Your Life is What You Make of It. Fortune is No Object.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your Life is What You Make of It. Fortune is No Object.

I'm so weary of this one. Living in what seems to be an entreprenuer's wet dream in Alberta, this rhetoric gets spat into my ear on a daily basis:

Where you are is a result of the choices you make. Luck has nothing to do with it[.

It's moralistic bullshit, lofted as some sort of almighty and ultimate truth by individuals who've become affluent and wish to believe that it's essentially because they're just plain better than the rest of us schmucks. Yes, of course making good decisions is going to be beneficial for you. But it's a miles long leap to state that bad things and shitty circumstances only come your way as a result of poor decision making or a negative outlook. And it's also quite a detour around logical and realistic thinking to conclude that negative people only ever wind-up shoveling poo for the duration of their lives.

I think this 'ultra moralistic' train of thought should be included as an irrational precept. It seems like it's all over the place, it's designed to mostly to make people feel inadequate and it makes already wealthy people a ton more wealth in the form of 'self-help' books and 'motivational' seminars.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I agree. Much of success is

I agree. Much of success is due to things such as circumstances of birth, who you happen to know, and yes random luck.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team