Worst Invention?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Worst Invention?

Sorry for all the new threads here today, but right now I am really, really fed up with religion today. Would you agree religion is the worst thing humans ever invented? I would. I would say even worse than weapons of mass destruction - since without religion these weapons would be much less likely to be used.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is number two,

Religion is number two, right behind car alarms. No seriously, I often wonder if religion is secondary in creating the world's conflicts. It seems to me that most of our conflicts arise for competition for resources. Religion is just a good tool for recruiting people to fight.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:Religion

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Religion is number two, right behind car alarms. No seriously, I often wonder if religion is secondary in creating the world's conflicts. It seems to me that most of our conflicts arise for competition for resources. Religion is just a good tool for recruiting people to fight.

omfg, you've just given me the best idea ever.  I'm going to be rich, richer than Hubbard or the Vatican!  I'm going to start a religion that worships car alarms!!! Laughing out loud

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:omfg, you've

thingy wrote:
omfg, you've just given me the best idea ever.  I'm going to be rich, richer than Hubbard or the Vatican!  I'm going to start a religion that worships car alarms!!! Laughing out loud

Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuugh!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Top 10 Worst Inventions.

Top 10 Worst Inventions.

10- Car Alarms that go off for no apparent reason

9- Toll Booths ( I live in Florida has to be included)

8 – Kings or Royalty

7- Direct Frontal Assault by opposing armies

6 – War in general

5- Prophets & Shamans

4- Loud Bass Speakers in vehicles

3- U.S. Presidential Electoral College

2- Religion

1- Belief in a god

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
2. No alcohol beer1.

2. No alcohol beer

1. Religion

Laughing out loud

magilum
User is offlineOffline
* Corporate Personhood* The

* Corporate Personhood

* The South Dakota-based credit industry

* Scripture

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Definitely the worst

Definitely the worst invention ever. Also the greatest con of all time.

Pallas
Pallas's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:Definitely

ronin-dog wrote:

Definitely the worst invention ever. Also the greatest con of all time.

agreed.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  The greatest invention

The greatest invention ever , Love at first sight ! 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I have to be a science

Ok, I have to be a science geek for a minute, and then I'll play nice.  Before we discovered how to discover things, religion was probably the thing that made one tribe better organized than another tribe, which probably had a very important part to play in the development of civilization.  Having said that, there are neo-primitivists out there who would say that modern civilization is a bad thing, so religion still is the worst thing man has invented.

All that aside, the fact that religion continues to convince people to do really stupid things today is really awful.

Having said that, we're probably going to multiply ourselves to death, and religion has been awfully good at reducing the surplus population...

Ok... in all seriousness, as far as things that exist in all cultures that man has invented, I think religion has to be near the top of the shit-heap, but I'm going to go with blind ideology as a bigger thing than that.  If people didn't believe things based on ideology rather than fact, we wouldn't have communism, fascism, religion, or Sylvia Browne.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism