What are you most controversial opinions

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
What are you most controversial opinions

I am in the mood to vent. I have opinions that I can't talk openly about at work and in my conservative area, would get beat up for discussing since this is a place where advocating using nuclear weapons against Mecca is not all the controversial.

- As an atheist and a bright, simply admitting that I do not believe in god is deeply offensive to some people, particularly ones whose religious beliefs indicate that everyone should be converted to their religion. The planet as a whole would be better off without religion, especially Islam and Christianity.

- I am a white person and I agree whole-heartly with Kanye West when he said George Bush doesn't care about Black people and all the things he said leading up to that. For five days George Bush did absolutely nothing to help the victims of Katrina, he remained on vacation, even going out to play guitar with some celebrity for a photo op. After the city went to total chaos he ordered the national guard to shoot those looters, meanwhile white families caught up in the disaster were said to be "finding" supplies. We know George Bush doesn't care about black people because we he finally got off his ass to do something, he CONGRATULATED the man responsible for hundreds of dead and dying people in New Orleans as doing a "heck of a job."

- George Bush stole the election by illegally disenfranchising black voters with a list of "felons" that had an absurd number of false positives because the criteria for being on the list was being the same race, and having the same name as a felon. Only we can't talk about this because bringing up this historical fact labels us conspiracy theorists despite being well documented.

-There are dozens of crimes committed by the Bush administration that should warrant impeachment and all of them alone are far worse than cheating on your wife with a fat Jewish intern in the oval office. Republicans are massive hypocrites and Democrats are tiny cowards for not impeaching this fuck head. Bush's overwhelming incompetence is proof that 9-11 was not planned by him or anyone working for him since the towers actually fell.

-George Bush is a liar. His administration lied about weapons of mass destruction. They went by intelligence that they knew was false because they had been wanting to conquer Iraq and its oil for years. Even now the future oil revenue is being divided up amongst the oil corporations and is going to be used not for the benefit of Iraqis but for the benefit of George Bush's friends.

-Our use of depleted uranium is a war crime and I hold the pentagon responsible for every birth defect that happens in Iraq. Someone needs to give shaking the evil out of the pentagon another try.

-Hilary Clinton and other democrats were not deceived by Bush, they voted for the war knowing he was full of shit but were to cowardly to call Bush out on his lies, which is pretty much the same reason they voted for the patriot act.

-Crack Cocaine was intentionally let into this country by the CIA under Regan because we had alliances to maintain with right wing drug lords. The fact that it devastated the black community was convenient source of revenue and labor for the increasingly privatized prisons that tend to support the right wing

-Reagan was a miserable excuse for a president and it is a pity that he didn't spend his last days homeless and alone like the thousands of mentally ill people he threw out on the street to build more bombs, or die penniless and broken like the black single mothers he vilified, or die in a blazing inferno or from chemical burns that would cover 100% of his body like the children of Iran killed by weapons he supplied to Iraq.

-The longest running failure of policy is the war on (some) drugs but no one, once elected, has the courage to admit the nakedness of the king and do something to stop it. DEA agents and the police in general have become increasingly militarized because kicking down doors like jack booted fascists is pretty much the only way to enforce drug laws. The war on drugs had racists motivations as an excuse to lock up Mexicans and Asians, served as a useful tool to lock up young critics of the Vietnam war who had also expanded their minds by experimenting with altering the consciousness, and continues to be used as a weapon against minorities.  Blacks account for 15% of the users of pot and about 80% of arrests, and the children of the wealthy are given far more lenient sentences in the criminal justice system.

-Sodomy and Fornication are healthy natural and normal and it is ludicrous to think that we can stop teen pregnancy by teaching only abstanence. We also should teach tolerance of homosexuality and sex ed should cover issues relevant to gay sex.

- I do not pledge allegiance to the flag, the united states, or the god it is under.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

illeatyourdog wrote:

Quote:
Nay, Dogs of War

The Christepher Walken action vehicle?

More specifically, the front left shock-absorber

(and yes, i googled to see if such a thing existed first >.> )

The Christepher Walken film or a front left shock absorber?

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote:The

illeatyourdog wrote:

The Christepher Walken film or a front left shock absorber?

The action vehicle -_-

What Would Kharn Do?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:The

The Doomed Soul wrote:

The action vehicle -_-

You doubt my cinmatic trivia knowledge?  TO be honest I almost said "Canadian werewolf horror picture" since I was confusing Dogs of War with Dog Soldiers.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote:The

illeatyourdog wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

The action vehicle -_-

You doubt my cinmatic trivia knowledge?  TO be honest I almost said "Canadian werewolf horror picture" since I was confusing Dogs of War with Dog Soldiers.

Yes i do doubt your cinmatic trivia knowledge as well as your spelling (especially since the vehicle doesnt exist)

Which means im the evolutionary offspring of an ancient machine that doesnt exist... sorry of my life -_-

Suggesting "Rocky Horror Picture Show" would have spawned much more comedy ;-p

What Would Kharn Do?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: Yes

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Yes i do doubt your cinmatic trivia knowledge as well as your spelling (especially since the vehicle doesnt exist)

Oh really? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080641/ . . . 

Quote:
Which means im the evolutionary offspring of an ancient machine that doesnt exist... sorry of my life -_-

Suggesting "Rocky Horror Picture Show" would have spawned much more comedy ;-p

If only I liked that overrated costume epicrap.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most controversial opinions

Most controversial opinions eh?

1) I am smarter than everyone.

2) All of you are simply here to attest to that fact in some way.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yellow5's true intelligence

Yellow5's true intelligence can be measured solely by his ability to correctly use an internet forum...

(and no cheating!... deleting inferiority is artificial evolution! ^_^ )

What Would Kharn Do?

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
My newest controversial

My newest controversial opinion:

I LOVE LAMP. Let the religious fundamentalists say what they will, it was meant to be and we ARE getting married. I didn't choose to be this way. It's how I was born. Come to think of it though, there's nothing in the bible like

"thou shalt not lie with thine household appliance as thou would lie with a woman, for it is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord"

so there's really no religious reason to deny me of my love. The buybull-wavers just want to hate on me because I'm different.....

time for me to sleep before I start writing something REALLY weird.......

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

I guess I'm failing at 2) becuase, well, youre a dumbass. Eye-wink

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

I guess I'm failing at 2) becuase, well, youre a dumbass. Eye-wink

QED.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I AM THE BEST .... I just

I AM THE BEST .... I just know it ....   you are all shit ....  

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
If YOU ARE then I AM. HA!

If YOU ARE then I AM. HA!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah , "the truth and

Yeah , "the truth and nothing but the truth" .... I wish George Carlin would post here at RRS .... well, he is with us in spirit anyhow ....

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, controversial

well, controversial opinions...i gotta bag full, but here's a sampling:

1. if i were in charge of a country, personal automobiles would be outlawed except in extreme circumstances and an extensive public transportation system would be established.  two or three cars to every household is just plain wasteful, especially since we all know how well car pool lanes are controlled.  i share this opinion with fidel castro.

2. children should work unless disabled.  i think child labor laws go way too far.  if a kid is strong enough to lift a nintendo controller, a kid is strong enough to run a factory machine or hoe a row of potatoes.  i think there should always be strict laws against labor exploitation, of children and adults, but child labor laws in general?  come on.  kids only need to be in a classroom four months out of the year maximum.  we all know half the shit we learned in school could have been compressed into a much shorter time period.  the rest should be hands-on education in industry or agriculture.  giving allowances is bullshit.

3. the two-party system in america is a fucking joke.  the democrats and republicans both support the laissez-faire capitalist, neoliberal globalization, economic imperialist agenda, which will always maintain the status quo.  all the shit they "differ" on--abortion, taxes, environmentalism, the war in iraq--is a fucking farce to lull idiots into thinking they have a choice.  the only solution to this problem is violent revolution.

4. neoliberal globalization, perpetrated by the USA, NATO, etc., if left unchecked, will lead to a worldwide depression similar to, and probably worse than, the depression of the '20s and '30s.

5. america's days as a superpower are waining.  next in line are the EU, china, and quite possibly india.  i hope they do a better job.   

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:2. children

iwbiek wrote:

2. children should work unless disabled.  i think child labor laws go way too far.  if a kid is strong enough to lift a nintendo controller, a kid is strong enough to run a factory machine or hoe a row of potatoes.  i think there should always be strict laws against labor exploitation, of children and adults, but child labor laws in general?  come on.  kids only need to be in a classroom four months out of the year maximum.  we all know half the shit we learned in school could have been compressed into a much shorter time period.  the rest should be hands-on education in industry or agriculture.  giving allowances is bullshit.

This got me thinking.How much of the 12 year educaion is really needed? Given that we'll forget something like 80% of it by time we graduate,I'm sure they could trim the ciruculum a bit. Alternatively, cut down on holiday length. Sure the little bastards will complain,but they'll get out of school sooner too. Like I found when I left school and started working, getting just a week off is something to be grateful for. I'm not sure how it works in America,don't they get the whole summer off? Seriously,wtf?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:iwbiek wrote:2.

Loc wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

This got me thinking.How much of the 12 year educaion is really needed? Given that we'll forget something like 80% of it by time we graduate,I'm sure they could trim the ciruculum a bit. Alternatively, cut down on holiday length. Sure the little bastards will complain,but they'll get out of school sooner too. Like I found when I left school and started working, getting just a week off is something to be grateful for. I'm not sure how it works in America,don't they get the whole summer off? Seriously,wtf?

it varies from state to state and district to district but yes, most public school systems retain a 2 or 3-month summer vacation.  it traces back to our agrarian roots and was once very necessary, as every hand was needed for planting and maintaining crops.  most of our breaks, actually, correspond not only with some sort of holiday, e.g. thanksgiving or christmas, but also to a crucial point in the agricultural cycle.  when my father wasn't in school, he was generally in the fields.  when he did have free time, he usually went fishing or hunting.  all are useful, healthy activities.  they actually enjoyed farm work at times, as it was a way of bringing family and friends together.  i think kids would only complain today because of what they've been conditioned to expect.  in another couple generations, that might not be a problem.

this break is no longer necessary, at least not for small-time agriculture, but i still think half or more of every year should be outside the classroom.  classroom education could cover mathematics, science, and the humanities, but cover them in a very concise way.  most of the things that our dumbfuck public schoolteachers teach us in three weeks could easily be taught in one or two afternoons.  the rest of the time could be spent in programs of public school systems partnering with businesses and trades: factories, farms, grocery stores, retail stores, restaurants, anything.  maybe every year of school, each class could be rotated through different jobs.  the same students could stay together throughout their school careers like they do now, and thus each student would really get to know what their best at, and companies would easily be able to see, based on which students consistently and naturally took on administrative and organizational roles, who to recruit for managerial positions.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:MattShizzle

darth_josh wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Why Reagan sucked

1. All but trying to start WWIII

2. Classifying Ketchup as a fucking vegetable in school lunches

3. Union busting the air traffic controllers - still a major shortage of them

4. Increasing the national debt more than any other president ever

5. Cutting programs so homelessness skyrocketed

6. Falling asleep during important meetings

7. Overspending on the military while letting everything else go downhill

8. Letting S & L people and other capitalist swine wreck the economy while they made a fortune.

This is by no means a complete list. Remember I was 15 when he left office so there's a lot I forget.

9. Iran-Contra

10. Bush Sr. as vice president

11. Named Scalia to court.

12. Believing there were "good terrorists" and "bad terrorists." The Contras and Bin Laden's buddies were who he thought of as "good terrorists."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:I AM

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I AM THE BEST .... I just know it ....   you are all shit ....  

actually i am.  sorry igod.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Ummm .... please please

Ummm .... please please prove it Shelley my Joy, please.   I'll let you win   

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:12.

MattShizzle wrote:

12. Believing there were "good terrorists" and "bad terrorists." The Contras and Bin Laden's buddies were who he thought of as "good terrorists."

If one where to blow up a research facility used by tobacco companies, which I know you don't like, would you condemn that in your heart or only in your words?

I think one of my more controversial opinions is that there are acceptable causes for guerilla tactics and so called "terrorism". To middle eastern insurgents, we are the terrorist threat. I think there are "freedom fighters" separate from "terrorists".

Thoughts?

-Carl Sagan

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote: If one

pyrokidd wrote:

If one where to blow up a research facility used by tobacco companies, which I know you don't like, would you condemn that in your heart or only in your words?

I know this wasn't directed at me but I rarely condemn destruction.  A case of destruction I condemn is the butchered version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in Moulin Rouge and Willy Wonka's Choclate Factory (the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). 

Quote:
I think one of my more controversial opinions is that there are acceptable causes for guerilla tactics and so called "terrorism".Thoughts?

Wasn't our independence won through guerilla tactics?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a controversial

Here is a controversial opinion . . . Sarah Jessica Parker DOESN'T look like a horse.  She looks more like an ant eater.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Isn't achieving independence

Isn't achieving independence getting past our stupidity. Has any war ever been something to be proud of ?  Universal Higher Consciousness means never war, never greed, ..... etc.  All is One, all is shared.  Kill what ?  ..... Kill stupidity ! HOW ? 

kaab
User is offlineOffline
Thank Jesus....

that all of you communist morons are spouting your nonsense on the internet and not actually out in the real world doing anything.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
And the real world is

And the real world is ??????????????????????

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
kaab wrote:that all of you

kaab wrote:

that all of you communist morons are spouting your nonsense on the internet and not actually out in the real world doing anything.

and just how do you know that?

i think all us communist morons try to do our part.  as for me, now that i live in europe i buy cuban rum and cigars whenever i can.  viva fidel!  just make a cheaper rum, please, comandante...

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:MattShizzle

pyrokidd wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I think one of my more controversial opinions is that there are acceptable causes for guerilla tactics and so called "terrorism". To middle eastern insurgents, we are the terrorist threat. I think there are "freedom fighters" separate from "terrorists".

Thoughts?

i think you are absolutely right, but then again, i don't list my occupation as "trotskyite" on my profile just for laughs.

the sandinistas in nicaragua, jose marti and the war for cuban independence, castro's cuban revolution, the vietnamese liberation, toussaint louverture and the haitian revolution, the angolan guerillas against the south african army, etc., etc.: all just revolutions that never could have been won without irregular warfare.

trying to win a revolution "democratically" is playing with the empire on its own terms because it uses its metaphysical, universalist bullshit about "democratic principles," as if they fell out of god's asshole, to guilt trip you into believing it's wrong to stand up for yourself with bullets.  it's like asking an enraged crocodile to please stop eating you, despite having a hunting knife within reach.  i have always wholeheartedly agreed with jefferson's idea that, for a country to be truly free, there should be a violent revolution every 30 years or so.

oh, and one more controversial opinion: i like robespierre. 

--Hunter S. Thompson

imthinking
User is offlineOffline
Animal Rights

1. I don't believe animals have any rights. Only humans have rights in a human world.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
imthinking wrote:1. I don't

imthinking wrote:

1. I don't believe animals have any rights. Only humans have rights in a human world.

honestly, i don't believe in "rights" at all.  at least, not until they're defended.

--Hunter S. Thompson

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Has

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Has any war ever been something to be proud of ?  

Genghis Kahn was pretty badass.  Took over 90% of Asian.  Makes the Great Alexander look like the kinda good Alexander.  And Emperor Huangg Di Qin ended the Warring States through conquering all the smaller states through warfare.  He had the shortest Dynasty in the history of China (just shy of 30 years) but it wasn't his fault that his successors were incompetent rulers.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
imthinking wrote:1. I don't

imthinking wrote:

Humans aren't animals?  We somehow transcended our evolutionary history to become something other than mere bipedal primates? 

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think certain hotly

I think certain hotly contested "holy lands" marked by decades of savage warfare coming from either side should be rendered inhospitable by United Nations Peacekeepers or otherwise quarantined form the rest of the world, if we could only build a giant dome capable of absorbing even a nuclear explosion.

I don't believe in any form of nationalism or patriotism. I think professional societies of experts such as the American Association of Physical Anthropologists and the World Health Organization should be in control of a vast world government.

I am politically a Technocrat: I believe the decision-makers of any society must the highest skilled in the fields concerning their expertise: scientists would make science education policy, medical doctors would make medical policy, the global infrastructure would be placed under the auspices of the Labor and Trade Unions and Social Engineers. Academic credit would eventually supplement money for individuals deemed vital to the operation of a global technocratic civilization (such as laborers, intelligentsia). Neither the Laborers nor the Intelligentsia would be  marginalized or ghettoized or exploited anymore.

Prostitution and Marijuana should be legal and the only restrictions of gun ownership that should exist would be those that prevent minors from acquiring them and punish illegal gun ownership without coming down hard on the legal gun owners.

Schools should be somewhat Platonian. I'm not saying remove a child entirely from its parents (unless they're physically, psychologically, or intellectually abusive), but schools should be intellectual boot camps from kindergarten onward, and the upper schools- high school and college and grad school, especially- should be the recruiting grounds for world leadership.

People should have to work for a living, but there should be adequate safety networks. Self improvement should be a social value, and linked with professional and technical education. Adults should be encouraged to continue to take night classes, which could be offered for free or for very little money, well into their careers.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Triumvirate

I also think the US and other countries should get rid of their Presidential Offices and institute a Triumvirate of the Secretary of Defense, the Attorney General, and the Secretary of State, all of whom would be elected on their own merit, instead of being appointed by a president. They would have to agree unanimously on everything to act as one body.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
FulltimeDefendent

FulltimeDefendent wrote:

Schools should be somewhat Platonian. I'm not saying remove a child entirely from its parents (unless they're physically, psychologically, or intellectually abusive), but schools should be intellectual boot camps from kindergarten onward, and the upper schools- high school and college and grad school, especially- should be the recruiting grounds for world leadership.

Will these also train children to be soldiers?

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a beautiful pipe

That's a beautiful pipe dream. The problem is, just like with all societies when written out, you don't take human behavior into full account. In theory, capitalism, communism, monarchies, they all work. But then you actually apply the system in real life and so far we can see people will continue to go against what was so clear on paper.

Your system still creates an aristocracy. Granted it's supposed to be based on intelligence and merit rather than family ties and who your friends are, but it's incredibly open to corruption.  It's an Inner-Party like structure from 1984. And you're suggesting that most people outside the decision-making class will just be happy taking orders because the system tells them the decision makers are smarter and know better. People, at least most people, need autonomy beyond what your system allows for.

Plus if you institute a Platonian school system for everyone, you're decomposing your system from within. Platonian schools are excellent for making someone intelligent as an individual, but individual thoughts breed dissent, especially on a global scale. That's why you don't see them much these days, it's not compatible with the system.

Basically all governments are torn between stability/safety or freedom. The most stable and safe system is one in which people are so incredibly oppressed or altered that changing things or even wanting to is beyond them, like in 1984 or Brave New World. The most free society is actually a lack of society, or total anarchy.

Your system tries to give great amounts of both freedom and intellectual development while also maintaining stability. These are incompatible goals.

-Carl Sagan

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
pyrokidd wrote:That's a

pyrokidd wrote:

That's a beautiful pipe dream. The problem is, just like with all societies when written out, you don't take human behavior into full account. In theory, capitalism, communism, monarchies, they all work. But then you actually apply the system in real life and so far we can see people will continue to go against what was so clear on paper.

how does monarchy work "in theory"?  since when is there a unified "theory" of monarchy?  monarchy is usually based on metaphysical ideas that have no basis in the real world. 

"capitalism" is not a system of government but a self-running system of economics based on concentrating surplus wealth in the hands of capitalists at the expense of labor, which, as marx was the first really to demonstrate, is bought and sold as a commodity.  it "works" as long as the proletariat allows it to work, though it doesn't work smoothly.  "communism" is the ideology of marxism, the state of being to which socialist revolution, on an international scale, will bring humanity. 

a person's behavior is shaped by his or her material needs.  these needs are fulfilled in economy.  capitalism was a natural and inevitable stage of human history arising from the decay of feudalism.  capitalism created the class struggle and socialism is the natural outcome of the class struggle.  human behavior has nothing to do with "ruining" socialism or any other social system, as if socialism or communism was handed down metaphysically from the sky and man soiled it with his dirty hands!  human behavior is shaped by supply and demand and these work by scientific laws like anything else.  so long as there are the contradictions of surplus wealth and a reserve labor force, resulting in the frictions between proletariat, petty bourgeoisie, and great bourgeoisie, not to mention the superpowers and the third world, the prognosis of socialism is as inevitable as the sun burning out.

the attempt of the soviet union to build "socialism in one country" (not a marxist concept, btw) may have failed, but observe the rise of the european and canadian social state, public school systems, increasing anti-trust legislation: the whole world, of its own collective accord, is moving beyond laissez-faire.  it may happen gradually in some places, but it will happen.  it won't look a thing like stalinism, either.

pyrokidd wrote:

Your system tries to give great amounts of both freedom and intellectual development while also maintaining stability. These are incompatible goals.

freedom is not a goal.  freedom is a subjective, metaphysical concept that is used by reactionaries to stir up emotions and patriotic sentiments in the petty bourgeoisie and the proletariat.  freedom for the capitalist is to be able to hide behind slogans and cliches in order to beguile the workers from ever developing class-consciousness, whilst consciously keeping production well under capability, thus maintaining the reserve labor force, keeping the price of labor low, and pocketing the surplus wealth.  freedom for the laborer is to own the means of production, doing away with both surplus wealth and the reserve labor force.  or to quote marx's "critique of the gotha program," "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

--Hunter S. Thompson

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Disjointed ideas ahead...sorry but I'm in a hurry

Ok, I'll give you one thing for sure. "Freedom" is basically a bullshit term. But most people do have a need for autonomy, or a decision made within themselves that they can then act upon. I don't think communism would work because you must consider the group before yourself. While people are social animals that do usually place the group as an important priority, people are also ultimately selfish. In fact I believe even the most selfless acts of charity are, in fact, self-motivated, even if the only reward is an emotional one.

Humans aren't socially compatible with communism because it requires conformity and a common goal. People just generally suck in these areas. Now, like all theories on anything, my views on people could be wrong. With all our advances in technology and science, maybe we'll discover a great common goal that everyone agrees we should work towards. This is unlikely, but it would give people a reason to work together peacefully and autonomously.

Quote:

human behavior has nothing to do with "ruining" socialism or any other social system, as if socialism or communism was handed down metaphysically from the sky and man soiled it with his dirty hands!

I meant people create these ideas idealistically, and people have a way of not fitting in to them. For instance, American capitalism and democracy on paper creates a very agreeable system. People have the ability to advance through the social classes, everyone is created equal, etc. But in practice people are greedy, taking what's not theirs to further their status(this is everyone from petty thieves to international corporate giants). People often do not have the same rights/privileges  as everyone else.

The point is human behavior is unpredictable for anyone trying to plan out how things will work in any society.

The only way to "correct" this is to modify what it means to be human. That's why I'm more in favor of anarchy than communism, it's basically the way we're "meant" to be. People never evolved to live in huge cities or under massive, especially world-wide, governments. We are psychologically evolved to find food, shelter and mates, and everything else is superfluous ( I had to find an excuse to use that word).

-Carl Sagan

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
Not as minors, no.

Not as minors, no.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
We'll realistically never

We'll realistically never get rid of aristocracy. I'd much rather have the high quality aristocracy I can get.

I understand that there is a conflict between stability and freedom. It's not going to be solved in my lifetime unless somehow we develop inexhaustible energy supply, and I'm against too much permissiveness. I'd hate to live in the kind of post-industrial society where people are permitted to do nothing productive all day, even if theoretically they don't have to.

Proper Gander
Proper Gander's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. Patriotism is fucked up.

1. Patriotism is fucked up. I mean, really fucked up. Loving your country no matter what is both naive and dangerous, and it's pissing me off. The country should love ME, it's citizen, no matter what. I should only approve of my country if it serves me and my fellow citizens well.

2. Politicians who make promises that they don't hold when elected, should be discharged immediately and put in jail without a trial, and a new election be held. I can see two possible outcomes of this: either all politicians will quickly go to jail, or we'll actually get what we're voting for as a change.

3. Voting should be a privilige, not a right. You should have to take a course so that you know everything you need to know to make an informed decision.

4. YECs should be shot on the spot. We need to drop in population, and dumb fucks who will only breed even more dumb fucks just seem like the perfect candidates to be dropped.

5. Everything that want me to put a leash on my dog should have to have someone walk around with itself in a leash everytime it leaves it's house. Yes, it - not he or she, it.

6. Everyone buying into the whole "Japanese = ancient wisdom" crap should be cut down with a rhomphaia. Oh, and anyone living in the west who knows what a katana is but has never even heard of a rhomphaia, and/or think that the katana is somehow special, should be sent to a labour camp to read about history day in and day out until they become like history robots, or alternatively be sent on a kamikaze attack against Japan.

6.5 I hate Japanese anime series (or whatever) like Dragonball, if anyone's read that. What I'm talking about is how firearms are made into absolute worthless crap, while swords (typically aforementioned katana) and bloody punches are like atom bombs.

7. People who put other people in danger through second hand smoke should be forced to have unprotected sex with someone who has HIV. Who stinks.

8. Rich people can't be trusted. Unless kept under control, they'll fuck you over as soon as they see a benefit and an opportunity.

9. Göran Persson, the former leader of our social democratic party, and our former Prime Minister here in Sweden, was actually a right wing spy, placed there to breed contempt and dissent against the social democratic party (which proved a successfull tactic, unfortunately). If we're lucky, the debt we'll get this time around won't be as big as the one we got last time the moderates where in charge, and we won't make this same mistake for at least another 15 years or so. Hoping for more than that would just be dreaming.

At least the moderates have once again been exposed as the liars and cheats they really are (and when I say that I'm not even referring to my own mentioned theory).

"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy."

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proper Gander wrote:6.

Proper Gander wrote:

6. Everyone buying into the whole "Japanese = ancient wisdom" crap should be cut down with a rhomphaia. Oh, and anyone living in the west who knows what a katana is but has never even heard of a rhomphaia, and/or think that the katana is somehow special, should be sent to a labour camp to read about history day in and day out until they become like history robots, or alternatively be sent on a kamikaze attack against Japan.

rhomphaias suck.  falxes are the shit.  even sir richard burton says, in the book of the sword, that cutting is more natural than thrusting.  that's why i always preferred saber to foil or epee.

anybody who talks about swords without having read burton's book should be beaten with a shillelagh, my weapon of choice when all's said and done.  either that or a good ol' armor-piercing mace.

--Hunter S. Thompson

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
User is offlineOffline
H L Mencken

Controversial Opinion: H. L. Mencken was probably right about everything he ever said.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:how does

iwbiek wrote:

how does monarchy work "in theory"?  since when is there a unified "theory" of monarchy?  monarchy is usually based on metaphysical ideas that have no basis in the real world. 

All utopian Monarchy ideas presuppose a wise and compassionate ruler.  In fact, there are many instances in Rome and China in which the Empire being ruled by a reasonable ruler allowed for the Empire and people to flourish.  The main problem with a Monarchy, however, is the fact that people die regardless of how reasonable and great they are and their sons will fight over the empire when the Wise Ruler dies.  So yes, in theory, Monarchies work.  You just have to ignore that fact that people die and intellignece and wisdom does not transfer genetically. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:swords without

iwbiek wrote:

swords without having read burton's book should be beaten with a shillelagh, my weapon of choice when all's said and done.  either that or a good ol' armor-piercing mace.

I'll just not talk about swords then I guess.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proper Gander wrote:6.

Proper Gander wrote:

If you know what Kamikazi means and the history behind the word Kamikazi I might take what you have to say on Japanese knowledge seriously.  However, you are perfectly fine with "Chinese Wisdom=ancient wisdom"?  Or perhaps you believe that the Thracians have a monopoly on ancient wisdom because they know how to swing a heavy blade really hard.

Quote:
6.5 I hate Japanese anime series (or whatever) like Dragonball, if anyone's read that. What I'm talking about is how firearms are made into absolute worthless crap, while swords (typically aforementioned katana) and bloody punches are like atom bombs.

So logic dictates that this scene must give you a pistolgasm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAdiU5IalP4

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: anybody who

iwbiek wrote:

anybody who talks about swords without having read burton's book should be beaten with a shillelagh, my weapon of choice when all's said and done.  either that or a good ol' armor-piercing mace.

I'm too lazy to swing a mace and if I need to pierce any armor I much prefer to use one of these ....

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I'm too lazy to swing a mace and if I need to pierce any armor I much prefer to use one of these ....

Is that full-auto or just semi?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a semiautomatic. Full

It's a semiautomatic (  ).  Full auto's are fun to shoot but on my meager income I can't justify the expense of purchasing an actual full auto rifle, going through the legal requirements, etc.  Besides, I can still shoot my friend's full autos.  I even got to shoot a 100 round belt of ammo through a German MG 34 GPMG.  That's f**king awesome !!!