An argument I had with another atheist

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
An argument I had with another atheist

So I had this argument with an atheist where he said that somebodyhad proved using modal logic that theism is coherent, I didn't understand what that meant since I do not understand modal logic, and that therefore he is no longer be considered irrational for their belief in God and since they have experienced God is names that they can rationally say that God exists.

What I said is that that seems ludicrous because what if I say that I have experienced a unicorn, does this mean I can rationally say that unicorns exist? he replied that I would only be one person and I guess rationality in numbers. 

We also talked about this weird thing that theists base their beliefs off of the fact that God exists. which also seemed absurd to me, I don't think most theists have as a premise for each of their beliefs God is real.

What does everyone think of these arguments?

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
The logic they are using is

The logic they are using is probably one of them sneeky things.  Kind of like the pic seen below. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To put that in

To put that in perspective, a friend of mine can consistently use modal logic to prove that he does not have "a head". A theist getting to "there is a God" is pretty easy, since all you have to do is make up the rules of the game first, and arrive at the conclusion you want.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
This one is good

This one is good too

Cochran wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! […] Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

oddly its not all that different then theists actual defense's.

daedalus
daedalus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oddly, it does have the same

Oddly, it does have the same exact structure as the "you can't comprehend God" argument.  I'd like to know, how they know you can't comprehend God if you can't comprehend God....

Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.
Isaac Asimov