What would you do / think if you had to see this building everytime you looked outside your window? (You Won't Believe It)

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
What would you do / think if you had to see this building everytime you looked outside your window? (You Won't Believe It)

Yes!!! Outside my kitchen window there's a church RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET! It's kinda funny if you think about it though. When I first moved into this house it kinda made me feel funny but I got use to it after a while, lol. The church can't be anymore than 50-70 yards away...And some nights I can hear creepy rituals and low mummble chanting coming from it. It's one of those pena costal churches where they have all kinds of weird rules like women not being able to wear make-up or nail polish to service.

I love reading all those crazy quotes and stuff they put on that illuminated bulletin board thing they keep outside of the church too. The little sayings they come up with make me laugh sometimes. Sayings like "Too much esposure to the Sun, is know you be good for you." or something like that.

But when ever I look out the window every morning to see what the day looks like; then see this church, I get a really disgusted/puzzled look on my face. I just wonder all the things people could be doing with their time, besides getting brain washed and giving your money away. So my question to everyone is how would you feel if you had to look at this every morning?

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
A church that looks like

A church that looks like that probably wouldn't bother me too much.  I used to live in a tiny southern town with more churches than places to eat, so I'm a bit desensitized to the sight of an average church.  Now the monster that my current roommate used to live across the street from is another matter.  It was one of those 1 sq mile complexes owned by the Southern Baptists.  The grounds of this church dwarfed the local high school (and its in a prime land residential zone too, all tax free, raising everyone else's property taxes).  We had the near daily ritual of driving past it shaking our fists at it in defiance.

We currently live down the road from a methodist church with one of those goofy signs.  Most of the time the sign is just that, goofy, but one of the recent messages on it bothered me deeply.  "Where can I find joy in just living?"  That was it.  One of those depressing messages that assumes that without their special invisible friend, life would be a desolate joyless place.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
HumanisticJones wrote:A

HumanisticJones wrote:

A church that looks like that probably wouldn't bother me too much.  I used to live in a tiny southern town with more churches than places to eat, so I'm a bit desensitized to the sight of an average church.  Now the monster that my current roommate used to live across the street from is another matter.  It was one of those 1 sq mile complexes owned by the Southern Baptists.  The grounds of this church dwarfed the local high school (and its in a prime land residential zone too, all tax free, raising everyone else's property taxes).  We had the near daily ritual of driving past it shaking our fists at it in defiance.

We currently live down the road from a methodist church with one of those goofy signs.  Most of the time the sign is just that, goofy, but one of the recent messages on it bothered me deeply.  "Where can I find joy in just living?"  That was it.  One of those depressing messages that assumes that without their special invisible friend, life would be a desolate joyless place.

Yeah I should be thankful that this one isn't as as big as that Mega Church you just mentioned. One whole square mile of brain washing would be too much of an eye sore for me to bare. The only church I can think of that one here in Missouri that compares to that one is Churh On The Rock. With their many individual complexes, COTR is so big that they even have their on fleet of school buses to come pick your kids up right outside their house. I remember going there as a kid, watching them pass out candy and trying to play little mini-games in order to pull our young tender minds into their grips.

There are too other large high school size churches 2 miles away who are right across from each other themselves. When ever I looked at one of these mega churches the first thing that pops into my head is where did they get all the money to build this massive thing? In my opinion the churches should be the main ones paying taxes in the first place. When I see pastors riding around in expensive cars and living in huge house, it just makes you wonder where all that cash is coming from.

Religion seens to be the best buisness model out there...Since they don't have to buy an inventory, then attempt to make a profit back... Selling lies and false hope is the ultimate cash machine...

Slimm,

Quote:
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called Insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion." - Robert M. Pirsig,

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd mess with their sign at

I'd mess with their sign at night for fun......<.<.....but I'm a little on the radical side.

Slimm
Superfan
Slimm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:I'd mess

Medievalguy wrote:

I'd mess with their sign at night for fun......<.<.....but I'm a little on the radical side.

I've thought of doing something like that before, lol. I even once thought of pretending I was delusional too just so I could get in and do a Blasphemy Challenge inside...

Slimm,

Quote:

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
response

To the question of " What would you think if you had to see this building everytime you looked outside your window?"

I would think that Church is missing a giant cross or some sort of interesting steeple. Who was thinking about combining urine yellow with red-orange bricks as the dominant exterior color scheme? Other than that, I probably wouldn't give too much thought to it unless it had big noisy events that interrupted my peace, or if its members blocked my driveway. I would probably check the sign once and awhile to muse at the sort of quaint Christian propaganda this particular sect is using to attract new sheeple to its flock, while in my head I would be formulating opinions and projections about which slogans might work and which might not. That is what I would think.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I'd go and sit at the end

I'd go and sit at the end of the line as they pass the basket,  then when it got to me I'd jump up and start stuffing the cash in my pockets shouting repeatedly, "thank you Jesus" and walk out. I would have a few friends video cam this at a few churches,  Youtube it,  and maybe get famous,  while explaining that I did this in the name of my indignant atheist Jesus and the sin of idol worship and public prayer etc etc  .....  

[ edit:  The 2 wonderful gals below me here, have lots of good ideas ! ]    

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:  I'd

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I'd go and sit at the end of the line as they pass the basket,  then when it got to me I'd jump up and start stuffing the cash in my pockets shouting repeatedly, "thank you Jesus" and walk out. I would have a few friends video cam this at a few churches,  Youtube it,  and maybe get famous,  while explaining that I did this in the name of my indignant atheist Jesus and the sin of idol worship and public prayer etc etc  .....    

And here I thought you would jump up with the basket and distribute the cash back to the congregation exclaiming "I am god as you" and placing a dollar in your pocket leave them all in stunned silence.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
This could be an awesome

This could be an awesome opportunity to pass out literature or even have a few posters in your yard or something on Sunday mornings.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I once stayed at a hotel

I once stayed at a hotel across from one of the Cathedrals in Baltimore once.  I have to admit it was badass to have a massive piece of Gothic architecture right outside the window.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:I'd mess

Medievalguy wrote:

I debated long and hard about putting a sign next to the nearby methodist church's sign.  When it read "Jesus is the path", I was very tempted to respond with a sign saying "... but Yog Sothoth is both the key and the gate!  IA IA!"

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

Jubal
User is offlineOffline
I'd pay a lot of money to

I'd pay a lot of money to live next to a place as beautiful as say Yorkminster or the Cologne Cathedral. I'm of the opinion that religion has done far no, VASTLY more harm than good in the world. But that doesn't mean it's done NO good. If you aren't moved by beauty, even if it's religious art, I suppose that's a matter of taste. If you refuse to be moved merely BECAUSE the content is religious, I think you're being predjudiced.

But I'm with you on the religious signs thing. I pass two reader boards almost every day, and they usually say something silly and sappy. Last week, the local Baptist church had this gem up:

"NEWS FLASH! Empty Tomb in Jerusalem!"

I don't think I've ever been so tempted to to vandalism before. I so desperately wanted to put up: "Because the guy they claim was in there never existed!"

Being open-minded isn't the same thing as being vacant.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Daft but brilliantly freudian

Jesus Suckers The Poor!

So proclaimed a sign once outside a methodist church in Dublin. Obviously the printer hadn't heard of the word "succour" and just did as the minister told him over the phone when he'd ordered a batch of the posters. On another occasion a rather provocative poster outside the same church asked passers by "Will You Be There Cheering When Jesus Comes?". Seems Mary Magdalane isn't everything she's been cracked up to be!

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To tell you the truth, I

To tell you the truth, I find the architecture more offensive than the idea that it's a church. Look at it! It's like Jesus doesn't care what his house looks like any more! What happened to awesome God-fearing cathedrals of intimidating stone? That church sucks.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ugzog
Bronze Member
ugzog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every time I have to drop my

Every time I have to drop my son off at my parents, I have to drive the "Creationist Museum". Just a quick glance from the interstate makes me angry.

I must life in the crappiest area in the world, south the moronic museum of Creationism, and North the giant butter jesus.

Man is the only animal in all of nature that cannot accept its own mortality.

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
I used to live in this

I used to live in this building that was part of a Government program called "Job Core".  My room had a window pointed at a Koren speaking Church that had a giant glowing cross on the top of it.  It was very hard to get to sleep with this bright light shining though the window.. and I was not allowed to put up curtains on top of it.  I don't know how many times me and my friends talked about shooting out that light, or sneaking to the curch roof and cutting the thing down.  Of course that can be said for the "other" glowing cross that can be seen on a hill going down Highway 101 in Hollywood.  Theists always complain about us rubbing their noses in our atheism... Pot-Kettle-Black.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
All we need is some Buddah

"Every time I have to drop my son off at my parents, I have to drive the "Creationist Museum". Just a quick glance from the interstate makes me angry."

All we need is some Buddah Toast and we got a party!

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: To tell

HisWillness wrote:

To tell you the truth, I find the architecture more offensive than the idea that it's a church. Look at it! It's like Jesus doesn't care what his house looks like any more! What happened to awesome God-fearing cathedrals of intimidating stone? That church sucks.

For an exalted carpenter Jesus has really lost his touch *snickers*.  If it turns out Jesus exists, I hope he's as fruty as one of those guys from "Flip this house" :3

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
A favourite pastime is

A favourite pastime is visiting cathedrals & churches in the UK for their historic and aesthetic value. Winchester Cathedral is a particular favourite for its mix of Norman and Gothic styles, as well as for the perspective that treading the same tiles as so many historic figures gives.

My folks live in a tiny hamlet up in Nottinghamshire where the local church has a history that goes back to the Middle Ages. I think the last time it underwent any kind of decoration was during Cromwell's time - enclosed pews, spartan symbolism etc.

I am awed by buildings that have the beauty and history associated with them that some of these places do, even if I disagree with what they were erected for.

The church in this picture, and the evangelical megachurches ones I have seen around the world are about as aesthetically pleasing as a 1960's tower block, inspiring nothing more than "meh" architecturally and "FFS" on principle.

Stop that... It's silly.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadzaeater wrote:A favourite

Sadzaeater wrote:

A favourite pastime is visiting cathedrals & churches in the UK for their historic and aesthetic value. Winchester Cathedral is a particular favourite for its mix of Norman and Gothic styles, as well as for the perspective that treading the same tiles as so many historic figures gives.

At least those are real churches. Those things were made by hand! I did the same kind of tour a while ago, and it's really awe-inspiring. To me, more because the craftsmanship, even when it's not great, is really good. I can understand why people might get sucked into the awe of God through the cathedrals, though.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: To tell

HisWillness wrote:

Yes, this depressing little church possesses all the architectural charm and grace of the bland Russian apartment buildings built during the Soviet era.  As a building it simply encloses space...nothing more.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Yes,

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Yes, this depressing little church possesses all the architectural charm and grace of the bland Russian apartment buildings built during the Soviet era.  As a building it simply encloses space...nothing more.

You must have seen them, from that description. Exterior plumbing. Yikes. I guess it's easy to do a little maintenance, but it doesn't look all that great.

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would do something like

I would do something like this.

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
JanCham wrote:Of course that

JanCham wrote:

Of course that can be said for the "other" glowing cross that can be seen on a hill going down Highway 101 in Hollywood.  Theists always complain about us rubbing their noses in our atheism... Pot-Kettle-Black.

Y'know... I just drove by that giant lit-up cross next to the 101 the other night, and spent the next 20 miles or so considering the possibility of finding a location that's similarly visible for miles around and erecting a giant, illuminated red "A" like the one a lot of us are using on our websites. SoCal's full of sites that would work; and the odds of the site's owner being sympathetic to our cause (and therefore willing to allow us to display our scarlet letter on his/her land) are likely much higher here in the Devil's own playground... and the popularity of this area with tourists would mean so many more people exposed to the installation.

Seriously, if I owned the right property and had the funds to do it, I'd erect this thing in a heartbeat; if for no other reason, just to see how long it would take for some fundy assholes to file a complaint - and from which obscenely profitable church they hailed. If nothing else, it would get more exposure for our grievances and our position.

I also fantasize from time to time about buying property adjacent to Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa (which I don't think is possible - they've probably swallowed up every bit of land for a few miles around their compound) and opening some sort of business that is clearly an atheist enterprise (I dunno... bookstore or maybe a secular school?). I'd be sure to outfit it with my own version of "church sign," displaying a message that would provide a counterbalance to whatever bullshit Pastor Chuck and his minions are offering the CCCM-sheeple as weekly inspiration.

But I freely admit to having what must seem to many an IRRATIONAL hate and disgust for that particular church and its pastor. The only GOOD thing I can say about it is that it was a CCCM bible study session I attended shortly after being "saved" as a teenager (a state which lasted a very short time, thankfully), which demonstrated to me all too clearly that there was no way in Hell (heh) I could possibly EVER call myself a Christian. After all, here were these people who claimed to be the "true" Christians (because they were biblical literalists), telling me that in order for me to join the flock and truly be one of them, I was required to believe that the Genesis stories happened exactly as written and weren't myth or metaphor, but a true historical record of creation. My inability to set aside what I know to be true in favor of blind faith was the killing blow to anything even remotely resembling a willingness to consider Christianity true, or in any way "good" - for myself or anyone else I care about.

That was 30 years ago... today the church is far larger than any of us could've imagined back then, and has far more political power than is right or proper. Worse still, my boyfriend (whom I've known since the mid-70s), who is one of the most brilliant men I've ever known, has been infected with the delusional beliefs of CCCM. He actually considers Chuck "Peanut Butter Disproves Evolution" Missler as a credible authority... the man's an engineer, not a scientist! I must find "neutral" articles to give the bf that refute Missler's ridiculous "theories." If something's blatantly anti-Christian, he won't read it. Any help with that from you scholarly types would be much appreciated, indeed! Laughing out loud

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
You should count yourself

You should count yourself lucky, when religion dies in America as it has in the rest of the rest of the Western world American churches will be converted to bars/pubs and restuarants like they are in the UK.

If any Americans are ever in London I can take you to prayer over quite a few beers if you want (more proof of the superiority of the FSM!)

Whats even weirder some of the still active churches are also bars/restuarants. St Martins Church in London has a nice restuarant in the crypt itself. Christianity church of england style more booze less paedophilia

Jon

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I can

HisWillness wrote:

I can understand why people might get sucked into the awe of God through the cathedrals, though.

I've read that the reason why they were made so huge and majestic was so that those that entered it felt humbleness toward god. 

I've been to YorkMinster.  All I can say is...WOW.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci