free country."  the world bank is nothing more than the negative image of the comintern.

That's sort of the difficulty I was presenting originally. The western world really doesn't get asian culture. And when I say "asian culture", I mean all of asia. There's a big philosophical divide. So when people say "Free Tibet" or "South Korea is a democracy", the words make sense, they just don't mean the same things.

Not that it's unusual for people to oversimplify, it's just difficult discussing it with people who assume the Dalai Lama would bring peace and everyone would live in happy land if Tibet were somehow "freed".

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:iwbiek

HisWillness wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Jubal wrote:

really?  because i actually talked to a guy from seoul once and he thinks the way the western capitalist stooges in seoul conscript labor from the south korean countryside is despicable, and in a way worse than anything kim jong-il does, because at least kim jong-il doesn't give you the illusion you're in a "free country."  the world bank is nothing more than the negative image of the comintern.

That's sort of the difficulty I was presenting originally. The western world really doesn't get asian culture. And when I say "asian culture", I mean all of asia. There's a big philosophical divide. So when people say "Free Tibet" or "South Korea is a democracy", the words make sense, they just don't mean the same things.

Not that it's unusual for people to oversimplify, it's just difficult discussing it with people who assume the Dalai Lama would bring peace and everyone would live in happy land if Tibet were somehow "freed".

you're right there, will.  what people in the west don't get is that asians, and particularly east asians, are very communally oriented.  they don't see the point in liberal individualism and even before mao et al. they valued the subordination of the individual to the good of the community.  the dalai lama very well might not bring "peace" in the liberal democratic idealist sense (freedom of speech, the press, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, the nra, hallelujah...) but he will signify the return of the tibetan identity, which is what the tibetan community desires. 

--Hunter S. Thompson

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:iwbiek

nigelTheBold wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

And so, we must invade.

I dunno, are there any important natural resources to be tapped in Tibet? I guess its the same reason the US hasn't invaded Zimbabwe yet. Hmm, Saddam Hussein ran a brutal regime that oppressed his people he had to be invaded and executed and have American style democracy forced upon his country. Robert Mugabe runs a brutal regime that oppresses his people, he should be overthrown and tried for war crimes, and his country actually wants democracy. The difference is, no oil.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:hey don't see the

Quote:

hey don't see the point in liberal individualism and even before mao et al. they valued the subordination of the individual to the good of the community.

Pure garbage. It's not to say that in Asian culture, community is not to be valued, but your generalizations are frankly absurd. I've lived in Asia for 11 years, I still do, been to every country in Asia except for North Korea and Burma, speak two Asian languages (Mandarin Chinese and Japanese), and would be unable to truthfully say "Here, in Asia, they don't see the point of individualism" . The dichotomy "Westerns favor individual liberalism, Asians favor communalism" is precisely the stereotypical understanding present in the West! Hence you've shot yourself in the foot. By virtue of thinking that you somehow "get" something, you've fallen into precisely the Western stereotyping you've just belated! Irony...

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:you've

deludedgod wrote:

you've fallen into precisely the Western stereotyping you've just belated!

I'm sure you meant "berated", which frankly makes the funniest Fleudian srip EVER.

But seriously, thanks for weighing in. I was hoping you would. Can you give us an idea of how the Chinese media are spinning Tibet? Here, it seems to me like the media are treating China like a celebrity with an eating disorder. "Oooooh, look, China just put on 30 pounds! She's not going to look good in a bikini for the Olympics!"

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:hey

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

hey don't see the point in liberal individualism and even before mao et al. they valued the subordination of the individual to the good of the community.

Pure garbage. It's not to say that in Asian culture, community is not to be valued, but your generalizations are frankly absurd. I've lived in Asia for 11 years, I still do, been to every country in Asia except for North Korea and Burma, speak two Asian languages (Mandarin Chinese and Japanese), and would be unable to truthfully say "Here, in Asia, they don't see the point of individualism" . The dichotomy "Westerns favor individual liberalism, Asians favor communalism" is precisely the stereotypical understanding present in the West! Hence you've shot yourself in the foot. By virtue of thinking that you somehow "get" something, you've fallen into precisely the Western stereotyping you've just belated! Irony...

wow.  if you want to argue something, that's fine, but i don't need argument plus asshole attitude, thanks.

i don't pretend to "get" asian culture.  a., if you look CLOSELY at the thread, you'll see i was trying to back up will, not arguing that i "get" anything, b., i clearly didn't say "individualism" but "liberal individualism," i.e. the american/western european view that the individual's rights should be inviolable, and c., the only reason i said this was because i've read it in the writings of east asian authors, among them daisetz suzuki and, i'm fairly certain, jung chang (one of the co-authors of the new mao biography/exposee), so why not go tell them they've "shot themselves in the foot"?

and of course it's a generalization.  show me a historian or ethnographer who doesn't generalize.  if they didn't generalize, every history book would be ten fucking thousand pages long.

congratulations on your linguistic achievements.  i speak slovak, have been to almost every central and eastern european country, and have lived in slovakia for four years, but if you ever want to make a "generalization" about the czechs or slovaks, you're welcome.  i might disagree, but i won't be a smartass.

--Hunter S. Thompson

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Can you give us an

Quote:

Can you give us an idea of how the Chinese media are spinning Tibet?

The state media in China is being very blunt. They are only making reference to the "Tibetan sepaterists" in the reports. As far as I can see, the state media is adopting a "It is inapproriate to use the Olympics as a springboard for political agendas" attitude. As far me, I genuinely couldn't care less. I've been to Tibet. The place is so damned cold, so high up, so hard to breathe in, so malnourished, so miserable. The people don't eat fish due to absurd religious restriction that they are severely malnourished because it is the only food source. As such, they make everything from yak, which is not nourishing, or very good to eat. Hence, they have a very high infant mortality rate, coupled with a short lifespan due to the physiological affects of living at high altitude. To put the point at it's crudest, Tibet is a miserable place. I can't see why anyone would live there is the first place, let alone why the Chinese would care about it (or anyone else, for that matter). Frankly, the whole business is irrelevant. WIth current demographic trends, the Tibeten ethnicity will be replaced by Han Chinese completely in about 50 years. Curious. The torch will be here, in Hong Kong, quite soon. I don't get the sense (and this is obviously a very subjective and vague belief) that people really care about Tibet, I think they just enjoy pissing Beijing off, so expect a large protest.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism