Well at least some one got charged

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well at least some one got charged

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/01/usa.religion

Well look at that, a someone being charged with manslaughter, for causing the death of a toddler because they decided prayer was far better than modern medicine. FINALLY some good news from these types of murders. Maybe, just maybe they might smarten up....naw.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hallelujah!

Finally these people don't get a pass on their child abuse for reasons of "religious conviction."

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
About time! How many

About time! How many children have to die before christian parents realise there might actually be something to that evil science stuff? Since talking to the ceiling doesn't seem to be helping much.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Creucent
Creucent's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a very tiny amount of

I have a very tiny amount of begrudging respect for that kind of crazy person. Every day you hear religious folks spouting off about the "power of prayer". They get sick, or their kid gets sick, but they still go see the doctor and then credit the medicine or procedures working to their chosen deity. At least these idiots put their money where their mouth is and rely on their awesome power of talking to themselves. I only wish it was them getting sick and dying rather than their poor, innocent kids. Sad

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I have a very tiny

Quote:
I have a very tiny amount of begrudging respect for that kind of crazy person.

I'm torn about this.  Part of me believes that if fundamentalists would just act more fundamentalist that everybody would wise up and see that fundamentalism is bat shit crazy.  Then, I remember how popular Islam is...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Creucent wrote:I have a very

Double post

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Creucent wrote:I have a very

Creucent wrote:

I actually agree.As crazy as it sounds, in a odd way I prefer fundies sometimes. Just because I was one, I get annoyed when christians say the bible isn't literal or there's no fiery hell. Buy everything in the religion or nothing. That said, I don't actually want everyone to be fundie.This made more sense in my head.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
On one hand I feel bad for

On one hand I feel bad for the poor kids

But on the other natural selection at work.  Speaking of natural selection http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPq2zyslyw

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
parents pray/daughter dies

latincanuck wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/01/usa.religion

Well look at that, a someone being charged with manslaughter, for causing the death of a toddler because they decided prayer was far better than modern medicine. FINALLY some good news from these types of murders. Maybe, just maybe they might smarten up....naw.

>>>

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080330/COL01/803300620/1082

If the parents had just prayed harder (or louder) maybe their god would have heard.  Oh yea, that's right, their god is supposed to be omnicient and omnipresent.  So, one could assume, their god didn't care or that the child was supposed to die no matter what.

Huh...that makes just about as much sense to me as praying to the great skygod.

>>>

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

Creucent
Creucent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I get annoyed when

Loc wrote:

I get annoyed when christians say the bible isn't literal or there's no fiery hell. Buy everything in the religion or nothing. That said, I don't actually want everyone to be fundie.This made more sense in my head.

Oddly enough, my dad just told me the other day that he doesn't actually believe in a devil, but he believes there is bad stuff out there trying to get us. Which, to me, almost sounds crazier than the fundies. At least the fundies (usually) know the Bible pretty well and agree with it, even the horrible, evil parts. While fundamentalists are great examples of why Christianity doesn't belong in the modern world, I totally agree that we have enough fundies already. Anymore and I'll be knocking on Richard Dawkins door asking for sanctuary :x

Corporeal
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Creucent wrote:I

Loc wrote:

Creucent wrote:

I actually agree.As crazy as it sounds, in a odd way I prefer fundies sometimes. Just because I was one, I get annoyed when christians say the bible isn't literal or there's no fiery hell. Buy everything in the religion or nothing. That said, I don't actually want everyone to be fundie.This made more sense in my head.

Actually hell, if it existed, probably wouldn't be firey much less warm. Since it's described as a place completely cut off from God it's better assumed that it's a realm devoid of energy. This used to be the popular belief in Christianity which is why if you read The Inferno hell is described as getting colder up to the point of being frozen over once you get in view of Satan. It was only during the Great Awakening that the view of hell as a place of raging fire became popular (because preachers knew that people feared burning a lot more than shivering). Christians, especially fundies, have a lot of misconceptions about their religion as it turns out, almost entirely due to them confusing tradition and dogma.

Anyway, I also prefer fundies in a way. They don't pick and choose which parts of the Bible they believe in, they believe it all. Other Christians selectively choose which parts of the Bible they believe are valid which is pretty fucking stupid considering it's all supposedly dictated by God. Then again Fundies also like to pick and choose in certain cases. I've yet to run across someone who didn't invoke the "the OT became obsolete when Jesus died" excuse when I bring up all the passages condoning slavery in the bible (or even worse the "you have to consider the cultural context" argument. Yeah, because it makes perfect sense that God wouldn't tell the guy writing down what would become the only evidence of His existence to refrain from adding in stuff supporting the dominance of men over women and the permission to own and beat slaves).